Fiend research professional Achievement "missable"

nathanuc1988

I believe this achievement is technically missable. I've been playing through and gotten all other trophies, but I seem unable to get a Piranha to spawn. I'm assuming it's because I'm in the mid level 50s, but only Red Piranha's are spawning in over an hour of trying. I'm not sure if any other monster has a similar issue. I've gotten all other's done in the bestiary.

Good news is bestiary seems to be across all saves, so I just have to get far enough to get a new canoe. Still fairly annoying.....

Confirmed too; within about 5 encounters on a new save I got one. New save I was around level 18. Good news is it only takes about an hour rushing to get a canoe to get to a piranha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nathanuc1988 said:

I believe this achievement is technically missable. I've been playing through and gotten all other trophies, but I seem unable to get a Piranha to spawn. I'm assuming it's because I'm in the mid level 50s, but only Red Piranha's are spawning in over an hour of trying. I'm not sure if any other monster has a similar issue. I've gotten all other's done in the bestiary.

Good news is bestiary seems to be across all saves, so I just have to get far enough to get a new canoe. Still fairly annoying.....

Confirmed too; within about 5 encounters on a new save I got one. New save I was around level 18. Good news is it only takes about an hour rushing to get a canoe to get to a piranha. 

Is this is character level thing or do they stop spawning if you go too far into the story? Because this is a really strange thing to happen based on level.

Piranha's are in the rivers and can have Red Piranha's spawn with them. I've had no problem getting creatures I have missed. Some are in one floor/area (like a desert).

Piranha's appear in the rivers near Mt. Gulg, Waterfall Cavern, and Western Keep. 

So far, I haven't had problems getting enemies to spawn so much. Like the red Orcho Jelly, which I was reading is a rare spawn. Heck, I checked which floors it would spawn, then went looking for a fight, and it spawned like, right away for me.

So I would say, it's all RNG, since I am having small issues with getting some monsters to spawn in the Terra Cavern at the moment, like Minotaurs and such. But I'll run around to search for them a while longer. My team can hold out in a fight for the most part, so I'm not too fussed on getting my ass beat.

Took forever for me to find a Pirahna. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, but they should have spawned like mad once you got the canoe. Can't prove it but it certainly feels like they changed the encounters completely. I did finally find one near Crescent Lake and another in the lake to the east of Mirage Tower.

Both were in a group consisting of Piranha, Red Piranha, Hydra, and Crocodile (I think), but was in a group of 4.

I need a Cockatrice to spawn, as it didn't spawn in the Cavern of Earth. But apparently it can also spawn in other areas, so hopefully it'll spawn eventually.

At the moment, haven't missed anything, well, save for the other version of the Ochu thing (the weird plant thing). But I believe it spawns in another location later on in the story.

What I am hoping I can do right now for Mt Gulag is run around the first area to get all the monsters to spawn that I need, so I don't have to worry about the lava right now. Then afterwards, turn off encounters, run around that dungeon collecting chests and fighting whatever boss is in there.

On 22.4.2023 at 3:33 AM, FulgidoLucio said:

Nevermind, I'm just worried about Warmech. It didn't spawn to me in 30 minutes.

Those are rookie numbers. I tried an hour before  

Spoiler

Tiamat

Now I have 100% everything but WarMech. This attempt his rate isn't 3 in 64. It's 0 in 600

I am going mental. I try it for 2 hours strait, I look up a video to chek if you need to be on a specific part of the bridge and what would you know? 2 encounters later I get him .....

Edited by C0rtEz442
  • Like 1

All I know is on my first save, I tried in various places for nearly 2 hours and never got one. On a fresh save, I got one 3rd spawn and could get one to spawn every 2-3 fights. I even went back to the same exact places and tried for another 30 minutes just to test and never saw one. 

On 4/20/2023 at 3:32 PM, Alos88 said:

Is this is character level thing or do they stop spawning if you go too far into the story? Because this is a really strange thing to happen based on level.

I was just speculating it could be level related, but there's no way to know. I had a save from my first playthrough that was right before the final boss, but that save could not seem to get one to spawn either. My new save just got to the canoe and can get them spawning easily. 

EDIT: to add, Warmech only took me about 25 minutes and my friend about 40 minutes. Not really important/relevant to this, but surely a piranha isn't supposed to be more rare than warmech. 

Edited by nathanuc1988

13 hours ago, nathanuc1988 said:

All I know is on my first save, I tried in various places for nearly 2 hours and never got one. On a fresh save, I got one 3rd spawn and could get one to spawn every 2-3 fights. I even went back to the same exact places and tried for another 30 minutes just to test and never saw one. 

I was just speculating it could be level related, but there's no way to know. I had a save from my first playthrough that was right before the final boss, but that save could not seem to get one to spawn either. My new save just got to the canoe and can get them spawning easily. 

EDIT: to add, Warmech only took me about 25 minutes and my friend about 40 minutes. Not really important/relevant to this, but surely a piranha isn't supposed to be more rare than warmech. 

I had the issue with getting Mindflayers to spawn, but eventually got them to spawn.

But man, having trouble getting a Baslisk to spawn in particular (Weretiger I can try the Mirage Tower apparently, when I get to it).

11 minutes ago, FrostDragoon28 said:

I’m 4 hours on this bridge looking for Warmech there is no way the wiki is right with the 5% encounter rate, either that or Square for some reason lowered the encounter rate

I too question the encounter rate for War Mech. I actually found him twice, since I lost the first time, but I fought around 300 battles. The chance of that is incredibly small, probability-wise.

But, just keep at it. You'll get there.

36 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I too question the encounter rate for War Mech. I actually found him twice, since I lost the first time, but I fought around 300 battles. The chance of that is incredibly small, probability-wise.

But, just keep at it. You'll get there.

Just got the Plat took about 400 encounters

• Like 1