National Football League 2014 Thread

cmgravekeeper

I feel very fortunate to have been born into a family who likes the Patriots. I didn't even have to suffer through their shitty years like my father did.

I honestly do feel bad for Jets fans. It's just so hard for them to find a decent quarterback. There was Chad Pennington but he would get injured from a gust of wind.

Try being a Browns fan. 

It's your fault for picking a team and a city that God hates.  Although year after year of inept management on a New York Jets level helps.

Simply as a fascinated voyeur, I'm curious to see what the Browns will trade for the 22nd overall pick in 2017 and which quarterback they'll draft with said pick.

I would say the NFC South doesn't deserve a playoff team and that it should go to a more deserving team like the Eagles, but with the way they have been playing, it might as well be the Falcons or Panthers. 

At least my Steelers are back in the playoffs!!

I would say the NFC South doesn't deserve a playoff team and that it should go to a more deserving team like the Eagles, but with the way they have been playing, it might as well be the Falcons or Panthers. 

At least my Steelers are back in the playoffs!!

Remember when people said that about 7-9 Seattle and then they beat the Saints.

IMO keep it how it is, if you division is bad and the team that wins it is less then 500 who cares because anything can happen in the playoffs. And the Eagles were 9-3 so it's there own fault they not going to be in the playoffs and i'm not just saying that since i a Cowboys fan

Remember when people said that about 7-9 Seattle and then they beat the Saints.

IMO keep it how it is, if you division is bad and the team that wins it is less then 500 who cares because anything can happen in the playoffs. And the Eagles were 9-3 so it's there own fault they not going to be in the playoffs and i'm not just saying that since i a Cowboys fan

Winning the division should be rewarded with a guaranteed playoff game, seeding on the other hand should go strictly by record.  Seattle had no business hosting the Saints in the 2010 season, Green Bay had no business hosting the 9ers last year and the NFC South winner has no business hosting a game this year.  Seems like a reasonable fix to avoid giving garbage teams an advantage in those wonky circumstances.

My Week 17 Tips

Patriots over Bills

Bears over Vikings

Ravens over Browns

My Cowboys over Redskins

Colts over Titans

Chiefs over Chargers

Dolphins over Jets

Saints over Bucs

Eagles over Giants

Texans over Jags

Falcons over Panthers

Broncos over Raiders

Packers over Lions

Seahawks over Rams

49ers over Cardinals

Steelers over Bengals 

Alright Acasser, last year you and I discussed the place in history Seattle's defense deserved.  If I remember correctly, we agreed on judging it according to the '12, '13, and '14 seasons (as opposed to the '11-'13 seasons).  The '14 season is done and they managed to (I'm assuming) finish 1st in scoring for the 3rd year straight and only allowed 39 points total in their last 6 games.  Your thoughts?  

Being the biased Seattle fan I am I can see no argument for them not to be at least considered for "best of all time".  They've held the "greatest offense ever" to 8 points in the superbowl, they've gone undefeated against Rodgers (twice), Brady, Peyton (twice), Brees (twice), they've finished 1st in scoring 3 years in a row and had the clean sweep in '13.  The most impressive thing about this streak to me is the timing.  They're doing it in a day and age where offense and parity rule the league.  Defenses seem to get their hands tied tighter and tighter each year yet they still shut teams down time and again.

Alright Acasser, last year you and I discussed the place in history Seattle's defense deserved.  If I remember correctly, we agreed on judging it according to the '12, '13, and '14 seasons (as opposed to the '11-'13 seasons).  The '14 season is done and they managed to (I'm assuming) finish 1st in scoring for the 3rd year straight and only allowed 39 points total in their last 6 games.  Your thoughts?

You make a very compelling argument to anoint them as the "Best of All Time".  They absolutely belong in that discussion in a prominent spot.... and there won't be any doubt if they win another Super Bowl this year.

I'm a little skeptical using the whole Points Allowed argument for this season in light of some of those offenses they played.  Not to take away from what they've done, especially the last six weeks -- five games where they held their opponents to single digits among them -- but they've faced some pretty putrid offenses and QBs when compounding those recent numbers.  It's not their fault, because they can only play the teams the schedule-maker puts in front of them.... but I'd expect most good defenses to hold Colin Kaepernick (twice), Ryan Lindley, Drew Stanton, Mark Sanchez, and Shaun Hill to seven points per game.  It's a QB-driven League, after all, and it's very hard to have any significant success if you don't have a good signal-caller.

They're in the argument.  Let's see if they can maintain their resume against stiffer competition now that it's arrived.  Although if they get Ryan Lindley again in the Divisional Round, I'd be disappointed if they DIDN'T hold him to six points or less.

Well Black Monday Has come and 3 Coaches got sacked 

Atlanta's Mike Smith

Jets Rex Ryan 

Bears Marc Trestman

and Jim Harbaugh went yesterday and looks like he is going to be Michigan coach.

So Will any of these guys fired get another head job again?, and is there anyone else who will get fired?

P.S Did the Bucs tank yesterday up in 4th 20-7? also 0 home wins for Bucs :facepalm:

and last thing to come today was Kyle Orton retired after having a solid season for the Bills and getting them a 9-7 Record

Someone needs to help the Detroit Free Prees with which Harbaugh is which after this on the front page

Detroit_Free_Press_John_Harbaugh_Michiga

Well Black Monday Has come and 3 Coaches got sacked 

Atlanta's Mike Smith

Jets Rex Ryan 

Bears Marc Trestman

and Jim Harbaugh went yesterday and looks like he is going to be Michigan coach.

So Will any of these guys fired get another head job again?, and is there anyone else who will get fired?

P.S Did the Bucs tank yesterday up in 4th 20-7? also 0 home wins for Bucs :facepalm:

and last thing to come today was Kyle Orton retired after having a solid season for the Bills and getting them a 9-7 Record

Someone needs to help the Detroit Free Prees with which Harbaugh is which after this on the front page

Detroit_Free_Press_John_Harbaugh_Michiga

Don't think it'll happen this year but Jeff Fisher has to be on the hot seat.  Rams have had far too many top draft picks (especially after completely raping the Redskins in the Griffin deal) to be going backwards.  

Rex Ryan will get another job.  It might not be this year, but it will be in the not-too-distant future unless he falls in love with television (and vice versa).  He's a brilliant defensive mind and his players love him and those are two commodities in short supply in the NFL.

Don't think it'll happen this year but Jeff Fisher has to be on the hot seat.  Rams have had far too many top draft picks (especially after completely raping the Redskins in the Griffin deal) to be going backwards.  

It's amazing how long Jeff Fisher has lasted with his coaching history.  Part of his current problems are tied to his division -- I have a little sympathy for him given he's going up against Seattle and San Francisco (and Arizona).  Part of his problems are tied to the Quarterback position because Sam Bradford simply can't stay healthy and there isn't very much in the way of quality replacements available these days.

The clock is undoubtedly ticking on him, but I'd like to see what happens if he can get a competent signal-caller to work with.  I think he'd probably be okay if that were to happen.

Rex Ryan will get another job.  It might not be this year, but it will be in the not-too-distant future unless he falls in love with television (and vice versa).  He's a brilliant defensive mind and his players love him and those are two commodities in short supply in the NFL.

It's amazing how long Jeff Fisher has lasted with his coaching history.  Part of his current problems are tied to his division -- I have a little sympathy for him given he's going up against Seattle and San Francisco (and Arizona).  Part of his problems are tied to the Quarterback position because Sam Bradford simply can't stay healthy and there isn't very much in the way of quality replacements available these days.

The clock is undoubtedly ticking on him, but I'd like to see what happens if he can get a competent signal-caller to work with.  I think he'd probably be okay if that were to happen

I've heard Dan Quinn has already interviewed with the Jets, Falcons and 9ers for a head coach job.  I know it's a dream at best but would LOVE to see what Rex could do with the legion at his disposal.

Cincinnati could have had both A.J. Green and Jermaine Gresham available and it wouldn't have mattered.  They're a flawed team -- subpar quarterback (in games that count) and an inept coach -- that hasn't won a playoff game in 24 years.  And it shouldn't have come as a surprise given how Cincy got curb-stomped by Indianapolis earlier in the season.  Maybe they can win a playoff game with Andy Dalton one of these years, but they're not going to win so long as Marvin Lewis is their head coach.  He's lost six playoff games in the last nine years, and only one of them wasn't a double-digit loss.

I think Indy beats Denver next weekend.  My personal rule-of-thumb when picking playoff games is to predict one upset in each of the first two rounds -- homefield means an awful lot through the Divisional Round -- and I think Denver is the one.  I like them, I'm pulling for them (and the Cowboys on account of my brother-in-law), but my gut feeling says something is wrong with that team and they're going to botch this.

P.S.:  Matthew Stafford is now 0-17 in road games against teams that finish a season with a winning record for his career.  Somehow, I'm not too surprised that Detroit blew this one, and they're in trouble going forward because they probably can't afford to keep Suh for next season.

Cowboys/Lions game is forever going to have an asterisk by it on account of that flag that was picked up.  I've complained about bad officiating for years but I've never thought a "fix" was in... until now.  I can't wait to see what the explanation is for picking up that flag.  Especially since one wasn't given at all on the field.

Cowboys/Lions game is forever going to have an asterisk by it on account of that flag that was picked up.  I've complained about bad officiating for years but I've never thought a "fix" was in... until now.  I can't wait to see what the explanation is for picking up that flag.  Especially since one wasn't given at all on the field.

That Flag getting picked up was a horrible decision and I'm a Cowboys fan,

P.S which of these teams Chiefs, Bengals, Lions will be the first to finally end there long playoff win drought

There was no fix. If anything, there was illegal hands to the face by Pettigrew preventing Hitchens from turning his head. But there was no contact from Hitchens. So there are only two correct calls there: a no call (which ended up happening), or call penalties on both, which would then offset, and Detroit replays the down.

The ball was severely underthrown anyway. The flag came from a ref 50 yards downfield who didn't have a good angle on the play. He head linesman who was right near the play said it wasn't a foul. They should have discussed it before Morelli announced it, and then announced that there was no foul. Instead, doing it the way they did does seem a bit weird, especially since they gave no explanation in game. That was more of an issue than them picking up the flag. I had no problems with them throwing it, but when I saw the replay, I also saw no issue with them picking it up.