A Dozen Games Announced for PS4

UndreyVITA

I don't know about you, but I grew up in the 80s. I've been there, done that...I don't want nor need any more retro platformers, which the Indie scene seems to have a raging boner for these days. This is 2014, not 1984 and these games are not a reflection of the standards we should be applying to 'new' games for the PS4, ergo the 'real games' statement.

That said, I do like the look of Apotheon. Yes, it's a 2d side-scroller (gah...), but at least the art style is unique (ancient Egyptian / Mesopotamian / Persian / Greek paintings come to life), the gameplay is original and it properly reflects the gaming age we live in.

I think like two or three of these are platformers.

I think like two or three of these are platformers.

You're arguing semantics. 7 or 8 are 2d side-scrollers, most of which have platforming elements and most are retro-inspired. Another is a derivative retro-inspired bullet hell 2d-scroller, while yet another is an Elite clone with a shitty new paint job.

90% (a blatant exaggeration to get my point across) of new games on Steam look just like this these days. Is moving backwards by 3 decades really the best way to move the industry forward?

Edited by ant1th3s1s

You're arguing semantics. 7 or 8 are 2d side-scrollers, most of which have platforming elements and most are retro-inspired.

90% (a blatant exaggeration to get my point across) of new games on Steam look just like this these days. Is moving backwards by 3 decades really the best way to move the industry forward?

Honestly, yes, this is these guys' introduction to video game development, you can't expect them to make some visually amazing for their first game, if these games do not exist then how would they learn the basics and get the funding for their next games? If their next games have the same art style and gameplay, then bash away, but not right now. My main example is Mike Bithell, his first game was Thomas was Alone, a 2D platformer about quadrilaterals, his next game is Volume, a 3D stealth game with user generated content, this is because he has earned the money to fund this project.

I don't know about you, but I grew up in the 80s. I've been there, done that...I don't want nor need any more retro platformers, which the Indie scene seems to have a raging boner for these days. This is 2014, not 1984 and these games are not a reflection of the standards we should be applying to 'new' games for the PS4, ergo the 'real games' statement.

That said, I do like the look of Apotheon. Yes, it's a 2d side-scroller (gah...), but at least the art style is unique (ancient Egyptian / Mesopotamian / Persian / Greek paintings come to life), the gameplay is original and it properly reflects the gaming age we live in. 8-bit sprites have been done to death.

13d.jpg

My opinion on these games and the larger matter is somewhat invalid here, to be honest: I don't own a PS4, nor do I particularly want to get one at the moment. What I can safely say is that all of the games listed in the OP are at least trying something new within the confines of a retro style - that's got to be worth something, right?

Yeah, these games won't appeal to everyone - and most certainly not the majority of gamers - but it's not as if the majority of PS4 gamers won't get their pickles tickled with bigger releases that aren't crafted in an Indie cave, i.e. your run-of-the-mill Call of Duty/Grand Theft Auto blockbusters.

I'm just happy that funding is being supplied to smaller studios, and that they're being trusted to be a tad more creative with their games. The way I see it, if trends continue like this, whenever I eventually nab a PS4 I will have an expansive range of games to chose from - games that stretch across many genres and styles. Sure, some of them may be shite, but at least the choices are there. I'm sick of developers playing it safe, anyway. 

• Like 2

Anyone else had enough of the retro-inspired, side-scrolling, 2d-platformer genre?

FFS...this is the PS4, not the C64. Ditch that shit and give us some real games!

Yes. I don't mind indies but when most of them are retro side scrollers... i couldn't care less.

Bring us something amazing like Journey :P

Honestly, yes, this is these guys' introduction to video game development, you can't expect them to make some visually amazing for their first game, if these games do not exist then how would they learn the basics and get the funding for their next games? If their next games have the same art style and gameplay, then bash away, but not right now. My main example is Mike Bithell, his first game was Thomas was Alone, a 2D platformer about quadrilaterals, his next game is Volume, a 3D stealth game with user generated content, this is because he has earned the money to fund this project.

Regardless, the topic is "A dozen games announced for the PS4". "PS4" is the key word, so we should see something "visually amazing".

I understand and appreciate the Indie scene for what it is, but I see one or two new things. The rest have been regurgitated from the mid-80s or ported from other platforms like Steam, XBL and iOS. Is that really what you want to be playing on next-gen hardware?

I think Sony needs to stop with this indie shoving, while it's nice to see single devs work being praised no one buys a £350/$399 console to play indies.

Bingo. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm sick of developers playing it safe, anyway.

Here's the thing...that's exactly what the Indie scene is doing with the current 2d, side-scrolling, retro movement. Sure, it's cheap to develop and opens the doors to bigger projects. But more importantly, it's easier to make a profit, so in that regards, these games look more to me like playing it safe and milking the cash cow than genuine attempts at creating something new.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I think Sony needs to stop with this indie shoving, while it's nice to see single devs work being praised no one buys a £350/$399 console to play indies.

Out of curiosity, why? Sure, there aren't many people who will buy a $400 console just because of Indie games but I'm sure a lot of people will buy a few while they're waiting for more triple A games to release. Also, it isn't like Indie games are preventing other games from being released so I really don't see any downside to them. If you don't want to play them, just ignore them but if you're interested in Indie games the PS4 has quite a decent selection. It is a win-win, in my opinion. 

Parker

Regardless, the topic is "A dozen games announced for the PS4". "PS4" is the key word, so we should see something "visually amazing".

I understand and appreciate the Indie scene for what it is, but I see one or two new things. The rest have been regurgitated from the mid-80s or ported from other platforms like Steam, XBL and iOS. Is that really what you want to be playing on next-gen hardware?

Yes, I've been waiting for Nidhogg and Starwhal to come to the PS4 for a long time now. And not every single game has to be mind blowing, not every game is made to be a system seller. And what if I told you, the increase in indies doesn't mean that AAA games will decrease? So there's absolutely no point in complaining about indies. Not everyone likes gaming on PCs or mobile, not everyone has another console, there's probably a young kid with only PS4 as his console/

Yes, I've been waiting for Nidhogg and Starwhal to come to the PS4 for a long time now. And not every single game has to be mind blowing, not every game is made to be a system seller. And what if I told you, the increase in indies doesn't mean that AAA games will decrease? So there's absolutely no point in complaining about indies. Not everyone likes gaming on PCs or mobile, not everyone has another console, there's probably a young kid with only PS4 as his console/

Nidhogg and Starwhal get my vote for the shittiest games on that list. Both could pass for C64 games, an era I'm glad to have left behind me long, long ago.

I'd prefer a smaller list of AAA games on offer on the PS4 than the proliferation of Indie shovelware...just look at what it's done to Steam. Sure, it's great we have more choice, but it does come at the expense of the AAA games when talent migrates to smaller, cheaper and more personally profitable projects. Not to mention, we all have finite resources to spend and by spending money on cheaper, disposable Indie mini-games, there's less money on offer for the big-budget titles and I'd personally prefer to support the pointy end of the industry.

And why can't I complain about it? I'm entitled to voice an opposing opinion...I don't expect anyone to agree with me, let alone everyone. This is a fucking forum, which by definition is a medium to exchange ideas or viewpoints, not a place for sheeple to meekly nod their heads and agree with everything everyone has to say.

I hate retro 2d-platformers and I'm sick and tired of the current "Indie trend", which is itself an oxymoron. You like them. We're both entitled to voice our opinions. End of story.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I'm just gonna stop right now because this is leading nowhere, you just dislike indie games for some reason and I know I can't change that. I don't care to be honest, I do know that there are many people including me who will love these games.

Out of curiosity, why? Sure, there aren't many people who will buy a $400 console just because of Indie games but I'm sure a lot of people will buy a few while they're waiting for more triple A games to release. Also, it isn't like Indie games are preventing other games from being released so I really don't see any downside to them. If you don't want to play them, just ignore them but if you're interested in Indie games the PS4 has quite a decent selection. It is a win-win, in my opinion. 

Parker

1. The majority outrank the minority and the majority ain't here for indie flooding.

2. Nintendo was the same with the wii and look at the amount of shovelware is on that console.

1. The majority outrank the minority and the majority ain't here for indie flooding.

2. Nintendo was the same with the wii and look at the amount of shovelware is on that console.

But how does "Indie flooding" prevent a gamer who doesn't enjoy Indie games from purchasing triple A games? It doesn't, it just gives people more options for games on the PS4. Indie games and shovelware are completely different. 

This is shovelware..

mdqMEpNJtrQkLPYEtva0jTQ.jpg

When there is a bunch of shit like that on our Sony consoles, then we can start worrying.  :lol:

Parker

• Like 1

Here's the thing...that's exactly what the Indie scene is doing with the current 2d, side-scrolling, retro movement. Sure, it's cheap to develop and opens the doors to bigger projects. But more importantly, it's easier to make a profit, so in that regards, these games look more to me like playing it safe and milking the cash cow than genuine attempts at creating something new.

I guess I was taking it from the point of view that now producers are willing to take the risk on Indie developers nowadays, considering they've proven their economic worth to the industry over the past couple of years. The more Indie games that do well, the more money and opportunities that'll come into play for newcomers: not every single prospective game developer will be crafting yet another 2D side-scroller. 

I honestly don't mind stomaching five generic side-scrollers on the market if a fresh, innovative, creative, upstart developer gets the funding for their pet project based on the success of those five generic games. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this new wave of Indie games is creating opportunities and platforms for up-and-coming developers that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

The sad fact is this: If anything is financially lucrative in this world  - ANYTHING - then there'll be a wave of imitators trying to capture some success of their own, and before you know it the respective market is flooded with similar products. That is until the hot new thing is released - then the cycle invariably repeats. We're smack bang in the middle of the Indie side-scroller wave, and that wave'll break against the coast soon.  

When it's all said and done, I'm a vehement supporter of the viewpoint, "If you don't like it, then don't play it." This wave has made creating games far more accessible than it's been in years, and Sony are granting a platform for people to create different types of games. I just don't see it as a bad thing. 

I'm just gonna stop right now because this is leading nowhere, you just dislike indie games for some reason and I know I can't change that. I don't care to be honest, I do know that there are many people including me who will love these games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a crack at you. I'm having a crack at calling these 'new' games for the PS4 when most are ports of older games and/or shovelware.

I understand the need to plug the gap in the PS4 catalogue, but Starwhal on PS4? Seriously? That's a PS4 title worthy of promoting?

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a crack at you. I'm having a crack at calling these 'new' games for the PS4 when most are ports of older game and/or shovelware.

I understand the need to plug the gap in the PS4 catalogue, but Starwhal on PS4? Seriously? That's a PS4 title worthy of promoting?

Yes, and none of these games are even close to shovelware. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're shovelware. And just because a system can do amazing things doesn't mean all five hundred games have to do the amazing things.

Actually, I think without indies, gaming as an industry would slowly die out.

When it's all said and done, I'm a vehement supporter of the viewpoint, "If you don't like it, then don't play it." This wave has made creating games far more accessible than it's been in years, and Sony are granting a platform for people to create different types of games. I just don't see it as a bad thing.

Agreed. However, I'm also an advocate for quality over quantity and we're seeing more than our fair share of Indie shovelware polluting the industry. That's not to say the same thing doesn't happen in the budget and AAA brackets, but it's the volume of shit at the bottom end of town I find overwhelming.

Yes, and none of these games are even close to shovelware. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're shovelware. And just because a system can do amazing things doesn't mean all five hundred games have to do the amazing things.

Actually, I think without indies, gaming as an industry would slowly die out.

That's not shovelware? We're clearly working with different definitions of the word.

There's a place for independents in any media, but when the spotlight is shifted firmly towards it, you want to make sure your product is better than the competition. Is Starwhal more worthy of my time and money than inFamous Second Son? Not by a long shot. It's a game made for shits and giggles where you poke each other with horns on floating whales. Sure, it's as fun as any other game for the 5 minutes it holds your interest...before being tossed away. That, my friend, is the perfect example of shovelware.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

Perfect post! Just like I said before. In my opinion all of those indie games ( at least the ones I already played) looks and feels awesome on Vita. And people who like those games on Ps4( can play then if they wish to do so)

There's no need for bashing games

And it happens to me actually, I Don like at all call of duty or battlefield l, but I will never say any of those games are bad, because I know a lot of people loves then and also because I know they are not "bad" games, is just not for me.

I definitely agree. You can tell by the responses that to some people graphics are all that matter in a game. I really wonder if they'd get distracted by shiny objects and jingling keys.

And as Parker said, the amount of games from smaller developers in no way means that fewer big budget games are getting made so there's really no point in complaining and acting like it's actually that way, which again some people are doing.

The only true measurement a gamer should be be asking is will it be fun, not does it have great graphics. If graphics are all that matters to someone then go play on a PC.

I think a good indication that this is turning into a weird console generation already is I've seen more people look forward to and praise Child of Light on Xbox sites than I have on PlayStation sites and PlayStation is typically where you go for RPGs since PS1 and quirky and/or artistic type games since PS3.

Edited by BooneJusticius
  • Like 1

I'm all for indie games, but what the hell is Nidhogg? It looks like some crap you'd find on the Oyua. Are the developers even trying, or are they hoping enough people will say, "That looks terrible, I just need to buy it"? That annoys me, I've seen better games in the LBP2 community, and I don't have to pay for those.

Most of the other ones look good though.

Agreed. However, I'm also an advocate for quality over quantity and we're seeing more than our fair share of Indie shovelware polluting the industry. That's not to say the same thing doesn't happen in the budget and AAA brackets, but it's the volume of shit at the bottom end of town I find overwhelming.

Sir, I too am an advocate for quality over quantity, but quality is not something that is commonplace - otherwise it'd just be the norm. I guess in my jaded mind it is the profit made from the "quantity" that ends up trickling finance down to the "quality". One cannot survive without the other, and sometimes blatant money grabs are a necessary evil and give birth to something brilliant. Companies need to make money, and until they do they won't take any risks on a game that's too outlandish or off the beaten track. The gaming industry is just that: a business industry.

You get this saturation of shit everywhere, though: film, T.V., msic, etc. It only makes you savour the good and appreciate it all the more whenever you stumble across it. Also, someone else's junk might be someone else's gold. As I said in my original post, I'm just glad that at least there's a wealth of choices in the market these days, and that smaller games are being given a platform and funding. 

• Like 2

I'm all for indie games, but what the hell is Nidhogg? It looks like some crap you'd find on the Oyua. Are the developers even trying, or are they hoping enough people will say, "That looks terrible, I just need to buy it"? That annoys me, I've seen better games in the LBP2 community, and I don't have to pay for those.

Most of the other ones look good though.

A damn fun game with a goofy concept is what it is. It may look terrible but it is actually a lot of fun. 

Parker

• Like 1