Street Fighter V NOT a timed exclusive

Dark_Tooth69

Assassin's Creed Unity was leveled to the lowest common denominator to be able to run on the XB1, thus causing the PS4 version to suffer. Sure, Street Fighter probably wouldn't fall into this category, but by and large, games are only getting more advanced, if anything exclusives are only serving to accelerate the inevitable death of a console that isn't keeping up.

As far as I'm aware, it suffers on all platforms, PC included. The problems it's suffering from seem more like the result of shoddy development and being rushed than any fault of the Xbox One. There are many multi-platform games that run just fine on all systems, so it isn't like this is some rampant issue. Unless you can provide some sort of evidence to support what you're claiming, such as an official statement from Ubisoft, then all you're doing is making an assumption. I'd also like to make it clear that I'm talking about exclusivity on the whole.

Edited by Candi B

As far as I'm aware, it suffers on all platforms, PC included. The problems it's suffering from seem more like the result of shoddy development and being rushed than any fault of the Xbox One. There are many multi-platform games that run just fine on all systems, so it isn't like this is some rampant issue. Unless you can provide some sort of evidence to support what you're claiming, such as an official statement from Ubisoft, then all you're doing is making an assumption. I'd also like to make it clear that I'm talking about exclusivity on the whole.

You're right, it does have issues on all platforms, however the console version was held back because of the XB1

The fact that Assassin’s Creed: Unity is at 900p resolution and 30fps on both PS4 and Xbox One when the PS4 can handle 1080p and 60 fps, is a joke. Those who take issue with it feel cheated; that the PS4 version (their version) of the game is being held back due to the limitations, of its slightly less powerful competitor. Some have even declared a boycott of the game because of it. 

You're right, it does have issues on all platforms, however the console version was held back because of the XB1

The fact that Assassin’s Creed: Unity is at 900p resolution and 30fps on both PS4 and Xbox One when the PS4 can handle 1080p and 60 fps, is a joke. Those who take issue with it feel cheated; that the PS4 version (their version) of the game is being held back due to the limitations, of its slightly less powerful competitor. Some have even declared a boycott of the game because of it. 

Again, where is the evidence that supports the claim that it was held back because of the Xbox One? You've yet to provide any form of proof. All you've done is make an assumption because of convenient circumstance. If you want to know why they locked both games at that particular resolution and framerate, then you can check out the article below.

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-unity-delivers-resolution-players/

“We know a lot of gamers consider 1080p with 60 frames per second to be the gold standard, especially on the new generation of consoles,” Pontbriand says. “We realize we had also pushed for 1080p in some of our previous games, including AC4. But we made the right decision to focus our resources on delivering the best gameplay experience, and resolution is just one factor. There is a real cost to all those NPCs, to all the details in the city, to all the systems working together, and to the seamless co-op gameplay. We wanted to be absolutely uncompromising when it comes to the overall gameplay experience. Those additional pixels could only come at a cost to the gameplay.”

Yet even then the game performs terribly on all platforms. So, I lean more towards shoddy development than the X1 being at fault.

Edited by Candi B

Again, where is the evidence that supports the claim that it was held back because of the Xbox One? You've yet to provide any form of proof. All you've done is make an assumption because of convenient circumstance. If you want to know why they locked both games at that particular resolution and framerate, then you can check out the article below.

So, unless you can give me some evidence that actually backs up your claim, all it is is an assumption without merit.

“We know a lot of gamers consider 1080p with 60 frames per second to be the gold standard, especially on the new generation of consoles,” Pontbriand says. “We realize we had also pushed for 1080p in some of our previous games, including AC4. But we made the right decision to focus our resources on delivering the best gameplay experience, and resolution is just one factor. There is a real cost to all those NPCs, to all the details in the city, to all the systems working together, and to the seamless co-op gameplay. We wanted to be absolutely uncompromising when it comes to the overall gameplay experience. Those additional pixels could only come at a cost to the gameplay.”

Yet even then the game performs terribly on all platforms. So, I lean more towards shoddy development than the X1 being at fault.

That was PR jargon to cover up a few slips from earlier interviews where they said "they wanted to avoid arguments about what console was better" It's a real simple concept. If the Xbox was as powerful or more powerful than the PS4, they wouldn't have had to worry about settling for 900P @ 30FPS. 

Its the same way PC games are held back by consoles. PC are infinitely more powerful, but they cater to the lowest common denominator. Stuidos aren't going to take the time to make a version that runs 100X better for PC when the console versions will look acceptable. 

That was PR jargon to cover up a few slips from earlier interviews where they said "they wanted to avoid arguments about what console was better" It's a real simple concept. If the Xbox was as powerful or more powerful than the PS4, they wouldn't have had to worry about settling for 900P @ 30FPS. 

Its the same way PC games are held back by consoles. PC are infinitely more powerful, but they cater to the lowest common denominator. Stuidos aren't going to take the time to make a version that runs 100X better for PC when the console versions will look acceptable. 

You can call it PR jargon if you like, but that doesn't invalidate what they said. At all. In fact, it makes much more sense than the statement you're referring to. Going by that very same statement, they could have very well developed the PS4 version at 1080p and 60fps if they'd wanted to, but didn't because... people were arguing? That has less to do with the Xbox One being incapable, and more to do with Ubisoft being stupid and childish.

Edited by Candi B

You can call it PR jargon if you like, but that doesn't invalidate what they said. At all. In fact, it makes much more sense than the statement you're referring to. Going by that very same statement, they could have very well developed the PS4 version at 1080p and 60fps if they'd wanted to, but didn't because... people were arguing? That has less to do with the Xbox One being incapable, and more to do with Ubisoft being stupid and childish.

Of course they could, that's my whole point. 

True, people will always be a little "fanboyish" of their respective console, however It should be pretty clear that it's not a good thing for them to hold games back (I don't care what they say, they did hold it back) for any reason, let alone to "avoid arguments"

Of course they could, that's my whole point. 

True, people will always be a little "fanboyish" of their respective console, however It should be pretty clear that it's not a good thing for them to hold games back (I don't care what they say, they did hold it back) for any reason, let alone to "avoid arguments"

None of this points to the Xbox One being at fault. No, it instead shows that Ubisoft was either being stupid/childish, or that they wanted to fill the screen up with so much, with a certain level of detail, that both consoles might have suffered in performance had they not scaled them down. We both agree that if they could have, then they should have taken advantage of the PS4's superior hardware and scaled it up appropriately, and they very well could have, but they simply chose not to.

Yet despite them opting for 900p and 30fps, the game still suffers from horrible framerate issues and a myriad of other problems as well. These have less to do with the Xbox One holding the game back, and more to do with Ubisoft rushing the game out and/or doing a poor job with development. We've had plenty of multi-platform releases that have worked just fine, so that is why this seems far more likely.

Edited by Candi B

I wonder how you are supposed to do a Street Fighter 5 after you did SF4 and its many iterations.

By not continuing to set the plot line of the sequel before a previous entry that was released 14 years ago because you can't figure out how to continue from where it last left off.

its only normal the best games come out for the only best system.... i still wish one day there is ONE console! Sony MC Nintendo make it happen!!

I think it is a shame that it isn't a timed exclusive, after all our Xbone brethren enjoy Street Fighter as well, but the cross platform play is awesome and it is something Microsoft never would've agreed to. Maybe that is one of the reasons it is exclusive to PS4 as far as consoles. 

Parker

Street Fighter IV had numerous re-releases, so the SF5 re-releases will probably be available for the Xbox One. 

As a passionate Street Fighter player, I don´t know about you guys, but this makes me veeery happy! I was about to get a XBone, and to re-purchase a 360, just to be able to compete with the more people in Street Fighter. Well, this takes my problem :P btw. MS took Killer Instinct from us! We shouldn´t forget that and maybe, just maybe, one day I´ll get a XBone just for KI.

I am not in favour of games that were multi-platform being exclusive now but if a company can focus on 1 system (and design that game around that system) then it should turn out a better product.

Look at FF13 and how it had to be stripped down to be on the 360 as well. The game barely sold on that system but the consumers got a worse experience because SE decided to branch out to other systems.

Street Fighter Xbox Community at the moment

--------

What I think they're going to do is put SFV on PS4 while SSFV will be on both consoles amd maybe the WiiU. To those that are saying now playstation has its own fighting game, ehm.. Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-? That game's demo was so awesome I quit on buying SAO Hollow Fragment to save for it. Also I thought I'd share this comment that I found on Maximilian Dood's vid of the trailer

0o5gLkx.png

Sony is co developing it. I expect Sony Computer Entertainment to appear at the startup on it. Just like Dead Rising 3 and Microsoft. There is a Dead Rising 3 Apocalypse Edition on XB1, that didn't come out on PS4. Neither will any other version of SFV. SF is my favourite fighting game series so I'm stoked.

Also, SFV is being built from the ground up for PS4. 

Edited by CollateralCat-

the last Street Fighter i ever played before i left the franchise was 3rd strike on the ps2 back in 2009, so i don't really care if it's exclusive on the ps4 as a console. so what? should i start jumping around and make fun of XBONE fanboys?....nope, that's stupid  :|

i don't know if this is true but, i heard Capcom are the one who's making this decision by blaming Microsoft policies on Xbox live about not allowing the cross platform between their consoles and PC like how Sony is allowing it with the ps3 / ps4 with PC.

also it's said the XBONE isn't doing so well in Japan or Asia in that matter, got something to do with this. 

This is great news. MS can now make more fighters for the Xbox One and Sony has it's fighter. The only problem is drm for PC and people pirating it. As an X1 owner I support this, yea it sucks but it breeds better competition and heat from the other side. Now this is realistic bit, Capcom is going to lose out on this, no xbox player would move for one game unless it's jam packed and many have PC that will pirate it for their hatred against Capcom. I think 3 million will be hit easily but I think the same thing that happen with SF4 will happen here. 

Sony had it's console exclusive fighting game before this, so this gives Sony 2 console exclusive fighting games, the other being Guilty Gear Xrd Sign, which is already out for the PS4 & PS3 in Japan.

This interview pretty much explains why it was a PC and PS4 exclusive: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/dec/06/playstation-4-will-be-only-console-street-fighter-5-ever-appears-its-built-ground-ps4-notable-quotes-sony-presser/

"When we first began working on what's next for the vision of the Street Fighter franchise, we reached out to PlayStation,"

"we reached out to PlayStation,"

It wasn't the other way around, which would explain how they were able to afford to make a sequel in the first place!

I'm still stoked, I doubt this'll be a half assed product like Ultra! In other news, our beloved Yoshinori Ono will

reveal new details regarding SF5 next week during Capcom Cup! YAY! :D

• Like 1

I was just thinking about it. Why are people hating on this so much?

Monster Hunter is exclusive to Nintendo, Dead Rising 3 is exclusive to Xbox and now Street Fighter is exclusive to Sony.

Every system has some Capcom loving :).

It's different because streetfighter was multiplatform for a long time, now out of nowhere it's cutting out a giant part of their fan base.

It's different because streetfighter was multiplatform for a long time, now out of nowhere it's cutting out a giant part of their fan base.

Well to be fair Street Fighter was on Nintendo platforms first and then they decided to not continue that relationship (3ds had super street fighter 4 even).

But what I am saying is Dead Rising was on all the platforms (at least the second one was) and Monster Hunter is a HUGE exclusive that went from Playstation to Nintendo.

Something happened to make Capcom not want to put this game on Xbox, maybe it was due to money exchanging hands, maybe it was because fighters aren't as popular on Xbox, maybe it has to do with the pc-console cross play, maybe they weren't happy with Dead Rising sales or maybe it is a whole bunch of those reasons.

In the end this is a crappy move for Xbox users but they still have Titan Fall, Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising and now possibly Minecraft to keep their exclusive coffers full :)

I was just thinking about it. Why are people hating on this so much?

Monster Hunter is exclusive to Nintendo, Dead Rising 3 is exclusive to Xbox and now Street Fighter is exclusive to Sony.

Every system has some Capcom loving :).

Dead rising 3 isn't exclusive to Xbox 1 as Capcom published the PC version. Also come on, as much as I like Capcom V studios they messed up big time. The thing about the interview Dragoontooth put up is the fact that  Capcom went to Sony and not even make MS aware. Well two things this deal can make Capcom lose:

1. The time frame will need to be quick in business so they can assure victory. 

2. It took 200+ plus (PS3,360 and PC steam) seven years to earn 8 million plus units, how are they going to pull it off with two? 

3. If western or japanese companies look to full up the hole Street fighter left, that could spell trouble for Capcom. 

I'm happy for Sony but it's clear this was a god send and Sony still money hat to some extend.