What are you thoughts on the current Trophy System? Needs improvement, or good as is?

Xanes

For me the region stacking should disappear. 1 list for each platform is enough. I can imagine it's a nice way to earn some money on the same game and it compensates the additional costs for each region. Which brings me to another point. A worldwide release system to avoid games not being published everywhere (unless forbidden in a country offcourse).

Also the guidelines for Trophylists should be changed. Not necessary the length of a game should be decisive if a game has a Platinum Trophy, but I find it difficult to believe that several Double Dragon games, retro collections and Forager don't have a Platinum Trophy, but one button games with 1 release and several stacks each week do have them.

For me the region stacking should disappear. 1 list for each platform is enough. I can imagine it's a nice way to earn some money on the same game and it compensates the additional costs for each region. Which brings me to another point. A worldwide release system to avoid games not being published everywhere (unless forbidden in a country offcourse).

Also the guidelines for Trophylists should be changed. Not necessary the length of a game should be decisive if a game has a Platinum Trophy, but I find it difficult to believe that several Double Dragon games, retro collections and Forager don't have a Platinum Trophy, but one button games with 1 release and several stacks each week do have them.

• Like 2

My trophy system changes wishlist:

• I want duplicate stacks to all be unified as one trophy list. Regional and PS3/PS4/PS5 stacks as one, with the exception of lists that are properly different (i.e. Final Fantasy XIV on PS4 versus PS5).
  • I want there to be a limit on how long a dev can continue adding trophies to a game so I don't have to worry about coming back to something that has been out for almost half a decade (looking at you, Risk of Rain 2), or watch a plat completion percentage be killed by a constant onslaught of DLC (*cough* Dead by Daylight *cough* *cough*)
  • I want all new games (including the Classics that are being added to PS+ Premium) to have a trophy list. I thought this one was a given at this point, but apparently not. Poor Grandia...
  • I want all games with trophies tied to servers to have a mandatory backup option for completion for when those servers eventually go down. 
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

2. eliminate ALL stacks. 1 game = 1 trophy list, regardless of region or platform. (also, playstation should mimic what the xbox does.. if a game is upgraded, ported or remastered u automatically get the best version free and your progress/save files transfer over)

This I do agree with, though keep remakes and re-imaginings separate as they are separate games unlike remasters.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Make each PSN account tied to person, using some kind of unique identification, so a single person cannot have multiple accounts - or at least, so all accounts for a single user are amalgamated together for statistical purposes.

Folks starting over, or having “alt accounts” or “burner accounts” and “testing” games on them (to ensure they can complete them before they start it on thier “real” account), has rendered statistics like rarity and game ownership meaningless.

I have about 5 accounts that are different regions, this way I can try out demos that might only be released in specific regions. As for "testing games" I have an offline dummy account just for that since I rent from gamefly. So they could give you the option to install the trophies or not. When you boot up a game for the first time the game could ask "Would you like to install trophies" then if you want to install the trophies later you can still turn them on however you would have to start a new save file.

Unless the game is online only then do not add multiplayer trophies to the main list have then as a separate list.

Organizable trophy lists is my number one pet peeve of the system. I would love to sort and organize it how I please. I think having a steam points like system tied to earning trophies which you could use to customize your profile with animated icons or change your profile section to different colors or animated frames would be pretty neat. It wouldn't have to be so crazy like steam but I feel that even though trophies are and will always be niche, Sony doesn't do anything fun with the system or at least try to utilize it any capacity.

• Like 1

Not having DLC included in the games percentage completion and having it seperate. Forcing you to buy DLC to get 100% is not fair. 

Patch all glitched trophies, the most annoying and frustrating thing ever

Be able to edit the order of the trophies on your psn list, rather than just by most recent. I would like to have my favourite games at the top. 

• Like 4

My complaints are relatively minor and are specific to individual consoles, but:

-not being able to see PS5 trophies on PS3

-not being able to sort trophy list on PS5 (PS3 allowed you to sort alphabetically or by last played)

These both seem like extremely easy things to implement so I'm not sure why they aren't already in place

I do think something needs to be done about all the shovelware and multi region stacks, but I have no hope for anything changing there so I think it's pointless to express my concerns on those topics

On 1/1/2024 at 9:49 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Make each PSN account tied to person, using some kind of unique identification, so a single person cannot have multiple accounts - or at least, so all accounts for a single user are amalgamated together for statistical purposes.

Folks starting over, or having “alt accounts” or “burner accounts” and “testing” games on them (to ensure they can complete them before they start it on thier “real” account), has rendered statistics like rarity and game ownership meaningless.

This would be problematic for completionists... many people would never play amazing games like RDR2, GTA V, etc. because they are worried about not having 100% trophies. I also don't like the idea of being limited in such a fashion (even though I only have 1 account). If my account ever got banned for some reason, that would mean I could never play online on any Sony console again for the rest of time. Doesn't seem practical or fair.

If you had the ability to "disable trophies" for a game or something along those lines, like was suggested above, I could see it working. It would allow you to try a game without having to worry about obtaining 1 trophy accidentally. 

Edited by Poindexter2291

On 1/1/2024 at 2:05 PM, Remiferia said:

- Final Fantasy XV is technically not 100%-able, because one of its DLCs is a pseudo-mmo coop thing. ...Which they even removed and made it into its own game. So, you can't unlock these trophies anymore. Except you do some DNS-server trickery, which apparently doesn't even work on PS5. 

Downgrading FFXV is like 5mins of work, also works on PS5 with the PS Plus Royal Edition. 

I can confirm it, since its the game I'm finishing right this moment on PS5 with the PS+ Royal Edition (i think it was included in the PS+ Collection).

Back to Topic, things i would wish for:

1. Be able to delete Trophy lists. (yes even with trophies unlocked), maybe have a threshhold like below 5/10%.

2. Being able to deactivate getting trophies at all, I hate to have an alt account just for games to try because i dont want no boot up trophy and commit to the whole game or games where you just want to play with friends once or twice.

Both of my points come with a grain of salt though, I came back to finish some games i had like 1% and really enjoyed them afterwards e.g. RDR1.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I don't really see the problem with stacks. A fresh trophy list is a good excuse to replay a great game. It's not my problem if this makes leaderboard hunters buy the same game 8 times. What they buy/play has zero impact on my gaming and the leaderboards are irreparably broken already. 

Auto-pops shouldn't exist though. It's nonsensical that you are rewarded two sets of trophies for playing a game once and then simply loading your save in the second stack. You did not accomplish what the trophy asked you to do in the second stack and you should not be rewarded for it.

• Like 1

1) Elimination of game stacking. While I understand from a technical level that the PS4 and PS5 trophy systems are different, I find it frustrating that nearly every single game has become stackable. Games should just get a single list.

2) Elimination of regional stacking. Very similar to the first point, but there is even less of a reason for this to exist. Games are not region-locked, so why should trophy lists be?

3) PlayStation Classics (PS1, PS2, PSP) should have a trophy mandate. And instead of showing up with a PS4 or PS5 tag, they should have a unique PS1, PS2, or PSP tag.

4) Trophy lists must contain a certain balance of trophies (Bronze, Silver, Gold) and have standards in place that ensure shovelware titles cannot be on the platform. If Nintendo and Xbox can do it, Sony should be able to as well.

5) The ability to delete trophy lists from your profile. If you play a game and don't like it, you probably don't want that game on your profile, or perhaps a friend comes over with his Fifa game, now that list is stuck on your profile. There are also situations where trophies are unobtainable for one reason or another.

6) A mandate where games with online and offline modes must have conditional trophies for online trophies. For example, Get 10,000 kills in online matches OR Get 100,000 kills in single player. This ensures that all trophies are earnable if the servers shut down.

Obviously, none of this will happen, but it is nice to dream. 

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 2

Probably a unpopular opinion: 

No more dlc trophies. 
If you absolutely must have them, make it a separate list that you opt in to have on your profile. 

Unrelated: maybe make difficulty mode trophies more of a thing again?

Edited by Bratinov
  • Like 1

This feels more like a nitpick than anything.  Base game lists should end in one or zero.  Like thirty trophies and then the plat.

And DLC lists should end in five or zero.  Or a nine to even out the whole list.

Edited by Phlegeth

44 minutes ago, Phlegeth said:

This feels more like a nitpick than anything.  Base game lists should end in one or zero.  Like thirty trophies and then the plat.

And DLC lists should end in five or zero.  Or a nine to even out the whole list.

Why, though? What would be the point of that?

I get the similar idea for achievement values, but with trophies I really don't understand.