Holy crap! This game is getting demonlished.

I hate reviews... typically a review is written based on one guys perspective... For example, a couple weeks ago i was reading a review in GameInformer that gave Tales of Graces a 7/10 or something like that... the guy who wrote the review had a negative thing to say for every positive that he wrote about... The thing that bugs me most about it is that it was only ONE guys perspective... we take it as gospel when we read the headlined "7/10" but usually it is based on a single persons perspective... So if this certain game isn't the type of game that the person is into or a genre that they don't normally play then they could score it lower out of personal bias... but if they were to pool all of the Japanese RPG people together and have then review it as a Japanese RPG title it would probably have gotten a better score... not that 7/10 is bad but its hard to get a true comparison when 1.) the review is written by one person and 2.) this genre might not be the persons favorite genre.

If i were to only buy games based on a score written by geeks in a magazine then i would be playing a bunch of First Person Shooters and all other kinds of trendy games because they all get a perfect score before anyone even plays a demo of it... and as it is i never play those types because its not my thing... Oh another COD game is coming out? well, lets write a review and give it a perfect 10 even if we haven't seen any footage!

in this case there was a few critics on Metacritic.com all from other sites but on all of those sites the reviews are typically only written by one person... metacritic comes up with a common number based on an average... well one guy said 70/100 and another said 40/100 and thats quite a big difference from one review to the next!

If they put all the JRPG people in a room and had them review it the score would still be biased... just in the opposite direction.

Honestly, I think it's up to us to read the reviews and decide for ourselves whether or not we think the complaints are valid. Take Operation Raccoon City. One complaint I read is that the AI squad-mates are terrible, no big deal as I'd rather play co-op anyway. Another complaint is the auto cover... that one would be a problem for me, having my character constantly sticking to walls when I don't want him to would drive me nuts so I investigate further.

I personally don't think reviews should be the only thing we use to decide whether or not we buy a game, after all no one knows your tastes better than you, but they are a handy research tool.

• Like 2

I hate reviews... typically a review is written based on one guys perspective... For example, a couple weeks ago i was reading a review in GameInformer that gave Tales of Graces a 7/10 or something like that... the guy who wrote the review had a negative thing to say for every positive that he wrote about... The thing that bugs me most about it is that it was only ONE guys perspective... we take it as gospel when we read the headlined "7/10" but usually it is based on a single persons perspective... So if this certain game isn't the type of game that the person is into or a genre that they don't normally play then they could score it lower out of personal bias... but if they were to pool all of the Japanese RPG people together and have then review it as a Japanese RPG title it would probably have gotten a better score... not that 7/10 is bad but its hard to get a true comparison when 1.) the review is written by one person and 2.) this genre might not be the persons favorite genre.

If i were to only buy games based on a score written by geeks in a magazine then i would be playing a bunch of First Person Shooters and all other kinds of trendy games because they all get a perfect score before anyone even plays a demo of it... and as it is i never play those types because its not my thing... Oh another COD game is coming out? well, lets write a review and give it a perfect 10 even if we haven't seen any footage!

in this case there was a few critics on Metacritic.com all from other sites but on all of those sites the reviews are typically only written by one person... metacritic comes up with a common number based on an average... well one guy said 70/100 and another said 40/100 and thats quite a big difference from one review to the next!

Once upon a time EGM used to have 3 different people do the reviews of the "big named" games. However, you really could see a depth difference between them. Usually 1 reviewer would be all deep indepth and the other two would just hit on stuff that you would have experienced in the first hour or two of gameplay. Otherwise most, if not all, game reviews are written by 1 person.

However, I would stress not just going on one opinion. Shop around and take a poll of different people's thoughts on the matter. Metacritic is a good tool to find different review sites. Then you have to learn which ones are fanboys and which ones give an honest evaluation (you're a big boy, you should be able to tell the difference ;) ). Once there, stick with those that seem unbiased, knowledgeable about the topic, style of game and history of the genre. Also remember, it's an OPINION...not gospel. Opinions differ with EVERYBODY. What greatly bothers me may be a slight inconvenience to you.

• Like 1

If they put all the JRPG people in a room and had them review it the score would still be biased... just in the opposite direction.

I agree with this but you wouldn't put a JRPG lover in a room to critique a FPS game because the scores would be low... for a guy like me anyway... if i was a guy writing reviews you would see a lot of different numbers then what you see now... and thats my point... one guy has the power to detour the masses...

I guess where i was going with it is that we only get one persons perspective about a game that may or may not be that persons genre of choice... I know that you love survival horror games but the person(s) writing the reviews may hate them and score them lower... of course you would want to dig deeper to see the details of what the negatives are but at the same time i bet that you would have never even noticed the "defect" unless someone pointed it out to you...

If i read a review and hear all about the negative stuff in the game i am more prone to notice those things where as if i don't read a review i probably wouldn't have even noticed what others were complaining about... instead i play a game for what it is... a game... that a bunch of geeks created... i cant complain because im not the creator... who am i to tell someone how to create their games? and why would i compare it to another game suggesting that it should or shouldn't be the same?

However, I would stress not just going on one opinion. Shop around and take a poll of different people's thoughts on the matter. Metacritic is a good tool to find different review sites. Then you have to learn which ones are fanboys and which ones give an honest evaluation (you're a big boy, you should be able to tell the difference ;) ). Once there, stick with those that seem unbiased, knowledgeable about the topic, style of game and history of the genre. Also remember, it's an OPINION...not gospel. Opinions differ with EVERYBODY. What greatly bothers me may be a slight inconvenience to you.

Once again... this is why i don't like reviews... i AM a big boy, and i can make decisions on my own and that is why i am trying to encourage others to use reviews as a tool and not as gospel.

it is my OPINION that reviews do more harm than good... they over hype the mainstream and downplay the stuff that is out of the norm...

• Like 1

I agree with this but you wouldn't put a JRPG lover in a room to critique a FPS game because the scores would be low... for a guy like me anyway... if i was a guy writing reviews you would see a lot of different numbers then what you see now... and thats my point... one guy has the power to detour the masses...

I guess where i was going with it is that we only get one persons perspective about a game that may or may not be that persons genre of choice... I know that you love survival horror games but the person(s) writing the reviews may hate them and score them lower... of course you would want to dig deeper to see the details of what the negatives are but at the same time i bet that you would have never even noticed the "defect" unless someone pointed it out to you...

If i read a review and hear all about the negative stuff in the game i am more prone to notice those things where as if i don't read a review i probably wouldn't have even noticed what others were complaining about... instead i play a game for what it is... a game... that a bunch of geeks created... i cant complain because im not the creator... who am i to tell someone how to create their games? and why would i compare it to another game suggesting that it should or shouldn't be the same?

Once again... this is why i don't like reviews... i AM a big boy, and i can make decisions on my own and that is why i am trying to encourage others to use reviews as a tool and not as gospel.

it is my OPINION that reviews do more harm than good... they over hype the mainstream and downplay the stuff that is out of the norm...

I look more for technical issues, framerate stutters, pop-in, ghosting, extensive load times, poor translations or loose/unresponsive controls. I already know what I like, which is just about anything decent. If somebody else doesn't "get it" that's their loss.

The media loses just as many times that they win. Remember back in 2003 when every print outlet was screaming the praises of Prince of Persia, Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts and then gnashed their teeth over the poor sales numbers? They were just bamboozled over their lack of influence (personally IMO all three were overhyped. They were good games, but not the showstoppers the media declared). Personally, I don't need somebody to tell me that Gran Turismo 5, Resistance, or any Mario game will be outstanding. I let development history tell me what to expect. All I need from the media is to know the release date.

@ Piggie. I do love survival horror games for sure, and we are in agreement that reviews should be tools and not gospel but I don't think they are as quite as destructive as you do.

Silent Hill: Downpour is a perfect example... kinda... not for me specifically... but for others who aren't ultra fanboys of the series. It has some huge framerate issues... I mean HUGE. I'm willing to deal with it because, you know, fanboy, but anyone else who just kind of likes scary games and thought "why not" could end up getting kind of screwed because technically, the game's broken/defective. Depending on where you got it, you might be stuck with it unless you want to get rammed on a trade-in value or something along those lines. Reading or watching a review is a good way to know ahead of time (often before the game releases) that that particular problem exists and to stay clear.

On the flip side if a person read a review that's saying "you're going to be unbelievably scared" and "you're going to LOVE the story" then goes on to purchase the game expecting said review to be 100% right, any money that was wasted is just that person paying their stupid tax.

And don't sass me or it's five across the eyes!! :P

• Like 2

I got this game yesterday and I must admit that it's not perfect by any measure but as a resident evil fan I have to stress that this is just a side quest until resident evil 6 comes out. It is worth getting just for multiplayer alone and it's a fun distraction from the likes of cod and bf3 the only review u need to worry about is the one you give it

I got this game yesterday and I must admit that it's not perfect by any measure but as a resident evil fan I have to stress that this is just a side quest until resident evil 6 comes out. It is worth getting just for multiplayer alone and it's a fun distraction from the likes of cod and bf3 the only review u need to worry about is the one you give it

Agreed. The game has its flaws, but is actually quite enjoyable, in my opinion. It's cool to know the backstory of the Raccoon City incident and there are some new, fancy "status ailments" for both you and your opponents. What bothers me most about the game is not that the gameplay changed so much, looking at older REs, but the A.I. A.I. partners are pretty retarded... They run into your line of fire, don't revive other partners, always want to go for melee kills and the list goes on.

• Like 1

It's a fun game.

A.I. partners are pretty retarded...

Weirdly enough, they get "smarter" on Professional. Still no revives, but they do at least seem to heal when you actually need it. And for me personally, I use them as ammo. My gun is out - oops headshot to Bertha, Moar ammo for me. LoL

It's a fun game.

Weirdly enough, they get "smarter" on Professional. Still no revives, but they do at least seem to heal when you actually need it. And for me personally, I use them as ammo. My gun is out - oops headshot to Bertha, Moar ammo for me. LoL

That's a pretty good idea, I should do that. :P Anyway, what bothers me about them is that they always stand in your line of fire, especially when they rush into a group of zombies to melee 1 of them. Vector being the biggest culprit of that, whom I always seem to shoot unintentionally, because the guy's always in stealth mode.

• Like 1

When I first heard the previews on the game I actually looked forward to it. I have never played a RE game before, but still the premise for the game intrigued me. I never let reviews make up my mind, but in this case, after the game has been absolutely decimated, I don't think I will even bother with it. It's too bad really, it seemed to have a lot of potential.

This is completely what I expected. When the first trailer was released I thought this could be decent... until I saw the Slant Six logo.

They are crap developers.

Yes, aparently so. I am not familiar with them, what games have they made previously?

SOCOM: Confrontation

ohhhhh....that game :( I borrowed it from a cousin, put it in, got into a match, got killed once, and could tell the game sucked. I could care less about the 0% on my trophy list, its not worth my time, and I'm NOT going to hack it! :)

• 1 month later...

I beat the game at the end of March, and my general thoughts are: DO NOT play this game on single player. Play it online with a friend whenever possible. The AI is incredibly stupid...they've gotten stuck on DOORS before, and they're just really unhelpful at backing you up, they have no command prompts like RE4/5 (I forget if you can set Sheva to wait and attack, I never played single player, but I know you could at least set Ashley to wait/hide, along with RE0), they very rarely do anything to help you (sometimes Bertha won't heal you when she has first aid sprays, or Four Eyes won't cure you), they often move out of the way when you try to heal all 3 at once...

I haven't played online, but I wager this game is MUCH better online with actual people.

• 3 weeks later...