The Metalhead Thread

BeautifulTorment

I like all kinds of music, but my favorite broad genre is metal. I probably couldn't identify most metal bands by their sub-genre, and it doesn't really matter to me. What matters to me is, do I like it when I hear it? And I'm sure by now I'm not going to grow out of it. My introduction to metal was back in the late '80s when one of the guys that rode the school bus with me was kind enough to lend me his Slayer and Metallica tapes :D

It wasn't until last year, just before I turned 40, that I finally took myself to a metal concert, which was the first concert I'd been to since The Cure in '92 and a classical concert in the mid-00s. And within a year, I had seen all these bands live:

Stone Sour (twice), In This Moment, Hell Or Highwater, Korn, Device, Love & Death, Killswitch Engage (twice), Miss May I, Darkest Hour (twice), The Word Alive, Affiance, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Animals As Leaders, Periphery, Norma Jean, Cattle Decapitation, The Ocean, Revocation, Aeon, Rings of Saturn, Thy Art Is Murder, Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals, Lamb of God, Slayer, Gojira, 4ARM, Pig Destroyer, Black Clouds, Chelsea Grin, Falling In Reverse (wasn't crazy about them but they do put on a decent show), Amon Amarth (twice), Enslaved, Skeletonwitch, Black Label Society, Ghost, King Dude, Primus, Down, Devil You Know, Rob Zombie (twice), Scar The Martyr, Pop Evil, Battlecross, Five Finger Death Punch, Mastodon, Huntress (twice), Butcher Babies (twice), Born of Osiris, Motionless In White, Attika 7, City In The Sea, Children of Bodom, Testament, Megadeth, Nonpoint, Fear Factory... I may be forgetting a few..

Not saying I loved every single one of them, but I had a kick-ass year, when I think back on it!

(I really want to see Slipknot on their upcoming tour, but I don't know yet if it's going to happen...)

• Like 2

I like all kinds of music, but my favorite broad genre is metal. I probably couldn't identify most metal bands by their sub-genre, and it doesn't really matter to me. What matters to me is, do I like it when I hear it? And I'm sure by now I'm not going to grow out of it. My introduction to metal was back in the late '80s when one of the guys that rode the school bus with me was kind enough to lend me his Slayer and Metallica tapes :D

It wasn't until last year, just before I turned 40, that I finally took myself to a metal concert, which was the first concert I'd been to since The Cure in '92 and a classical concert in the mid-00s. And within a year, I had seen all these bands live:

Stone Sour (twice), In This Moment, Hell Or Highwater, Korn, Device, Love & Death, Killswitch Engage (twice), Miss May I, Darkest Hour (twice), The Word Alive, Affiance, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Animals As Leaders, Periphery, Norma Jean, Cattle Decapitation, The Ocean, Revocation, Aeon, Rings of Saturn, Thy Art Is Murder, Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals, Lamb of God, Slayer, Gojira, 4ARM, Pig Destroyer, Black Clouds, Chelsea Grin, Falling In Reverse (wasn't crazy about them but they do put on a decent show), Amon Amarth (twice), Enslaved, Skeletonwitch, Black Label Society, Ghost, King Dude, Primus, Down, Devil You Know, Rob Zombie (twice), Scar The Martyr, Pop Evil, Battlecross, Five Finger Death Punch, Mastodon, Huntress (twice), Butcher Babies (twice), Born of Osiris, Motionless In White, Attika 7, City In The Sea, Children of Bodom, Testament, Megadeth, Nonpoint, Fear Factory... I may be forgetting a few..

Not saying I loved every single one of them, but I had a kick-ass year, when I think back on it!

(I really want to see Slipknot on their upcoming tour, but I don't know yet if it's going to happen...)

Nice! I personally cannot even begin to list all the bands I love or have seen. It is in the upper hundreds, if not thousands. xD Really good stuff you listed. I like your taste.

• Like 1

This is going to be far out of the ordinary for me, but for some reason this album really grew on me. Despite it being in my least explored genre.

It is a surprisingly good Black Metal album I stumbled across. I never really got too into Black Metal, as I normally disregarded it as senseless screaming. This proved me wrong though.

I absolutely love the riff starting at 0:48 and in other areas.

This Old Man by Warrel Dane

All 80's Metal fans should know this one. :)

• Like 1

I'm primarily an old school metal head, even though the "classic rock" genre is my favorite.

Guys like Dio, Rainbow, Led Zeppelin, and Judas Priest, are among my favorites, I will also listen to a range of bands like Running WIld, Yngwie Malmsteen, Accept, King Diamond, Iced Earth, and Savatage.

• Like 2

I'm primarily an old school metal head, even though the "classic rock" genre is my favorite.

Guys like Dio, Rainbow, Led Zeppelin, and Judas Priest, are among my favorites, I will also listen to a range of bands like Running WIld, Yngwie Malmsteen, Accept, King Diamond, Iced Earth, and Savatage.

Savatage is great ;)

Eagerly looking forward to the upcoming At The Gates gig next month! Not sure if I support the whole idea of them making a new album after all these years since they pretty much gave everything they can give the genre. Still, hope I'll hear some old killers as well. Seen them once before.

Eagerly looking forward to the upcoming At The Gates gig next month! Not sure if I support the whole idea of them making a new album after all these years since they pretty much gave everything they can give the genre. Still, hope I'll hear some old killers as well. Seen them once before.

Nice! Love At The Gates. Sadly I haven't seen any of their shows though. :/

Time for some Nu-Metal.

http://youtu.be/_YxbQDjYnpA?list=PL3A6B3207DEF1D74A

It's a rather new song, still like it nonetheless.

Now for some Shadows Fall. :)

I really love this song, the speed, that chorus.

This is among my favorites by them, and everyone here probably knows why.

http://youtu.be/4_s7PUeTsM0

Here's one more that I like. Tis' a really nice instrumental. And I hope you like it too~

http://youtu.be/h0xLgdH0dP8?list=PL9ffPEPnSeZZOgkRKGbF2yoroo5JgYHy1

Also, I have been looking into quite a bit of Black Metal lately. The stuff I'm coming across I actually like, surprisingly. (No, I am not a Satanist)

Slightly haunting at points, also love the guitar and drums, which I seem to like in most Black Metal.

I would have posted Avskum - The Significance, that doesn't seem to be find-able other than through MP3 download.....

Edited by Nepgear2

Nice! Love At The Gates. Sadly I haven't seen any of their shows though. :/

Yeah, they're pretty intense live. I've seen them on a festival gig and next month it's gonna be a club gig so I guess it's gonna be awesome. I've seen the Björler brothers live with The Haunted on a club and that whole gig was pure aggression. Waiting for a similar experience.

Yeah, they're pretty intense live. I've seen them on a festival gig and next month it's gonna be a club gig so I guess it's gonna be awesome. I've seen the Björler brothers live with The Haunted on a club and that whole gig was pure aggression. Waiting for a similar experience.

Cool, I hope it turns out good for you. When you said intense I sorta thought of Overkill, such..... Tense concerts.

Cool, I hope it turns out good for you. When you said intense I sorta thought of Overkill, such..... Tense concerts.

Never seen Overkill but I guess there are different ways to do an intense live gig. Seen Iron Maiden twice and both times I was amazed how those guys still have the energy to keep that much of a movement on stage at that age. At The Gates guys really don't move a leg too much but their playing is accurate, fast and aggressive yet still groovy just like on record.

Cool! Overkill's is more super aggressive, about 50% faster played than the original recording, and something about their expression and attitude just goes along with the song so well. It gets you so immersed in it. Still accurate and good sounding too. Lawl. Always wanted to meet a band who never moved much live, now I know.

• Like 1

Anyone here like Cradle of Filth? Their old stuff used was really quite good, and then they went waaaaaaaay downhill. But their concept album about Gilles De Rais was a huge step in the right direction for me. Have they released anything worthwhile lately?

I used to like their elder stuff when i was in my teens esp Midian which i still consider an amazing album

OT: I'm Into a lot of Metal, Fav Thrash Artists Kreator and Slayer but i mainly listen to death metal or blackened death metal now, a band i always recommend are Fleshgod Apocalypse, italian band which fuse death metal with Classical Music

Do we have any Behemoth or Belphegor fans?

I used to like their elder stuff when i was in my teens esp Midian which i still consider an amazing album

OT: I'm Into a lot of Metal, Fav Thrash Artists Kreator and Slayer but i mainly listen to death metal or blackened death metal now, a band i always recommend are Fleshgod Apocalypse, italian band which fuse death metal with Classical Music

Do we have any Behemoth or Belphegor fans?

The Polish Death Metal band? Oh, then yes. :)

I just looked up Belphogor, as I hadn't heard their stuff before now. First song I click and I laready like it.

http://youtu.be/gkSOpmchJiM  :D

Wicked, nice to meet a fellow behemoth fan, I love behemoth, going to see them in december. Belphegor have some excellent albums, bondage goat zombie is one of my favs. If you like stuff like that give Agruss a try, death metal band from Ukraine, they only have one album so far called morok but it's epic especially the song Ashes of the future

• Like 1

Wicked, nice to meet a fellow behemoth fan, I love behemoth, going to see them in december. Belphegor have some excellent albums, bondage goat zombie is one of my favs. If you like stuff like that give Agruss a try, death metal band from Ukraine, they only have one album so far called morok but it's epic especially the song Ashes of the future

I saw Behemoth live a long time ago, like 5 or 6 years. Was a really good show. Actually I think Belphegor was with them or sidelining another show I saw around that time. Very enjoyable shows :D

I saw Behemoth live a long time ago, like 5 or 6 years. Was a really good show. Actually I think Belphegor was with them or sidelining another show I saw around that time. Very enjoyable shows :D[/quote

That's ace, I imagine they would put on a good show, I can't wait to see them. I've even convinced the wife to come along to it....she hates metal but she's polish so has a soft spot for them ha ha