should i trade my xbox1 for a ps4?

SleeppingForest

Probably not the smartest question to ask on a Playstation Forum/Site... I reckon you'll get a few biased answers ;)

Sir, you underestimate the awesome members of PSNP. We may prefer PlayStation but we (well, most of us) aren't fanboys and we'll help out our fellow members any way we can.  B)

Parker

• Like 1

^ And that's why even if Xbox was my main system of choice I'd still visit this gaming site more than any other.

I definitely recommend trying out a PS4 at a friend's house or a game store if you can as Beyondthegrave07 suggested. If you can't stand using it, namely the controller, then that would probably settle any indecisiveness you may have.

• Like 1

Sir, you underestimate the awesome members of PSNP. We may prefer PlayStation but we (well, most of us) aren't fanboys and we'll help out our fellow members any way we can.  B)

Parker

Yeah, the community here is fantastic :D I have seen a few fan-boys every now and then, but I agree; MUCH more impartial than an IGN or a Gamespot, haha. It's been a pleasure being part of such a fantastic group of people  :lol:

• Like 1

The smart choice would be to own both, though I understand that's not an option for everyone. Therefore, objectively speaking, PS4 is the wiser choice for cross-platform games, which let's face it, are the majority of the games we play. Simply put, the PS4 has much more grunt under the hood. 

Developers are making compromises for the XB1 that they don't need to make on the PS4. 1080p is the standard for cross-platform games on the PS4. On XB1, it's 720p to 900p to get games to run at an acceptable framerate of 30FPS. For example, Titanfall runs at a weird 792p resolution but the same game would run at 1080 on a PS4, potentially at 60FPS. 

One could argue that resolution and framerates will improve as developers grow accustomed to the XB1 hardware infrastructure. However, those same developers will unlock similar performance gains through optimisation on the PS4, as we've seen this past generation on the PS3. So the argument about improved performance over time is largely moot - what won't change is the hardware and the PS4 is indisputably more powerful and more developer friendly.

That said, the XB1 has the ability to offload GPU cycles to "the cloud", so there might be performance benefits to be had. However, most of that promise seems to be smoke and mirrors and we won't really know if it works for a couple of years. The simple fact that we might need to be online 100% of the time just to get a game to run seems problematic to me. That's been MS's strategy since the #dealwithit debacle, so I wouldn't be surprised if that agenda is still on the table.

I own both the PS4 and XB1. My PS4 will see a tonne of use over the coming years as developers migrate from the last generation to the next, whereas like the 360 before it, my XB1 will only be used for the dozen or two exclusives that will be worth buying during its lifespan.

I agree re: achievement systems too. Trophies are much more fulfilling than Xbox Achievements. On that basis alone, I'll stick with PlayStation as my weapon of choice.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Well the only reason I got it it's because all my friends are Microsoft players 80% and new ones I met are always Microsoft... But they haven't gotten theirs so right now it's boring playing on my own.

On sony all my friend in my friend list are booster we boost and then we are done and stay on the friend list till we boost again so I basically spend all my time hunting.

So you can say I miss trophy hunting and the ps+ exclusives.. And you always have that voice that makes you regret it that makes it difficult that I made the choice of getting X1

Also I don't know how to use those sites I hate online shopping and selling to complicated might as well keep my Xbox one and wait till my friends get theirs then it might be fun playing it

I have both and honestly I hate the Xbone and really enjoy my PS4.(and this is coming from a former 360 player)

As soon as got the chance to use the One i just hated the interface. I'm pretty sure it's just me not liking the interface. I lost a lot of my friends during the switch but I've met some really amazing people along the way! :D

Honestly, If I were you I would try to get both if I were you because I use my PS4 for gaming and the One to just watch Tv with my dad most of the time.

So I would get the PS4 if I could only get one in my opinion but just in case try it out to make sure you like it before buying one.  ;)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

See this is the kind of thing I see quite a bit... Friends buy this console, so I must buy it too... It's great to play games with friends... but not at the expense of your enjoyment. If you aren't enjoying your system while playing solo, there's no point in keeping it... and this goes for either ps3/4 or xbox 360/bone. So go with what'll keep you happy all the time, instead of what your friends went with... This is essentially my statement whenever I see a thread like this. I may be playstation only, but not because I'm a fanboy... well... maybe not that kind of fanboy.... it's because I enjoy the games on playstation better... and as I've stated before... all my friends went xbox 360... but guess what... now they've jumped the train because of the fiasco with the one... So they may change their minds at some point as well.. you never know.