The Final Horizon Update - Available September 28th, 2023.

Lem-77

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 5:56 AM, wolvieware said:

Also hope it has trophies but probably will still play anyway.

New trophies are unlikely; Sega's never done it for a Sonic game, including whole standalone re-releases even with extra content like Sonic Mania Plus (2018) and Sonic Origins Plus (2023).

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if they did add trophies this time. Frontiers hit quite a number of major milestones, was designed to lay the foundation for future 3D Sonic titles covering the next 10yrs, and this final update's scope is super ambitious. The very purpose and context behind the story aspect alone justifies the inclusion of trophies, let alone with 3 new fleshed-out playable characters, even more content, and other changes the video(s) just like the roadmap doesn't mention. Expenses aside, the first two major updates could have had their own individual trophy packs (tied to the new stuff: photo mode, extreme difficulty, boss rush, open zone challenges, koco challenges, etc), but this "Final Horizons" update is the most important and is still suppose to be the biggest one, so it'd be kind of weird and a missed opportunity to not do a list for it.

On 8/23/2023 at 5:56 AM, wolvieware said:

Still need to finish the main game actually so this gives me a reason to go back to it. Great game, really enjoyed this sonic entry. 

After looking at your trophies especially and seeing you only completed the first and second islands and haven't played since January (the story has to be lost on you with that wide gap of time), I highly suggest starting over. Not only for this update even but also for the prior updates that've improved the game dramatically, since the last time you played was before any of the major updates. Alongside other changes, a number of top criticisms have been addressed (e.g., stats can be upgraded in bulk now instead of only by one; slot machine won't break immersion anymore nor appear since it's toggleable now; power-boost scene won't momentarily halt gameplay/pace since it's toggleable now; toggleable rate of deceleration's addition makes it so you can have increased/full aerial momentum from jumps; etc). Update 2 especially was an apparent game changer. Update 3 aka "The Final Horizon" is more than likely (inevitably really) going to improve more areas of the game that'll impact the beginning, like Update 1 & 2 did. 

Edited by EcoShifter

Yes I actually put this one on the shelf with the intention of coming back to it once all the updates were all out. So I’m quite looking forward to going back to the game as I was enjoying it even before them. 

That said, not unusual for me to have big gaps between games. I’m a dipper most of the time never just focusing on one game at a time. who knew my trophy list could tell you so much! 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 7:56 AM, EcoShifter said:

New trophies are unlikely; Sega's never done it for a Sonic game, including whole standalone re-releases with extra content to boot like Sonic Mania Plus (2018) and Sonic Origins Plus (2023).

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if they did add trophies this time.

Sega did release DLC trophies for a Sonic game before…

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Forces.

But those are day one DLC, meaning when these main games were released, so was the DLC.

If Frontiers were to have new DLC trophies, it will be the first to have new trophies post-launch.

Edited by Starlighthed211

6 minutes ago, Starlighthed211 said:

Sega did release DLC trophies for a Sonic game before…

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Forces.

But those are day one DLC, meaning when these main games were released, so was the DLC.

If Frontiers were to have new DLC trophies, it will be the first to have new trophies post-launch.

As you said - "day one DLC", where they just made a separate list simultaneously alongside the base games'. Ware and I's point is new trophies added to titles post release (which SA and SF haven't done), and I went further by including SMP and SOP.

4 hours ago, blue_blur_98 said:

One last trailer before release, this time showing some proper gameplay footage. The update will release later today, at 5:00 PM Pacific.

Saw it on Youtube already but damn, there is A LOT going on in this trailer. So easily missable too if you don't know the game like the back of your hand. Unfortunately im currently too busy to talk a bit about some of it.

Couple days back the Director confirmed the update was finished. Additionally, the game recently won an "Excellence Award" at the "Japan Game Awards (2023)".

Edited by EcoShifter

• 1 month later...

im still playing on weekends here and there. one of the best expansions ive ever seen. sonic frontiers is i think one of the worst sonic games in existence and a game i pretended didnt exist after i cleared it, then this expansion comes out and completely turns it around. the work that went into this is quite frankly, amazing, for a FREE content update. an extremely generous amount of content to be found here. the game is actually fun now because it's somewhat challenging. the platforming is great especially with the tower climbs, the exploration, the cyberspace stage and challenges, ability to play with different characters, etc. it's even got a massive brand new soundtrack with some great tracks like arrow of time remix. i think that soon i will have spent more time now playing the expansion than i have playing the base game!

unfortunately the boss fights are still absolutely dreadful regardless. heavily scripted, full of annoying QTEs, with way too much emphasis on perfect parries - something the base game did not prepare you for at all. the master koco trial is the worst where you have to sit through ages of unskippable cutscenes and having to redo the pre-combat sections every time you fail. and i had to retry the trial a LOT because it's very difficult

actually, the main impetus for me exploring everything is because im stuck at the final boss and i have no idea how to overcome it. i dont like looking up stuff for games so im hoping this in-game hint the game promises me after clearing all the challenges on the island will help me out. it's fine either way because im having fun with it

REALLY hoping sonic team can keep up this level of quality with their next works. sonic superstars from what i've heard is  a middling game but it's from a different dev. that game is on sale right now so i may get it anyway

Edited by ifyucantbeatmeXD