English voice acting, anyone else got issues?

Valkirye22

Given that I don't speak French I had the game on english for the most part but I just can't look past

all the characters speaking like the English.

I mean some of them are downright English countryside or Irish accents which is ridiculous considering the setting.
I'm not saying they should have some almost offensive fake french accent but just a bit, Ezio sounded perfectly Italian in

english versions.

It's stupid running around being yelled at by violent french revolutionary radicals sounding like late 19th century London police

officers - don't know if it's the translation or....

You can switch the voice acting to French and read subtitles if you want.

Remember that French Chef assassin from AC3? Imagine if everyone sounded like him in Unity. I'd rather hear "ello govna" honestly, even if it does sacrifice immersion. 

Edited by Saltyie

Why is this topic making me think of 'Allo 'Allo?

To be honest I find it weird seeing people speaking English in historical pieces (like Assassin's Creed) at all. The lack of an accent really doesn't matter to me, I just go with it. In fact most of the time I find many accents incredibly forced, especially if its for a region I have lived in before.

However it is curious why they at least didn't put in a little more effort into Unity in this regard, considering how much detail they put into the rest.

Right now I'm playing it with French voices and English subtitles (I speak both) and it just feels weird to me as I'm use to english voices in my games. I don't know if it's just the french version, but they seem to curse a lot more than I remember. In the subtitles it reads as Bellac calling Arno a "pisspot", yet in the french voice he calls him "shitmaker".

Yes I also think it's ridiculous to have characters speak British English in Paris.  I guess Ubisoft could have done a great french accent, but they decided to instead please the enghish speakers whom they thought don't enjoy a french accent.  Bad decision in my opinion! Arno should have spoken more like Steve Martin in The Pink Panther :-)

Well I'm French and I play most if not all my games in English , simply because nowadays there is a lot games that use Motion Capture to capture the actor's performance and it's better to hear their voice , and to be honest I hate french voice actors in video games they're just super bad. I agree that a French accent is just awful to hear . I don't have the game right now and I still don't know if I'm gonna play it in English or French , if the French's voices are OK I'll go with French but they are always shitty so I will probably end up playing Unity in English .

• 3 weeks later...