PS3 Freezing on PSN sign in after new update

I had a different issue after the update.
I turned on the PS3, installed the update, the PS3 restarted fine and I turned off => all by using the controller, didn't touch the actual PS3.

Next time I turn on the PS3 using the controller and once it's on the controller doesn't respond, 4 red lights blinking. Same for the other 2 linked controllers, didn't connect when pressing the PS button.

Tried restarting the PS3 by using the power button on the PS3 and afterwards the controllers still didn't connect.
Tried connecting the controllers by USB and pressing the PS-button to re-link them but didn't work.

Ended up pressing the little reset button in the tiny hole on the back of the controller and then re-linked again through USB and then it worked again.
It has been working fine since then but I can't remember ever having this issue with the PS3 controllers.

I do have one controller on PS4 that will randomly freeze up instead of turning off when idle too long. Then I also need to reset it in the same way.

43 minutes ago, DizzyDavidson said:

No issues here and I played on PS3 (signed in) almost every day since the update.

Same, been playing Dark Souls 2 online (Final hurrah before servers close) for the last week, no issues.

• Like 1

No problem here too. Ive been playing Mafia 2 and other games last 2 weeks including before and after the update.

i use PS3 controller for menus and close games and the rest usually use PS4 controller. No issues too.

Rebuid database.It might correct some firmware bugs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChowderlyDude said:

i Installed f1 2013 but I don't think it's that.

After the update, you were able to boot normally and install a game without issues? And then the issue started?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Helyx said:

After the update, you were able to boot normally and install a game without issues? And then the issue started?

ya im not sure when the update was

i havent tried rebuilding database but i have to get an actual ps3 controller before i can since it prompts for it on safe mode startup.... ive bought 2 controllers from game xchange and they both had holy moly stick drift and ebay isnt that well stocked with official ons either. been using NS magicflash to use a ps5 controller on ps3.

Just now, ChowderlyDude said:

ya im not sure when the update was

Until you can gather more information and a clear timeline of events leading up to this current problem, try just turning on the PS3 without signing in. Does it work fine while "offline" (with an internet connection, but not connected to PSN)?

From there, we can try different things concerning your connection. If you're wireless and having issues, then try using a LAN cable (there could be an issue with your wifi board). If you're wired, try going wireless.

If there's any way to backup your local save data onto a USB drive, I suggest doing it now before going further. I don't think rebuilding the database will help with a firmware hiccup, but you may need to eventually wipe the system and start over if these problems persist.

• Like 2

2 other things you can try which have helped others in the past with weird connection problems, are disabling the Media Server option in the Network Settings menu, along with making sure you have the correct daylight savings option enabled/disabled.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

2 other things you can try which have helped others in the past with weird connection problems, are disabling the Media Server option in the Network Settings menu, along with making sure you have the correct daylight savings option enabled/disabled.

oh thats right i did switch it to the correct daylight savings to make it the correct time, ill try reverting it back

reverting it back doesngt ehlp. seems to b fine not signed in

mine seems to be ok so far, i updated a ps3 phat and a super slim. i mainly played on the slim but it just had the normal stuttering it usually has because it cant handle things. had some input lag in a game but i think it was the game itself. im going back to my backlog i think for a bit so ill notice more the next few days

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

disabling the Media Server

It might also be worth tinkering with DMZ or uPnP (enable/disable, checking for improvements).

• Like 1

i figured out the issue, for some reason it put my old verizon internet as the connection and was trying to connect to that even after I switched to spectrum and put that as my connection. That 5G home box from verizon is annoying because it supercedes everything and messes with your wifi network priorities.