Your preferred platform for each generation?

Woodsteel95

Started in gen 3...damn, I'm old!

Gen 3: NES

Gen 4: Super NES

Gen 5: N64

Gen 6: GameCube

Gen 7: Started with XBox 360, later changed to PS3

Gen 8: PS4

Gen 9: Will be PS5

Likely PlayStation beyond that. Note I also played Sega Genesis, PS1, PS2, Wii, and Wii U, but not my main consoles. I also have a Switch now, but I mainly use it as a handheld. 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodsteel95 said:

Damn you had a Nintendo upbringing and switched over. I'm curious what made you switch from Nintendo to Xbox, then to PlayStation?

I didn't, I still have Nintendo as well. And PC. I've always been multiplatform, the difference is only that, as a kid, you don't get all the platforms of course, but I was never opposed to playing on SEGA or PlayStations that my friends owned. Since PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube Era, I had all three, until the Xbox One. As an adult, I play everywhere, I'm pretty much platform agnostic.

So Nintendo has always been there, even in the Wii U years (and I played a lot of Wii U) but during the X360 era, I got better internet and got more into online games, which is, to this day, a domain where Nintendo is lacking. The Xbox 360 became my main in that generation because, on PS3, I only played exclusives while almost all the multi-platform titles were better on X360 than PS3. I was also the time of COD and Gears of War and Project Gotham Racing online :D Spent way too much time with those games haha

Nowadays, I don't play on Xbox anymore simply because I have a great gaming PC, and everything, literally everything, on Xbox is also on PC so there is no need at all anymore to own an Xbox in my opinion. Also, the Xbox One was, again in my opinion, a very bad console and Microsoft lost all the goodwill with me that they build up during the X360 era. The X360 was huge for me, I had three Xbox 360s and a massive amount of games! I mean I sold over two-thirds of my Xbox 360 collection over the years and I still have over 100 games for it :D It was also the time when I started working (got my Xbox 360 in 2006, and started at the job I still do to this day in 2007) but still lived with my parents, so I indulged a lot in gaming :D 

While I grew up on Nintendo and they will always be special for me because of memories of playing their games with my dad etc. I have never been blindly loyal to a "brand" and always tried the "other side". As a kid, I was the one with the N64 where half the kids in the village came over to play GoldenEye or watch me play Zelda, while another friend was the one with the PlayStation where we played Tony Hawks and Resident Evil.

So I always was open to owning "everything". The only exception, for some reason, where the Sony handhelds. Never had one, and never was interested in having one.

EDIT: what might explain why I never was "Nintendo only" is that I always also played on PC. I only had the Nintendo consoles (sometimes even late in their cycle, especially NES and SNES) since my family didn't have a lot of money but we always had a computer in the house. I started playing on PC in the DOS days and still do to this day. I even have a Win98Se emulation installed on my current PC to play old games :D 

Edited by Sicho

1 hour ago, INVESTIGATOR said:

all PlayStations, no reason to go anywhere else yet

You've missed some of the best games then

Gen 2: Zx Spectrum 48k

Gen 3: Master System

Gen 4: Snes

Gen 5: Playstation

Gen 6: quit gaming so none

Gen 7: PS3

Gen 8: Snes mini ?

Gen 9: Series X

Edited by RedDevil757

Started with the NES as well                                                                                        Gen 3: NES                                              Gen 4: SNES                                            Gen 5: PS1                                              Gen 6: PS2                                              Gen 7: XBox 360 at first, later switched over to PS3                                             Gen 8: PS4                                             Gen 9: PS5.                                                                                                              Staying with PlayStation most likely at point in time.  Let's see, a lot of time on the Genesis in Gen 4, Wii U was in there for a time, handhelds being the Vita and the various DS systems.

NES

Sega Genesis

PS1

….. 

PS3

PS4

PS5

Skipped PS2 generation (my roaring 20’s).  Got back into gaming with PS3 around 30 y/o (i.e. married, started family and social life slowed down a little as more time at home)

Edited by djb5f

5th gen: PS1 Slim but I don't remember much of this gen since I was a kid. 

6th gen: Strictly PS2 (Slim Ver.)

7th gen: Started it with an Xbox 360 Arcade in 2007 and ended it with a PS3 Super Slim in 2013 to replace my 2010 Slim model after it died. 

8th gen: PS4 and later upgraded to the Pro.