Is this the worst generation of Game Developers ever?

Brenden

Games get worse as we go along, well at least less fun anyway,

AC2 > AC: B > AC: R

COD4 > COD 6> COD 8

BFBC1 > BFBC2 > BF3

That is just my opinion however.

That's all the same genre though...there are plenty of examples where the exact opposite is true.

Unlike movies, usually the gaming sequel is better than the original.

I think this is a great generation of game developers since this generation's game systems are more complex and still manages to make great games. However there are some games that are "imcomplete" and there's DLC to make the game "complete", with a price too. :/

• Like 1

The problem is that games these days are so big and so complicated to appeal to the public that even with significantly larger teams (MGS1 was made with around 20 people, MGS4 was made with closer to 200) it takes even longer to develop them (a majority of PS2 games had a 9 month to a year development cycle, PS3 games are closer to 3 years). This means that there is more code to test and less time to test it in because of the stranglehold the publishers put the developers in, so of course there is going to be more bugs and glitches, but now we have the opportunity of patches then these bugs will be fixed and it doesn't matter anymore. Although I must say that the reports of all the bugs plaguing Skyrim have stopped me from buying it until the majority of them are fixed. Sort it out eh Bethesda?

• 4 weeks later...

You definitely talk about some really great points.

Patches soon after release aren't a big deal really, well if they're for games that have some online components that is. When it's for games like Skyrim, it's not so great. It comes across like the developers don't even test their games correctly and are just more concerned about hitting that deadline release date...which shouldn't even be put in place until they're certain the game will be fine.

Day one DLC? Don't even get me started on that, it's just pure BS :shakefist:

• Like 1

I thought this at first but then I educated myself on why games are lacking quality these days. My theory* is simple, games got too advanced for the developers to keep up. For instance when the PS3 first came out the games were not too pretty, for example Resistance: Fall of Man. What happened was the PS3 was far too advanced for developers and game quality was a bit underwhelming at first. Even today these consoles are a bit advanced for our time, even PCs. Another theory is that some developers don't give a shit anymore but that one is farfetched to me. Seriously look at today's games and then look at the last generation of games. Video games took a HUGE leap in the span of only 2 generations and it's overwhelming game developers.

*Theory=An idea, it doesn't mean it's fact.