A Dozen Games Announced for PS4

UndreyVITA

A damn fun game with a goofy concept is what it is. It may look terrible but it is actually a lot of fun. 

Parker

It may be fun, I haven't played it so I don't know. It's just that style of game that really annoys me. I think it just promotes laziness with indie devs. Why spend years perfecting your animations when you've could've thrown together kindergarten level art and sold twice as much? Soon you'll get a bunch of new indie devs that see this as a way to make a quick buck, and we get tons of these games.

It's already happening on mobile games, with the thousand Flappy Bird and Minecraft ripoffs. Just a matter of time before they come to consoles.

• Like 1

While I may not necessarily like the flood of indie games on the PS4, I'm aware that it's easy to port over from PC, so of course we'd get this.  I don't see the problem with getting indie games, really.  Even if I'd rather have AAA games, it's not like indie games are going to replace them.  It'd be crazy to believe that.  I see indie games as something to hold us over for the hard hitters, and a way to support smaller devs.  I didn't think I'd like Dragon Fantasy, but I did.  How would I know what I was missing out on if I didn't try it?

Also, whenever I see "indy games", I think of Indiana Jones and I get my hopes up for another of those games.  Damn you Mayus.

Edited by Lilith
  • Like 3

Sir, I too am an advocate for quality over quantity, but quality is not something that is commonplace - otherwise it'd just be the norm. I guess in my jaded mind it is the profit made from the "quantity" that ends up trickling finance down to the "quality". One cannot survive without the other, and sometimes blatant money grabs are a necessary evil and give birth to something brilliant. Companies need to make money, and until they do they won't take any risks on a game that's too outlandish or off the beaten track. The gaming industry is just that: a business industry.

You get this saturation of shit everywhere, though: film, T.V., msic, etc. It only makes you savour the good and appreciate it all the more whenever you stumble across it. Also, someone else's junk might be someone else's gold. As I said in my original post, I'm just glad that at least there's a wealth of choices in the market these days, and that smaller games are being given a platform and funding.

Absolutely and I'm not here to piss on the Indie picnic, there's room in the game for everyone. The only aspect of Indie development that I find bothersome, which goes back to my original post, is the lack of originality in a niche that is all about originality.

In film, TV, music etc, Indies strive to do something unique and creative...something we haven't seen before. But how many Minecraft, wilderness survival and retro 2d-platformer clones do we need before the whole concept becomes old, stale and money-driven? The current trend in Indie gaming is to put a twist on a tried and tested formula. Rehashing the era of 8 and 16-bit games, which were little to no fun to begin with, isn't my idea of originality or creativity and certainly not worthy of my time or money today.

As ever, this is my opinion alone - not a statement of 'fact' as the twit a few posts above quickly edited out before I had a chance to respond - and I don't care if everyone or no-one agrees with me. But there's more than enough evidence to support my opinion; a quick look at the OP or the front page of Steam is a telling story that either Indie gaming is in decline as a victim of its own success, or there's a cash-grab to be had by building an entire game around a cheap gimmick or outright cloning or ripping off someone else's ideas. Isn't that what we condemned the Wii, Move and Kinect for doing?

I definitely agree. You can tell by the responses that to some people graphics are all that matter in a game. I really wonder if they'd get distracted by shiny objects and jingling keys.

Graphics don't matter, but art style does. It's that most of them look the same and play the same or have been done before that bothers me. Again...isn't that why we condemn the AAA industry for their "me too!" approach? Indies are just pulling the same stunt on smaller budgets with the current sprite-based graphics, two button controls and side-scrolling platformer trend. Indie gaming should be a breeding ground for new and innovative ways to play games, but all I'm seeing in the OP (and Indie releases in general) is same shit, different bucket. There are diamonds in the rough like Super Meat Boy (one could argue it sparked the 2d side-scroller revival), Thomas Was Alone, Sound Shapes, Fez, Limbo and Guacamelee, but there's also a much deeper pool of Indie shovelware and oftentimes, less is more.

I, for one, can't wait for it to end and for Indies to get back to what they're good at - making 'new' games. Flower, fl0w, Journey, Brothers, The Unfinished Swan, rain and Child of Light are great examples of Indie games done right, not only in their presentation, but in their gameplay mechanics...there's nothing "me too" about any of them and none of them are built for mainstream appeal. Apotheon is the only game in the OP that comes close to achieving that status, thanks largely to its unique art style. There's that word again - unique - that's the essence of Indie development and it's seriously lacking these days with all of the "me too" retro, 2d side-scrolling, run-jump-hit games piling up on the PSN, XBL and Steam that have been done a million times before.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 3

It's awesome to see some posts that actually has some meaning of the importance of new games.

Sometimes I wonder if all of those people think that every single companie needs to "adapt" themselves for a "next gen" ( not necessarily "graphics" attached to it.

In the last few years I was surprised by so many indie games that turned out be so much better than so many so called big games, and I'm also talking about games that I like. Like Resident Evil 6

So we as gamers and trophy lovers let us support new companies. I'm pretty sure we will only achieve new experiences in gaming.

Edited by Marcelo

I think the major complaint is that "people didn't buy a PS4 for a bunch of indie games." Here's why your argument is a load of caca....Ready? OK!

• Since when in the hell have people ever complained about new games? "OMG! Not another Indie!" Here's my rebuttal; if you don't like it don't buy it! Yeah, the graphics are up to par with today's standards but in a way, I think most of the complaints are out of frustration that they aren't announcing AAA Titles. Hold your tits, E3 is just around the corner.
  • Every company starts off small. That's why they're called "indie games" They are made buy really small companies that don't have the budget to make AAA titles like uncharted or assassin's creed or call of duty. Don't get mad at Sony for allowing small companies make a living. Because, Gawds, that's just awful!!!
  • Lastly, These games are just small little games to hold us over until Sony can dish out the AAA titles. They've also been making remasters to hold us over. If your not happy with it, why did you buy a so early in the 1st place? You knew what games were coming out; you knew it may be a year or two for companies to start dishing out AAA titles. It's no different from the PS3... Patience is key here. Stop taking your frustrations out on releasing small games. Would it change anything if the games were TAKEN OFF the PS4? I didn't think so! :P
I apologize if I've made anyone angry, but this is how I feel. they aren't hurting anyone, and some people do enjoy them, so why not have them? Just because you don't like them doesn't mean we should take them away for everyone. Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

I apologize if I've made anyone angry, but this is how I feel. they aren't hurting anyone, and some people do enjoy them, so why not have them? Just because you don't like them doesn't mean we should take them away for everyone.

They're not hurting anyone, but they're not helping either. We're all aware they're filler while we wait for the bigger, better games to release and it's great to see Sony supporting the Indies, but not one of these games passes for next-gen on a next-gen console. What's worse is most of them could pass for games on 25 year old consoles. That's the complaint, not the fact that these are Indie games.

Give us something new, something deserving of the PS4 name, not rehashes of generations past. For example, Resogun works as Indie, retro and PS4-worthy. As I said, this is 2014, not 1984, so set the quality bar high. Just because a game is Indie doesn't mean we should let them get away with decades-old graphics and gameplay, then charge us up the arse for the privilege.

Starwhal and Nidhogg have their appeal, but there's nothing about either game that says "I am PS4. Buy me." What they say is "I am PS4. You have nothing else to play. So buy me." There's a world of difference between the two statements.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

They're not hurting anyone, but they're not helping either. We're all aware they're filler while we wait for the bigger, better games to release and it's great to see Sony supporting the Indies, but not one of these games passes for next-gen on a next-gen console. What's worse is most of them could pass for games on 25 year old consoles. That's the complaint, not the fact that these are Indie games.

Give us something new, something deserving of the PS4 name, not rehashes of generations past. For example, Resogun works as Indie, retro and PS4-worthy. As I said, this is 2014, not 1984, so set the quality bar high. Just because a game is Indie doesn't mean we should let them get away with decades-old graphics and gameplay, then charge us up the arse for the privilege. Starwhal and Nidhogg have their appeal, but there's nothing about either game that says "I am PS4. Buy me."

They are just there for people who like the old classic styled games. Like I said, complain that there are not enough ps4 graphic quality games. Not that there are too many low graphic quality games.

Your absolutely right though, these games don't appeal to most gamers, me included and are by no means system sellers. But even though they aren't our cup of tea, someone else WILL enjoy them.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Yep, these indie games are fantastic; keep them coming!

Some of the most fun I've had over the past few years has been in Indie games (Resogun, Guacamelee, Dust: An Elysian Tale on 360, Outlast, Mercenary Kings), so I personally think they're great.

Especially after playing a few AAA games, I just kind of crave a smaller, more digestible experience with a beautiful art style, story, interesting characters or even just fresh and new ideas. Also, it's not like these Indies are 'pushing back' the development of AAA games or anything; if nothing else, they're good to keep you going while waiting for the next big release.

Thanks Sony  :yay:

Anyone else had enough of the retro-inspired, side-scrolling, 2d-platformer genre?

FFS...this is the PS4, not the C64. Ditch that shit and give us some real games!

No. In fact, I'd go as far as to say there aren't enough.

I'm not a fan of Indie games, as half the time they are really short (although to be fair, games like Tomb Raider are really short too), but they are practically the only source for 2D-platformers these days. And there is a big gap for 3D platformers unless you count games with climbing like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, inFAMOUS, AC etc.

Let's see what actual platformers there are (excluding PS2 ports and indies):

Rayman

LittleBigPlanet

Tearaway

Puppeteer

Sly

Ratchet & Clank

PoP

Off the top of my head... Not many, are there? And any game is a real game... Just because CoD or BF have guns and explosions, doesn't make it any more "real" than 2D retro side-scrollers. :facepalm:

On topic: I had a quick glance over and, from what I can see, Spelunky is the only one that interests me and it seems slightly over-priced and PS+ worthy to me on PS3, so I'll wait it out on that one.

Edited by madbuk

Just because CoD or BF have guns and explosions, doesn't make it any more "real" then than 2D retro side-scrollers. :facepalm:

If you're going to imply other people are stupid, be sure not to appear stupid yourself.

If you'd bothered to read the full thread, you'll see the justification of my viewpoint. I'll simply direct you to these posts as my rebuttal and leave it at that - https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/15400-a-dozen-games-announced-for-ps4/page-3#entry314862 and https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/15400-a-dozen-games-announced-for-ps4/page-3#entry314913

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Off the top of my head... Not many, are there? And any game is a real game... Just because CoD or BF have guns and explosions, doesn't make it any more "real" then 2D retro side-scrollers. :facepalm:

I've seen this point argued a few times in this thread, and it's a flawed argument.  The idea that if you have an aversion to the current trend of Indie games (2D platformer, 8-bit sprites, 80's retro, etc.) infers that you are clamoring for more Call of Duty. There's a lot of room in between the two and I'd argue that the game lists of users on this site will reflect that. I'm all for more games and variety, but if you can't see that Indie creativity is largely stifled, you aren't paying attention. 

• Like 1

If you're going to imply other people are stupid, be sure not to appear stupid yourself.

If you'd bothered to read the full thread, you'll see the justification of my viewpoint. I'll simply direct you to these posts as my rebuttal and leave it at that - https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/15400-a-dozen-games-announced-for-ps4/page-3#entry314862 and https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/15400-a-dozen-games-announced-for-ps4/page-3#entry314913

I had originally put "than" but had a split-second thought that it should actually be "then" and changed it. Thanks for the correction.

I've seen this point argued a few times in this thread, and it's a flawed argument.  The idea that if you have an aversion to the current trend of Indie games (2D platformer, 8-bit sprites, 80's retro, etc.) infers that you are clamoring for more Call of Duty. There's a lot of room in between the two and I'd argue that the game lists of users on this site will reflect that. I'm all for more games and variety, but if you can't see that Indie creativity is largely stifled, you aren't paying attention. 

Well, Indie games don't have that big of a budget, so the creativity of certain Indie games is good, but there is a load of Indie games that are pretty terrible, but you can say that about mainstream and/or AAA games... Looking at you, Sonic 06 (and yes, I know it was rushed out, but I was just using this as an example off the top of my head)

Edited by madbuk

Leave it to a topic about indie games to bring out the people who apparently think what they like is what everyone else likes and how dare anyone make a game they don't like. Grow up people.

At first glance none of these games look like anything I'd be interested in but I at least know that people have different tastes and not every game is going to please everyone and I'm perfectly fine with that. I hope those who do end up playing these games enjoy them.

Exactly right. Plenty of news about future titles does not inspire me but there's plenty of stuff that does so never mind. 

Malfuras.png