Should I start this game?

shxrpay

Exactly what the title says, should I start it? One confirmation I’d like is if you can autopop from PS5-PS4 because although I’m 99% sure you can I wanna know for a fact since I’m planning on starting with the PS5 trial version. It seems interesting enough and honestly I don’t care about the time sink. So is it worth it to start at this point?

I mean, honestly it depends on what you value most.

Its a really really good MMO, an incredible story and community.

That being said, its an MMO. A lot of people dont like MMOs and IMO if you dont like MMOs anyway, you wont like this.

If you value the platinum above everything else, its going to take a thousand hours from scratch. Its incredibly long, you'll be playing it realistically 10 hours a week to get the most out of it at least.

MMOs are always a timesink but FF14 is just absolutely brilliant as one.

• Like 1

The Community is awesome, the Free Trial will give you a ton of stuff to do but also some roadblocks, no trading/no Marketboard or inviting into groups. 300k Gil max for free Trial users.

The ARR Story can be sluggish but it picks up with Heavensward.

Game should also be considered RPG first, MMO second. 

If you like mmos, you´ll probably will like this one aswell.

And yea, Free Trial is there for a reason :D

• Like 1

Late response but yes!!

I haven’t played FFXIV myself much except the demo. I gotta find the right time and right people to commit to it, I don’t even care about the trophies honestly but it is a MMO and I want to start it at a time where I think it’s valuable!

It is one of the best MMO’s around for sure and definitely all time! If you play for the game, you will most likely enjoy it all the way through! I wish I can start it at some point ? I played the demo on PC not too long ago and it was great honestly 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 3:07 PM, lie said:

Exactly what the title says, should I start it? One confirmation I’d like is if you can autopop from PS5-PS4 because although I’m 99% sure you can I wanna know for a fact since I’m planning on starting with the PS5 trial version. It seems interesting enough and honestly I don’t care about the time sink. So is it worth it to start at this point?

No, play it on pc then when the game is done releasing content if you REALLY want the plat/100% buy the ps5 licenses and auto pop what u can while re-clearing what you can't auto pop. If I had known they would have this type of trophy support for the life of FF14 i would have never switched from the ps4 to the ps5 version. This is all of course in my opinion. There are trophies that have nothing at all to do with friends or party structure on that list some of them are kinda difficult and require a fair bit of dedication.

It's not just a time sink, as patches have continued to role out they have increased what kind of trophies are being bundled in, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually an ultimate raid becomes part of a trophy considering they added the deep dungeon solo trophy. Maybe even extremely grindy pvp achievements could eventually be added...it's pot luck at this point. If you feel confident with the amount of time and effort you'll put in then by all means try it out. But I would still emphasize going with pc so there's no real commitment. (I wish I had)

PS I see you started it on ps4 that's fine, that grind was ok and very manageable, nothing even remotely close to the hoop jumping that ps5's list has on it (or will become in the future for all we know).

Edited by Asmund
  • Like 3

I can confirm what Asmund Said. Never thought they Start to put some really bullshit trophies in it. I love the Game, But because of the trophy List it becomes more a Job than a game to login and relax. With the Solo stuff do 110 Blue Mage Missions, i think its just the beginning. The developers Start losing theyre minds. The Game really Lost a little bit of magic for me because of the List because i Dont have the feeling to make other stuff then trophy content. Dont do it if you like to play other games too imo. Kills a lot of the Experience if you want to 100% it.

Edited by VER7UZ-
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly this game used to be at the top of of my FF list but trying to keep up with the trophy list has soured me on the game a bit over time. I haven't played since my few orthos attempts and I don't know when I'll return. I'll probably come back at some point cause I can't help myself but I'm not looking forward to it. Which is a shame since this game was great to go in casually for a while and relax but not really anymore. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VER7UZ- said:

We should Start a Petition for yoshida for Seeing it, that the trophy Game destroys the Experience for Many people 1f31d.png

Then I'll go ahead and make a counter petition; I actually really like that they're implementing trophies for all different types of content. ?  It gives an incentive to try out different things you wouldn't usually do. And the ingame achievements would be there either way. If someone enjoys getting trophies, I would assume they also like getting ingame achievements ?

Edited by PraiseTheFluppi
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, PraiseTheFluppi said:

Then I'll go ahead and make a counter petition; I actually really like that they're implementing trophies for all different types of content. 1f601.png  It gives an incentive to try out different things you wouldn't usually do. And the ingame achievements would be there either way. If someone enjoys getting trophies, I would assume they also like getting ingame achievements 1f914.png

Challange accepted ?. I like trophies but that doesnt mean i collect the achievments in the Game. If im close to finish something then be my Guest  but Doing 10.000 Dungeons or pvp? No Thanks. 

Its Not the Problem they put trophies for all Kind of stuff, but which trophies. Doing eureka Solo is Maybe doable, but Many people Dont like such things. It should be a Challange you want to get and Not a Developer ist telling you so. Of course Mandy trophies are so also in other Games. But its an mmorpg there is always coming new content every Few months. Other games comes to an End, but they put more hardcore trophies and extremly time consuming Trophies in it, and you cant Go ahead or go With the Speed of new addons. Escpecially you want to Play other Games as well. Thats the Problem in my eyes. Thats Why  I liked the newfound Adventure trophy set. Short and simple And you can do other stuff After Doing all of this. Story trophy one Savage trophy, Alliance raid and collecting. Thats it. like skateryoshi Said: go in Casually and relax. Thats the Point.

if you loving it that why its ok, but imo they a have to Calm  down a Little Bit with their trophy decisions. I want to Learn all 110 Blue Mage Skills because i want to Not because i have to. 

Edited by VER7UZ-

Great game, quit around the time blood storm? Came out, mainly due to RL commitments.

I would also recommend doing this on PC or ps4;  can auto pop pc>platform at any time. And ps4 is soo much simpler vs ps5 list; only major grind was the 1,000 fates. Think that one popped when I had 3 max level (50 at the time) jobs.

Easier for communications on pc side of things too, with discord or ventrillo,

• Like 2

On 7/25/2023 at 4:24 PM, VER7UZ- said:

Challange accepted 1f60e.png. I like trophies but that doesnt mean i collect the achievments in the Game. If im close to finish something then be my Guest  but Doing 10.000 Dungeons or pvp? No Thanks. 

Its Not the Problem they put trophies for all Kind of stuff, but which trophies. Doing eureka Solo is Maybe doable, but Many people Dont like such things. It should be a Challange you want to get and Not a Developer ist telling you so. Of course Mandy trophies are so also in other Games. But its an mmorpg there is always coming new content every Few months. Other games comes to an End, but they put more hardcore trophies and extremly time consuming Trophies in it, and you cant Go ahead or go With the Speed of new addons. Escpecially you want to Play other Games as well. Thats the Problem in my eyes. Thats Why  I liked the newfound Adventure trophy set. Short and simple And you can do other stuff After Doing all of this. Story trophy one Savage trophy, Alliance raid and collecting. Thats it. like skateryoshi Said: go in Casually and relax. Thats the Point.

if you loving it that why its ok, but imo they a have to Calm  down a Little Bit with their trophy decisions. I want to Learn all 110 Blue Mage Skills because i want to Not because i have to. 

Good news, you don't HAVE to. Don't get all the whinging from non completionists about completionist activities. This is why I actively want a Big Fish trophy for 6.5(5), just to see the fallout

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, FireMage777 said:

Good news, you don't HAVE to. Don't get all the whinging from non completionists about completionist activities. This is why I actively want a Big Fish trophy for 6.5(5), just to see the fallout

Oh Wow, thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, if you want to 100% the game, yes you HAVE to. Enjoy your gloating as much as you want. 

Edited by VER7UZ-
  • Like 1

To the person who started this thread, let me answer you carefully: I highly recommend doing the Free Trial to see if you like it, because this can become a serious time commitment due to all the daily and weekly content, like dungeon roulettes. The Free Trial leads up to the final quests of Heavensward and you can continue from your character once you buy the expansions. However, there are a lot of things you will need to wait on due to daily resets being a thing, so you may need to log in daily to keep up with stuff like retainer ventures, Grand Company turn-ins and stuff like that. That said, try it first and if you feel overwhelmed, you don't have to commit. ;)

• Like 3

I will say as someone that played it for a bit with my fiancée, I had a ton of fun! Even with the base ARR content that I have been told is on the weaker end of story.

Were it not for RL commitments and the monthly subscription, I would be playing it likely every day. Just keep in mind that it is a MMO, so it obviously a BIG game. And it is a constantly updated game as well that still receives large expansions. And from my limited experience with the game (around 20-30 hours) the community is pretty inviting! Like Taruta said before me though, I would give the free trial a shot to see how you feel about it personally. ?

This thread has kind of made me want to jump back in as well, lol

• Like 1

To me the problem isn't necessarily each challenge individually, even though I think they are already out of hand with what they ask of you. It's all of them together, creating dauntless tasks one after another. To have any hope of achieving and keeping 100% the time sink is too enormous. You pretty much have to only play FF14 and forget about playing anything else. which is counter to Yoshi P's stance on being able to play other games and come back. 

I agree that the newfound Adventure trophy set was a great balance and I was hoping the patches would follow this model but unfortunately not :/

• Like 2

First of all the op said they dont care about the time sink. Great! Its best you dont care. Because the time for 100% us indefinite as there will be many more expansions in years, decades to come.

The trophies though are not exactly autopop, u do have to do 1 more of each thing to pop them if u got it on other console/pc. 

The game is probably one of the best FF experience. If you have real friends it even better. Tackling this massive world together us fkibg cool.

I think the biggest thing with this game is the mindset you have towards it. If you care deeply about your trophy completion rate and value it above all else, then playing this game on PS5 will inevitably feel like a job to you (play on PC instead if you can). It will take a lot of commitment and genuine interest to keep playing the game for years to come. The patch updates will only keep pumping out trophies that basically require you to do every content the game has to offer. I seriously am expecting a Big Fishing  gold trophy for 6.5 - which if you know anything about Big Fishing in FF14, is a task that can require years to complete. I'm not trying to scare away new players from this game but what I am saying is that since this game is an MMO, it is going to be a massive time sink. Therefore, you should set your expectations accordingly and just let your interest for the game take over.

From what I've been seeing in this forum, a lot are getting fed up and frustrated with how each patch keeps giving more and more demanding trophies. I think if it's getting to a point that the game's trophies are actively harming how you enjoy the game, then you need to start ignoring the trophies entirely (or better yet take a break, 7.0 is a long ways off).

At the end of the day it's about having fun. I've been playing this game since ARR and while the game has its up and downs (Endwalker to me right now is a low point in terms of content) I still very much love playing it. The trophy list actually made me try out content I have always neglected or wouldn't have even tried otherwise (like Triple Triad for example). Obviously being a long-time player it's a lot easier to keep up with each patch and I recognize that privilege. But right now even casually playing this game (99% of the time on PC instead of PS5) since I can't no-life it anymore due to work, I'm still able to keep up with patches relatively easily. Like I said before it is your mindset and genuine interest for the game that will do the heavy-lifting. Enjoy the game for what it is, instead of fixating on the trophies. Treat them as a bonus not as the end goal.

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I personally welcome all of the trophies. The only truly hard thing on the list has been the Eureka Orthos trophy. Everything else is pretty tame. I meant they could have gotten pretty crazy with the Bluemage stuff but kept it simple since you don't need to do the extremes or savages.

It is weird though how they didn't include a trophy for clearing TOP but included one for Eureka Solo 100 on the same patch. I guess they draw the line on Ultimates being 'too much' which I kind of disagree on. Watch them put out a 'catch all Big Fish' trophy for 6.5 and somehow assume that that is easier than clearing any of the game's current ultimate fights lmao.

Edited by PostGameBlues

14 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

It is weird though how they didn't include a trophy for clearing TOP but included one for Eureka Solo 100 on the same patch. I guess they draw the line on Ultimates being 'too much' which I kind of disagree on. Watch them put out a 'catch all Big Fish' trophy for 6.5 and somehow assume that that is easier than clearing any of the game's current ultimate fights lmao.

It would be. Fishing isn't hard. The most mechanically difficult fish is Stethacanthus, just because of the whole Double Hooking a collectable bit for the intuition. Responding to fish RNG isn't hard, and barely requires skill

24 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

I agree. I didn't do TOP yet but did DSR in 6.1 and was like, why don't I get a trophy for this? They are pretty odd with what they give trophies to. For instance, we probably should have a trophy for doing Criterion Savage. That's definitely easier than an Ultimate and EO, but I'll do anything they toss my way. Hoping to see a trophy tied to getting all of the Extreme mounts in 6.5. Would give me an incentive to start farming those again.

Heck, I wish they would have done more varied trophies for the older expansions. Having some trophies tied to things like doing Eureka, Bazja, old relics, and whatnot would have been cool.

• Like 1