Rumor: Titanfall "up and running" on PS4, multiplatform imminent?

Lady Lilith

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/05/09/rumour-titanfall-up-and-running-on-playstation-4-could-it-ever-be-released/

A tipster with a fairly solid track record has suggested that Titanfall is up and running on PlayStation 4 and is about to go multiplatform.

The exact nature of EA’s deal with Microsoft is somewhat of a mystery and even took Respawn by surprise, they found out about the deal late into production. I would expect that Respawn had at least started on a PS4 version before the exclusivity deal was in place so there is no reason why they could not continue development on that build.

However, Microsoft paid for exclusivity, and no doubt paid a very large amount of money for it, so how could the game come to PlayStation 4? I doubt they would got for a timed exclusive with a game this big so what other option could there be?

EA want to make money, that is a fact, and they would only agree to an exclusivity deal if the lump sum from Microsoft plus sales of the game on the Xbox consoles would at least equal the sums of cash generated if the game was multiplatform. Xbox One is now trailing behind PlayStation 4 by roughly two million units and sales of Titanfall have been great, but not fantastic.

Now this is pure speculation on my part, but if I were EA I would have had a clause built in to exclusivity contract which states that at least X amount of units must be sold on the Xbox formats to guarantee a profit on the game. If that number is not reached, EA would be able to activate the clause which allows them to release the game six months later on PlayStation, perhaps at the expense of paying back some of the Microsoft money.

That way if the Xbox sales don’t add up, EA can still make a profit, it’s a win-win situation for the company. Microsoft would have a hard time disagreeing to such a clause because they want to appear to be the best selling console. If they did not agree to the clause then it would have suggested they were uncertain about the sales of Xbox One and EA would have chucked the deal in the bin.

As I said, that is complete speculation on my part but if I were broking the deal, that’s what I would have done.

“Sony also used it’s own metrics in a meeting with EA last week and showed them what they would have sold on the PS3 and PS4,” said another noted tipster last month. “The money EA took from MS doesn’t even begin to cover it. The EA guys went over the math and agreed.”

Titanfall is almost certainly up and running on PlayStation 4, whether or not it gets released will be a matter for the lawyers and accountants.

Good news if true, I'd rather have this on PS4 than PC if possible.  Also, if this is true, it pretty much solidifies that I will not get an Xbox One likely ever, since Titanfall is the only announced exclusive I'd want.  Now if Banjo went back to platforming or an exclusive Sega game...both of those are pretty unlikely though.

• Like 1

That would be great for all the PS4 owners who want to buy it, I already own it on PC and it's tons of fun

releasing on PS4 would be the smart and profitable thing for EA to do.

Also I don't think MS owns any bit of Titanfall. Respawn developed it and EA published it, the exclusivity deal is most likely timed

I read somewhere a few days ago that Sony turned down Titanfall at the beginning because they didn't want anyone to leak the specs of the PS4 to Microsoft. They wanted to keep it a secret to stay ahead of the competition.

Also it was leaked a while ago that Titanfall 2 would come to the PS4 - https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/14139-titanfall-2-coming-to-ps4-claim-insiders/?hl=+titanfall

I read somewhere a few days ago that Sony turned down Titanfall at the beginning because they didn't want anyone to leak the specs of the PS4 to Microsoft. They wanted to keep it a secret to stay ahead of the competition.

Also it was leaked a while ago that Titanfall 2 would come to the PS4 - https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/14139-titanfall-2-coming-to-ps4-claim-insiders/?hl=+titanfall

It would be illogical for Sony to turn Titanfall down considering it's a new ip. They probably was just not interested as Microsoft at the time. To be honest, us Xbox One players jumped the gun, PVZ Garden Warfare is and Sunset Overdrive will be the game to spark interest for people. 

Eh, I don't really care. Titanfall was so overhyped, and had such little content for a £50 game (no single player, medium amount of maps). It should've been either a free to play game, or a subscription game (with no entry fee)

• Like 1