36 Years Of Console Prices, Adjusted For Inflation.

DarknessKey92

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/12/36-years-of-console-prices-adjusted-for-inflation/

If you thought the PS4 and Xbox One’s launch prices were expensive, well, they kinda were! But not as expensive as the NES. Or Neo Geo. Or Saturn, Or PlayStation, or Atari 2600.

Reddit user Auir2blaze has run historical console launch prices through an inflation adjustment calculator (which normally use dollar strength and the cost of basic goods over time) to reveal how expensive, relatively, every major console since the 1970s really was.

Despressingly, even after being adjusted for inflation, many of these consoles are still less expensive than they originally cost in Australia. Yay, Australia tax!

You’ll notice the PS4 and Xbox One aren’t too bad, especially compared to their immediate predecessors. You’ll also see why it was so hard finding a kid who ever owned a Neo Geo or 3DO. Holy crap.

original.jpg

• Like 2

700$ for a console is never justifiable when you can build a PC for that same price as a high end gaming machine and with many more uses than just playing games. Sony realizes this with the PS4 and capitalized on it.

Tbh when a console's price goes over 400$, its hard to justify it vs PC.

The what? I had to google it. The 'controller' looks like a fighting game stick

Ahh yes the game.system that came with its own tv

The controller is very comfortable, actually. It tucks into the system quite nicely too so when you're done playing you have a nice clean area. For those who have never heard of a Vectrec, just look at this beauty. 

vectrex-rev-01.jpg

The Vectrex is easily one of my favorite consoles, I play mine more than my Xbox One and Wii U.

Parker

The controller is very comfortable, actually. It tucks into the system quite nicely too so when you're done playing you have a nice clean area. For those who have never heard of a Vectrec, just look at this beauty. 

vectrex-rev-01.jpg

The Vectrex is easily one of my favorite consoles, I play mine more than my Xbox One and Wii U.

Parker

it looks like one of those early 80s consoles

I still have my Atari 2600 and most of its games sitting in a box in a closet somewhere.  I don't know if any of the joysticks work well enough to play stuff, but it's there if I have a sudden attack of nostalgia and can't beat it down with a stick.

vectrex-rev-01.jpg

Parker

Looks like a smaller, more portable version of an early arcade machine.

• 4 weeks later...

700$ for a console is never justifiable when you can build a PC for that same price as a high end gaming machine and with many more uses than just playing games. Sony realizes this with the PS4 and capitalized on it.

Tbh when a console's price goes over 400$, its hard to justify it vs PC.

problem is a console you keep the same for 5-6 yrs till new console comes out, but in 5-6 yrs i would had changed 3-4 gpu and probably a bunch of others things to keep it "high end" just cause you can so easily switch out parts.