What are you thoughts on the current Trophy System? Needs improvement, or good as is?

Xanes

This question probably gets posted a lot, but I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on the current system. Are you contempt, or if you could improve the system what would implement. 

To be real honest I want to get an idea of what the trophy hunters feel about current trophies, and if given the opportunity how would you improve it?

Eliminating stacks would be the best change. PS5 stacks do raise a problem in keeping games to a single stack, but I'm sure it could be done that playing a PS4 game with a PS5 stack on the PS5 upgrades it the PS5 tile. It'll I'm sure anger those who have invested time and money in multiple stacks, but hey, going forward you'll not need to bother with it. Alternatively multiple stacks could be kept but all they'd get you at 100% would be a new trophy type that gives... 45 points? Which says that you did a second stack of something.

The expansion of the levels is fine to me, but expanding the system would be nice. For example, a bonus for getting platinum in games of the same series. The rewards could be more trophy points, but they could also be things like avatars, titles, themes, PS App collectibles, so forth.

• Like 3

I think the trophy system is mostly fine as is. The only things I'd change are getting rid of regional stacks (platform stacks are fine imo) as there is absolutely no reason I can think of as to why they should exist. The other thing I'd change is using square icons for ALL games. It would make everything uniform again, but I actually prefer the bigger square PS5 icons because sometimes they have cooler artwork compared to their PS4 counterparts and they're just easier on the eye imo. 

• Like 1

Remove all stacks from coming games, and maybe reduce the number of platinums by raising the requirement.

I mean if there is only one stack of a shuffleware game with 21 bronze at maximum rather than a set of eight games with platinum an 70 bronze each there would not be such an impact on the leaderboards while it would still be a bargain for trophy hunters.

• Like 1

Like others in this thread I don't like stacks. It really doesn't seem right that you can platinum the same game multiple times in different regions then multiple times again on different consoles. Autopops too. While I used to buy all the horrible 1 hour platinum games, I've kind of realised whats the point in getting a platinum trophy if you aren't actually earning it, and platinuming the same game in 3 regions and 2 consoles and autopoping trophies just reminds me of that kid who used to cheat at the start of the race on sports day. I also think it would be cool to have collection bonuses for getting the platinum in games from the same series, that would motivate me to go for platinums that I wouldn't even have considered going for before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Alchemist said:

I think the trophy system is mostly fine as is. The only things I'd change are getting rid of regional stacks (platform stacks are fine imo) as there is absolutely no reason I can think of as to why they should exist. The other thing I'd change is using square icons for ALL games. It would make everything uniform again, but I actually prefer the bigger square PS5 icons because sometimes they have cooler artwork compared to their PS4 counterparts and they're just easier on the eye imo. 

1 hour ago, czDante92 said:

I'll say it too - NO STACKS, society has progressed past the need for stacks

Not possible to do totally. PS VR Worlds for example, has minigames like a shooting gallery with trophies tied to it but due to Chinese censorship, those features had to be removed, hence a seperate list is needed. Even then, stacks are up to the developers and how they submit the same game seperately for different regions is up to them, even when censorship or regional changes (e.g. gore level) doesn't affect the trophies.

They don't consider trophy hunters, it's just for legal and marketing reasons mostly, or some technical reason.

Edited by MiloFPS
  • Like 2

The system itself is generally fine imo, I don't really mind stacks. 

What I would like to see is more integration of the system in games themselves, as in rewards for example. Like getting some in game currency for trophies, a unique weapon for getting gold trophies or plat. Maybe something for having a platinum in previous games in the series, stuff like that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xanes said:

This question probably gets posted a lot, but I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on the current system. Are you contempt, or if you could improve the system what would implement. 

To be real honest I want to get an idea of what the trophy hunters feel about current trophies, and if given the opportunity how would you improve it?

A search system in your trophy list. Just a simple bar or button where u can type the name and find it. Just like psn profiles has  

I'd be very impressed if Sony cared about the system at all and had their internal team introduce trophies to the games released prior to 2009.

I highly doubt that they had the original developers make trophies for the PS1/PSP/PS2 Classics, rather than an internal team.

• Like 1

It is difficult to come up with improvements that will later be misused as a business model by some companies.

One thing would be great, 10000 extra points for a 0.1% Platinum(PSN)

That would be a good boost for my ranking from 350k to 790k🙃

Edited by D-E-U-S-X

26 minutes ago, MiloFPS said:

Not possible to do totally. PS VR Worlds for example, has minigames like a shooting gallery with trophies tied to it but due to Chinese censorship, those features had to be removed, hence a seperate list is needed. Even then, stacks are up to the developers and how they submit the same game seperately for different regions is up to them, even when censorship or regional changes (e.g. gore level) doesn't affect the trophies.

They don't consider trophy hunters, it's just for legal and marketing reasons mostly, or some technical reason.

This entire thread is asking people what/if they could change trophies, not justify why trophies are the way they are. 

And in your example, if there were no regional stacks allowed, it would merely require developers to be a bit better at planning. They could either not put a trophy in for a part of a game that would be censored in another region, have multiple conditions that would earn the same trophy in censored and non-censored versions, or consider other options. 

I’m also of the opinion that exact duplicate regional stacks were likely the first examples of developers abusing the trophy system to manipulate trophy hunters and acknowledging that Sony dropped any significant trophy guideline enforcement within 6 months of implementing trophies and all the justification around trophies since has just been lore. 

I’m fine with the lack of content curation that everyone else calls “quality control” if there was enforcement of “any exact duplicate trophy lists must be a shared list.” And it would ideally apply across regions as well as consoles.

The actual quality control I would like is Sony have QC in place for functioning games and trophies. They just need to actually work and work as expected at release. 

• Like 3

Some good points above. Rumor has it that Xbox will be going through a revamp of their achievement system sometime this year. We shall see if Playstation follows suit with some upgrades/enhancements.

• Like 2

Here's my list:

1: More constancy and clear, defined rules as to what is eligible for a Plat and what isn't, what DLCs get trophies and which ones don't, which games have cross-save and auto-pop but which don't, along with how many trophies a game or DLC needs to have before it can be released.

2: An end to non-syncing trophy lists! Microsoft and many other platform holders nailed the solution to this problem years ago but Sony has done sod all and just continues to bury their head in the sand whilst acting like there's nothing wrong 🤬!

3: A limit to the number of possible stacks a game can have. I love stacking my favourite games but gone are the days when they were a rare novelty that was reserved only for certain games under particular circumstances - now it's a free for all where any old games are allowed to have 5+ stacks per-platform :(. 2 per-platform is more than enough IMO.

4: Let us sort our trophy lists alphabetically again! The PS3 had this feature but for reasons unknown, Sony removed it from the PS4 and PS5 (I don't know about the Vita though)

5: No more level cap increases! Raising the trophy points level cap to 999 was a boneheaded idea that removed what little value the trophy system had. In fact, I would be only too happy to see the entire system reverted to what it was like in the early days, before Sony started pointlessly fiddling with something that wasn't broken in any noteworthy way.

6: Either make Online trophies not count towards the Plat or better still, don't add trophies to online modes in the first place!

7: Bring back the Playstation Minis section in the PS Store. Doing this would allow newbie devs to get their games/game concepts seen and played at a budget price but without any trophies, then if they sell well and get decent reviews, the devs can request permission to add a trophy list and move them into the main part of the store.

8: Better detection and punishment of trophy cheats by Sony themselves, along with a big time crackdown on firmware hacks. Sony has been turning way too much of a blind eye to all the hacking that goes on these days but have done little or nothing to track down and punish those caught doing it.

9: If a trophy becomes unobtainable for whatever reason, its requirements should be changed to something that is obtainable. In the case of MP trophies, the problem can be solved my either including an offline/LAN/Splitscreen MP mode where you can get everything done with either bots or a local friend or make it so the trophies have dual requirements e.g. how certain Mass Effect games handle them.

• Like 2

Make each PSN account tied to person, using some kind of unique identification, so a single person cannot have multiple accounts - or at least, so all accounts for a single user are amalgamated together for statistical purposes.

Folks starting over, or having “alt accounts” or “burner accounts” and “testing” games on them (to ensure they can complete them before they start it on thier “real” account), has rendered statistics like rarity and game ownership meaningless.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2