The MMA Discussion thread

SuffyZorugelion

19 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

I'm not following Rizin but who is this guy? Looking at his stats, he failed to get the Rizin belt, has quite a few losses, always fights at catchweight and most of his wins are by decision. I mean I get the fight with Tenshin Nasukawa as there was/is some real hype about him but this guy seems kind of average?

His name is Floyd Mayweather, up and coming boxer. You may have heard of his father, he also boxed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

I'm not following Rizin but who is this guy? Looking at his stats, he failed to get the Rizin belt, has quite a few losses, always fights at catchweight and most of his wins are by decision. I mean I get the fight with Tenshin Nasukawa as there was/is some real hype about him but this guy seems kind of average?

The japanese guy is an average level fighter (prolly the best there), and he is a famous Youtuber in Japan with 2mi subscribers.

And Mayweather, needless to say.

Edited by MegaMegu__

3 minutes ago, MegaMegu__ said:

The japanese guy is an average level fighter (prolly the best there), and he is a famous Youtuber in Japan with 2mi subscribers.

And Mayweather, needless to say.

I actually only looked at his stats but missed the youtuber part. Then it makes sense of course since fighting youtubers is the current trend. Would have been very weird for Mayweather to fight someone mediocre like that otherwise.

• Like 1

Great fight card last night with tons of TKOs, some trash talk and a bit of drama. The only surprising part was Josh Emmett thinking he's of a high enough caliber to start calling for his chance at a title shot.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MegaMegu__ said:

Watching some RISE and K-1 Japan bouts made me realize how much I miss the old K-1 events.

Their tournaments were crazy shit, packed with legendary fighters.

Me too.  Last one I remember was the one Overeem, on every steroid imaginable, won.  Was pulling for Ghita, but he lost to Saki and thought Saki would kill Overeem, but then Saki dislocated his elbow or shoulder or whatever it was so Overeem got gifted a spot in the finals and took on Aerts who just did the impossible and beat Schilt in a war at 40+ yrs old.  They really were epic touraments and Japan was always much better at promoting the fighters over the brand. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kinnyman said:

Me too.  Last one I remember was the one Overeem, on every steroid imaginable, won.  Was pulling for Ghita, but he lost to Saki and thought Saki would kill Overeem, but then Saki dislocated his elbow or shoulder or whatever it was so Overeem got gifted a spot in the finals and took on Aerts who just did the impossible and beat Schilt in a war at 40+ yrs old.  They really were epic touraments and Japan was always much better at promoting the fighters over the brand. 

Facts. Today promotions don't know how put a epic show like the old japanese promos, and the fights hardly are close battles as the old times.

Kickboxing nowdays will never be like K-1, and the UFC will never be like PRIDE was. Sadly an era is gone.

Ernesto Hoost, Mirko Cro Cop, Francisco Filho, Mike Bernardo, Musashi, LeBanner, Mark Hunt... there are so many names, it's sad to know that we will never see these fighters in a ring again. Time goes on for everyone.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, MegaMegu__ said:

LMAO, Pereira vs Adesanya must happen 

I think you're going to get your wish.  No other fight makes more sense than this one now.  He should steal the old Crocop saying, switched for his punches.  Right hook hospital.  Left hook cemetary. ?    I just rewatched their 2nd GOH fight and seems like there was some bad blood there too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kinnyman said:

I think you're going to get your wish.  No other fight makes more sense than this one now.  He should steal the old Crocop saying, switched for his punches.  Right hook hospital.  Left hook cemetary. 1f602.png    I just rewatched their 2nd GOH fight and seems like there was some bad blood there too.

Pereira got inside Adesanya's mind without saying any shit ?

I'm curious to see how this is going to end.

Alex made Izzy feel the biggest shame of his carrer and he's still insecure about it. Strickland just exposed it to everyone in the press conference.

I think he's apprehensive about a possible confrontation with Pereira.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MegaMegu__ said:

Pereira got inside Adesanya's mind without saying any shit 1f602.png

I'm curious to see how this is going to end.

Alex made Izzy feel the biggest shame of his carrer and he's still insecure about it. Strickland just exposed it to everyone in the press conference.

I think he's apprehensive about a possible confrontation with Pereira.

It makes sense.  0-2 with last loss by KO.  Different rules of course, but doesn't really matter because does Izzy ever wrestle offensively?  Maybe for this fight he'll try?  His biggest advantage of playing the distance game is cancelled since Pereira is just as long, just as skilled, but hits harder.  Yeah he's gotta be nervous thinking about this one.

• Like 1

Israel Adesanya is the most boring active champion outside of WMMA divisions. There, I said it. Leg kicks, feints, counters is his game plan every single time, no variety at all. If his opponent pushes him enough and keeps up it might get fun, otherwise it's a 5 rounds snooze fest. Kind of expected the fight to end up like that because Cannonier isn't really on his level and Adesanya won't take risks and plays it safe. Which is funny because he always promises a spectacular KO and then doesn't deliver. Oh and his Elsa line was pure cringe. Can't wait for Pereira to knock out this fool for the third time.

Volkanovski on the other hand was spectacular. Hope he does better in LW than Adesanya did in LHW.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MegaMegu__ said:

Holy Shit!

It's official, Oliveira vs Makhachev is confirmed at UFC 280!

Hyped for this fight, should be interesting to see how well Islam's wrestling game holds up with Oliveira being such a beast on the ground. I don't think Islam's standup is nearly as good as Oliveira's so we'll have to wait and see. Plus Volk called out the winner, I'd love to see Volk move up and try his luck at double champ status against either one of them honestly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MegaMegu__ said:

Holy Shit!

It's official, Oliveira vs Makhachev is confirmed at UFC 280!

Damn! i want to say Olivera, but i think Makhachev takes it within 3 rounds. 

any update on Jones? thought he was due for a summer return? or is he in more shit again?

i want to see him tested in the heavyweight division. 

Also like to see Shevchenko vs Nunes again, i think Shevchenko would win now and it wouldn't go the distance like the last two fights.

Though Shev struggled on the ground in her last fight which again, ive always said these stars would get beaten by the most unlikely of opponents. Happened to Rousey (not counting Nunez), Joanna Jedrzejczyk, even Nunez lost to Pena though we see that rematch rather quickly, July 30th. Kinda like to see Pena win again but who knows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Damn! i want to say Olivera, but i think Makhachev takes it within 3 rounds. 

any update on Jones? thought he was due for a summer return? or is he in more shit again?

i want to see him tested in the heavyweight division. 

Also like to see Shevchenko vs Nunes again, i think Shevchenko would win now and it wouldn't go the distance like the last two fights.

Though Shev struggled on the ground in her last fight which again, ive always said these stars would get beaten by the most unlikely of opponents. Happened to Rousey (not counting Nunez), Joanna Jedrzejczyk, even Nunez lost to Pena though we see that rematch rather quickly, July 30th. Kinda like to see Pena win again but who knows.

Jones is expecting Stipe to return in September to schedule his next fight,

Miocic probably is his next opponent.

I'm waiting for nunes rematch, I hope she wins, cause pena got too cocky after their first encounter. But i dunno, Amanda lost his peak, left ATT and seems unmotivated.

Let's see what happens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MegaMegu__ said:

Jones is expecting Stipe to return in September to schedule his next fight,

Miocic probably is his next opponent.

I'm waiting for nunes rematch, I hope she wins, cause pena got too cocky after their first encounter. But i dunno, Amanda lost his peak, left ATT and seems unmotivated.

Let's see what happens.

Yeah, I can't stand how cocky she got after the Nunes win. I'd love to see Nunes stop her kinda like she did Rousey, but Pena's stand up is better than Rousey's, although it could still happen. ?

• Like 1

On 21/07/2022 at 6:24 AM, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Best MMA news I've heard this year. I absolutely can not wait for Yan to destroy this clown.

I don't even want to see what a disaster it will be if O'Malley wins, that guy is purely on hype train.

If he win agains Yan, get ready for waves and waves of hysterical fans with GOAT discussion. 

Rooting for Yan here.

On 20/07/2022 at 9:16 AM, ScottishNub said:

Terrible match up we saw nate get dominated for 4 and a half round against leon and khazmat will probably finish nate in the second or third round 

Poor Nate, but he asked for Khamzat and Dana gave him.

Best of luck for Nate.

24 minutes ago, MegaMegu__ said:

I don't even want to see what a disaster it will be if O'Malley wins, that guy is purely on hype train.

If he win agains Yan, get ready for waves and waves of hysterical fans with GOAT discussion. 

Rooting for Yan here.

I think it's pretty much out of the question unless Yan slips on a banana peel or something. Sugar Clown had his UFC debut before Yan and so far only crushed cans, broke his leg in the ring twice, failed to even accept a loss and barely broke into top 15 after 4 yours. Whatever hype I had for him is long gone. Meanwhile, Yan became a champion, had 4 title fights and is overall an absolute beast. Clown O'Malley isn't exactly known for his ground game, which is about the only weakness Yan has. On feet, he gets destroyed and I'm pretty shocked he even accepted this fight. 

30 minutes ago, MegaMegu__ said:

Poor Nate, but he asked for Khamzat and Dana gave him.

Best of luck for Nate.

From what I've heard Nate has a strained relationship with Dana. He claims Dana doesn't give him any fights and refuses to release him from his contract. Maybe Dana gave him this fight to screw with him by feeding Nate to the most dangerous prospect. If Hazmat put up a convincing performance he is sure to get the next title shot.

• Like 1