Tips to tackle the Spider Thread?

Popeguy

I'm 61/116 upgrades deep and haven't finished yet so take what I say with a grain of salt, this is just how I'm tackling it. I mainly focused on the QOL stuff. I started from the innermost skills and worked my way out, while skipping out if something nice unlocked from leveling up like core rip speed, extra food carries,  prayer bead slot 2 and 3. More base health (really important, enemies hit like trucks past floor 10)

For spider thread just disassemble all the chaos beads you get after 3 floors and always prioritize grabbing bundles if the map has one. They add up, I'm Lv42 and spent pretty liberally, and have 33 saved up now since I'm approaching Lv50 for the iron beads. From floors 12+ onward you find thread bundles that are worth 3 a piece. Haven't seen anything higher yet since I haven't made it past floor 16.

For beads I used exposure Lv3, venture beads lv3 (I take it off if its a combat heavy map), and spirit perception beads lv3 to find those pesky magatama / cats

Edited by Tunnel1ngEffect
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Adam-noid said:

I can't even meet 1 Kamaitachi after finishing 90 floors.

karakasa-kozo is rare too, I only meet once.

Yeah I don't recommend continuing on after Floor 30, just reset back to floor 1 because Floors 1 - 30 are always pre-set maps and so it is easier to hunt the yokai and cats. Floors 31+ are randomised sets so it makes it harder to find specific yokai or cats you actually need to hunt. Also Floors 31+ add more floor maps that you don't encounter in Floors 1 - 30 and none of the extra floor maps have yokai or cats on them.

I went to Floor 201 and decided to restart because I was missing one cat, and I knew which floor map it was on but I just couldn't get the game to give it to me. I then found the cat at Floor 10 after soft-resetting a few times so definitely saved a lot of time

• Like 2

Hi all,

Having heaps of trouble finding the yokai 's as follows;

I have 1/3 Nurikabe but have no idea what floor it spawned on

I have 1/3 Kamaitachi but still no idea where it came from

If anyone can remember that would be awesome, or even some advice on how you got them;

Currently sitting with 85/89 completed but need 2 cats, 2 Nurikabe, 2 Kamaitachi

1 hour ago, hiryu said:

Is one of the challenges really require to complete 30 levels without being hit? 1f914.png

Yes, however this becomes quite easy once you reach level 50 and unlock the iron beads. Equip the beads and you kill every enemy with one hit including bosses. Only catch is you die in one hit. But if you utilise the close game during death animation strategy you only ever  lose max 3 floors of progress as the game auto saves at the cats paw safe house every 3 floors. It’s very doable and nowhere near as painful as hunting the yokai and cats. Hope this helps ?

4 hours ago, MACHONACHO44556 said:

Yeah but with iron beads and being able to close application if you die it isn't difficult

4 hours ago, Dr_Scaphism_MD said:

Yes, however this becomes quite easy once you reach level 50 and unlock the iron beads. Equip the beads and you kill every enemy with one hit including bosses. Only catch is you die in one hit. But if you utilise the close game during death animation strategy you only ever  lose max 3 floors of progress as the game auto saves at the cats paw safe house every 3 floors. It’s very doable and nowhere near as painful as hunting the yokai and cats. Hope this helps 1f60a.png

Thanks guys! At this moment I cannot imagine getting to level 10, not even 30 or 50 for those iron beads but maybe. Platinum first

34 minutes ago, hiryu said:

Thanks guys! At this moment I cannot imagine getting to level 10, not even 30 or 50 for those iron beads but maybe. Platinum first

It's a character level not stage progression just to be clear. It only takes a few hours to reach level 50. I think I was level 50 before I even made it through stage 21

6 hours ago, MACHONACHO44556 said:

It's a character level not stage progression just to be clear. It only takes a few hours to reach level 50. I think I was level 50 before I even made it through stage 21

Thanks!

They made it confusing af :/

I've been at it for about 10 hours now and I'm nearly level 43 with about half the Yokai and cats found so this is what I'd say from my experience so far.

• Your primary goal is to just play through the levels until you reach Synergy Level 50 due to you wanting the Iron Beads ASAP. The main issue with the levels is just the enemy encounters, not the platforming or anything like that and when they throw you into the boss fights like in floor 6 or Kuchisake fights it's something you really want to make things go by smoother.
  • The further down the floors you go the higher EXP and Nekomata Koban amounts you get from every source so keep that in mind.
  • You are going to spend a lot of time dying so get used to it. The only thing you lose when dying is a % of your Nekomata Koban and any Chaos Beads you had on hand so don't stockpile too much money and always make sure to convert Chaos Beads to Spirit Threads if you aren't using them. I only keep one Chaos Bead on me at any given time and the rest immediately get disassembled.
  • If you are going to die open up your menu and use whatever money you can on whatever skills you don't have unlocked so you make the most of your money.
  • Always try to go for all the food and money items floating around. Any food that is left over once you return to the Cat's Paw gets converted into money.
    • Food also buffs your max HP just like in the main game so if you don't care as much about money or EXP from optional "Don't use consumable" missions then use the food whenever you take damage.
  • Enemies are scaled meaning something like the Kuchisakes you encounter on the early floors don't deal as much damage or resist as much damage as on the later floors.
    • Conversely this also means that things like the Wanderers and Paper Doll variants become very dangerous the further in you go as they deal boatloads of damage with their ranged attacks.
  • Any enemies that have multiple hit combos such as the Rain Slasher (The OL) the Shadow Hunter (The policeman Visitor), the Relentless Walker (The fat silver-suited ornate umbrella guy with a hammer), or Rage Walker (The fat red guy with the aura) can kill you as you're recoiling from getting hit. If you see these guys rushing you switch to Water and do an attack then a charge attack to get them off your back and whatever you do do not get into close quarters on a rooftop or a corner against Shadow Hunters. It's basically a restart unless you perfect block at least two attacks.
    • Failing a second perfect block guarantees your death against Shadow Hunters and Rain Slashers because you can't recover in time to try to parry the third.
    • You can parry the Rage Walker and Relentless Walkers if you want, but if you mess up it's very likely they go for a second swing before you stand back up.
  • Talismans and Arrows are very rare on the maps, and in terms of talismans you typically only get the same type in that stage (I.e. if you get Decoy if there's any other talisman caches on that stage you only get Decoy).
  • Don't touch the Nekomata shop, it's a waste of money that could be going to your skills and you get more than enough food laying around anyway. Once you have your skills it makes more sense to touch it since you can buy Spirit Threads and talismans from it, but I would ignore it until you're fully maxed out.
  • Try to go for optional objectives for the EXP but don't worry about them if you mess up and don't put yourself in harm's way to get that EXP unnecessarily. Once you reach 50 all the optional missions are basically pointless.
  • If you've lost HP and are going back to the safe room then usually, but not always, there will be a cat with a blue glow you can pet at the Cat's Paw once you've rescued one and it will heal you fully.
  • It feels like Kodama, Ittan-momen, and Kamaitachi spawn the most out of all the Yokai. Nurikabe seems delegated to one or two specific rooftop levels, Karakasa-kozo seems to only be in those very specific Infernal Kuchisake stealth levels, and Rokurokubi I only ever saw in this one construction level filled with tons of Lamentations.
    • Also, as soon as the Yokai gets triggered you need to follow it. They have longer timers and farther distances you can be away from them without them disappearing, but they can still disappear. I lost a Rokurokubi because I was fighting a Lamentation.
  • Like in the main game things like trash cans, scooters, and garbage bins all contain money, and typically they spawn in groups of 2 or more that give you more money than a single small golden pot.
  • In terms of your attack types I would say it goes Water = Wind > Fire > Arrows.
    • Water is extremely good at damage and mobbing. While it requires you to be the closest of any of the attack types it does really good damage and because of the Speed Boost upgrade for Charge Attack you can do a normal attack (Which knocks enemies back) and then do a charged attack which has huge range with upgrades and hits multiple times for high damage. Even on bosses this is extremely good as basically everything recoils from the charge attack.
    • Wind is okay but you really need fire rate upgrades before it becomes worth it. It also spews ammo like crazy.
    • Fire is more for bosses or groups that are tightly packed together.
    • Arrows I only ever used on Wanderers, white outfit schoolgirls, and headshots on white shirt/black suit Visitors. Anyone else it wasn't worth it because it takes more than one shot to kill or they move around too much and arrows are fairly rare/expensive.
      • There is one exception. Two fully charged headshots will always kill a Shine Dancer (The tanky rooftop ghosts that fly around laughing).
  • Save Wire In for the "boss" rooms. They make them significantly easier and more doable due to the slowdown and core exposure buff, especially when you have the third upgrade for it.
  • The Infernal Kuchisake is basically their equivalent of the Death mechanic in Persona and will spawn in certain areas if you take too long. It doesn't happen in every map but it happens fairly regularly past floor 10 if you linger in a stage for about four or five minutes.
  • Abuse Aerial Purges, they are by far one of the most broken things added in this patch. As long as you are roughly a person and a half higher than your enemy you can do it meaning you can stand on things like cars or random boxes, jump, and it'll give you the prompt to dash to the enemy and purge them.
    • This also lets you kill anything that's not a Kuchisake, Rage Walker, or Silent Gaze in a single purge which makes encounters with Retributions, Forlorns, and Lamentations more or less free as long as you play it smart.
      • Lamentations in particularly are typically separated, positioned in such a way that you can purge them easily, and as long as you haven't hit them you can run away and lose their aggro to kill them. This is really useful in the level around floor 10 where there's three of them around two corrupted trees since you can pick them off one by one and just tank the corruption damage.
  • When dealing with Retributions it is your best option to just use Exposure Talismans and that should be your exclusive use for those talismans. It instantly exposes them, it forces them out of the water, and it's the safest way to deal with their groups as they're very annoying to deal with normally.

In terms of upgrades you want to prioritize it as follows based on what you can afford or have available to you:

1. Prayer Bead slots.
  2. Spectral Vision, this is extremely important in finding money and food because food also contributes to money.
  3. Melee Core Grab.
  4. Quick Purge.
    1. You want to focus on at least getting the cheap "Enhanced Stealth" upgrade for the normal one as it gives you a chance to kill some bunched up enemies easier and then get the extended timer later on.
    2. Focus on all the Aerial upgrades next as you can literally stand on cars, jump, and it'll usually show you the prompt.
      • Make sure that when you use it you aim it in such a way that when you purge the enemy you will be facing another enemy so you can chain it. You need line of sight in order to chain.
    3. Ground Core Grab should be your least important one. It's useful but in this game mode you really don't want to be near enemies during battle and it's quite risky to chase after them to use it.
  5. Get Charge Attack and then immediately get the Speed Boost upgrade. This allows you to press R2 once after wasting a single shot and then immediately have a charged attack which makes Water extremely useful and Fire really good for bosses.
  6. Get at least one Talisman Capacity Boost as the passive buffs you get from clearing missions start you with a full set of them.
  7. At least one Spirit Absorption - Speed Boost. This is more for your sanity than anything and it's super cheap. They're not as prevalent as the main game so the second buff isn't necessary until you have nothing left to upgrade.
  8. Fire Charge Attack - Radius Boost. You only need one for a while as the default aoe is pretty bad.
  9. Water Weaving - More Shots. This massively buffs the damage of Water and makes staggering enemies way easier.
  10. Water Charge Attack - Width Boost. One is more than fine for a long while.
  11. Both Core Grab speed upgrades.
  12. Core Exposure. You don't need more than one for the first three or four hours but start working on it after that.
  13. Ammo Capacity Upgrades.
    1. I would personally recommend you get a single Fire buff and then start working on water and wind equally. Fire is somewhat important but not as much as the other two.
  14. Wire In duration boosts.
  15. Critical hits for each elemental type.
  16. Ether Boost for more ammo from enemies.
  17. Glide Duration boosts. Get the first boost somewhat early on and leave the second one for far later because the longer one isn't as necessary by comparison.

Leave Ground Pound until you're pretty much done. It's really not that good and generally leaves you extremely vulnerable. Consumable capacity boosts are also 100% worthless as you will never pick up five of the same type of food before you reach the next Cat's Paw. The Charge Rush attacks don't seem worth it at all for the ammo expenditure.

In terms of Prayer Beads:

1. Immediately get Spirit Perception and get them to level 3.
    • This never leaves your arm as a level 3 will notify you of anything whenever you use Spectral Vision, and if you're listening to music or videos or something you can tell if cats are in the map by it causing a wisp to fly over to them if you missed the audio notification and have collected all the Yokai/Spirits/Spirit Threads on the map.
  2. The next one you should get is Spectral Beads.
    • Because you have to run through this game mode for so long it's overall going to be better than the individual damage beads as you play as it'll spread across all damage types and by the time you reach the 20s it should be roughly 20% damage for all damage types. Sure, it's not easy to reach 60%, but it means all your attacks are useful instead of putting your eggs in one basket and wasting a bunch of Spirit Threads to focus on one single damage type bead.
  3. Everything after this is whatever you want until you unlock the Iron Beads. I got Core Beads but typically my third slot was a good Chaos Bead that I got within the first handful of floors.
Edited by soliunasm
  • Like 4

When dealing with Retributions it is your best option to just use Exposure Talismans and that should be your exclusive use for those talismans. It instantly exposes them, it forces them out of the water, and it's the safest way to deal with their groups as they're very annoying to deal with normally.

Retributions are those "swimming" ones.

Just wanted to add that they can be exposed and killed quite quickly with charged fire attack (the red one). It will stun them which gives you time to attack them, or other enemies around. Also standing on something like a car makes most of their attacks ineffective

Thanks, @soliunasm for the great advices!

I suggest buying the Spectral beads from the start. Every hour you play, they increase your overall damage by 2% and you'll be on this mode for about 20-30 hours anyways. I messed up and didn't purchase them first and wasted about 4-5 hours. 

Also, you're going to die a lot and usually after you've collected a yokai or a cat which wipes them out if you didn't get to the Cat's paw save room. You're going to get frustrated so get used to it. Once you've leveled up to 50 and you've bought the Iron Beads you are usually good to go....except for floors with corruption on them or floors where you can fall to your death by missing a jump. You can unequip them mid level if you want. I'm pretty sure you can't touch corruption or miss a jump if you are going for the 30 floors with no damage run so beware. 

Also, tips for the final spider boss on level 30 with the iron beads. The spider has 2 glowing weakspots on the head and belly. Your Iron beads will one shot them....but you need to be patient. Don't shoot right away cause you'll only hit the head. Wait until it sits up a little exposing it's belly. Shoot the belly first and then the head. Rip out the core for the belly first and then the head second. Took me 3 tries before I figured it out. This will save you especially if you are going for a no hit run. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I encounters an Infernal Kuchisake but the counter didn't increase. Am I supposed to alert it first?

No. I didn't alert any. In fact i had 4/5  and it went 5/5 without even seeing the fifth. It was on floor 28 where you have to connect with KK. The other four i found on 15/16 with the umbrella yokai

• 4 months later...

Does it make much of a difference what level you're on if you're looking for certain things? I'm on floor 118 and I just need the last two cats and an Infernal Kuchisake. Is everything completely 100% random or do you have a better chance of completing those challenges within the first 30 floors?