Platinum Difficulty Challenge 2024

4 hours ago, Shyjun said:

@Rebourne07 What is the official timezone of reference to start unlocking game on the 1st of January?

I was thinking of maybe giving a shot for First! badge as I was able to put up a list of 10 games this week from my backlog that would be "quick" to complete despite still aiming for the grinder badge with it. But as I am living in Tokyo area, it will be new year quite early in my area compared to others and I would prefer it to be fair.

I will not have all 10 games ready to pop on the clock right away so someone who does will likely beat me to it but I want to try anyway for the challenge!

Midnight in your own time zone. So just make sure your phone clock says 12:01am when you pop the first one. Last few years this question has been asked but it hasn’t been done on 1/1 yet. Though from past conversations it seems @VersusCA is pretty serious about it so it’ll be really interesting to see who wins if more than one person goes for it. 

4 hours ago, OurLights said:

I have posted this list here before, but I kind of want to do it on another account on which I want to focus on completion rate. Would it be OK to do so? For updates on the list and completion I would be posting on the other account (account is called GhastlySoulsc, still have to change the settings on my ps5 to be able to show trophies).

Yeah you can do the list as GhastlySoulsc if you want. Just all 10 games have to be on the same account, can’t spread games across multiple accounts. 

• Like 3

Thank you for the answers, it seems perfectly fair that way!

Well if you can pop your list in 2 hours I think I'm already out as even if I have all my games with one last trophy, I am not sure I can finish the last trophy for The Witness and Slay the Spire in such short time as they are challenging to get. Nevertheless, I will still be happy to complete a list fast even if I don't get first! And I will have the consolation of being able to make swaps in the list later in the year to optimise badges if necessary.

• Like 4

On 12/13/2023 at 1:05 AM, WatermelonElf said:

Hi Everyone!!

I'm new to trophy hunting and would love to accept this challenge! 😁 (below is my incomplete list which may change!!)

1/10 - Dodgeball Academia

2/10 - Lego The Incredibles

3/10 - Ratchet & Clank (2016)

4/10 - Stray

5/10 - God of War Ragnarok

6/10 - Knack

7/10 - Kena Bridge of Spirits

8/10 - Call of Duty: World at War

9/10 - Spelunky

10/10 - To be confirmed

I’ve updated my list in preparation for the new year!!

The only one I can’t think of at the moment is 10/10 but I’ll take a while to get to that so I’m sure there will be one there soon 😄

• Like 4

Welp....

F8hDlcOWsAAANiO?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Guess my alter-ego is in it for the long haul. As the dying flame of 2023 snuffs out and 2024's sun rises, I have made a few Heavensturm resolutions to myself, one of them being to get over myself and just try to get a platinum in some tough games. Also, I decided to take the Rebourne Roulette and... hoo boy, what did I do to deserve this torture? :(

But, I am not asking for mercy. This challenge is designed to push your limits, and even though I am in danger of having a heart attack from getting over-stressed(I am 51 years as of this writing and now taking blood pressure pills), I will give it a college try. If I fail, it's proof that I am a coward and I will never attempt this challenge again, but you can't know if you don't try, can you? ;)

So.... as we reach the midnight bell to begin 2024, here is my list of the games I will be doing for this challenge. To note: This is not being done on this account, but on my extra account that I dump all the games which had DLC trophies that I will never try to accomplish. I love the games, I could get the platinum in them, but 100%? This star will burn out and human life will go extinct before I ever attempt those special trophies. :angry:

The badges I know I will achieve during this event are Above and Beyond(as at least three games on this list have an estimate of over 100 hours), Award Winner, Brownie Points(as you will see why when you see the list), Fanboy, Fresh Start(as I just added all these games to my list and none of them have a trophy earned on them), and Rebourne Roulette, which is why I decided to do this challenge. Rebourne07 gave me the games for (1), (6) and (9) on this list.

S888f20.png
1: Grim Fandango Remastered: Rebourne07 actually suggested The Walking Dead but I really don't like zombie apocalypses. This was the other game he gave and I have played this game before on a very old account and did get the platinum in it, on the Vita. Here's to tank controls!

(Given to me for the Roulette)

S553dfa.png
2: Tales of Arise. My gym trainer completed this game and really enjoyed it, even re-buying it on sale after the DLC dropped. The last Tales game I played was Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube and I know what will be expected of me - earning titles and watching skits. 300 skits.

(Rating by this site)

S606abf.png

3: Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom: I've platinumed this game on an older account and really enjoyed the story. This is on the DLC Hell List because the first DLC requires you to do a very tough-mode rematch against a former boss fight where you can get one-shot, and then you unlock HARDER difficulties. Yeah, I will pay the lip service again but not the DLC service, although I know about the new combat styles they added and wonder if I could learn them without having to do the DLC stuff. Are they overpowered? Who knows? I have to play the game to find out.

(Rating by this site)

S7364fb.png

4: Kingdom Hearts III. I have platinumed this game several times and enjoyed it. I understand why Re: MIND has to exist but the new boss fights soured the game for me. Still, if the EZ codes let me skip doing the stupid cooking minigames for the trophy, I am all in. ;)

(Rating by this site)

S947680.png

5: Monster Hunter Rise. My gym trainer enjoyed this game as well and I did dabble in it in my last account but I didn't feel ready to tackle big beasties. Maybe now I am ready? Well, it's not too painful.

(Rating by PowerPyx)

S96af83.png
6: Final Fantasy VII Remake. This is part of the Rebourne Roulette and why I will get the Brownie Points badge, as it's a Final Fantasy game. I was not into the hype and after seeing a video of someone nearly dying to Pride and Joy, I am a bit worried. But I'll try to weather through the Hard Mode.

Se5d4ed.png

7: Terraria. Well, I plan on platinuming Minecraft on this account, so why not?

(Rating by PlatPrices)

S55ee21.png

8: Enter the Gungeon. This games looks neat and the concept of a rogue-like dungeon crawler filled with bullet hells is a neat concept, but it's really going to be a trial for me to clear five flawless runs for each class, including the two unlockable classes. :(

(Rating by PlatPrices)

S599d96.png

9: Returnal. This was the final game Rebourne07 gave to me in the Roulette survey. This was another game that my gym trainer played and loved, despite the fact that there are no checkpoints.

Sbe3bf7.png

10: The Binding of Issac. I have platinumed this on an older account and I am not going to add any DLC to this as one trophy requires you to do all the challenges, and the DLC adds many more punishing challenges. Also, the only reason I did platinum this game before was due to an exploit that lets you soft-save the game so I used that exploit to save, then reload if I died. I did enjoy the game despite its gross and violent humor as the concept of getting stronger by pickups was fun.

(Rating by PlatPrices)

So, as the fireworks fade into 2024, I hope to see you there and suffer alongside you all for the upcoming year. I am not going to go through these games all at once, I am going to need the entire year to get through these nightmares. See you in the new year, everyone! ;)

EDIT: I forgot to put the places where I got the ratings from! Eep! :P Anyways, the ones given to me by Rebourne07 for the roulette badge, I assume come from PSNProfiles's site, right?)

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 12/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, Rebourne07 said:

@VersusCA Holy crap, people talk about getting the First badge every year, but no one's ever actually gone for it on January 1st! I'm impressed! And 22 badges!!!

On 12/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, Rebourne07 said:

216256.thumb.jpg.045e507cfefb8b27ff69fe9 Shyjun 

@Shyjun I can't believe TWO people went for it on January 1st!! Shyjun you did very well but I believe the First badge will go to Versus since his was faster after midnight, even though you posted first but that's just a timezone difference. If there's any issue with that just PM me and we can look further into it. 

Congratulations to both of you! Yall must have been crazy busy planning and preparing this December! Already two Platinum achievers on the leaderboards and in my timezone it's not even midnight yet haha! 

Edited by Rebourne07
  • Like 3

@Rebourne07 That's perfectly fair for the First! badge. That is what we agreed on beforehand. Also you can remove my gotta catch em all badge for now as I don't have enough badges without first. I will update in the next few days when I have completed a game (at a more leisure pace) that will let me get it back.

@VersusCA Congrats on getting it done this quick! In fact I think you can put Rugby Challenge 4 in your list already as you can add the Guide Writer badge retroactively once the guide is published if I am not mistaken, but I will let Rebourne07 confirm this.

Edited by Shyjun
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shyjun said:

@VersusCA Congrats on getting it done this quick! In fact I think you can put Rugby Challenge 4 in your list already as you can add the Guide Writer badge retroactively once the guide is published if I am not mistaken, but I will let Rebourne07 confirm this.

Thank you for the kind words :)

I think you can add Guide Writer retroactively, but the problem in this case is actually just being able to use it without the guide being published. I spent a bit of time looking for any difficulty rating, anywhere, and didn't have any luck. There doesn't seem to be any trophy/achievement guides, and even aggregator sites like Metagame and platprices have a "?" for the difficulty. So for now I couldn't give it a rating to put on the list because there isn't one publicly available to reference.

I sent it for review over two weeks ago and thought that would be enough time, but there has been a lot of guides getting published so I assume the backlog is quite large + the end of year awards. My fault for not getting it in sooner.

It's not a big deal though, Chicken Police works well for another list and I enjoyed it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VersusCA said:

Thank you for the kind words :)

I think you can add Guide Writer retroactively, but the problem in this case is actually just being able to use it without the guide being published. I spent a bit of time looking for any difficulty rating, anywhere, and didn't have any luck. There doesn't seem to be any trophy/achievement guides, and even aggregator sites like Metagame and platprices have a "?" for the difficulty. So for now I couldn't give it a rating to put on the list because there isn't one publicly available to reference.

I sent it for review over two weeks ago and thought that would be enough time, but there has been a lot of guides getting published so I assume the backlog is quite large + the end of year awards. My fault for not getting it in sooner.

It's not a big deal though, Chicken Police works well for another list and I enjoyed it.

Ah yes, you are right. I wondered why I didn't think on telling you that the first time you mentioned replacing it in your list but that was for this reason and I forgot about it in the meantime.

• Like 2

Actually don't have the most time at the moment, so this will probably take me the whole year if I even complete it. That being said, here is my very early and probably not confirmed list of games.

1/10 - Donut County (psnp)

2/10 - Bugsnax (psnp)

3/10 - Stray (psnp)

4/10 - Ghostwire: Tokyo (playstationtrophies.org)

5/10 - The Callisto Protocol (psnp)

6/10 - Jurassic World Evolution 2 (psnp)

7/10 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (psnp)

8/10 - Bloodborne (psnp)

9/10 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (platget)

10/10 - Trackmania (platprices)

In the past I've been more actively an Achievement hunter on Xbox, rather than a Trophy hunter on PS, so it's been ingrained in my brain that the list isn't complete until it's a true 100%. So in that regard, I'm adding the additional challenge to myself that any game that has optional DLC trophies, I'll have to get them before I get my Platinum. 

Edited by Amlof1
posted twice for some reason.
  • Like 4

@Rebourne07 Here are some games to add to the ressource list (compiled them while redoing my lists).

1/10:

Spoiler

7/10:

8/10:

9/10:

Spoiler

Crash Team racing Nitro-Fueled (poll most voted)

Cuphead

Furi

Rogue Legacy (poll most voted)

10/10:

Spoiler

Metal Slug Anthology (poll most voted)

The Witness (poll most voted)

• Like 2

Happy New Year's everyone! I have finally gotten Returnal to download, it took an hour to get onto my PS5. Now I am ready to go... at my own pace. I have other things I have to do first, like join other events. But I do plan on switching to the second account to get started. Considering how some of these games terrify me, I'm going to dip my toe in when I feel ready, not blaze through the gates like a horse with flaming jaws. ;)

7 hours ago, VersusCA said:

Here's a bit of an explanation on how I did it: I have four consoles, so I basically pre-loaded a game onto each one prior to midnight, then popped as quickly as possible. Of course, this meant one PS3 and one PS4 had to be set to offline mode. This was essential for Rugby World Cup 2011 especially, otherwise it would've been about 50 minutes just for the last trophy. I was originally going to do another Rugby game as my 3/10 but really did not like my options for prepping; the available trophies for both games were very RNG based and when I tested earlier I couldn't actually get them to pop in a reasonable amount of time.

Oh, so you were doing what I am doing for my own personal challenge - getting all but one of the trophies on the games and then popping them all in one day. That's genius. ^_^

Edited by ProfSeajay7