PS5 hard crash

tonkie18

I’m having an issue with the game Trove. It’s notoriously bad for crashing, but the last 2 days it has given my console a hard crash and I have to unplug to switch it back on. Is this game going to break my console? Any ideas how to stop it happening?

33 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

I’m having an issue with the game Trove. It’s notoriously bad for crashing, but the last 2 days it has given my console a hard crash and I have to unplug to switch it back on. Is this game going to break my console? Any ideas how to stop it happening?

Is it getting hot playing the game?

Yes only this game. It’s just happened again. 3 times in 2 days. I’ve been playing it for 3 weeks. It crashes at least hourly, sometimes crash after crash. But the hard crashes started yesterday. I’ve had 2 today ?

Its not massively hot no. I will try cleaning it with my air can thing. Can this be really damaging to the console or all my saves etc?

I’m gutted because it’s my new favourite game ?

I’ll try cleaning it but if that doesn’t work I may have to alternate consoles frequently I’ve got another PS5 I can use. But that’s a pain.

Do you guys know if a game has broken a console? Is it possible it’s the game that is doing it?

Ive turned it off for a bit, but it really doesn’t feel massively hot. 

18 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

Yes only this game. It’s just happened again. 3 times in 2 days. I’ve been playing it for 3 weeks. It crashes at least hourly, sometimes crash after crash. But the hard crashes started yesterday. I’ve had 2 today ?

Its not massively hot no. I will try cleaning it with my air can thing. Can this be really damaging to the console or all my saves etc?

I’m gutted because it’s my new favourite game ?

I’ll try cleaning it but if that doesn’t work I may have to alternate consoles frequently I’ve got another PS5 I can use. But that’s a pain.

Do you guys know if a game has broken a console? Is it possible it’s the game that is doing it?

do you still have a ps4? if so maybe try playing just that game on that console

btw it is a ps4 game right?

48 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

Yes only this game. It’s just happened again. 3 times in 2 days. I’ve been playing it for 3 weeks. It crashes at least hourly, sometimes crash after crash. But the hard crashes started yesterday. I’ve had 2 today 1f61e.png

I’m gutted because it’s my new favourite game 1f614.png

It probably just needs cleaning. Have you ever cleaned it? This guy here does a great video showing you how easy it is to do 

Edited by RedDevil757

10 hours ago, tonkie18 said:

Could honestly be the game itself. When i bought CoD Cold War it hard crashed my console. Took awhile to turn on. Had to unplug, try twice boot in safe mode etc. Only happened that once and there were threads about it on reddit and other Playstation sites. Never happened again. So I'd consider playing something else while waiting on a patch and see if it happens in any other games. 

I'm certain you know to keep console ventilated etc so im not going to be that guy who's like "derp clean console derp, because derp". 

Be careful about forcing it. I lost my PS3 that way. It beeped 3 times then shut off while I was trying to stream Crunchyroll. I tried again, it beeped 3 times, shut off again and never ran again after that. I assume the soldering around the CPU melted. This was several years ago on a PS3 but I never got over it.

14 hours ago, LukeTheGooner said:

do you still have a ps4? if so maybe try playing just that game on that console

btw it is a ps4 game right?

Yeah it’s PS4. My PS4 sounds like a jet and don’t think it will run it easily especially with all the crashing Trove has. I’ve got a spare I can maybe dig out if playing it on the PS5 is the issue.

@RedDevil757 yeah I bought the tools last year and did it. Will probably need a refresher so thanks for the video. I have been cleaning the outside just not taken it apart frequently which I maybe should have done.

@Infected Elite god I hope they do make their game better cause even the game crashing constantly is really annoying. Keep losing progress.

@ruexnimbus I’m not surprised that sounds traumatising! I can imagine it’s like one of the family has died. My console is my baby ? yeah think I’ll be taking it apart, cleansing it of Trove bugs and playing it on one of my consoles I don’t care as much about ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

Yeah too bloody much ? I’m just addicted to Trove 1f648.png withdrawals. Taking the console apart now.

if you havent done it before, depending how deep you wish to clean it, youtube TronicsFix . Steve is pretty informative but i am guessing you have taken it apart already before. :P

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 0:23 AM, tonkie18 said:

I had similar problems in the first 6 months of my PS5 with any game, Like the machine would just die and take many attempts to even power on only to go through rebuilding databases etc etc. It seemed faulty to the point that I didn't play anything on it for a while. All I did was change the power outlet and it's never happened again. Maybe try doing something like that? and see if the problem still exists.

@Z1MZUM

I cleaned it and it was great for a few weeks, no crashes (just mini ones from Trove).. but then a couple of days ago I was playing and it just completely turned off without any warning. I thought my power had gone at first but it was another hard crash ? not happened on any other game just Trove. 

Do you mean you just switched plug sockets? Maybe I’ll give that a go. I don’t have many outlets in my room so everything is on an extension lead and it’s powering a lot from just one socket.. it could be something like that. I’ll try thanks!

10 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

@Z1MZUM

I cleaned it and it was great for a few weeks, no crashes (just mini ones from Trove).. but then a couple of days ago I was playing and it just completely turned off without any warning. I thought my power had gone at first but it was another hard crash ? not happened on any other game just Trove. 

Do you mean you just switched plug sockets? Maybe I’ll give that a go. I don’t have many outlets in my room so everything is on an extension lead and it’s powering a lot from just one socket.. it could be something like that. I’ll try thanks!

Yes I changed the power outlet, So I plugged the PS5 into a different wall socket. It's just a suggestion and maybe worth trying, My hard crashes where that bad I seriously thought the console was dead. It literally would turn on or even receive power for a few minutes. However your situation seems quite strange so I have no idea whether this will work, just that your crashes seem allot like mine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have your PS5 standing up vertical, or lying flat? A small unknown number of people have reportedly had issues with the liquid cooling in their consoles when in vertical mode.

Did you vacuum the console thoroughly when the covers were off (there are special ventilation holes especially for this, watch that video, or google).

Was the fan caked in dust? 
Remember, the console will only feel hot WHEN it is cooling properly, because it is doing its job and pushing hot air out. Just because it feels cool on the outside, does not mean the components inside are cool….

If the PS5 shuts itself down because of overheating, it should give a message on the screen, but I assume this is not happening…

Running too many things from a single power outlet is honestly never a good idea….especially expensive and sensitive equipment. Maybe try powering the console and TV only, nothing else, if that’s possible, to see if it improves at all?

Better still, if you can, take your PS5 to a friends or relatives place, power it up there and play Trove for a good couple of hours.
Did it still hard shutdown? This is to rule out in one easy step any possible issues with your power source at home. 

Honestly, try living without Trove for a while longer. Try to be sure the problem is deffo absolutely related to that game only. No game is worth wrecking your expensive beloved console for.

If all else fails…..

How old is the console?  Consider long and hard about using the warranty return / repair option before its too late. Most people won’t because of the hassle.

Consider contacting Sony support for help regardless, they are really very good.

Don’t panic, work your way slowly through all the possible causes one at a time, otherwise if you do finally solve the issue you will never know truly what caused it.

Good luck

Edit: out of curiosity I googled Trove crashes and it seems this game apparently crashes very often on PC, PS4, Xbox. Not just PS5. Although no game should totally shut down your console….

Edited by Burkiemeister
  • Like 1

Thanks for the great advice I’ll try some of those. I’ve not played trove this week and no hard crashes or small ones so it could well be the game! 

I only have two sockets in my room. I’ve changed the socket as well to see if that makes a difference. At the moment the only things that are running from there are the PS5 and the tele. 

I hoovered all the vents and used a can of air on it. It wasn’t caked but there was quite a bit of dust in there. I think I got the console close to launch so might be out of warranty now. I actually bought about 15/16 PS5’s for friends and family so I’m not certain where this one is actually from. Do they have a way of checking or can I say it’s from any of the shops I bought one from? I bought 3 for our house so I do have spares ..  but I also don’t want to ruin another one with this game. 

So unsure if it’s the power outlet I was using or the game right now. If I play the game again and it does it again then I’ll take it elsewhere and try a different power outlet entirely. I was getting close to platinum which is annoying I just want the game done now.

33 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

Thanks for the great advice I’ll try some of those. I’ve not played trove this week and no hard crashes or small ones so it could well be the game! 

I only have two sockets in my room. I’ve changed the socket as well to see if that makes a difference. At the moment the only things that are running from there are the PS5 and the tele. 

I hoovered all the vents and used a can of air on it. It wasn’t caked but there was quite a bit of dust in there. I think I got the console close to launch so might be out of warranty now. I actually bought about 15/16 PS5’s for friends and family so I’m not certain where this one is actually from. Do they have a way of checking or can I say it’s from any of the shops I bought one from? I bought 3 for our house so I do have spares ..  but I also don’t want to ruin another one with this game. 

So unsure if it’s the power outlet I was using or the game right now. If I play the game again and it does it again then I’ll take it elsewhere and try a different power outlet entirely. I was getting close to platinum which is annoying I just want the game done now.

Screenshot_20230806_005129_Chrome.jpg

It's the game. 

• Like 2

There should be a black sticker with a serial number on the back of the console, so Sony would know when/where it was from. 

You say you have spare consoles, so that’s fine.

You cleaned it real good and it seems fine when not playing this game.

It is most unlikely to be overheating. 

If it still crashes when you have the console set up in someone else’s house then it for sure is not your power source either.

PS5’s are very robust, mine is 2 years old and never crashed once. 
As others have also said, it is most likely the game…..

Edited by Burkiemeister
  • Like 1

Can hard crashes damage the console? That’s why I’m reluctant to play it on another one. I’m quite attached to the one in my room.. it’s weird that isn’t it ? 

i cleaned it pretty thoroughly I think and sprayed and sucked into any hole I could ?

but from seeing the Reddit posts it looks like it’s the game. Hopefully not too far away from platinum, just hope my console survives the trauma!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonkie18 said:

Can hard crashes damage the console? That’s why I’m reluctant to play it on another one. I’m quite attached to the one in my room.. it’s weird that isn’t it ? 

It is the game. It'll crash both. Can it damage them? debatable. Its very unlikely you end up bricking the console. If anything you get the stupid "your ps5 was not shut off correctly, please make sure blah blah blah" screen and then it would rebuild database or something. Also possible you'd have to boot in safe mode.

i cleaned it pretty thoroughly I think and sprayed and sucked into any hole I could 1f605.png

It has dust catchers, my console hardly ever gets anything in it. I still check often though ?

but from seeing the Reddit posts it looks like it’s the game. Hopefully not too far away from platinum, just hope my console survives the trauma!

People plat cyberpunk in its infancy. So I'm sure you can and your console will survive lol. 

Best of luck!