Dubstep?

ille1234

I am definatelly no stranger to this genre of music, many of my friends enjoy it. Myself though, not so much. To me it just sound like a bunch of noises mashed together into a frenzy of different sounds. The music is usually decent until someone says "Drop the bass" and the madness begins :P

I probably sound like an old man complaing right now but i just don't get it. I mean, I'm a seventeen year old boy, I should like it, right?

What do you think about this?

Also, if you care to elaborate what the hell this genre is all about then feel free to do so because i genuinelly want to know.

Dubstep is hit and miss with me. I like different types of electronic music because I feel like it has the potential to be much more creative with all of the different sounds, and the same definitely applies to dubstep. The big problem for me with it, is that dubstep can lack a melody lots of times. Especially with dubstep remixes of popular songs, most of the time they're a joke. They all sound generically the same, because people will use the melody of the original song for about 10 seconds of the entire song, and then it just goes to the drop and repeated sounds. Really, it's just a platform they use so they can put "Pokémon Dubstep Remix!!!" in the title and get more views/listens.

Now to answer your last question there, can you really answer that about any genre? Country is for crying about your sad life, rap is for showing your a thug, metal is for being hardcore. Maybe dubstep is for being a hipster and showing off your new sound system? Lol.

I am definatelly no stranger to this genre of music, many of my friends enjoy it. Myself though, not so much. To me it just sound like a bunch of noises mashed together into a frenzy of different sounds. The music is usually decent until someone says "Drop the bass" and the madness begins :P

I probably sound like an old man complaing right now but i just don't get it. I mean, I'm a seventeen year old boy, I should like it, right?

What do you think about this?

Also, if you care to elaborate what the hell this genre is all about then feel free to do so because i genuinelly want to know.

I'm in the same boat, I like about 5% of dubstep songs that are released now and that's mainly because they don't sound like all the others and the artists are just good.

people will use the melody of the original song for about 10 seconds of the entire song, and then it just goes to the drop and repeated sounds.

This is the problem.

Good dubstep:

Drum and Bass will always be king :P

Dubstep is hit and miss with me. I like different types of electronic music because I feel like it has the potential to be much more creative with all of the different sounds, and the same definitely applies to dubstep. The big problem for me with it, is that dubstep can lack a melody lots of times. Especially with dubstep remixes of popular songs, most of the time they're a joke. They all sound generically the same, because people will use the melody of the original song for about 10 seconds of the entire song, and then it just goes to the drop and repeated sounds. Really, it's just a platform they use so they can put "Pokémon Dubstep Remix!!!" in the title and get more views/listens.

Now to answer your last question there, can you really answer that about any genre? Country is for crying about your sad life, rap is for showing your a thug, metal is for being hardcore. Maybe dubstep is for being a hipster and showing off your new sound system? Lol.

That pretty much answers every single one of my questions. Thanks :D

Dubstep is better when it's mellow.

Mellow dubstep you say. Hmm. Never heard of it...

rap is for showing your a thug,

Sorry to pick on this small part of your little speech, but you couldnt be more wrong. There are mainy strains of rap music, Gangsta rap, which you are actually referring to, is just one and again isnt always about being a thug.

On topic, Sly and I were only talking about this the other day, were you spying on us?!! I like a lot of the old school Dub Step and D&B, its all good, but a lot of what seems to be popular these days is trash IMO. I could probably throw something as good or better with Reason in about 5 minutes.

and ille, just because you dont like what everyone else likes, it probably makes you more interesting as an individual.

Sorry to pick on this small part of your little speech, but you couldnt be more wrong. There are mainy strains of rap music, Gangsta rap, which you are actually referring to, is just one and again isnt always about being a thug.

That was sorta the point to the rhetorical question:

Now to answer your last question there, can you really answer that about any genre?

I was listing some stereotype/assumption examples.

Since someone else posted a Burial song, I'll post the only one I have on my laptop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA

This is dubstep? I'll be honest, I'm oblivious to this genre completely. Is this considered good dubstep? If I wanted to try getting into it, who's music should I look up?

Lol I was about to say the same. Have no clue what dubstep is and what music qualifies as dubstep :P

I feel like we can't have this topic up without covering two of the major electronic artists right now: Skrillex and deadmau5. Thoughts anyone?

Honestly I can't tell any difference between them and every other dubstep artist in the world. All i know is that wherever I turn my head, I hear their names...

Honestly I can't tell any difference between them and every other dubstep artist in the world. All i know is that wherever I turn my head, I hear their names...

Well, after briefly trying listening to both... Deadmau5 seems a little more mellow. Skrillex is just obnoxious throwing in a million different sounds and effects. Though admittedly this 'Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites' song is pretty catchy.

I could see why "seasoned vets" of the genre might not like them though.

• 2 years later...