National Football League 2014 Thread

cmgravekeeper

Cowboys/Lions game is forever going to have an asterisk by it on account of that flag that was picked up.  I've complained about bad officiating for years but I've never thought a "fix" was in... until now.  I can't wait to see what the explanation is for picking up that flag.  Especially since one wasn't given at all on the field.

When I watched that play in real-time, I didn't like the call for Pass Interference.  It's certainly a borderline case, and the defender didn't help himself because he never turned back to find the ball.... but I have no problems with the non-call given how much of an officiating edge the offense has to begin with.

I also turned off the television at that point to take a shower and had no clue the flag was picked up.  I'm not 100% surprised, either.... I recall turning off the infamous Pats/Raiders playoff game more than a decade ago after Charles Woodson recovered a Tom Brady fumble on account that I thought it was "Game Over" and the Raiders could kneel out the clock, only to turn the TV back on sometime later to see the Patriots kicking a Game Winning Field Goal in OT.  (and promptly asking an empty house "wtf?")

Part of the problem that will never get discussed regarding that situation and some other funny calls this weekend:  The NFL gives playoff games to the best officials based on individual grades instead of squads of officials.  So you get a bunch of zebras who haven't worked with one another all season suddenly thrown together for an important game and that screws things up.  Some of these officials are used to working with certain guys all along and suddenly you've got someone completely different to adapt to in a short span of time and with the stakes being what they are.

But the NFL officiating situation has been fucked up for years.  Why should that change now?

So Rex Ryan to the Bills, never saw that coming.

Also Please NFL fix the Calvin Johnson Rule and not just because i a Cowboys fan, i have hated it since the first time it happened

P.S anyone think Peyton has played his last NFL game?

6-21 on throws over 5 yards. GG Peyton "Noodle Arm" Manning. Don't let the door hit you in your massive forehead on the way out.

Love it

I'm a patriots fan and I think they'll beat the colts but then lose to whoever makes the superbowl from the nfc.They dominated midseason but have tailed off towards the end of the year

I just have a gut feeling that Seattle is going to fall to Green Bay.  I don't get the same impression when I look at things entirely analytically, but it's just one of those hunches.

New England is going to smack Indianapolis down.  They're the better team, and I believe that the Football Gods are simply setting the Patriots up for another Stomach Punch of Karma by having them cough up another Super Bowl.  It's my opinion that the Pats are cursed and won't win a title until they come completely clean about SpyGate and apologize for it.

As for Peyton Manning?  We've always known that he's a different QB in cold weather and against playoff-caliber defenses.  Him playing hurt didn't help the situation, either.  I honestly don't know whether he'll step away from the game or not.... he strikes me as the sort of guy who won't just hang around to collect a paycheck as a shell of himself, but I expect he'll take his time and see how he feels in a few months -- and perhaps to see what happens to the rest of that offense in Free Agency -- before making his final call.

I just have a gut feeling that Seattle is going to fall to Green Bay.  I don't get the same impression when I look at things entirely analytically, but it's just one of those hunches.

New England is going to smack Indianapolis down.  They're the better team, and I believe that the Football Gods are simply setting the Patriots up for another Stomach Punch of Karma by having them cough up another Super Bowl.  It's my opinion that the Pats are cursed and won't win a title until they come completely clean about SpyGate and apologize for it.

As for Peyton Manning?  We've always known that he's a different QB in cold weather and against playoff-caliber defenses.  Him playing hurt didn't help the situation, either.  I honestly don't know whether he'll step away from the game or not.... he strikes me as the sort of guy who won't just hang around to collect a paycheck as a shell of himself, but I expect he'll take his time and see how he feels in a few months -- and perhaps to see what happens to the rest of that offense in Free Agency -- before making his final call.

No guarantees he'll get that long to make a decision.  They have to pay him 19 million dollars if he's still on the team in march right?  Maybe Elway will make the call for him as a cap decision.  Especially since their "championship or bust" mentality kinda busted.

Edited by skidmarkgn

No guarantees he'll get that long to make a decision.  They have to pay him 19 million dollars if he's still on the team in march right?  Maybe Elway will make the call for him as a cap decision.  Especially since their "championship or bust" mentality kinda busted.

I suspect Manning will probably know which way he's leaning by then.  If there's still uncertainty, I would expect Elway and Manning to "re-negotiate" his contract as to push back the "due date" on that money and give each side more time.

Quarterbacks seldom become cap casualties because of the difficulty in finding and replacing them.  Quarterbacks the caliber of Peyton Manning are even more unlikely to become cap casualties.  There are plenty of other spots for Denver to save money if that's what they want to do.

Well... the game could be going worse.  I don't know how but I'm sure there's a way.  Seattle's offense is choosing a bad day to play like this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning of overtime and all I can say is, win or lose, what an amazing game.  If Green Bay finishes what they started and goes to the superbowl I can promise the vast majority of the northwest will be cheering them on.

Edited by skidmarkgn

The inevitable "I hope both teams lose" talk is starting around the web and the main reason I see for it is both teams are "dirty".  This made me curious, why does Clay Matthews get a pass from everyone?  That dude was head hunting Wilson pretty bad during the championship and I've seen him deliver plenty of blatant late shots to QB's (ask Dallas or San Fran about those) yet no one bats an eye.  Don't get me wrong, I like Green Bay.  Rodgers, Cobb, Nelson, Lacey, McCarthy, etc. etc. are all good guys and there's nothing at all hate-able about Green Bay but they're not exactly squeaky clean either.

Edited by skidmarkgn

The inevitable "I hope both teams lose" talk is starting around the web and the main reason I see for it is both teams are "dirty".  This made me curious, why does Clay Matthews get a pass from everyone?  That dude was head hunting Wilson pretty bad during the championship and I've seen him deliver plenty of blatant late shots to QB's (ask Dallas or San Fran about those) yet no one bats an eye.  Don't get me wrong, I like Green Bay.  Rodgers, Cobb, Nelson, Lacey, McCarthy, etc. etc. are all good guys and there's nothing at all hate-able about Green Bay but they're not exactly squeaky clean either.

Well remember the Redskins @ Eagles game early in the season Foles got late hit by Redskins player clearly should have been fined and stuff and all that he got from it was a flag in the game, sometimes players should be getting flagged like Mathews and aren't in games, whilst other times they get flagged for late hits which are very barely late.

Also Broncos hire Gary Kubiak as next coach, his first priority is finding out if Manning is gonna play next season or retire 

Packers let an easy win go.... that was horrible... i have no interest in the super bowl whatsoever now... can game instead

My feelings exactly, this will be the first time in a long while that  I won't be watching the Superbowl :( . Good thing I have a massive backlog of games to keep me occupied B)

The inevitable "I hope both teams lose" talk is starting around the web and the main reason I see for it is both teams are "dirty"..

Eh, I'm somewhat a member of the "a pox on both their houses" camp myself.... but at least it's easier for me to pick one team to root FOR this time around.  I loathe the Patriots, but I was advocating on their behalf each of the last two times they made the Super Bowl because I detest the Giants even more and I'd think about rooting for terrorists before I cheer for the Giants.

The Patriots are absolutely a bunch of cheaters in my book.  It's not the ridiculous "deflated football" crap, because I don't give a rat's ass about that and I don't believe it really has any significant impact on the game.  It's still the whole SpyGate stuff.

I hope for an entertaining game.  I hope that Seattle rallies from three touchdowns down in the fourth quarter to stun the Patriots with a Hail Mary on the last play of the 4th quarter followed by a two-point conversion to win the game in regulation.  And I hope that the Fashion Police follow that by promtply arresting Bill Belichik for crimes against clothing -- namely that ubiqtuous hoodie -- and throw him in a dark hole never to be found again.

• Like 1

Well remember the Redskins @ Eagles game early in the season Foles got late hit by Redskins player clearly should have been fined and stuff and all that he got from it was a flag in the game, sometimes players should be getting flagged like Mathews and aren't in games, whilst other times they get flagged for late hits which are very barely late.

Also Broncos hire Gary Kubiak as next coach, his first priority is finding out if Manning is gonna play next season or retire 

I get that flags and fines have no consistency, I'm talking about the fans though.

I would have guessed that you, as a Cowboys fan, would be all over Matthews and the cheap shot he took at Romo's knee in the divisional round but... nothing, which is a common theme and that confuses me.  I personally  wouldn't go as far as calling Matthews a "dirty" player yet,  I think his intensity tends to cause him to not back off, even when he obviously should, but he's really, really close to crossing that line (in my opinion) and I never hear anything.  If it was a one time thing I'd get it but, again, it isn't.  He's a bit of a repeat offender.  On top of it all, he badmouthed Suh for being dirty (which no one's going to argue with) then went into the Cowboys game and did what he did, still, everyone stays quiet.  I'm curious why.