National Football League 2014 Thread

cmgravekeeper

So, if I'm guessing based off the way things have been going this season for the entire league then the Pats should blow out the Bengals tonight right?  Pats looked like flaming shit last week and Cinci is the lone undefeated team so the Bengals lose by 20+ tonight right?

Edit:  nailed it :giggle:

Edited by skidmarkgn

The Colts game today was embarrassing to watch.  Both teams combined making seven turnovers plus the Colts having an awful time in the red zone :(.  At least the Colts won and are on top of the AFC South (or at least what is left of it).

Edited by Starrk_01

The way I figure it, it's 11 days until Rex Ryan gets fired.  To me that's a shame, because the guy I'd fire is the General Manager: out of a cannon, pointed somewhere in the general vicinity of Greenland.  Maybe I'd strap the Owner to him as well.

After nearly 35 years of Jets fandom, I'm numb to what's happening now because I've seen this story too many times before.

The Colts game today was embarrassing to watch.  Both teams combined making seven turnovers plus the Colts having an awful time in the red zone :(.  At least the Colts won and are on top of the AFC South (or at least what is left of it).

The Colts are the AFC South :blink: That division is almost what the NFC West was 4 or 5 years ago, the only difference is that the top team is actually capable of winning 10+ games (although it doesn't hurt that they get 5-6 gimmies every season).  The way the AFC is going I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Colts and Chargers ruling that conference in a few years much like the Pats and Broncos do now.

• Like 1

The Colts are the AFC South :blink: That division is almost what the NFC West was 4 or 5 years ago, the only difference is that the top team is actually capable of winning 10+ games (although it doesn't hurt that they get 5-6 gimmies every season).  The way the AFC is going I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Colts and Chargers ruling that conference in a few years much like the Pats and Broncos do now.

I think you are forgetting that the Texans were the Division champs 2 years ago and are looking pretty good so far this year.  There were a ton of factors that lead to last years embarrassment, and many of those have been addressed..  Yeah they're not playing perfectly, what with a 90% new coaching staff and an entirely new system, but our defense and our running game are looking solid.  I'm just tired of them having a "good enough" quarterback.  Fitzpatrick isn't going to win us the super bowl, but with the way things are going he might be good enough to hold us together for the playoffs.

I think you are forgetting that the Texans were the Division champs 2 years ago and are looking pretty good so far this year.  There were a ton of factors that lead to last years embarrassment, and many of those have been addressed..  Yeah they're not playing perfectly, what with a 90% new coaching staff and an entirely new system, but our defense and our running game are looking solid.  I'm just tired of them having a "good enough" quarterback.  Fitzpatrick isn't going to win us the super bowl, but with the way things are going he might be good enough to hold us together for the playoffs.

You'll notice that earlier in this thread I chose Houston as the one (at the time) undefeated team that looked legit.  I'm not completely discounting them but I don't see them being a threat to the Colts any time soon.  As you said, they're good enough but until their offense gets a big jump that seems about as good as their gonna get.

Monday night game is about to start.

Seattle's O-line is iffy and Washington has a lot of sacks, but, the majority of them were against Jacksonville so it's a bit misleading.  Washington has an awesome running back but Seattle's good against the run.  Washington's inexperienced quarterback has to throw against the legion, who has looked mortal early in the season, but, that was against Rodgers, Rivers, and P. Manning back to back to back.

I see no way for the Redskins to take this one.  Gonna say Seattle wins by 17.

Edit:  I don't know what jeff Triplet's problem with Harvin is but this is getting ridiculous.

Edited by skidmarkgn

All those Harvin disallowed TD's on Monday Night= :lol:

My Week 6 Tips

Texans over Colts

Patriots over Bills

Bengals over Panthers

Steelers over Browns

Broncos over Jets

Lions over Vikings

Packers over Dolphins

Titans over Jags

Ravens over Bucs

Chargers over Raiders

Falcons over Bears

My Cowboys over Seahawks

Cardinals over Redskins

Eagles over Giants 

Rams over 49ers

Edited by Jarethgeason

All those Harvin disallowed TD's on Monday Night= :lol:

My Week 6 Tips

Texans over Colts

Patriots over Bills

Bengals over Panthers

Steelers over Browns

Broncos over Jets

Lions over Vikings

Packers over Dolphins

Titans over Jags

Ravens over Bucs

Chargers over Raiders

Falcons over Bears

My Cowboys over Seahawks

Cardinals over Redskins

Eagles over Giants 

Rams over 49ers

Cowboys over the Seahawks at home and the Rams over the 9ers?  I'm curious about the reasoning behind those 2 picks. 

The Cowboys have been doing well so far but putting them over Seattle at Seattle is a bold call.  The Cowboys newly found run game has helped them out tremendously but Seattle is a tough team to run against, just ask Eddie Lacey and Alfred Morris.  If that Cowboy run game gets shut down then that puts the weight on Romo's shoulders and we all know what that means *cough* 49ers game *cough*.

As for the Rams over the 9ers... before the season started I could have seen that but right now, it just looks impossible.  The only thing the Rams have to lean on is their front line and the pressure they can generate, which is non-existent right now.  Being a Seattle fan nothing would be sweeter that seeing St. Louis take care of the 9ers and hand them a division loss but even with all the chaos surrounding San Francisco they're still a better team than the Rams.

If you get those 2 picks right, I'll tip my cap to you for sure.

Edited by skidmarkgn

Well Colts lead 24-0 and almost, JJ Watt another td just such an amazing player and TY Hiltons huge night just massive

Sucked in good work on giving him justice  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11669862/police-catch-alleged-laser-culprit-detroit-lions-game

P.S Will the Jets Score this week :giggle:

d2980b90be94f4aa185e868a31a38fb6.gif

Note to Texans and other NFL Teams Never play that Coverage EVER. 

P.S smart play by Pat McAfee 

Edited by Jarethgeason

Well Jareth, if Seattle keeps playing like a f@#kin' joke through the 2nd half it's looking like I'm gonna owe you at least half of a hat tip.  Seahawks offensive line (aka: the penalty patrol) has been single-handidly sinking this team.  Now that the defense is losing corner after corner, hasn't been able to stop, (or convert on offense) a 3rd down all season and are dropping interceptions left and right I'm wondering how the season is gonna go.  If nothing changes, not well.

Yup.  You can't win games if you can't stop 3rd down.  3rd and 14, converted.  3rd and 10, converted.  3rd and 20!!  Converted.  Seattle's defense was the one thing saving them from the dumpster fire that was their offensive line last year.  If the defense can't perform, especially with the brutal back half of the schedule they have to endure, it's gonna be a rough year.  The 9ers are finding ways to win games right now (where was this Dallas team in week 1!?!) while half their team seems to be missing.  If Seattle can't open a gap in the division before San Fran gets their players back then the Cards and 9ers will probably be battling for 1st and 2nd in the west while Seattle wonders what the fuck happened.

And, AND quit trying to be so damn cute Bevell.  Wilson is a QB not a RB, Harvin is a receiver, not a RB, and Lynch is a RB not a receiver.  Give Lynch the ball and let Harvin run down the field and actually receive.  Although, it wouldn't matter much anyways because Wilson's pass protection is a disgrace.

Finally, congrats Cowboys fans.  The last few years have had to have been rough and it's looking like one of the best teams in the NFC (possibly the NFL) this year has a star on their helmet.  Still pissed off at you guys for choosing the 49ers to be the one game to decide to puke all over yourself though  :shakefist:

Edited by skidmarkgn

My Week 7 Tips 

Patriots over Jets

Ravens over Falcons

Bills over Vikings

Bears over Dolphins

Browns over Jags

Saints over Lions

Packers over Panthers

Titans over Redskins

Seahawks over Rams

Chargers over Chiefs

My Cowboys over Giants

Cardinals over Raiders

Broncos over 49ers

Steelers over Texans

Win or lose, the Jets seem to always bring their A-game against the Pats.  Would have like to see them pull off a win but at least there was FINALLY an entertaining Thursday night game.

And the following day it's announced that Percy Harvin is going to the Jets.  No idea what's going on in Seattle but, maybe Bevell will start some Seattle football gameplanning now.  Paul Richardson could be a suitable replacement over time and a ton of cap-space will open up with Harvin gone but still, who's gonna return kick-offs now.

Edited by skidmarkgn

ok so after the awesome Thursday Night Game that ended in blocked FG.

The Jets get Harvin from the Seahawks for a conditional 2015 draft pick, huge pick up for the Jets, should help them get some more wins but if only they could have got him a couple weeks earlier, Whilst for Seattle a weapon is gone, how big of a loss will this be for Seattle??

The Percy Harvin trade has two major points to consider:

• Seattle gets some cap space to spend on Russell Wilson, because we all know that Wilson is going to get a gonzo extension and his cap figure will go from ~$1 million to ~$15-20 million.  Someone (or more than one someone) was going to have to be gotten rid of to keep the team cap compliant, and this way Seattle gets a little something back for their investment.  It still wasn't a good trade for the 'Hawks -- either this one or what they gave Minnesota for him -- but it's better than nothing.
  • The Jets are trying to re-capture the magic of the early days of Santonio Holmes.  I can only hope that Jets Management has their eyes wide open and recognize when Harvin's off-the-field antics start to outweigh anything he's producing between the sidelines and take the necessary actions.

As for this thought that the Jets made this trade too late, hogwash.  The two biggest reasons the Jets are on a six-game losing streak is because their defense hasn't been able to stop the good QBs they've seen in that span and because Geno Smith has way too many negative plays (sacks and interceptions/fumbles and throwing checkdowns on 3rd-and-14) for any reasonable fan to tolerate.  And neither of these issues are fixable this season, probably by the GM's design so that he can scapegoat Rex Ryan for the mess.

ok so after the awesome Thursday Night Game that ended in blocked FG.

The Jets get Harvin from the Seahawks for a conditional 2015 draft pick, huge pick up for the Jets, should help them get some more wins but if only they could have got him a couple weeks earlier, Whilst for Seattle a weapon is gone, how big of a loss will this be for Seattle??

Local talk around here is Washington is full of "it sucks because of __________ but it's good because of ___________".  Harvin is a dynamic player, but he hasn't really produced much for the Hawks kind of talk.  It's sounding like the Cowboys game was the straw that broke the camels back.  There's been a lot of reports that he apparently refused to go in towards the end of the game, which was why we all saw Walters out there receiving passes instead of the 'ferrari".

The positives with the trade:

-Hopefully the Seahawks will go back to the formula that won them the big one (which they pretty much did without him on the field) instead of constantly trying to force the ball to Harvin.

-Like Acasser said, cap space is opened and guys like K.J. Wright and Malcom Smith can be extended.  I'm pretty sure they already had the Wilson money on deck and ready to go but it was going to be at the cost of some serious depth.

-Some of the players that may have become "fat and sassy" have been shown that no one is above the team.  If there was a player who everyone thought was a permanent roster spot it'd be Harvin.  Well, he didn't work out so he's gone.  Makes "why not us" take on a whole new meaning.

-Baldwin can come back into the slot where he's at his best and guys like Norwood and, to a lesser extent, Richardson can step up and prove themselves.

So, to answer your question, I personally don't think it's a huge blow to the team.  Yeah, it sucks, but they got to the superbowl once already with him riding the bench all season so we know it can be done.  Right now the biggest concern for the Hawks is the injuries upon injuries on defense and the O-line's failure to pass protect.  Oh yeah, figuring out how to stop someone on 3rd down couldn't hurt either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Seattle's O-line is at it again.  3 sacks in 5 plays allowed to a team that had 2 all season before this.  The O-line excels at 2 things, sucking and failing.  Gonna be a loooooooooooooooong season.  Wait, no it isn't :giggle:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one way officiating is absurd.  Seahawks have had 4 TD's taken away from them in 3 games with ONE of them being a legit call.  It's too much.  Seattle's offense is iffy with the O-line, the defense has been blowing late game stops, now special teams found a way to lose a game, and to top it all off the officials are screwing the Hawks left and right.  Just too much.

Edited by skidmarkgn

This has absolutely nothing to do with the play between the sidelines.... but I thought I'd share it anyhow:

Every time I see the Budweiser "Make a plan to make it home. Your friends are counting on you." commercial, a tear comes to my eye.  I used to co-habitate with a yellow lab myself (she passed away about two and a half years ago from health complications related to old age) and I could totally see her in that commercial doing all of the exact same things.  It's uncanny.

Thanks for indulging my random maunderings.

My Week 8 Tips

Broncos over Chargers

Falcons over Lions

Jets over Bills

Patriots over Bears

Bengals over Ravens

Texans over Titans

Chiefs over Rams

Dolphins over Jags

Vikings over Bucs

Panthers over Seahawks

Cardinals over Eagles 

Browns over Raiders

Steelers over Colts

Saints over Packers

My Cowboys over Redskins 

San Diego fans must be pissed right now.  Denver going into the half 14-7 because of that garbage no fumble call.  It baffles me how they can blow a call like that on such a consistent basis.  If they had to make the call right there on the field and run with it, sure, but when there's an automatic video review and they still get it wrong, amazing.

What a great game in London thx to the Lions coming from 21-0 down at halftime, But imo that delay of game call was wrong, the one that was called is exactly the same as ones the officials allow to let go, feel so bad for the Falcons losing on a call that imo wasn't there.

Also this from ESPN NFL Officials typically get teams that extra half-second or so. Not this time, and it helped the Lions

One week the Colts are the hottest team in the AFC, shutting out the Bengals, the next week they're allowing 50+ points to the Steelers.  Seattle beats the Broncos, who crush the 9ers, who crush the Rams, who beat Seattle.  The Lions are coming back from 20+ down instead of blowing 20+ point leads.  The NFC South doesn't have a team above .500 in week 8.  The NFC West is looking like a race to 10 wins to take the division when last year that wasn't even enough to get into the playoffs.  The list of the bizarre just keeps on going.

What a crazy year.

My Week 9 Tips

Saints over Panthers

Bengals over Jags

Browns over Bucs

My Cowboys over Cardinals

Chiefs over Jets

Dolphins over Chargers

Redskins over Vikings

Eagles over Texans

49ers over Rams

Patriots over Broncos