Best class for nightmare difficulty?

JoeThomas800m

Just to follow up I've found nightmare very easy with a rogue, 2x mages and a warrior. I'm around 40h in and only to had retry the first boss a few times.

I'm rocking the same set up, the Envy demon kicked my ass the first time because the whole game was starting to feel like a cake walk on Nightmare. I sometimes check my difficulty to make sure I'm still on Nightmare so that was a nice, welcoming fight.

• 4 weeks later...

I've beaten the game on both hard and nightmare and this is what my experience boils down to:

-Knight Enchanter is OP as balls, dealing heavy damage, tanking hits and putting up barriers.

-Rogues with stealth can cheese almost every fight by going into stealth when the rest of the party dies, running away, having the party auto-respawn and letting them run back in with shields up.

I'd recommend having these two in the party at all times. I'd recommend choosing the rogue as your Inquisitor, as rogues rarely get much attention from enemies and can avoid them with stealth, which makes disrupting rifts a lot easier. Your party also needs a warrior tank, but i wouldn't make your inquisitor a warrior since those always get massive attention, making rifts much harder in my opinion.

Personally, my Inquisitor was a rogue with a bow, but i played as Vivienne 99% of the time to avoid having the cpu waste mana, only switching back to my rogue to run away or to use the inquisitor-only focus ability.

4th party member is your decision, but i'd recommend another ranged character, as some enemies like to jump around the battlefield and some even go to areas inaccesible to warriors.

I started this game on Normal as a Rogue, when I finish it maybe I'm going to start as a Warrior but, if I finish it on Nightmare, does the hard difficulty trophy also pops up or only the nightmare difficulty?

They both pop, but note that you're not allowed to change the difficulty during the playthrough, or else you won't get the trophies.

• 1 month later...

I second Knight Enchanter specialization. Getting the Fire Mine trap skill will do so much damage by end game that you'll gain a full barrier almost every time you use it. Spirit Blade does a tremendous amount of damage since it bypasses armor and barrier, and like someone else said, if you make/find armor with an "Shield on Hit" perk you can solo dragons. I regularly had more shield than my warriors with an almost constantly rejuvenating barrier. I had a bit of trouble in the beginning with a mage since I started with Nightmare right off the bat, but it wasn't so bad once I stopped rushing everything and learned how to fight.

Good luck!

Edited by Elyther

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Knight Enchanter. With Spirit, Winter, and Knight Enchanter skill trees. Also be sure to have at least 1 tank in your party at all times. AI controlled Rogues are mostly useless, aside from picking locks.

Is a bit tough at first but once you get the Knight Enchanter specialization it gets much easier. Also element protection tonics are essential, especially against dragons. Also, don't take on any opponent that has a higher level than you. Rather avoid and come back later when you're stronger. The tactical camera is essential, use it to scout and scan enemies. Dispel is a godsend, use it to dispel enemies spawning from fade rifts.

Your best friend is the crafting table. I know it can get extremely monotonous sitting on that thing working out the best combinations but, in the end, it really helps tremendously to have the best possible gear. 

I played as a sword/board warrior which is, apparently, the hardest on nightmare and it was tough early on but once I was able to upgrade gear it became easier and easier as the game wore on. I would highly recommend archer rogue if you're having issue. 

There isn't a best class since you can play with 4 characters at any time.

So even if you are not too happy about your Inquisitor, you can change who you play with.

It also helps that you can redirect skill points, also rogues and warriors can change their type of weaponry.

It all has to do with your team set-up.

It's key to have a team that shows any diversity (1 warrior, 1 mage, 1 rogue, 1 of your choosing).

If you outfit them well (proper gear, weapons, potions, grenades and skills) it will become pretty easy. (I never use tonics for some reason).

It's important to develop a strategy where you feel comfortable and it pays off.

If you hardly survive any battle, there's something wrong.

A strategy even includes what potions and grenades you will equip.

For example I use (2nd nightmare playthrough) 2 mages, 1 rogue (bow) and a warrior reaver as inquisitor.

If I keep my three companions at a certain distance, they can support my close quarter combat inquisitor.

As a reaver he can deal massive damage, so I have enough healing potion or healing grenades to keep him going.

I intent to keep my three companions at a certain distance, so I outfit them with grenades so they make sure that most enemies never reach them.

But during my first nightmare playthrough I had a rogue (twin daggers) inquisitor, two warrions and a mage support.

Here I had the opposite strategy to engage in as many close quarter combat which provided more challenge and difficulty as to comparison with my current playthrough (the above). But it's normal a second playthrough goes smoother.

However, it's also important to not always use the same team.

Not all battles on nightmare will be hard, so I like to experiment like going out with 4 warriors and see what happens.

This wouldn't work during most story missions (guess).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, going through nightmare right now and will be choosing the spec soon :D

You can defeat boss and dragons by yourself with a knight enchanter. Once you master this class, nothing can stop you.

Edited by neptunefan17