Are new trophies on PS3 still tracked?

OtherMelon

I’m kinda new to this platinum hunting stuff so I’m not particularly familiar with how PlayStation tracks achievements on the older consoles. I am considering getting a PS3 to replay some games I had as a kid and was wondering if the achievements would appear on my new PSN account. I made this newer account on my PS4 before I moved to my the PS5 and I’m unsure if I could use this newer account on the PS3. Thanks in advance to anyone that may know the answer.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fiercethetear said:

PS3 is goated you are in for a ride my friend

Buy a ps3 slim or super slim btw they are more durable

I recommend a super slim much easier to upgrade the HDD, I recommend a 1TB SSD, but that's because I have alot of PS3 games. 

@OtherMelon Make sure you login to PSN on the account you created locally before you start a game and start earning trophies.

All trophies earned before linking a PSN account will have 'missing timestamp' instead of a proper timestamp. This might mess up the list and milestones on this site and other tracking sites.

This can be your newly created PSN account or any other you already have, they're all compatible.

To login on your PS3 you can't use your normal password as the PS3 can't guarantee/calculate today's standards of security.
So you need to go to a website (don't have the link at hand atm) and make a device password that you enter on PS3. This password you can re-use on the same PS3 so I'd say to just tick the box 'remember password' when you login the first time.

Beware: If you leave the webpage that shows the device password, you can't see it again so make sure you remember it. You can of course make a new device password if something goes wrong.

I think by now 2-factor authentication is also required if you want to create those device passwords or actually get them to work on your PS3.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DEMONICRUBLE18 said:

I recommend a super slim much easier to upgrade the HDD, I recommend a 1TB SSD, but that's because I have alot of PS3 games. 

I just bought a super slim 500GB actually, does putting an SSD decrease loading times significantly?

3 hours ago, Fiercethetear said:

I just bought a super slim 500GB actually, does putting an SSD decrease loading times significantly?

It does decrease but more with installation which can take a long time, say a 10 minute installation is cut down to 5 minutes, it also does decrease load times but depending on the game it's not that noticeable, there was a really good video I saw on YouTube back when I was upgrading but can't remember the video I watched lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fiercethetear said:

As said loading time is slightly decreased, but other items are significantly improved. The store actually functions (albeit still slowly), it can help with download speeds because the write times are reduced and less of a bottleneck, and trophy syncing larger profiles is more consistently successful. Also helps the console stay cooler and run quieter. Plus SSDs are pretty cheap these days.

• Like 2

It's not an issue as such, but worth being aware that viewing trophy lists on your PS3 and Vita consoles won't show any PS5 trophies.

Trophy lists on your PS4 and PS5 will show everything.

Edited by DynoDux
  • Like 4

Good for you, going for those ps3 plats 💪

Still one of the best consoles, and some of the best games available to this day. I still go back to it nearly as much as my other consoles. And the graphics you get used to, certainly when the games are that good.

Little tip, playing with a dualshock 4 or a dualsense really hightens the experience and worth buying an extra controller to play on it with.

Have fun 🥳

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback. I happy to learn that the trophies can still be obtained. I’ll be looking around to see if I can find any PS3 that work with my budget. 

Also ya I realize I should call them trophies instead of achievements. MB

• Like 1

Absolutely.

Just be sure to sign into your PSN account (therefore connecting your console to the internet) from the profile/user created on your console to prevent missing trophy timestamps.