Thinking of quitting trophies...

Honestly, your issue doesn't sound like trophies. It sounds like you've finally started playing games that you actually want to play and like. You were doing the contrary because of trophies.

This is why I tend to only play games that I'm genuinely interested in (trophies or not) and hardly ever pressure myself to go for the platinum/100%. I just have fun with the game and with each trophy at a time...if that leads to a platinum, awesome ; if not, at least I got to experience the game that I longed to play. However, I do get where you are coming from to an extent: there is more of a sense of freedom some times when playing games without trophy support...just playing a game the way I want to play it.

• Like 1

You want a big gap between plats? How's this, it took me a month shy of 3 years to plat GTA IV, and I finally got around to platinuming Star Wars Force Unleashed a month or two back, which I started (my first PS3 game) on the 6th of the 9th (heheh) 2011. Over 3 years between first and last trophy.

That's a good gap! Kudos on actually finishing games that must have been collecting a fair bit of dust! I fear for me that will never happen but I've got another two years to find out! 

I'm currently not enjoying my Vita titles but I have to finish them before I start a new one because I don't want to add another game to my profile just yet and, more importantly, I have no space.

Agree with most here.  Play games for fun, not trophies unless you feel absolutely compelled to get them and all.  I see them as nice little additions, but the moment you limit yourself because of the trophies is the beginning of missing out on great games.  I've seen it too many times where people will play games that they didn't like and lot of platinums and I always ask myself, why did you play it if you didn't like it?  You could have probably platinumed 10 other games that you actually could have enjoyed. 

tl;dr focus on fun.  It's so damn simple. 

• Like 2

Do whatever makes you feel good mate :) gaming and also trophies are meant to be fun and also rewarding, but not something you feel annoyed by. If you're having fun if something without trophies, keep going.

As for me, I just got tired of Nintendo and their ancient jurassic way of handling their games and especially consoles. As of today, I really enjoy trophies and I get then in all the games i like, but I do as a reward for something I like, not something forced to do it.

Edited by Mah2c
  • Like 1

That's a good gap! Kudos on actually finishing games that must have been collecting a fair bit of dust! I fear for me that will never happen but I've got another two years to find out! 

I'm currently not enjoying my Vita titles but I have to finish them before I start a new one because I don't want to add another game to my profile just yet and, more importantly, I have no space.

GTA I always had because I loved it, but Force I actually traded in like 2 years ago because I liked the PSP version more and didn't really go back to the PS3 one. The one I had originally had all the DLC included so I have a few of it's trophies but I rebought it in January sans DLC so I can't 100% the game, the DLC prices are outrageous for that game. I actually returned the PS3 one after buying it twice about a week later because it was way shorter than I remembered and after the plat I'd replayed it enough to feel good enough, paid 12 bucks for it, got the plat, then got my 12 bucks back, free rentals from EB are the best.

Whe I reach 100 plats, I'm out of trophies for good. I know it might not be much but it's my goal, some people's goal might be 200, 300, 50, heck, 1000 plats!

I just can't leave now because I have many games to 100% and plat, just enough to reach 100 :)

I feel you there, I'm tempted to call it quits at number 69 just for a giggle since I'm close. Gonna suck when you pass 100 and then Uncharted 23 comes out and you get your 101st :P

I think trophies have a lot of similarities with alcohol. For the vast majority of people, they are a take it or leave it proposition, "I'll have a drink with the buddies" is very similar to "I love Assassin's Creed and oh look a trophy popped because I beat a level, that's great." The relationship between the person and the alcohol/trophy is very neutral, in general they can be seen as fun, but a day without them is no big deal. Then you have the connoisseurs, those people who will have a drink regularly or shoot to knock out a platinum, but don't have a problem, they can still go a day without the drink or that virtual hit. Then you have the people who have a problem with addictive tendencies or borderline compulsion disorders, they need that drink, they need that trophy, even when it is bad for them. They have an early meeting but can't put down the controller because they are two kills away from their next goal or they disregard personal, real life relationships for a controller and a dark room. Now obviously, having a drug or alcohol problem is more serious than being addicted to video games, but anything can become an addiction. If you feel like you are neglecting things that you want to do, you're not spending time with loved ones, you're not playing that old game on the PC because you need to farm one more item to craft something in a game you actually hate, you have a problem. The scope of that problem is of course different for everyone, but if, as I think you're saying, trophy hunting is a chore, something you wish you could do away with to have more time for something else, maybe it's time to try that. I'd say unplug the PS3/PS4 and play the games you like with your girlfriend. Anything that is a hobby and brings joy, should never become a burden.

For my own experience, trophy hunting helped with my compulsive nature. I'd buy all the consoles and tons of games and never play the vast majority of them because I'd feel like I needed "master" them. I needed to find every item, max every level, do every task, much like many trophy lists have. However, after I completed a game and moved on, down the road I'd look at that old, completed game and think "I read about X" and suddenly have this compulsive need to replay the game again. I'd go through cycles like this and my backlog would grow. Eventually, I sold everything but my PS3 (later I'd acquire a Vita and a PS4) and start trophy hunting. The basic idea was the same, do everything, but with a virtual checklist I felt like there was validation to my hard work. Now I know that this is a long reply and maybe is a bit of topic, but I just want you to know that many of us here have had similar issues with addictions to gaming in many forms and the best advice I could give is moderation. Play games for fun, hunt if you want to, but don't let video games (and especially trophies) become who you are. It's a virtual achievement that only has the meaning ascribed to it that you give it. For me personally, they are a waypoint towards finishing a game, but others may consider them a chore, pointless, or the best addition to gaming since R.O.B. the robot. You just need to work on finding that perfect balance and if it's problematic, move on to something you can have fun with.

• Like 1

I think trophies have a lot of similarities with alcohol. For the vast majority of people, they are a take it or leave it proposition, "I'll have a drink with the buddies" is very similar to "I love Assassin's Creed and oh look a trophy popped because I beat a level, that's great." The relationship between the person and the alcohol/trophy is very neutral, in general they can be seen as fun, but a day without them is no big deal. Then you have the connoisseurs, those people who will have a drink regularly or shoot to knock out a platinum, but don't have a problem, they can still go a day without the drink or that virtual hit. Then you have the people who have a problem with addictive tendencies or borderline compulsion disorders, they need that drink, they need that trophy, even when it is bad for them. They have an early meeting but can't put down the controller because they are two kills away from their next goal or they disregard personal, real life relationships for a controller and a dark room. Now obviously, having a drug or alcohol problem is more serious than being addicted to video games, but anything can become an addiction. If you feel like you are neglecting things that you want to do, you're not spending time with loved ones, you're not playing that old game on the PC because you need to farm one more item to craft something in a game you actually hate, you have a problem. The scope of that problem is of course different for everyone, but if, as I think you're saying, trophy hunting is a chore, something you wish you could do away with to have more time for something else, maybe it's time to try that. I'd say unplug the PS3/PS4 and play the games you like with your girlfriend. Anything that is a hobby and brings joy, should never become a burden.

For my own experience, trophy hunting helped with my compulsive nature. I'd buy all the consoles and tons of games and never play the vast majority of them because I'd feel like I needed "master" them. I needed to find every item, max every level, do every task, much like many trophy lists have. However, after I completed a game and moved on, down the road I'd look at that old, completed game and think "I read about X" and suddenly have this compulsive need to replay the game again. I'd go through cycles like this and my backlog would grow. Eventually, I sold everything but my PS3 (later I'd acquire a Vita and a PS4) and start trophy hunting. The basic idea was the same, do everything, but with a virtual checklist I felt like there was validation to my hard work. Now I know that this is a long reply and maybe is a bit of topic, but I just want you to know that many of us here have had similar issues with addictions to gaming in many forms and the best advice I could give is moderation. Play games for fun, hunt if you want to, but don't let video games (and especially trophies) become who you are. It's a virtual achievement that only has the meaning ascribed to it that you give it. For me personally, they are a waypoint towards finishing a game, but others may consider them a chore, pointless, or the best addition to gaming since R.O.B. the robot. You just need to work on finding that perfect balance and if it's problematic, move on to something you can have fun with.

Mirroring this, I am pretty damn against alcohol to be honest, I will have the odd drink like once every few months just to satisfy a friend, but overall I think it does nothing for me and I don't want it. I feel good when I knock of a trophy list though. I don't know, I haven't played any PlayStation stuff in a couple days, at all, I've played probably half an hour on my DS in that time and I don't really miss it that much, but I feel like I should for some reason. Even if I am addicted to trophies, which you'd have a fair case in saying, I still do everything else, I mean I get all my work done, I go out with friends, I've got all the money I need, I'm in a normal happy relationship and have been for almost 2 years, I'm generally pretty happy with everything in my life at the moment. Can you be addicted to something, even if it doesn't affect anything else you do? Well of course you can, I guess. I don't know. It's like subgenres, it's all so infinite.

Mirroring this, I am pretty damn against alcohol to be honest, I will have the odd drink like once every few months just to satisfy a friend, but overall I think it does nothing for me and I don't want it. I feel good when I knock of a trophy list though. I don't know, I haven't played any PlayStation stuff in a couple days, at all, I've played probably half an hour on my DS in that time and I don't really miss it that much, but I feel like I should for some reason. Even if I am addicted to trophies, which you'd have a fair case in saying, I still do everything else, I mean I get all my work done, I go out with friends, I've got all the money I need, I'm in a normal happy relationship and have been for almost 2 years, I'm generally pretty happy with everything in my life at the moment. Can you be addicted to something, even if it doesn't affect anything else you do? Well of course you can, I guess. I don't know. It's like subgenres, it's all so infinite.

Also, the Rock Band I ordered off eBay came today and I played that for a while, on PS2, and had a blast. $2.89 well spent, all wrapped up and everything. Played a Wii (geddit?) bit of Mario Kart as well. I'll see how long it lasts, but for the moment, I'm okay with just playing for fun. I feel a teensy bit more sane already, thank you all for your replies, I've very much enjoyed reading them. Ciao.

Also, just Googled it, did you know ciao actually means hello and not goodbye? I've said it like twice in my life but I know people who use it as saying bye all the time. Good times. #Spider-Man4

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
  • Like 1

I used to become rather angry with myself due to how I am with trophies. I felt like I was disgracing the gaming community of which I so loved because of the fact I never felt an urge to play a game if it did not have trophies in it. I did not used to be this way, I would sit for hours upon hours of the day enjoying myself with a game. After awhile, though, I lost it. I could not particularly find myself getting into much of any games with the exception of a few. There was always an odd exemption, however; if a game had trophies, I could sit there and enjoy it as I did those years back with no trouble. But upon obtaining the plat there was no more enjoyment to be sought after. Recently, I learned to accept that this was simply due to growing preference and taste. As there are still games I love and will willingly play with no outer incentive. Whatever I truly enjoy, I will go after. I no longer see much of a point in feeling guilty due to this. So what if trophies help me stay in a game? So what if my interests are more defined into a strict peak now? Am I not enjoying what I am currently into? That is what matters.

If I play a game due to the fact it has trophies, and enjoy playing it for that reason, even if it is the only reason I started it, then it is time well spent, in my opinion. Whatever you enjoy; do. I can relate to that one part of your story quite a bit. This is also where the guilt came from. I got the trophies because they were important to me, I played because it was important to me. I had actually devoted myself at one point to be top dawg, though that did not last long, as my passion for it did not quite extend that deep. It was important to me then to get every trophy I found, it was obsessive to do it for me. But interests change, so does what a person finds to be important. There are also many times with things you love where you will enter multiple stages of indifference, and going back to it later. Just like with learning an instrument. I like to see this as a growing stage to further develop yourself and your identity in the activities you so love taking part in. This is not a bad thing. Everyone reaches these points, some just stop completely. But what many seem to miss is just as there is a "stop or keep going", there is a "do whichever comes to you". Just as tons of others on the middle ground.

I understand your confusion completely, but just as I and many others have stated. You do not need to fall completely on one end. Unless this goes to the point of OCD, and you feel that unless you separate yourself from it you will not be able to contain yourself. And will just keep forcing yourself to do something you do not find enjoyment in anymore. I cannot say I never had something like this. Though that is a different topic for a different time. If this is the case, and you truly do feel there is no way around it, then all I can say is; try to cut it. Like with breaking an addiction. Limit yourself to some for a few weeks, then cut the amount by a quarter over the course of a month, and so on. There is no shame in it. You are your own person, and you are permitted the right to make your own choices. As well as keep and let go. Do not feel like you need to limit yourself like this.

I probably got a bit off-point, as the above paragraph was made entirely for the stated scenario in which you "were" addicted to it. But for now I am going to repeat myself a bit; do what comes to you. Whatever feels right to you, even if it is to completely quit it, I do not care. I will support you all the way despite. And I am certain many others here feel the same.

You said you have not played your DS for even half an hour in the time of which you have been off the PS3, but despite you do not miss it. Yet you still feel like you should. I am not certain if the cause is the same for you, nor if you could relate to my exact thoughts, but I used to have similar feelings. I could never figure out if it was due to pride, or just shame. Disappointment. It was that and many other things. The most notable being summed up like this; "If I do not feel an urge to go back, how can I tell myself I am a gamer? Doesn't this mean I am lying to myself? Where is all the attachment? Was it all for nothing?". My answer to these questions I made for myself was as follows; "I am a gamer because it is what I found piece of myself in. I cannot be lying to myself as the memories I have of it all are there, and I took full participation in the times of which I was interested. The attachment might be there, it might not be. But should I really be limiting my life based off obligations originating from pride? No, I should not. It was not for nothing. Gaming is, and always will be part of what made me who I am. Many of the greatest moments of my life were spent there. Many of the only people whom I truly see as my family were met there. Even if I never pick up another game in my life, this does not change. Does everything I did as a result fade away with time? No, those achievements are and always will be there. They will always be what started me on life. They are where part of me originated. If this is not enough to determine what can truly be called genuine in this time or no; then so be it.". Even if I stop getting trophies, even if I stop gaming, there is no denying the truth to this about myself. Gaming is not just a hobby, it is part of my identity. It is part of who I am. Even if it is something I never do again. It is and always will be me.

"Whatever route life finds you, embrace it. If it means falling off your old path, so be it. Just make sure you keep the moments, and then when you are ready to look back on them, make sure you can go and say "That was quite a ride"", can summarise this quite well, I think.

I apologise about getting into so many tangents. I was just trying to relate in the best way I could, whether I helped you or not with your current struggle, I do not know, but I do hope I at least contributed into your moving on from it. I am probably repeating myself here, but you have my and many others support whether you decide to stop trophies or not, or just stay in between. It is your choice. It is part of what defines you, do not let that fade off from you.

It is also very good to know this is becoming easier for you. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are among my favourite games, so it truly pleases me to know you enjoy them. Tell me, what difficulty are you on as of now?

No, I did not know that is what it meant, actually...Learn something new each day, I suppose. So um, ciao. :P

~Your fellow body of light, kin, and gamer - Neppy

Edited by Nepgear2
  • Like 1

I used to become rather angry with myself due to how I am with trophies. I felt like I was disgracing the gaming community of which I so loved because of the fact I never felt an urge to play a game if it did not have trophies in it. I did not used to be this way, I would sit for hours upon hours of the day enjoying myself with a game. After awhile, though, I lost it. I could not particularly find myself getting into much of any games with the exception of a few. There was always an odd exemption, however; if a game had trophies, I could sit there and enjoy it as I did those years back with no trouble. But upon obtaining the plat there was no more enjoyment to be sought after. Recently, I learned to accept that this was simply due to growing preference and taste. As there are still games I love and will willingly play with no outer incentive. Whatever I truly enjoy, I will go after. I no longer see much of a point in feeling guilty due to this. So what if trophies help me stay in a game? So what if my interests are more defined into a strict peak now? Am I not enjoying what I am currently into? That is what matters.

If I play a game due to the fact it has trophies, and enjoy playing it for that reason, even if it is the only reason I started it, then it is time well spent, in my opinion. Whatever you enjoy; do. I can relate to that one part of your story quite a bit. This is also where the guilt came from. I got the trophies because they were important to me, I played because it was important to me. I had actually devoted myself at one point to be top dawg, though that did not last long, as my passion for it did not quite extend that deep. It was important to me then to get every trophy I found, it was obsessive to do it for me. But interests change, so does what a person finds to be important. There are also many times with things you love where you will enter multiple stages of indifference, and going back to it later. Just like with learning an instrument. I like to see this as a growing stage to further develop yourself and your identity in the activities you so love taking part in. This is not a bad thing. Everyone reaches these points, some just stop completely. But what many seem to miss is just as there is a "stop or keep going", there is a "do whichever comes to you". Just as tons of others on the middle ground.

I understand your confusion completely, but just as I and many others have stated. You do not need to fall completely on one end. Unless this goes to the point of OCD, and you feel that unless you separate yourself from it you will not be able to contain yourself. And will just keep forcing yourself to do something you do not find enjoyment in anymore. I cannot say I never had something like this. Though that is a different topic for a different time. If this is the case, and you truly do feel there is no way around it, then all I can say is; try to cut it. Like with breaking an addiction. Limit yourself to some for a few weeks, then cut the amount by a quarter over the course of a month, and so on. There is no shame in it. You are your own person, and you are permitted the right to make your own choices. As well as keep and let go. Do not feel like you need to limit yourself like this.

I probably got a bit off-point, as the above paragraph was made entirely for the stated scenario in which you "were" addicted to it. But for now I am going to repeat myself a bit; do what comes to you. Whatever feels right to you, even if it is to completely quit it, I do not care. I will support you all the way despite. And I am certain many others here feel the same.

You said you have not played your DS for even half an hour in the time of which you have been off the PS3, but despite you do not miss it. Yet you still feel like you should. I am not certain if the cause is the same for you, nor if you could relate to my exact thoughts, but I used to have similar feelings. I could never figure out if it was due to pride, or just shame. Disappointment. It was that and many other things. The most notable being summed up like this; "If I do not feel an urge to go back, how can I tell myself I am a gamer? Doesn't this mean I am lying to myself? Where is all the attachment? Was it all for nothing?". My answer to these questions I made for myself was as follows; "I am a gamer because it is what I found piece of myself in. I cannot be lying to myself as the memories I have of it all are there, and I took full participation in the times of which I was interested. The attachment might be there, it might not be. But should I really be limiting my life based off obligations originating from pride? No, I should not. It was not for nothing. Gaming is, and always will be part of what made me who I am. Many of the greatest moments of my life were spent there. Many of the only people whom I truly see as my family were met there. Even if I never pick up another game in my life, this does not change. Does everything I did as a result fade away with time? No, those achievements are and always will be there. They will always be what started me on life. They are where part of me originated. If this is not enough to determine what can truly be called genuine in this time or no; then so be it.". Even if I stop getting trophies, even if I stop gaming, there is no denying the truth to this about myself. Gaming is not just a hobby, it is part of my identity. It is part of who I am. Even if it is something I never do again. It is and always will be me.

"Whatever route life finds you, embrace it. If it means falling off your old path, so be it. Just make sure you keep the moments, and then when you are ready to look back on them, make sure you can go and say "That was quite a ride"", can summarise this quite well, I think.

I apologise about getting into so many tangents. I was just trying to relate in the best way I could, whether I helped you or not with your current struggle, I do not know, but I do hope I at least contributed into your moving on from it. I am probably repeating myself here, but you have my and many others support whether you decide to stop trophies or not, or just stay in between. It is your choice. It is part of what defines you, do not let that fade off from you.

It is also very good to know this is becoming easier for you. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are among my favourite games, so it truly pleases me to know you enjoy them. Tell me, what difficulty are you on as of now?

No, I did not know that is what it meant, actually...Learn something new each day, I suppose. So um, ciao. :P

~Your fellow body of light, kin, and gamer - Neppy

I like this here reply. It's a good mix of words and spaces between them. With Guitar Hero, I loaded up GHII for an hour or so last night, everything was done on hard and 20 something of the 30 songs were done on expert, I can beat expert with no real effort for most songs (Damn you, Metallica's "One", you kill me every time) but I prefer to play on hard, it's challenging enough without it being annoying, like I was playing my other Rock Band I ordered (Don't know if I mentioned it, but I ordered Rock Band song packs 1 and 2 from eBay for less than 3 bones each, sweet deal) and hard mode seemed like easy to me. The previously mentioned unnamed girlfriend (nice title) asked me the other day to teach her how to be good at GH and I sounded like a right twat when I was like "You can't teach it, you just kind of get it for yourself" ... when I started, which I think was my first year of high school, I could barely make my way through a song on easy, but I kept at it and before long I literally spent most Friday nights at this youth group thing where me and the friend who got me into GH would obliterate all competition, then one week they tried to start talking about religion and that was the end of an otherwise fun time. After all these years, I'm kind of surprised how well my GHII guitar is holding together, I've gone through 2 Rock Band guitars and my drum set died years ago, though I belted the living crap out of that thing, I was good. Real good. Like the kind of guy who tapes themselves playing and puts it on YouTube kind of good.

So anyways, I've bought a few more Nintendo games, including a Spidey game which I'm thoroughly enjoying, and honestly, for now at least, I'm over trophies, just had a sesh of THPS 3 on the PS2 too, I think, for now at least, I'll stick with half and half between not caring at all about trophies and just plating the games I like, I might go finally plat Shatter Dimensions or something. Cheers for the replies, all.

• Like 1

I've had this too... And came to the conclusion that obsessively going after plats and magic 100%s --and deliberately avoiding games where they clearly won't be achievable --isn't an entirely healthy attitude towards gaming.

I solved it by creating a second PSN "knockabout" account (with an equally silly ID) which I use to roadtest games, and enjoy those which are ultimately beyond the boundaries of my skills and commitment. It's an account which I deliberately don't care about and can just walk away from, where all games in the trophy list are probably 0-5%.

Maybe do the same?  :)

Only go for trophies if you're also enjoying yourself and you'll be fine. If going for a particular trophy feels like a chore, then put the controller down, take the disc out, and move on. Thinking this way might have a bad effect on your completion checklist, but you'll be happier.

In fact, I think thinking this way will have a good effect on anyone's completion checklist -- what hurts it more is slogging through a game you don't like, trying to get grindy trophies just for the sake of completion, while you could be playing something you love AND earning trophies :).

What works for me is not caring about completion rate in general to be honest, but trying to plat/100% whatever I feel like playing at the moment. If I get distracted, I get distracted. Maybe I get back to plat it, maybe not. Just came back to plat FFXIII-2 after leaving it for a few months, and it was great -- I was bored with it, and would have hated it to plat it anyway at the time; when I got back to it, the plat was much more fun to get and I was glad I did it. Anyway, treat it as a hobby and try not to care much if you leave something unfinished.

Oh, another thing: when you put your mind on QUITTING something, you are just posing a challenge for yourself that you'll probably won't be able to do right away and will just feel frustrated. You could think more in terms of changing your habits/approach on the matter. Try to leave a game unfinished and not think about it. Play something you know you will be able to finish instead. If a particular game is too frustrating and you're not having fun, play something else to completion (or not). Try not to care so much and remember it's just a hobby that does not have any huge impact in your life.

Edited by fabmorais_2011

• 4 weeks later...

I like this here reply. It's a good mix of words and spaces between them. With Guitar Hero, I loaded up GHII for an hour or so last night, everything was done on hard and 20 something of the 30 songs were done on expert, I can beat expert with no real effort for most songs (Damn you, Metallica's "One", you kill me every time) but I prefer to play on hard, it's challenging enough without it being annoying, like I was playing my other Rock Band I ordered (Don't know if I mentioned it, but I ordered Rock Band song packs 1 and 2 from eBay for less than 3 bones each, sweet deal) and hard mode seemed like easy to me. The previously mentioned unnamed girlfriend (nice title) asked me the other day to teach her how to be good at GH and I sounded like a right twat when I was like "You can't teach it, you just kind of get it for yourself" ... when I started, which I think was my first year of high school, I could barely make my way through a song on easy, but I kept at it and before long I literally spent most Friday nights at this youth group thing where me and the friend who got me into GH would obliterate all competition, then one week they tried to start talking about religion and that was the end of an otherwise fun time. After all these years, I'm kind of surprised how well my GHII guitar is holding together, I've gone through 2 Rock Band guitars and my drum set died years ago, though I belted the living crap out of that thing, I was good. Real good. Like the kind of guy who tapes themselves playing and puts it on YouTube kind of good.

So anyways, I've bought a few more Nintendo games, including a Spidey game which I'm thoroughly enjoying, and honestly, for now at least, I'm over trophies, just had a sesh of THPS 3 on the PS2 too, I think, for now at least, I'll stick with half and half between not caring at all about trophies and just plating the games I like, I might go finally plat Shatter Dimensions or something. Cheers for the replies, all.

I see. I personally never exactly liked GHII (Excuse all "true" GH fans). The engine always felt off to me. Kind of curious, though, are you sure you did not mean GHIII? By my knowledge, One was never put into GHII, unless of course you put it in as a custom song.

Since you stated how you started with it, may as well state how I did. Not very often I can have discussion like this on the things I enjoy participating. Even more so since you are among the only people I know who like long-detailed messages. :awesome: Anyways, I had first "seen" GH when my oldest brother came to stay here for the Winter. He bought it with him and I let him install and play it on my PS3. He and another family member really got into it. It was GH5 if I remember correctly. First time I tried I ended up laughed at, failing on Medium on a few simple chords due to bad finger placement. I think it was about a week later I seriously started playing. Me and my father had sat there watching him pass Scatterbrain on Medium, I was quite mesmerised you could say. "Wow, that looks so fast ;0". Later that night I got on after everyone was asleep, determined to get better and impress onii-chan. I think I had played about two or three hours before I had went to bed. I managed to do Scatter pretty well on Easy. The next day, I learned to adjust to Medium whilst everyone was out shopping. I had showed my brother when he had gotten back, sadly, instead of being impressed, he seemed completely uninterested. Afterwards he never played again...I guess I can see why. 6 months of effort and then his younger brother/sister surpasses him in a night. Later that day I tried Expert, but before that I checked the tutorial for finger placement. So I did not have much trouble adjusting after learning Medium. This was so long ago, funny I can remember it all. It has been well over 6 years since then. Interesting looking back. I used to find some tenth tiers hard on Medium, and some songs such as TTFAF I struggled passing on Expert. Yet six years later, I am so skilled at the game I find most setlist songs too dull, also no longer fun to play due to playing them so much. Which is entirely why I moved to PC for customs. I would probably be a whole lot better if I constantly stuck to it though. I had two periods where I just stopped playing for one or two years. Most of my progress happened in the past one-and-a-half. 

I have had many GH guitars...About six, I believe. A few that were for GHIII, one for GHII, two for GH: WoR, two for GH5... Oh, wait, that is eight guitars. My only drum kit ended up with a severe sensitivity fault, so it rendered it unplayable. Sad as I enjoyed it so much. Fury of the Storm and some other song were my favourites to play on it. Now, concerning RB...I would have stuck to RB, the engine is pretty nice. But the main reason I chose GHIII PC over it was the aesthetics. Yes, the notes. :/ Never had a guitar or any instrument specified for RB, I only used my GH guitar for it.

Sorry if the first bit came off as a bit braggy. I can assure you that was not my intention. I was just trying to share my experience with it.

Very good to know you have gotten past it and decided how you'd go with it. I am assuming you are really enjoying the Nintendo games? Only things I have from Nintendo are a Wii (Had about three of them), DS, a 3DS, and a 3DS XL. I spent hundreds of hours on that Wii and DS...And just so I do not forget to ask, which Spidey game? Only one I have ever played was a kids game on PC when I was little. xD It is also very nice to hear your new stance on trophies. Truly delightful to hear. I think I may use this mood as an opportunity to finish up the work I have been procrastinating in the typing of this message. I look forward to seeing you around the forums, Spidey. And I do hope you are enjoying your time away from trophies. <3

Edited by Nepgear2
  • Like 1

Trophies are just an added value for games. 

I've been a OCD completionist since N64 when i was 10, and trophies are just an evolution of completing a game. I personally don't care about getting trophies for the sake of continuously increasing my PSN level or my total of trophies earned, I just care about the single games I complete and I simply like that feeling when I get that platinum/100% especially for a game I loved and had a really nice time with.

• Like 1

I see. I personally never exactly liked GHII (Excuse all "true" GH fans). The engine always felt off to me. Kind of curious, though, are you sure you did not mean GHIII? By my knowledge, One was never put into GHII, unless of course you put it in as a custom song.

Since you stated how you started with it, may as well state how I did. Not very often I can have discussion like this on the things I enjoy participating. Even more so since you are among the only people I know who like long-detailed messages. :awesome: Anyways, I had first "seen" GH when my oldest brother came to stay here for the Winter. He bought it with him and I let him install and play it on my PS3. He and another family member really got into it. It was GH5 if I remember correctly. First time I tried I ended up laughed at, failing on Medium on a few simple chords due to bad finger placement. I think it was about a week later I seriously started playing. Me and my father had sat there watching him pass Scatterbrain on Medium, I was quite mesmerised you could say. "Wow, that looks so fast ;0". Later that night I got on after everyone was asleep, determined to get better and impress onii-chan. I think I had played about two or three hours before I had went to bed. I managed to do Scatter pretty well on Easy. The next day, I learned to adjust to Medium whilst everyone was out shopping. I had showed my brother when he had gotten back, sadly, instead of being impressed, he seemed completely uninterested. Afterwards he never played again...I guess I can see why. 6 months of effort and then his younger brother/sister surpasses him in a night. Later that day I tried Expert, but before that I checked the tutorial for finger placement. So I did not have much trouble adjusting after learning Medium. This was so long ago, funny I can remember it all. It has been well over 6 years since then. Interesting looking back. I used to find some tenth tiers hard on Medium, and some songs such as TTFAF I struggled passing on Expert. Yet six years later, I am so skilled at the game I find most setlist songs too dull, also no longer fun to play due to playing them so much. Which is entirely why I moved to PC for customs. I would probably be a whole lot better if I constantly stuck to it though. I had two periods where I just stopped playing for one or two years. Most of my progress happened in the past one-and-a-half. 

I have had many GH guitars...About six, I believe. A few that were for GHIII, one for GHII, two for GH: WoR, two for GH5... Oh, wait, that is eight guitars. My only drum kit ended up with a severe sensitivity fault, so it rendered it unplayable. Sad as I enjoyed it so much. Fury of the Storm and some other song were my favourites to play on it. Now, concerning RB...I would have stuck to RB, the engine is pretty nice. But the main reason I chose GHIII PC over it was the aesthetics. Yes, the notes. :/ Never had a guitar or any instrument specified for RB, I only used my GH guitar for it.

Sorry if the first bit came off as a bit braggy. I can assure you that was not my intention. I was just trying to share my experience with it.

Very good to know you have gotten past it and decided how you'd go with it. I am assuming you are really enjoying the Nintendo games? Only things I have from Nintendo are a Wii (Had about three of them), DS, a 3DS, and a 3DS XL. I spent hundreds of hours on that Wii and DS...And just so I do not forget to ask, which Spidey game? Only one I have ever played was a kids game on PC when I was little. xD It is also very nice to hear your new stance on trophies. Truly delightful to hear. I think I may use this mood as an opportunity to finish up the work I have been procrastinating in the typing of this message. I look forward to seeing you around the forums, Spidey. And I do hope you are enjoying your time away from trophies. <3

I don't have a long reply to this, but I read and enjoyed the whole thing, I like hearing other peoples happy things in relation to things I also like. That's a good sentence.

With One, yeah, it's only on GH III, that's my fault there, I meant I was playing GH II, then went on about how I can beat most songs (in the series) on expert, except things like One, which is from GH III...though you knowing that off the top of your head is pretty impressive, if I remember a song being in GH I can usually remember which one it was from but there's a fair few like More Than a Feeling, and I'm like "I think that's from GH III, but it could have been 80s, I don't know" and then I stop thinking about it and play all of them until I find the song, 3 hours later I usually forgot what song I was after anyway.

Due to your proficiency in virtual instruments, you should hit me up sometime if / when you get Rock Band 4 for PS4. I hate playing online with people most of the time, but that's usually got a decent bit to do with their skill level and / or that they're strangers, you're a cool cat and you're good at fake guitaring, and since (at least I think) no one I know will buy it, doesn't help I'm the only person I know with a PS4, then I'll need to either play with myself (which is 99.9999998% of my GH / RB time anyway) or go online looking for other guitar heroes.

And as long as I actually am making a post of decent length, do you think the plural of Guitar Hero, as a game series, should be Guitar Heros, or Guitar Heroes? If there's more than one hero of something, it's heroes, obviously, but as it's the plural of a name of something, do you just put an S at the end?

As for trophies, I used to be on here every day, and playing games (usually for trophies) at least a few hours every day, I just got your reply now, like 2 or 3 days after you sent it, so that's a good sign. I've barely played anything on PlayStation since a bit over a month ago. I bought Sonic the Fighters on sale a short while back and beat that as I was curious as to why the hell Sonic was punching the other people, I played the new Call of Duty that someone threw at me, didn't play it a second after the campaign though so that's good, no trophy hunting there, and I actually can't remember anything else I've played on PlayStation.

In getting away from PS (which is an entirely coincidental side effect of quitting trophies and in no way my intention), I've played way more Mario Kart than I thought I would in my entire life, MK7 & 8 are so much fun, and they're great for local co-op, not too long ago I'd be looking for games that me and the girlfriend could play together and most of them either sucked or were single player only, or online only which is even worse, Nintendo have the local multiplayer thing way beaten. If MK8 allowed us to have separate screens for racing though, it would be perfect. Speaking of separate screens, we've spent nearly a full 24 hour day playing online Call of Duty on the Wii U together, I take the gamepad and she uses her Wiimote thing and it's awesome. We've also gotten the Bayonetta double pack but not touched it yet, loved the first one on PS3. There's a fair few Wii U games we've not touched yet, but I'm chewing my way through my DS/3DS "library" ... After fighting the urge to buy a Nintendo card to buy Sonic 1 on the 3DS, I ran into Sonic Generations for 10 bucks and grabbed it, it's not the same but it looks gorgeous, picked up Super Street Fighter IV for the 3DS and though I'm not super into fighting games, this one is so good. Nabbed NES Remix for a cool 23, spent like 7 hours on it when I got it before realizing "Hmm, it's nearly midnight, I should sleep soon". Mario Kart 7, obviously, is amazing. I picked up Spy Hunter despite platinuming it on PS Vita a year or so back, that's pretty fun. Driver 3DS is actually so much better than I thought it would be, well worth 10 bucks. Resident Evil Revelations isn't grabbing me that much but for the 3DS it looks so pretty. There's around another 20 or so games I've not mentioned that I picked up on the cheap, most I think I've paid for a 3DS game is 23 for NES. The games, mostly, are decent value too.

In those 20, there's 5 Spidey games, and I'd have bought more of them, except I ain't paying 20 bucks for a preowned DS cart of Web of Shadows, especially when I clocked it years ago on my R4...The Spidey games are very hit and miss I've found, for Nintendo anyways. On DS, I've got Shattered Dimensions, which is a well made and ridiculously fun platformer that actually makes you think every now and then, but even still I beat it in a bit under 3 hours. Friend or Foe on DS, which I don't care about and have on Wii and PSP anyway, I don't know that one yet. Then there's Amazing 3DS, which is a straight up port of the level based missions of the PS3/360/all that, version, with terrible graphics, but it's pretty fun, took about 9 hours to 100% it. Edge of Time 3DS is a full on port of the PS3 game, which I loved, and it plays great. I could go into more detail, but I have to go do something now, so I might come back and "review" them all, I might not. Who knows. Good day sir!

Yeah mate, I can definitely understand your situation. I've felt the exact same stuff in terms of feeling like playing a 'non trophy' game was a waste, and feeling like I had to 100% and platinum everything.

Something that really helped me is to do as others on this topic have suggested as well, which is to focus on having fun first and foremost; and then going for the platinum on games you really enjoy but not forcing yourself to go for ones you don't. Since I changed my mindset to this, I've enjoyed my gaming much more, and still got a lot out of it.

Wishing you all the best mate!

• Like 1