Mage or Templars ?

I've always sided with mages since Origins (my Hero of Ferelden was even a mage himself). They get a bad rep because yes, they are susceptible to demon possession and some turn to blood magic, but I refuse to let them all be punished for the actions of those who go bad, lol. Hell, adorable lil' Dorian is a Tevinter mage and he's nothing like the evil sith like empire they're made out to be :P

I feel like both sides aren't really likeable. I feel like the mages' cause is abit more righteous and there's more innocents on their side yet everytime you support the mages they then continue to do something extremely stupid like using blood magic or getting their asses possessed. I say just have everything return to the way it was in Origins, with the mages being able to study as they wish with some minor controlling from the templars to make sure they're not doing stupid things again.

I say just have everything return to the way it was in Origins, with the mages being able to study as they wish with some minor controlling from the templars to make sure they're not doing stupid things again.

That's why I keep supporting the reformation of the circle everytime any such conversation comes up in-game. True, a lot of mages felt like they were being imprisoned but done right it could be more akin to a sort of school - Hogwarts style - where mages learn their craft and how to keep as safe as possible from the dangers they face.

Mages are the most oppressed because people are fearful. Templars are employed to keep them at bay because the Chantry are scared of them. Circles were set up as a way to keep control of the Mage population. A Mage can also be given the equivalent of a forced lobotomy if they are even suspected of being in danger of doing blood magic, which turns them into an emotionless vacant shell of what they once were. This has been abused greatly over the DA history and many mages have been made tranquil unnecessarily. Dorian even mentions how it is used as punishment in Tevinter.

Templars are forced to ingest blue lyrium as part of their intiation - its what gives them their Mage-killing abilities. But it turns them into addicts, takes away a large amount of free will and eventually kills them.

Neither side handles their business well at all.

I went with Mages because they are the most oppressed, and I hate oppression. My plan is to try and get the circles back, but on the Inquisitions terms.

It's a tough call. I picked the Mages on my initial playthrough but, come to think of it, those Mages aren't exactly the same Circle Mages (en masse) that we helped before hand. If I had it MY way I would pick from both, obviously, as both sides have people not wanting to deal with the villains but I, initially, picked Mages because I figured "Mages mean power" and I had picked them in DA and DA2. This go around I am going to pick Templars. In truth, if you really break it down, the Templars are the wounded party in this current issue as:

SPOILERS!!!!!

They were betrayed from the top down much like the Wardens (kind of). Both orders had their leadership manipulated and were both abused while thinking they were doing the right thing. The Mages, on the other hand, actually had the (surprisingly) choice and made the choice to do as they did. As rebels they could have simply went their own way. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mages

This choice came to early in the game.

The entire second game build up towards the conflict between Mages and Templars.

After you made your choice, there's very little mentioning of their conflict.

I haven't finished the game, but I would have put certain story mission way before this conflict.

Since the Circle of Magi can be found in (almost?) every country of Thedas, the conflict should have gotten more attention.

Next playthrough will be Templars no doubt :)

This choice came to early in the game.

The entire second game build up towards the conflict between Mages and Templars.

After you made your choice, there's very little mentioning of their conflict.

I agree that such a big choice does come a little too early in the game, however I imagine the reason it barely gets mentioned afterwards is because the side you choose then becomes a part of the Inquisition, effectively putting an end to the main forces ability to take part in that conflict. Obviously there would still be small conflicts involving parties that weren't officially a part of the main Templar/Mage army, but for the most part having the main bulk join the Inquisition puts an end to the fight.

Mages ofc. After i heard all that crap first time being in Val Royeaux i decided that i do not want to have any deal with templars.

Mages can be retarded, but templars have too much ego and bloodthirst. 

I try not to tar the Mages and Templars all with the same brush. I mean through 3 games I've witnessed the good and bad of both sides - I've seen Mages decide to turn to blood magic, I've seen Templars fight and die to protect their charges, so even though neither side is perfect, they both have people who are worth fighting for. Cullen and Alistair are two great examples of what good is in the Templars, while Dorian alone is a perfect example of the good of the Mages, having come from a country that sees blood magic as the norm.

I imagine it this way. One guy witnessed the destructive aspect of the mages in first hand. But he was not an insensable man so instead of just bucthering them all, he decided that "okey let them do their magic but we should be very very vigilant of them in case they turn their magic to hurtfull purposes. So comes the Templars and many other means of keeping Mages in check. Reasonable? I guess so. But right? I am not sure. Because every single being is prone to turn to, quote "evil side", not just mages. So I choose mages, plus the ending of the game that comes with it suits me very well as well.