Decided to get a gaming PC :)

xlIlIIlIIIlIlIlx

Post comments on what you think, btw the cost of the build is approx 2400,,

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI

Processors: Overclocked Intel Core i7 4770K Quad-Core (4.0GHz-4.7GHz)

Power Supply: 1000 Watt Corsair RM1000

Graphic Cards: Single 2GB NVIDIA GTX 750Ti

Memory: 16GB ORIGIN PC powered by HyperX 1600Mhz (2x8GB)

Operating System: Genuine MS Windows 8.1 64-Bit Edition

Operating System Drive #1: 240GB ORIGIN PC Approved Solid State Drive

Operating System Drive #2: None

Hard Drive Cage: 5 Bay Hot-Swap Cage

Optical Drive One: None

I plan on buying a 1tb external hard drive therefore I went only with ssd

http://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/millennium/

Probably one of the best decisions when planning to do gaming, in my opinion. I bounce back and forth between Playstation and PC, picking and choosing which games to get for what. But, I'd get that 1 TB hard drive ASAP so you don't put that many things on your SSD.

Good choice, moved to PC last year and haven't looked back since!

Building a PC yourself isn't difficult, and it will give you considerably better performance and cost less money. Just did a quick build for you. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/AMH95/saved/4MQp

I would recommend building a PC anyway just so you get familiar with everything, that way you know where all the parts go and how to fit them. You'll need to take them out eventually for upgrades and cleaning later on down the line regardless of what you do so it helps to have the experience.

Edited by AndroidFox

You are overpaying for RAM to be honest, unless you plan to play high-end games and render videos at the same time, it's not worth it.

Nor do I think there will be games that need more than 4-5 GB of RAM to run smoothly.

If I were you, I'd consider spending less on the SSD (240 is huge, I run 128 with OS and my main 2 games, it's really enough) and cut RAM to 8.

Those two changes and you could probably go for a higher end GPU to support the monstrous CPU, since you gotta remember, if CPU and GPU are not on par with each other they will begin to drag themselves down in performance.

I'd consider investing more into GPU, since the one you plan on buying will easily get outdated as new-gen titles become to rule out onto PCs.

you should invest more on the GPU, well just if it is a gaming pc, if you have trouble with the money you can get a cheaper cpu and mobo, the ssd is a great choice... and you can just get 8GBs of ram, 16 is too much i think, this is my pc:

Intel Core i5-3570k

MSI Z77A-G43 Gaming

Corsair 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600MHz

Corsair CX750 750w PSU

Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870XT 2GB with boost

Samsung 840 250GB SSD

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer

Asus 24x DVD Drive

Asus VS247 LCD Monitor 24"

Microsoft SideWinder x4 Keyboard

Razer DeathAdder 2013 Edittion Mouse

Razer Goliathus Extended Edition MousePad

Logitech LS21 2.1 Speakers

and trust me that it rocks and runs any game smoothly, but I use it for CAD most of the time!

the SSD will boost the performance of the PC a lot, trust me A LOT!

Yo, for those specs, $2,000 is way over the amount you should be paying. Are you buying one pre-assembled or are you building this yourself? Because those who sell pre-assembled rigs overcharge for the labor (even though it takes them at most an hour per build) and it's much cheaper to get the parts themselves and build your computer yourself. If you are planning on assembling your computer yourself, then you've gotta pick another site (I recommend Tiger Direct, Newegg, and part manufacturers such as AMD and Intel) because the prices you'll be buying from are out of control. 

I'd also recommend not getting an i7 unless you're planning on editing and rendering video or livestreaming. i5s generally overclock and turbo a lot more efficient than i7s. I'd also suggest perhaps getting a much better GPU (A current GTX would be absolutely fine) and downgrading on your PSU to maybe ~850w if you plan on getting a more powerful GPU. A 1000w PSU would be waaaaay overkill for your build you have right now. I'd recommend keeping the PSU if you plan on linking GPUs later on, but for your current specs, you'd never need nearly as much.

Another thing is RAM. RAM is always awesome to have, but 16GB could potentially be overkill. I'd recommend dropping down to two 4GB sticks of some powerful RAM (Ripjaws, HyperX just to name a few) of 2100 at most, because that's absolutely plenty. 

I'd also recommend throwing in a 1TB Western Digital Black/Blue/Green for ~$70, and downgrading your SSD to 160GB at most. You don't want to use your SSD for anything besides your OS and something you use frequently (video editing software, programs, MMOs, or games you play a ton of and don't plan on deleting from the SSD) due to SSDs having limited writes in their lifetime. 

If you want an idea of what the price of an already overkill build would be, plus flashy accessories, check out my current build on this pastebin: http://pastebin.com/0YXmGMf1 I've got two $200 20" monitors as well as a $100 keyboard and mouse, and I'm BARELY over $2,000.

EDIT: You didn't list an optical drive in your specs, that's something you need unless you plan from installing Windows from USB. (which is fine if you are, but I wouldn't do that, personally) You'd also then have to buy a copy of Windows. (Get a 64 bit version Windows 7, of course.)

Edited by Gravesound

That's pretty overpriced indeed. Also, please, PLEASE do not use the overclock function unless you absolutely require it. It exponentially shortens the life of your hardware. There's a reason why parts are clocked to certain speeds. I've had many people complain to me when I worked at a PC store in the past that their computers didn't last long only to find out they left overclock on the whole time. Their GPUs were a nightmare.

Here's  an example of a GPU that's been overworked  and is paying the price

cV0aUlY.jpg

Prepare to have a LOT of games to play.

I've had my gaming PC about a year and a half and my Steam library went from about 50 to 300... and everything purchased on the cheap. Thinking off hand, I believe Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 6 are the only games I'd paid full price for in that period (and that's just because I'm impatient, you can get Tomb Raider GOTY for about $8 now on sale). Everything else is from bundles, free giveaways or heavy sales. I've gotten 50-75% off of games before they even come out.

There are sales going on right now to get all three Bioshock games for about $13. And another to get Batman Arkham Asylum, City and Origins and all DLC and season passes for about $20. It's nuts.

Edited by Dreakon13

Post comments on what you think, btw the cost of the build is approx 2400,,

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI

Processors: Overclocked Intel Core i7 4770K Quad-Core (4.0GHz-4.7GHz)

Power Supply: 1000 Watt Corsair RM1000

Graphic Cards: Single 2GB NVIDIA GTX 750Ti

Memory: 16GB ORIGIN PC powered by HyperX 1600Mhz (2x8GB)

Operating System: Genuine MS Windows 8.1 64-Bit Edition

Operating System Drive #1: 240GB ORIGIN PC Approved Solid State Drive

Operating System Drive #2: None

Hard Drive Cage: 5 Bay Hot-Swap Cage

Optical Drive One: None

I plan on buying a 1tb external hard drive therefore I went only with ssd

http://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/millennium/

A lot is going to say your setup/price is way overpriced maybe you should list all the little things u are paying for to to migitation the cost.

Looking over what you listed, it would cost about 1200$ of parts, before tax. I would assume the case and liquid cooling your getting would cost the other 1000$ so? The Millenium case looks pretty cool, their probably charging u what? 300$+ for that case probably and liquid cooling another what? 100$ for their origin brand? probably equivalent to a corsair hydro h60series give or take.

so thats 1200 + 400$~ 

roughly 1600$ of parts so far

$2400 your paying? ouch

Forget that case and origin, build it yourself and use that other 800$ on upgrading to better gpu and IPS monitor.

Thats ridiculously overpriced, are you building this yourself your getting it already build? Because my build is more powerful and it costed me half of that. To anyone wanting to build a pc/get into pc gaming I strongly recommend visiting this site http://www.logicalincrements.com/ , just read the diagram and choose what tier you want simple as that. For example the gpu you chose they suggest in a $500 build, which is fine but it will most likely bottlekneck your cpu in some games.

Capture.jpg

Good luck trying to game on PC because various DRM such as Uplay and stuff will be shoved down your throat every time you try to play a game such as Child of Light as well as having awful ports of certain games. :shakefist:

Edited by LeiFangFan85

^ your build is more powerful? how is it more powerful?

I am not sure you understood what i said, the graph in my post is an example showing the original poster that a $500 build has the same gpu as his $2000, which is beyond ridiculous. This my build just replace cpu with an fx-9370 and obviously the mobo.

Capture.jpg

lol yeah. when I have money to splash I'd get a high end PC, but until then consoles all the way.

That logic is somewhat flawed when you can get something more powerful than any ps4/xbone just by paying £50 extra. You don't need to play everything on Ultra settings / 1080p / 60-120 fps, specially when the current consoles dont even pass 900p / 30 fps.

That logic is somewhat flawed when you can get something more powerful than any ps4/xbone just by paying £50 extra. You don't need to play everything on Ultra settings / 1080p / 60-120 fps, specially when the current consoles dont even pass 900p / 30 fps.

But if it doesnt look much better then I might as well stick to a console.

even if I bought a high end PC, most my time would still be spent on PS because of exclusives and trophies.

• Like 1

Good luck trying to game on PC because various DRM such as Uplay and stuff will be shoved down your throat every time you try to play a game such as Child of Light as well as having awful ports of certain games. :shakefist:

I dunno what problems you had on Steam or other PC online retailers, but I've never had any problems (that lasted more than a week at most) with Steam, Origin or uPlay (even though I prefer Steam over the other two any day) and I've been PC gaming for years. Bad game ports aren't that prominent in PC gaming, really. The worst I can think of was the Dark Souls PC port, but user-made mods such as DSFix fixed the problems easily. Even then, check out gameplay of games before you buy them to make sure you'll be happy with the results.

EDIT: And DRM isn't an issue as long as you don't switch computers every month.

Edited by Gravesound
  • Like 1

But if it doesnt look much better then I might as well stick to a console.

even if I bought a high end PC, most my time would still be spent on PS because of exclusives and trophies.

Sure is nice when you can run everything on ultra and the game looks nice but thats entirely dependant on the developer, most will not bother to make the pc version better graphically at all, which is why I always say fps is a better reason, I take 50-70fps everyday over 15-30 frames the difference is like night and day. Regarding trophies/achievements steam has that but everyone i know cares about badges more which imo is a way better system.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 1

Sure is nice when you can run everything on ultra and the game looks nice but thats entirely dependant on the developer, most will not bother to make the pc version better graphically at all, which is why I always say fps is a better reason, I take 50-70fps everyday over 15-20 frames the difference is like night and day. Regarding trophies/achievements steam has that but everyone i know cares about badges more which imo is a way better system.

your 50-70fps vs 15-20 fps is comparing a PC of TODAY to a PS3 of 7 years ago.

If you bought a PC on the same date and price as a PS3 when it launched, the PS3 would perform better.

If you want to compare a PC to a PS3 TODAY then you have to use a £150 budget which is how much the PS3 costs. If you want to go pre-owned then that falls to £100. PC's are not worth it for low-mid range unless for exclusives.

No doubt a high end PC kills consoles on multiplatform graphics, but thats a luxury most people cant afford.

• Like 1

your 50-70fps vs 15-20 fps is comparing a PC of TODAY to a PS3 of 7 years ago.

If you bought a PC on the same date and price as a PS3 when it launched, the PS3 would perform better.

If you want to compare a PC to a PS3 TODAY then you have to use a £150 budget which is how much the PS3 costs. If you want to go pre-owned then that falls to £100. PC's are not worth it for low-mid range unless for exclusives.

No doubt a high end PC kills consoles on multiplatform graphics, but thats a luxury most people cant afford.

There isnt a single ps4/xboxone tittle that is impressive graphically and runs above 30 frames today, and if I were to follow that buget I am pretty sure it would be able to run games at low settings above 30 frames and 720p which is what the ps3/360 were playing in the end of their eras.