J-Rock Fans?

Flying_Foxbat

I'm not the biggest fan of Japanese rock, but I love The GazettE, Dir en Grey, and Girugamesh. I hadn't seen a topic and wondered if anyone else here enjoyed Japanese Rock/Metal and what your favorite Japanese bands and songs are. I've been anticipating the release of Girugamesh's EP which was released earlier today which is another good reason to make this thread.

The Gazette is my favorite band of al time, and this isn't my favorite song by them, but it is definately one of their best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xxmkj7JRcs

Here is a sample of all the songs on the EP from Girugamesh. I have never bought an entire album, I usually pick through the songs on iTunes, but every song here is perfect, I love it!

• Like 2

I used to be into it in high school but i'm only a casual fan now. My favorite jrock artists/bands are Gackt, Hyde, TM Revolution, Abingdon Boys School, and L'arc~en~ciel.

I used to be into gazette but they got really stale after awhile and too political for my taste.

These bands you linked are super over-produced in my opinion, like most Nu-Metal stuff is. But a Japanese metal act that I particularly enjoy are Chthonic. Another rock band... sort of like trance rock or a progressive rock is Boris, really quite good but I find their stuff is somewhat difficult to find.

These bands you linked are super over-produced in my opinion, like most Nu-Metal stuff is. But a Japanese metal act that I particularly enjoy are Chthonic. Another rock band... sort of like trance rock or a progressive rock is Boris, really quite good but I find their stuff is somewhat difficult to find.

Yeah, I like that Japanese Metal, but it really isn't true J-Rock, and is heavily American influenced. That first band I linked has a lot of good classic J-Rock on some of their older albums though.

I used to be a huge fan when I was 12-16. I listened to bands like Dir en grey, the GazettE, PIERROT, Kagerou, Kagrra,, Rentrer en Soi, Girugamesh... Nowadays I listen to pretty much only Dir en grey and the GazettE every once in a while. 

VINUSHKA by Dir en grey is probably one of the greatest songs ever.

• Like 1

My favorite J-Rock band by far is The Abingdon Boys School. They do a lot of openings for anime like D-Gray Man, Darker than Black, and Soul Eater.

All of their songs are fantastic!

Yeah i love that band. The lead singer has a great solo career as TM Revolution.

So is there a major difference between j rock and rock in general expect the language or is there more to it?

I think the only difference is that most jrock i used to listen to always sounded like they were a decade behind american rock. Jrock is okay for what it is, but there will never be any ground breaking music to come from it. Even the bands i love like Abingdon Boys School and L'arc~en~ciel sound like japanese derivatives of western rock bands.

• Like 1

I think the only difference is that most jrock i used to listen to always sounded like they were a decade behind american rock. Jrock is okay for what it is, but there will never be any ground breaking music to come from it. Even the bands i love like Abingdon Boys School and L'arc~en~ciel sound like japanese derivatives of western rock bands.

Thank you for that well informed post. I've always being ignorant about the j and k thing, I never knew that there is a major differences in the two types. Anyway my friend, if J rock or any genres make you happy then I'm all for it. Music is a diversity that should be accepted and not frowned upon. 

Keep on rocking. 

I used to be a huge fan when I was 12-16. I listened to bands like Dir en grey, the GazettE, PIERROT, Kagerou, Kagrra,, Rentrer en Soi, Girugamesh... Nowadays I listen to pretty much only Dir en grey and the GazettE every once in a while. 

VINUSHKA by Dir en grey is probably one of the greatest songs ever.

Wow, very good stuff, I listened to much of that as well when I was about 13 as well. I still love the Gazette even with all the change they have gone through in their style of music and Dir en Grey still puts out some amazing stuff from time to time.

Thank you for that well informed post. I've always being ignorant about the j and k thing, I never knew that there is a major differences in the two types. Anyway my friend, if J rock or any genres make you happy then I'm all for it. Music is a diversity that should be accepted and not frowned upon. 

Keep on rocking. 

Here is an example of true J-Rock, what I posted up at the top is newer Japanese Metal, which has heavy American influence.

Yup for sure...J-Rock is one of the best styles of music available...probably the best if you go for the lyrics but anyway.Its my 2nd favorite type of music.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation

Aqua Timez

Abingdon Boys School

NICO Touches the Walls

DOES

Just to quote some of the best...but its hard to find a band that make bad songs.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I wouldnt say Im a fan of jrock since Im a fan of any good music. 
I only started listening to Japanese music about a year and a half ago (was 19) when I started watching anime and naturally I enjoyed many of the theme and end credit songs. 

So the one band I have the most songs from ( as many of you seem to also like) is Abingdon Boys School.
I liked them when I saw Darker Than Black and eventually I poked around to find some of their songs.
My second Favorite is Galneryus (if im spelling it right) and that started with Rin:Daughters of Mnemosyne which up to this day is one of the most badass intro songs ive heard.

I have about 30 or so songs in Japanese/English which I mostly got from watching shows.

And that makes three languages I listen to music in. Spanish English and Japanese !

If anyone has any suggestions on similar artist then please let me know.

Nothing to hardcore though. An example would be something like the intro song for the second half of death note. Im not at that level of hardcore yet.

Gotta say J-rock is pretty awesome.  I'm into all sorts of J-music but recently I've been crazy about Ling Tosite Sigure, their style is so unique, I'm obsessed!  :lol:

Hey they are the one who did the Psychopass Intro right? That song is crazy awesome ive never heard anything like it!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I wouldnt say Im a fan of jrock since Im a fan of any good music. 

I only started listening to Japanese music about a year and a half ago (was 19) when I started watching anime and naturally I enjoyed many of the theme and end credit songs. 

So the one band I have the most songs from ( as many of you seem to also like) is Abingdon Boys School.

I liked them when I saw Darker Than Black and eventually I poked around to find some of their songs.

My second Favorite is Galneryus (if im spelling it right) and that started with Rin:Daughters of Mnemosyne which up to this day is one of the most badass intro songs ive heard.

I have about 30 or so songs in Japanese/English which I mostly got from watching shows.

And that makes three languages I listen to music in. Spanish English and Japanese !

If anyone has any suggestions on similar artist then please let me know.

Nothing to hardcore though. An example would be something like the intro song for the second half of death note. Im not at that level of hardcore yet.

Hey they are the one who did the Psychopass Intro right? That song is crazy awesome ive never heard anything like it!

I was about to put Galneryus, they are freaking awesome, but you already put the song I was going to choose.

Yousei Teikokku counts, right? I also really liked that one song from Unlimits. I'm not too sure if that counts as J-Rock though, it was called Unlimits.

I think I'll just list the bands I listen to plus my favourite song from each one (Don't have much energy to do much else at the moment)

D - Tightrope

Nightmare - Mad Black Machine

Acid Black Cherry - Jigsaw

the GazettE - tied between Shiver (Black Butler II opening) & Vortex

One OK Rock - Jibun Rock

I'd probably remember more if I was feeling 100%