Best/Worst Class?

devourerplease

it really depends tbh.

Babarian king works wonders against most of the bosses due to his projectile clear.

Hokage which is my favorite can kill bosses very fast and his special technic can get him out of a pickle easily.

The worst classes i found was the spell classes.

Wizard didnt really do much for me unless i had timestop on him, but when i did have this spell i could easily break anything.

Spellsword was kinda useless against enemies that moved too much or too randomized (with the exception of final boss who would just run into bladewall all day)

But the worst of all classes was the dragon, low dmg, low range and the flying ability was very situational if it gave an advantage.

Really, it depends on what your plan is for the castle.

Overall, the best class is the secret class that you unlock for beating all of the secret bosses.

However, if you don't have that class, these are the best classes.

Barbarian King is best for exploring new areas. He can take a beating while you learn attack patterns for any new enemies. This is especially true for bosses, you can use him to learn attack patterns for bosses, then come in with a more powerful class next time to take it out. Usually, his longevity wins out anyway though, and it's unnecessary to do so. Barbarian King is also the best for grinding out gold late game. He can take a beating, and also recovers a lot of HP from eating, so you can easily explore the entire castle with him. If I had to choose a single class to be the best, it would definitely be this one. He may not do a lot of damage, but he's got the highest survive-ability, which is way more important, especially on later playthroughs when it takes tons of hits to kill any class anyway, even with max atk.

Hokage is the best for killing, hands down. He does obscene damage consistently, so he can take down anything quickly, he isn't reliant on MP for his damage, his special ability gives even more movement for dodging attacks, and he also has increased movement speed which can help dodge attacks as well.

Spelunker is best for grinding out runes and finding armor, and if you don't mind not earning gold, he can help you speed run the game by finding the bosses, and then locking the castle layout for the next child.

The worst classes are the Wizard and the Knave.

The Wizard is squishy, his basic attack is weak, and he doesn't have any way to replenish MP. So once you're out of mana, you're done.

And the Knave is bad because he's squishy and does low damage unless you crit. You want consistency in this game too, so randomly killing things in one hit can cause confusion and screw up any plan you have for dodging attacks, especially on later playthroughs when the game turns into a bullet hell game. It's also just not a good idea to rely on luck like that.

Barely. It's' not enough to make any real difference. Not once have I used that class and had it make any difference, once I was out, I'd get maybe one or two extra casts at best, so I don't even count it.

It's percentile based, so it benefits from having a large pool of mana.  Don't get me wrong, I'll take spellsword over archmage anyday, but reduced spell costs and lots of mana let the archmage have a fairly sustainable pool of mana.

It's percentile based, so it benefits from having a large pool of mana.  Don't get me wrong, I'll take spellsword over archmage anyday, but reduced spell costs and lots of mana let the archmage have a fairly sustainable pool of mana.

I still disagree. I've always run out of mana long before even finding the boss, usually within just a few rooms. It's not sustainable in the slightest. And I've beaten the game up to +3 on PC and PS3, so it's not like I have a lack of experience with this.

• 4 weeks later...

Heh. Hands down it's the hokage. I enjoy playing as the paladin and barbarian too depending on what I'm trying to do. Just hit level 400+ and I can say with utmost confidence that the barbarian is a great class to use, paladin may be slightly better depending on your play style. Best armor is the slayer set IMHO. It has the best bonuses. Criticals are everything if you're planning on using the paladin or barbarian. Bout to beat the game in NG++ and I'm gonna use one of these three classes... Worst class is spelunkers and archmages. I love this game tho. It really pushes u to the limits. I'm surprised this plat is bout to become un-ultra rare. :D crazy so many of us beat those remixed bosses. Thanatophobia will be my last that or caulrophilia lol

I got the plat using almost exclusively Barbarian King/Queen (especially useful for Thanathobia), so that's the strongest class as far as I'm concerned.  The crappiest class gotta be Mage, and I'm talking strictly from trophy point of view.  I'm sure all classes are good once you reach a high level, but if you want the plat fast, Barbarian King is the way to go.

The reason Barbarian King is so great is because of his crazy amount of health and the fact that finding food restores a lot of it as well.  That means you don't need to play a 100% perfect game, because you can afford to get hit.  Also - his shout ability is great for enemies that shoot missles that are very hard to dodge otherwise (like Fountain's knives at the very end, or Ponce de Freon type of boss, not to mention some of the minibosses).

The reason Barbarian King is so great is because of his crazy amount of health and the fact that finding food restores a lot of it as well.  That means you don't need to play a 100% perfect game, because you can afford to get hit.  Also - his shout ability is great for enemies that shoot missles that are very hard to dodge otherwise (like Fountain's knives at the very end, or Ponce de Freon type of boss, not to mention some of the minibosses).

Yeah, my Thanatophobia run taught me to respect Barbarian King a little more than I had previously.  It's really easy to have a large pool of HP with the small window allowed by Thanatophobia.  I'd still take Paladin or Hokage over him though.

• 4 months later...

I agree with the idea that it depends on your playstile.

I prefer to use the barbarian and hokage. The first cause his HP, and it allows you to take a lot of hits, and the hokage cause it deals a lot of DMG. 

Im no good using magic, so I dont like magician classes. 

• 1 year later...