How You Feel Trying to Platinum on Shovelware, Obscure, or Hardly Discovered Games?

Just_So_Meh_

Edit: I didn't know a whole other conversation of Shoverware games has been made. I am asking how it makes ya feel and seeing the discussion bring up some of our own experiences, idk how close it is to the other thread so... i apologize for that kind of thing;-;

Now, when I ask Shovelware or Bottom-Barrel, I don't mean those games that cost 1 dollar, that is my price from American dollars, and you platinum it in under 3 mins. When I say that, I mean those games with a low following and minimum player count in their list, the ones you found on a really cheap price, because they were made poorly, rushed, and so basic with their game mechanics, story, anything different or... even just repetitive. If not, it can also be known as a hidden gem if it is that favorable for its small audience, known for how it brings a special charm, love, care, or even just something to enjoy throughout your small time with it. For a few examples I got, these are some that I am willing to speak up on. And granted, just because it is the smallest indie game, low player count, or just something no one ever thought of getting or even looking up on, these may not be bad at all to some folks.

Jazzpunk:

player count-6,920

platinums-5,221

This game, I just loved to death honestly. The pure idea of its random slapstick humor is what I really do enjoy and the idea that it is a spy mission base story with a  bunch of other shenanigans. When I played it, it took me only but a couple of weeks to platinum. (It can be done much quicker but this was 5 and a half years ago and I didn't think much of looking up help for it until the last couple of trophies.) It made me feel nostalgic knowing the number of online folks on YouTube and streamers playing this game and it was a lovely trip down memory lane to get this game a go and to finish. the trophies were not hard at all to complete, besides maybe a couple of hints and questionable ways of doing so, but this is not difficult to handle.

Mr. Massagy:

player count-25,887

platinums-24,586

Idk if I would count this as bottom barrel but it fits it, with minimal effort in gameplay and how simple the mechanics are, along with the idea that it is a parody of a dating simulator. Granted, I loved how this game gave off silly characters like the mayo jar, cow, and alien like it was another nostalgia trip for my own sake of playing it. nothing too hard but clicking the right text to your chosen date and then receiving a lovely massage from the use of your own controller in the palm of your hand.

My Name is Mayo Trilogy:

game one

----------

player count-137,573

platinum-130-955

game two

-----------

player count-61,744

platinum-60,160

game three

------------

player count-9,595

platinum-9,279

so yeah, I think we all know what this game is about Tapping a jar of mayo to get its lid off, regardless of whether or not it asked for it. simple premise, simple controls, simple idea of things and goals, it all relates to tapping this jar. With how basic it is, it doesn't surprise me that folks didn't bother getting game two and game three. I did because why not? I loved the first one and the other two were a big improvement to the formula and added a whole lot more to the whole setup compared to the first one. not difficult in the slightest. will you have fun, you'll get some enjoyment out of it, with its oddball humor especially.

Bear with Me:

player count-3,437

platinums-2,383

This is another one of those point-and-click kind of games where this story is based on a missing sibling. You follow a bear and a boy to find the clues on where the sibling went missing by talking, interviewing, and just the pure thought of clicking the right pattern to get through the story. I found it really cute and charming and I loved it. Very simple, easygoing story, and to platinum it wasn't difficult. Well, except for the part of the game where you mess with wires and try to place them in the correct spots. I had to look up a YouTube video on that. I could not figure it out myself and I just gave up. besides a couple of guiding on some other ones, it was a really charming short tale to pick up and take a look at. took me only 2 days to complete it but I recommend it.

Scheming Through the Zombie Apocalypse: The Begining:

player count-1,349

platinums-998

Weird to say this is probs the only game where I fall under the 1,000 top platinum achievers. Was looking for random furry games and such to play, as my desire for it is strong, and then I stumbled across this gem. Its humor is charming if I have to speak on my own. Knowing how these two numbskulls try to make bank off of the idea of survivors, in the midst of a zombie apocalypse, sounds stupid. Then again, as you play and see the shenanigans they put the side characters in and its ridiculous humor, you grow into it and learn to enjoy its slightly mature premise. Gambling, scavenging, gangs owed money, to even a little kid trying to rob you of your items. took me two days to platinum and I await for its second episode to appear on the console. It is out on Steam but I rather wait to see if it'll show up at all on the console.

Sagebrush:

player count-2,929

platinums-2,568

This game really hits you deep with a realistic fictional setting on what it is like to follow a more, religious cult-like setting. Just the pure narrative story you follow of this game on how it explains the horrors, abuse, mind was, and even hypocritical actions campers and even leaders can cause. Following one who escaped the sight, you follow her going back in and reliving these horrific acts that are scattered across the land and the act of dealing away this act of sin to a more "cultural" mindset. There are some puzzles you may need to solve, I just googled one as I couldn't figure it out, but it is pretty straightforward besides some collecting and other little side gigs. as a word of advice though, it is really strong in the manipulative cult mindset, creepy atmosphere, and struggles of self-harm, drug abuse, depression, the unaliving of one self I believe, its a dark telling but really well structured.

this list is getting too long so some honorable mentions:

(and you can look these up on what player count and platinum you want, this is just in my list)

-Bakugan Battle Brawlers:

was a nostalgic game as a kid, decided to get on a console. was fun through the story, got really repetitive so quickly, and a snooze fest after the story stuff ended.

-Timbermanvs: a simple pixel game of chopping down trees. and pipes... and, cactus... it was .40 us cents to get. super repetitive, no story, just basically a grind simulator of clicking triggers to chop things down.

-Any games by The Voices Games (Ayleouna, Newtonian Inversion, Ascendshaft, and others):

these are just some of the ugliest games. I know not games around 1 dollar but like come on... these are hideous-looking games, barely anything, super short, super repetitive. I can see the sort of charm to these games but it is not something I would go back to fondly of, especially knowing how strangely difficult to go and finish these games. I haven't finished the ones I got as they give me a migraine, ngl. 

-Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion:

It is a cute children's game, and love the series as a whole. Though, so basic, repetitive, and just a bit slow place for my tastes honestly. I can go and finish it up honestly as soon as I am done typing this out, but like... it is so boring!!! charming to look at, but so boring.

-Rio:

A movie tie-in game that is nothing more but a bunch of party games. The list requires you to finish first in all games in story mode, do all special modes in vs and teams, get all questions right, grind this power and that item, blah blah blah. I do find this game really charming, as it is a nostalgia game for me once more. No one cared for it I believe as it is so little got it and even smaller on platinum. Just a repetitive nature to go through the same stuff just to get it done. (this game is also my most recent platinum, so I can say the last grind to get questions and items was less than impressive to go through so often)

Lemme know what your good or bad shovelware or bottom barrel game is. :3

Edited by Just_So_Meh_
editors note and title change

To be fair, idk how to title it or if what I wrote even relates to it at all. I kind of thought shovelware could have also been related to a game that was hardly known as well, knowing how little it is in the public view and how it came to being something that has been hardly played, much less completed to its full completion or platinum.

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

You've confused the term "obscure" with "trash"; easy mistake.

Ah crap, you right XD lemme change up the title a bit to be more inclusive on obscure titles too. thanks 4 the heads up on that.

2 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

It depends on the game, titles like My Name is Mayo - can be fun little timewasters :) but drivel like the "Jump" games, can burn in the deepest darkest pits of Hell where they belong 🤬!

as simple and easy to get those kinds of games and platinum them, I really don't wanna fall too deep into that kind of stuff. I at least want to get something that has a bit more of a reward in it.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Jazzpunk has no place in that list.

Jazzpunk is awesome

I totally agree, it was a wonderful game to play, and one I cherish forever. But to say that, how is it not obscure or odd? It really is one of the more odd-end kind of games you can really experience. I say that especially for those who go through it for the first time, from the odd npcs to just the main missions themselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Just_So_Meh_ said:

I totally agree, it was a wonderful game to play, and one I cherish forever. But to say that, how is it not obscure or odd? It really is one of the more odd-end kind of games you can really experience. I say that especially for those who go through it for the first time, from the odd npcs to just the main missions themselves.

As I recall, Jazzpunk was pretty well publicised at the time of release - I certainly heard about it on gaming sites and podcasts, whereas a lot of the more obscure stuff, I would argue that wouldn’t be the case.

For sure it’s niche, but I’d argue any game with more than 500 or so players on a small site like this one wouldn’t really be considered “obscure” per se.

IMO, of couse

Shovelware: I couldn't care less, and I wouldn't generally describe games like Jazzpunk with very easy platinums as shovelware.

Obscure: They're an exciting thing, my favorites are Deadly Premonition or Catherine.

Undiscovered games: If only very few people have played the game and no one even got the platinum, I would be cautious as a completionist.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

As I recall, Jazzpunk was pretty well publicised at the time of release - I certainly heard about it on gaming sites and podcasts, whereas a lot of the more obscure stuff, I would argue that wouldn’t be the case.

For sure it’s niche, but I’d argue any game with more than 500 or so players on a small site like this one wouldn’t really be considered “obscure” per se.

IMO, of couse

I don't doubt there is much more obscure, I just feel it is an iceberg-level kind of sense where it is the top and as you dive into it you see the much more odd ones as you go further.

• Like 1

I'll play some easy plat games that actually do look fun, like ratalaika games, but not really shovelware like jumping food, breakthrough or stroke the games. 

On the other hand, I do like obscure games, and plan to play many that I liked. I just need to worry about wether they're actually attainable and lack of info and guides. They usually have Ultra Rare trophies which is nice.

If y'all like obscure stuff with practically no documentation online, I challenge you to give Golem Gates a try. Maybe someone can help me with strategies on Trials/Challenges since I'm struggling lol.