Skeptical about 7/10 review score median and price point

I was sort of excited for this game and was going to get it the first week it was put but it seems it’s not what I was expecting. How does this game get rated lower than Wo Long? Because it is being rated as an open world game? Is it a bandwagon reviewer thing or is the game just not good enough to be an 8 or better for a triple A game? I saw the gameplay footage for myself and can agree the combat looks sorta bland and not many attack animations as in Nioh. Is there even stances? Looks real bare bones too me. Story and characters as well seem a bit too cartoony and anime-ish but that’s team ninjas M.O. The price point is a kick in the balls though. In Australia at least! A disc version of tjis is $125 from EB games. I can’t justify that from these average review scores.

• Like 2

7 isn’t average, 5 is average 

From what I’ve played I’m enjoying it so far, it’s your typical open world marks on a map to check off as you travel through the world, some points are harder than others and you’ll need to come back to them at a higher level

Combat is tough but fair, a little bit risk vs reward with deciding whether to block/dodge or try and parry and there are difficultly options if you want to make it easier 

honestly I’d say watch some open world gameplay or someone streaming that’ll give you a better idea if it’s for you because you’ll see what the gameplay loop is and decide if you want to spend 20-30+ hours doing that 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pavelbagirov said:

In today standards barely any game receive 6 or less from all great critics,most of the games receive 8-10 all the time,so because of that 7-8 is become average score sadly and not 4-5/10

This is my assessment as well. 

6 or 7/10 are the new 4-5/10. Your mileage will vary with games in these score ranges. 

• Like 2

Just now, DanTheMan_94_ said:

I’m really enjoying this game, reminds me a lot of the open world Assassin Creed games

Honestly this is what I was hoping for when buying it. I'm trying to get into assassin creed games but i find the story of a guy in the future going back in time just off putting lol. So I was hoping it would give me that without that story. 

From the reviews I've read, it's kind of like an Assassin's Creed game with all of the map markers and busy work. But the combat is Team Ninja all the way. 

I wouldn't spend $125 on any game ever, regardless of the score! Everything gets cheaper if you wait, and that's exactly what I do.

And as a few others have said, 7 is an "average" game. A 6 might squeak in there, too. 5 or under is usually a bad game. 8,9,10 are good, great, excellent : )

• Like 1

4-5 hours in and I'm really enjoying it in these early stages.

It just feels really good to play. Tons of QoL things in all aspects. Combat is good, traversal feels nice and the open world hasn't felt like a chore to navigate at all so far.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, EDGES said:

Days Gone was targeted for some reasons

tbf Days Gone simply wasn't really very good imo. I stopped playing after 6 or 10 hours. Zombies are just overdone by now, the whole biker setting was cringe af, the game was buggy and also the gas mechanic was annoying. It was probably "good enough" but with the plethora of great open-world games that all demand hundreds of hours of game time, nobody has time for "good enough" anymore.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

12 minutes ago, EDGES said:

true, if somehow you missed the day one patch that fixed everything

lo played it looooong after release when it was in that PS4 games for the launch of the PS5 PS Plus Bundle thingy and I had people flying through the air and other issues, even have a clip or two of that happening on my YT channel.

Also, when Days Gone came out, the world already played stuff like Breath of the Wild or Horizon for two years. It can't compete with that kind of excellence, especially with a cookie cutter zombie apocalypse setting. Having big amounts of zombies that you can brutally kill already got old after the release of Dead Rising 2 in 2010.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Sicho said:

tbf Days Gone simply wasn't really very good imo. I stopped playing after 6 or 10 hours. Zombies are just overdone by now, the whole biker setting was cringe af, the game was buggy and also the gas mechanic was annoying. It was probably "good enough" but with the plethora of great open-world games that all demand hundreds of hours of game time, nobody has time for "good enough" anymore.

The only thing I think let days gone down was the story and characters. The setting and game were great. But Im ashamed to say I didn’t play it until a year after it came out at least. And for free :(. One of the only games I felt guilty not buying at the start.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've learned that reviews for any medium are, at their best, how you can look at a piece of media critically; whether or not you'll enjoy playing/watching/listening to/reading it is something else entirely and completely subjective, but the two are conflated all too much these days.

Just ignore reviews. The game is pretty cool. Same with dragons dogma 2. people moan about performance and i have the time of my (gaming)-life in that game on my ps5. 

Edited by Cyphronite_
  • Like 1

There should be an extraordinary reason to buy a game at a metacritic score less than 80. In my eyes, it's not a Ubisoft game with Team Ninja gameplay. That is a hard pass. In general, games with narratives should have a foundation in story, characters and themes. None of those is present in Rise of Ronin. ChatGPT level story seems to be present, non existent characters, and i doubt it has anything interesting to tell. I might as well just try out Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3, GOW Ragnarok and 50 other games above 80 in metacritic score. There are too many open world games left to explore  

• Confused 4

7/10 is a good score.

8/10 is very good.

9/10 is amazing.

I fail to see how 7/10 is even average, let alone bad. I'm tired of people not using the full 1-10 scale and interpreting grades correctly. And even then, there's always going to be some subjectivity involved, based on tastes and experience with the final version. Personally, I reviewed Rise of the Ronin and it scored an 8/10 for me, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

And I disagree here in this thread that 6-7/10 is becoming the 4-5/10 rating. Some reviewers may forget how to count or apply the scale properly, but a lot of them including myself know what they're doing. People who think this game is a 4-5/10 haven't played an actual 4-5/10 game.

@ElektrickRage If you were looking forward to picking up this game: go ahead, pick it up and enjoy it. There's hardly any innovation present, but it borrows elements from other games and molds them into a fun experience, with a few caveats here and there.

That Australian price point does seem to be accurate when you look at the current exchange rate to euros or US dollars. No clue what the average wage of an Australian citizen is though.

• Like 3

I think people place waaaay too much importance on scores/numbers and don't listen to the actual comments within a review when making purchasing decisions.

From everything that has been said, it sounds like the game is in need of a few performance patches and balance tweaking for those difficulty spikes, BUT it also has that fast-food Ubisoft checklist stuff that scratches my itch when I'm in the mood for it. So I will be waiting for a sale when, hopefully, the aforementioned issues have been ironed out.

Never let reviews kill your excitement for a game you're looking forward to. And if you're really on the fence, just wait for a price drop.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Reject said:

Honestly this is what I was hoping for when buying it. I'm trying to get into assassin creed games but i find the story of a guy in the future going back in time just off putting lol. So I was hoping it would give me that without that story. 

That is NOT what Assassin's Creed is about at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2