PSASBR is SO unbalanced!

Ok ok, i'll believe what your mum says  :P

But really, as someone said in the september igc post: it gets boring pretty fast. 

Yeah, really fast. I remember when, pre-release, some of my friends said that "Its gonna be better than Super Smash Bros!" in a totally unironic, dead-serious kind of way. BOY WERE THEY WRONG, AMIRIGHT?

While going for the online trophies, I ran into someone with a level 999 Zeus. Let's just say that Zeus by far is the cheapest character of them all, what with the constant teleporting and lightning that would not stop. Even when I ran into him in the final stage of the arcade on Hero difficulty, he played unfair.

• Like 3

While going for the online trophies, I ran into someone with a level 999 Zeus. Let's just say that Zeus by far is the cheapest character of them all, what with the constant teleporting and lightning that would not stop. Even when I ran into him in the final stage of the arcade on Hero difficulty, he played unfair.

Damn, im sorry you had to go through such pain! Good thing my online experience was Zeusless.

I ran into Zeus with Radec on the boss stage and it was complete horror. Everytime I got a good combo going, he'd appear behind me and ruin my combo. After about 10 minutes of wasting Level 1 supers, Zeus, Dante, and Nariko finally left Me alone so I used his sniper to finish him. :devil: But luckily that was the first and only time I encountered him. :D

But I could only imagine facing someone using Zeus online.

Edited by TheLastSurvivorD

1.) Tier lists don't really mean anything - this goes for *any* fighting game, even the ones like All-Stars that aren't *really* fighting games. It simply serves as a means of showing how well characters do, and usually the top of the list is just characters that have a lot of good match-ups against the rest of the cast ( Out of 10 fights against a given character, how many will they win, how many will they lose. Wins:Losses. For instance, a character with, say, 8:2 and 9:1 match-ups against every other character is usually going to be the top of the list, probably even "God-Tier". ).

They especially mean nothing if you don't actually know how to use said character - or if someone knows a lower-tier character better than you do the higher-tier.

Also, I'd like to point out that on the tier-list that was linked, most of the characters being complained about here are mid-tier - which means that if that list were a de facto depiction of how good characters were..it'd signify that you just need to get better at the game.

The other thing to keep in mind about that list is that it's based on 1v1 fights - not FFA or 2v2.

2.) Ranks on characters signify nothing, other than they've put a lot of time in with that character and have unlocked pretty much all they can for them - icons, taunts, music, etc. It's not really a symbol of skill - though they'll likely be pretty good with them. They could also just as easily be good with a character that is only rank 1 - because they know how the game works.

3.) You're dealing with a game that has been out for nearly 2 years. The people you're likely going up against ( Outside of the ones who just got it on Plus, that is ) have been playing for a long time. This is a problem with *any* fighting game when you pick it up well into its life. The community has its main characters that they use by now.

But the big one is this: Expecting balance out of a game that's essentially a Smash Bros. clone - which itself is highly unbalanced - is kind of silly. It's not really a hardcore fighting game, it's about button mashing and pulling off big, screen filling Supers for points.

All fighting games, regardless of their type, are unbalanced. There will always be characters that are better than others. They aren't necessarily intended to be, but they are. That said, you have choices in how to deal with them.

You can:

A.) Get cheap right back and beat them at their own game. Learn and use their own tactics against them.

B.) Practice with your favorite character and get better with them, learning to combat the cheapness. Chances are, you're using a character that has a match-up against them that just isn't in your favor.

C.) Quit.

You also have to realize that FFA is pretty much a luck based fight. Anything can happen, and you can easily be punished for someone else's screw up - or your own screw up can easily give someone else the match. IE: Using Parappa's AP Regen, and then getting knocked away from it by someone close to a Level 3 - and then they wipe everyone out and win.

Edited by Rocket

1.) Tier lists don't really mean anything - this goes for *any* fighting game, even the ones like All-Stars that aren't *really* fighting games. It simply serves as a means of showing how well characters do, and usually the top of the list is just characters that have a lot of good match-ups against the rest of the cast ( Out of 10 fights against a given character, how many will they win, how many will they lose. Wins:Losses. For instance, a character with, say, 8:2 and 9:1 match-ups against every other character is usually going to be the top of the list, probably even "God-Tier". ).

They especially mean nothing if you don't actually know how to use said character - or if someone knows a lower-tier character better than you do the higher-tier.

Also, I'd like to point out that on the tier-list that was linked, most of the characters being complained about here are mid-tier - which means that if that list were a de facto depiction of how good characters were..it'd signify that you just need to get better at the game.

I'm guessing you've never played this game, right? A quick look at your psnprofile determined that i was correct. Unless you know the pain of going up again a Kratos, Dante, Kat, Raiden, Isaac or Zeus then you will never understand.

The thing about characters like Kratos is that you dont have to be good to win with him and no thats not just my opinion, its a fact!

Edited by Sir_Palkia

I am the only one here who thinks that the game is alright as it is, since I am actually able to get out of nearly every combo from Dante, Raiden, Kat, Kratos's spear and Radec's sniper but then again I always play the game with my friends and they use Radec, Nathan Drake, Nariko and Evil Cole so I got used to using my character to avoid many death at their Levels 3 by the way the I only use three characters Toro, Cole and Jak and Daxter (my favorite)

I am the only one here who thinks that the game is alright as it is, since I am actually able to get out of nearly every combo from Dante, Raiden, Kat, Kratos's spear and Radec's sniper but then again I always play the game with my friends and they use Radec, Nathan Drake, Nariko and Evil Cole so I got used to using my character to avoid many death at their Levels 3 by the way the I only use three characters Toro, Cole and Jak and Daxter (my favorite)

You know how to dodge their combos? If only you could have taught me when i needed it! I guess this game is more fun with friends, like any game. Thats probably part of the reason you think its alright

You know how to dodge their combos? If only you could have taught me when i needed it! I guess this game is more fun with friends, like any game. Thats probably part of the reason you think its alright

Don't get me wrong to dodge their combos (Raiden, Nariko and Dante being the hardest ones) still is pretty hard because it depends on the character you are using but once you do it multiple times it becomes second nature and I actually loved the game before I introduced it to my friends but when I showed it to my friends, the game became 100x better for me.

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong to dodge their combos (Raiden, Nariko and Dante being the hardest ones) still is pretty hard because it depends on the character you are using but once you do it multiple times it becomes second nature and I actually loved the game before I introduced it to my friends but when I showed it to my friends, the game became 100x better for me.

Its i shame i dont see the same love you do. I should try convince my friends to play it with me but i swear if any of them even LOOKS at Kratos....

Its i shame i dont see the same love you do. I should try convince my friends to play it with me but i swear if any of them even LOOKS at Kratos....

I understand your frustration with Kratos, in the beginning me and my friends made a game out of it called Allied Forces, the game was my friends Cristian (Dante or Nathan Drake or Nariko), Gabriel (Radec or Dante) and I (Cole or Jak or Toro) would be in the same team and we would set Kratos (or any other overpowered character) at the highest difficulty as our opponent and at first we all got wrecked but over time we learned to beat him and now when we take turns fighting online against other people who use Kratos, Raiden, Radec, Sweet Tooth and Dante, we know exactly what to do.

• Like 1

I'm guessing you've never played this game, right? A quick look at your psnprofile determined that i was correct. Unless you know the pain of going up again a Kratos, Dante, Kat, Raiden, Isaac or Zeus then you will never understand.

The thing about characters like Kratos is that you dont have to be good to win with him and no thats not just my opinion, its a fact!

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1699-PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle-Royale/FAoOHxSniperFox

You were saying? You must not have looked very hard, considering it's literally the 4th game on my list. That, or you were looking at the wrong account somehow.

I never said the game wasn't unbalanced - in fact, I said that *all* fighting games are unbalanced. Again, there are always characters who are just "good", and won't take much actual skill to win with. They've got good tools, good combos, good speed, whatever. But there are also characters that can beat them, if you know what you're doing - it's a matter of learning how.

Or you can give them a taste of their own medicine and do the same thing they do.

I've faced quite a few Kratos', Raidens, Zeus', and Dantes. I main Dante myself. Never met a Kat or an Isaac in my time playing, though - not even in single-player. I've won against some. I've lost against some. My losses I chalk up to still being a bit new to the game.

People used to freak out about Iceman in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 not taking chip damage. Now, no one cares because they know how to deal with him.

Kratos is fast, but he's not impossible. No one is impossible to beat, it just takes practice.

This game was incredibly broken no doubt about it and very unbalanced, not to mention filled with numerous glitches it is a wonder there are people who enjoy this especially considering it clearly didn't get tested online with all those glitches, random booting and just plain old not connecting. My advice is to not play this game even for the very easy 100% it isn't fun or well put together in fact I have typed what was wrong with this game in another thread where people were actually wondering if a sequel would get made...

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1699-PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle-Royale/FAoOHxSniperFox

You were saying? You must not have looked very hard, considering it's literally the 4th game on my list. That, or you were looking at the wrong account somehow.

I never said the game wasn't unbalanced - in fact, I said that *all* fighting games are unbalanced. Again, there are always characters who are just "good", and won't take much actual skill to win with. They've got good tools, good combos, good speed, whatever. But there are also characters that can beat them, if you know what you're doing - it's a matter of learning how.

Or you can give them a taste of their own medicine and do the same thing they do.

I've faced quite a few Kratos', Raidens, Zeus', and Dantes. I main Dante myself. Never met a Kat or an Isaac in my time playing, though - not even in single-player. I've won against some. I've lost against some. My losses I chalk up to still being a bit new to the game.

People used to freak out about Iceman in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 not taking chip damage. Now, no one cares because they know how to deal with him.

Kratos is fast, but he's not impossible. No one is impossible to beat, it just takes practice.

That's a pretty bold statement given Melty Blood, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, Under Night In-Birth and Skullgirls are all pretty well balanced I could name more and by the way I am excluding boss characters like BlazBlue's unlimited forms since they're unusable in ranked matches and can also be disabled in player matches so want to tell me again all fighting games are unbalanced because I doubt you've played all especially Japanese titles.

• Like 1

This game was incredibly broken no doubt about it and very unbalanced, not to mention filled with numerous glitches it is a wonder there are people who enjoy this especially considering it clearly didn't get tested online with all those glitches, random booting and just plain old not connecting. My advice is to not play this game even for the very easy 100% it isn't fun or well put together in fact I have typed what was wrong with this game in another thread where people were actually wondering if a sequel would get made...

That's a pretty bold statement given Melty Blood, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, Under Night In-Birth and Skullgirls are all pretty well balanced I could name more and by the way I am excluding boss characters like BlazBlue's unlimited forms since they're unusable in ranked matches and can also be disabled in player matches so want to tell me again all fighting games are unbalanced because I doubt you've played all especially Japanese titles.

I said they were all unbalanced. Not that they were all heavily unbalanced.

Again - there are always characters that are "better" than others - either because they have better tools, or they're easier to use than others. Even the fighters that are "Easy to learn, difficult to master" have characters that are "user-friendly". There's no such thing as a perfectly balanced game, especially not a fighting game. Some are just more balanced than others.

If they were so well balanced, there would be no tier lists at all. Don't forget that balance isn't just about health and damage output, or combo potential. It also takes into account how easy it is to actually use that character.

"Especially Japanese titles"

Nearly all fighting games are Japanese..so what's your point there?

If you must know, I've played Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, nearly the entire Versus series, starting with X-Men: Children of the Atom - XMvSF, MSHvSF, MvC, CvS, SvC, TvC - Skullgirls, Bloody Roar, Soul Blade/Calibur, Killer Instinct. Other than Guilty Gear, I'm not really into the Arc style fighting games.

I've even played some of the worst around - Rise of the Robots, Pit Fighter.

I've been playing since Super Street Fighter II was new in arcades. I'm not hardcore - not by a long shot - but I've played enough in my time to know what the hell I'm talking about. Even the most balanced fighters have their top tiers that are considered the best in the game. To act like that's not true, just because a handful of the games you play are more balanced than the vast majority out there, is silliness..

I said they were all unbalanced. Not that they were all heavily unbalanced.

Again - there are always characters that are "better" than others - either because they have better tools, or they're easier to use than others. Even the fighters that are "Easy to learn, difficult to master" have characters that are "user-friendly". There's no such thing as a perfectly balanced game, especially not a fighting game. Some are just more balanced than others.

If they were so well balanced, there would be no tier lists at all. Don't forget that balance isn't just about health and damage output, or combo potential. It also takes into account how easy it is to actually use that character.

"Especially Japanese titles"

Nearly all fighting games are Japanese..so what's your point there?

If you must know, I've played Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, nearly the entire Versus series, starting with X-Men: Children of the Atom - XMvSF, MSHvSF, MvC, CvS, SvC, TvC - Skullgirls, Bloody Roar, Soul Blade/Calibur, Killer Instinct. Other than Guilty Gear, I'm not really into the Arc style fighting games.

I've even played some of the worst around - Rise of the Robots, Pit Fighter.

I've been playing since Super Street Fighter II was new in arcades. I'm not hardcore - not by a long shot - but I've played enough in my time to know what the hell I'm talking about. Even the most balanced fighters have their top tiers that are considered the best in the game. To act like that's not true, just because a handful of the games you play are more balanced than the vast majority out there, is silliness..

I'm talking of titles that haven't been localised such as Under Night In-Birth for example granted that will be next year.

Tier lists vary and besides let's look at BlazBlue for an example of balance no character is going to have a distinct advantage against anyone else and if we use the ease of use garbage that means all grapple characters are near the bottom of tier lists despite the fact Tager can pretty much dominate online and then the only other two difficult characters to use are Carl and Hakumen but again Hakumen has huge damage output and health though not as high as Tager and Carl is tricky but can do some very damaging combos despite his low damage output.

Also note I never said perfectly balanced I said they were balanced odds are pretty much equal in the games I stated you'll have the odd character with a slight advantage but you're not going to have it as a glaring one-sided match up and I really don't understand how difficult a character is to learn affecting tiers since if we take that into account the hard to learn Hazama in Continuum Shift is ranked rather highly(A-rank if I recall) so how did that work out according to your statements?

As for the titles you've played I have played some of them and many others and only a few games I'd say are truly unfairly balanced while others are closer to being balanced with the ones I stated above being the closest to a perfect balance as NOTHING will ever be perfect and I stated they were well balanced and nothing more.

Since we're stating what we've played I'll say:

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND, BlazBlue: CHRONOPHANTASMA, Fate/Unlimited Codes, Tekken 1-6, Bloody Roar 1-4, Tekken Tag 1-2, Melty Blood Re;Act, Melty Blood Actress Again, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Mavel Vs Capcom 3, Ultimate Marcel Vs Capcom 3, Dead or Alive 1-5/Ultimate, Guilty Gear, Guilty Gear Accent Core, Skullgirls, Virtua Fighter 2 and 5, Soul Blade - Soul calibur V, Street Fighter 2/2 Turbo HD/IV Arcade Edition, Capcom Vs Snk SVC Chaos, Under Night In-Birth,  Persona 4 Arena, DBZ Budokai/Tenkaichi series, Mortal Kombat(new one), Injustice, AQUAPAZZA, Phantom Breaker, King of Fighters 98/99/2003/XII/XIII, Street Fighter X Tekken, Bleach Heat the Soul Series amongst others.

• Like 3

I understand your frustration with Kratos, in the beginning me and my friends made a game out of it called Allied Forces, the game was my friends Cristian (Dante or Nathan Drake or Nariko), Gabriel (Radec or Dante) and I (Cole or Jak or Toro) would be in the same team and we would set Kratos (or any other overpowered character) at the highest difficulty as our opponent and at first we all got wrecked but over time we learned to beat him and now when we take turns fighting online against other people who use Kratos, Raiden, Radec, Sweet Tooth and Dante, we know exactly what to do.

That's the smartest thing i've heard all day, why didnt i think of that?

This game is not that unbalanced now. Pre-patch it was due to Kratos always being able to grab you across the screen, some characters specials would fill up fast and would last long.

I think the game is way better now than it was before they did manage to fix somethings. I didn't think they will be making a sequel.

Why does it have to be balanced? How would a treasure hunter and a demi-god be at the same skill level? Basically any character is good if you know how to dodge and use moves available correctly.

I hear what your saying and you make a good point but...

Kratos man, that fuckin' guy is just... ugh

I have to agree that Kratos, Donte and Raiden are overused...

But it is sooooo satisfying if you beat those characters and even win the match! Hearing the players rage when they lose against characters like Jak or Sly is music to my ears! :D

The online trophies aren't even that hard. It was either skill (I played the game since release) or I was just lucky to get all online trophies in just 2-3 online matches by just playing casually without even thinking about trophies. :P