Friendslist

Go to solution Solved by CorgiBootyy,

Do you mean like a reputation system for guides? Eg - I play a game and use a guide. And when you open that same guide, it shows that I have been playing the game using this guide. And based on my opinion, you decide whether to start the game or not. Is this what you're saying? Seems a bit complicated :hmm:

• Solution

Its like word of mouth. You see that a friends been playing a certain game, so maybe he can weigh in on what he thinks of the guide or how the game is and it'll make it fairly easy to communicate about different game especially since you'll probably take a friends word over most others.

The hard part is making the friends list come to life, but other than that its pretty much making it appear on guide pages and on game pages like it used to when Sony allowed Sly to access our PSN friends.

Edited by Blazikiller

What this scrub said. A few months back Sly took it upon himself to take away an unupdating/updating friendslist from the side of peoples trophies list when they were viewing a games trophies list. Simply for the fact that it was old. 

It wouldn't update to show what friends were joining your list or who you had deleted. but it would still update what they were playing. 

So seeing as that actually worked. I feel like its common sense to bring it back to at least give you an idea as to which friends have played what and if they had played the game you were interested in. 

Dont really see how that could be seen as "complicated"

From what I heard, the reason the friend's list was taken away, was because Sony made Sly take it away. I imagine they thought it posed some kind of security risk.

So, I don't think that feature can ever be brought back.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with the running sentiment here.  It's of low value to most.  A feature that was only mildly interesting when it was around.  I, actually, didn't mind that it went away.  I get bothered all the time to help people (strangers) on games I shelved two years or more ago.  To have my profile show up the least on this site would be ok with me.

It is complicated actually, Sony actually literally sent their lawyers to tell Sly to stop immediately with certain features of the website, including extracting friends list information. He had to immediately stop extracting friendlist information. This probably had to do with certain privacy information they were implementing with Vita (other users being able to view your friends list, etc...)

This resulted in users that synced their profiles before this happened to have their friends list on the website but it wouldn't update with the resulting added or deleted friends. New users also didn't have access to friendslist features at all, after about a year (or more?) the automatic system still couldn't be available for new members and started to become outdated for existing members and was eventually taken down because it simply lacked synchronization. 

So basically, a friends list where users can "manually" add their friends is on the list of things to do, I remember Sly bringing it up a few months ago so it will probably be a feature at some point, though don't expect anything about it soon.

BlindMango's post is the exact answer why we don't have the feature anymore.  Someone laid the law down on Sly and he had to remove the feature.  So, no more "this is an easy no-brainer, just add it back in" posts, please.

EDIT: To my knowledge, that was the friendlist feature (Just a list of who your friends are on PSN)  Not sure if that was tied into the game trophy feature with "friends playing this game"  I assumed they were one in the same thing that Sly was facing heat on but maybe not.  We will wait for Sly to post.

Maybe a good alternative solution would be to track PSNP friends instead of grabbing data from PSN friends as suggested by others.

Maybe a good alternative solution would be to track PSNP friends instead of grabbing data from PSN friends as suggested by others.

The only reason I didn't care for the friends feature was that I'd end up tracking somebody that was put on my friend list for a quick boost and then I was stuck with them even though they were deleted forever ago. I could care less about their progression or what games they're playing.

I am anxious to see what Sly can do with a follow feature though.

• Like 1

EDIT: To my knowledge, that was the friendlist feature (Just a list of who your friends are on PSN)  Not sure if that was tied into the game trophy feature with "friends playing this game"  I assumed they were one in the same thing that Sly was facing heat on but maybe not.  We will wait for Sly to post.

The website continued to update your friends profiles once a week like everyone elses profile on the website, so that's why it showed them in new games and stuff because they were old friends already tied to your profile, but it couldn't update newly added/deleted friend usernames - it couldn't extract that information from your profile anymore.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1