Review roundup

StrickenBiged

It's been reported that the game uses the same QTE fight in chapter 4 in the final. 

I'm happy to know RAD can create an interesting IP but this was bad on their part. I do hope this isn't a recurring thing in the late half of this generation. If this game was release at the same time of RYSE, it wouldn't be a problem but I'll wait. 

Edited by Bear

Anyone who gave this game more than a 6.5 has to have been payed off. The game is garbage. Shiny, amazing looking garbage. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for this lineal 1 playthrough cover shooter.

Is your opinion based on playing the game?

It's been reported that the game uses the same QTE fight in chapter 4 in the final. 

Another spoiler warning, but the Escapist is reporting that

it is exactly the same QTE sequence, the only difference is that the final boss is a vampire, not a werewolf, and so has a slightly different character model... 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/12996-5-Ways-to-Fix-PS4-Exclusive-The-Order-1886.2 - see the first para on this page.

Edited by StrickenBiged

I love that the people giving this low scores for lack of gameplay, are the same people that will give Telltale games a 10/10. I'm not trying to defend The Order, but have some consistency in your reviews.

They seem to split it up and say "Gameplay is the most important part, too many QTEs. 5/10 It should be a movie." Then, for Walking Dead it's " Gameplay is almost all QTEs, but who cares I like the story, 10/10 GOTY."

I think it depends.

The major difference I think you're missing, and I admit I am relying on the reviews of The Order: 1886 here and I have not played it, is that the Walking Dead games gave you agency in the story. OK, so a lot of the apparently branching paths in The Walking Dead turned out to be smoke and mirrors when you went back for a second playthrough to see what you missed, but at least there was some replay value in the game. Also, TWD used timers at the bottom of the screen to push the story regardless of whether you reacted or not. You got the sense that you were a character in a larger world, where the other characters would carry on without you if you didn't want to interact at that precise moment in time.

All the reviewers of The Order seem to suggest that the only agency you have is "which one of these bad guys am I going to shoot first". One reviewer, I forget which site, even pointed out that there's a QTE fight where you're required to break a guys arm to end the fight. But if you don't press the button, nothing happens, your character just stands there, holding an enemy up against the wall. The game apparently just waits for you to do as you're told. 

In The Walking Dead, there would have been a timer at the bottom of the screen. If you didn't break the guy's arm in time then the person you're fighting would've reacted and turned the tables on you. 

I love that the people giving this low scores for lack of gameplay, are the same people that will give Telltale games a 10/10. I'm not trying to defend The Order, but have some consistency in your reviews.

They seem to split it up and say "Gameplay is the most important part, too many QTEs. 5/10 It should be a movie." Then, for Walking Dead it's " Gameplay is almost all QTEs, but who cares I like the story, 10/10 GOTY."

The reviewers know what they're getting with TWD, where as TO was a bit of a mixed bag. 

it is exactly the same QTE sequence, the only difference is that the final boss is a vampire, not a werewolf, and so has a slightly different character model... 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/12996-5-Ways-to-Fix-PS4-Exclusive-The-Order-1886.2 - see the first para on this page.

At the end of the day, we know RAD can make a PS4 game but it seems they first attempt wasn't a home run for some. The escapist brings up some good points. Anyway we will know it these points matter by the end of next month. 

the game is a 9 or 10!!!!! The people just want to bash it!! I mean from a 5 to a 9.5 its a witch hunt!!! IGN never liked the game from the get go!! Ign can go F themselves! They bashed the game from day one never like it!! IGN gives assassin creed higher and ALL THE BUGS IN THE WORLD!! That is laughable!!! THEY ARE A JOKE!!! IM done with IGN just deletled my app! People should banned them right now!!!!!!!!!!!

Based on these reviews, I think I'll Order it when it's £18.86...

*Grabs coat*

Maybe they loved the length of the order because they couldn't stand it any more and were grateful that it ended?

You get a plus 1 for that point( although they seemed to have not completely hated it that much based on their "round table") and another for the joke.

I think the problem here is we (the gamers) may be expecting too much from the new gen. 

In some ways, it may even be our fault these games are flops in the first place. We demand and demand for games to come out and companies feel pressure to release them now. Therefore, potential high-quality games are rushed and become just... mediocre and underwhelming and then we complain that the game sucks, even though we wanted the game now. Then, we either return the game or don't buy it at all after reading the reviews and the company loses money and have to slash the prices to try and break even and don't have the funds to make a high quality game anymore.  Maybe we are the problem.

Over-hype is definitely a factor in most "high-profile" games, especially this gen. For example, Watch_Dogs. I went into the game thinking it was basically Assassin's Creed but with guns and cars, ended up loving it (yes, Watch_Dogs was one of my favorite games of 2014, sue me). I credit that to me not having any hype other than "I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this game from what I've seen". I really don't know what the hell people were expecting from it, nor what warranted such massive hype for that game.

People need to tone down the hype for all these supposed AAA games. It's not really the game's fault you fell for their advertising, that just shows they were successful with their hook.

Edited by Death_Ninja

No, it's based on seeing a complete playthrough of the game. But this game has so many cutsceens that it's pretty much like playing it. The game has more cutsceens than gameplay time.

I think the problem here is we (the gamers) may be expecting too much from the new gen. Look at the quality of games from the beginning of the PS3 life to the end of the generation. You can't tell me PS3 games haven't improved over time. I mean, just compare Uncharted with Uncharted 3... world of a difference IMO. It'll be the same with the new systems. As companies figure out how the new hardware works, games will get better. We should expect games to be flops at the beginning. It happens.

In some ways, it may even be our fault these games are flops in the first place. We demand and demand for games to come out and companies feel pressure to release them now. Therefore, potential high-quality games are rushed and become just... mediocre and underwhelming and then we complain that the game sucks, even though we wanted the game now. Then, we either return the game or don't buy it at all after reading the reviews and the company loses money and have to slash the prices to try and break even and don't have the funds to make a high quality game anymore.  Maybe we are the problem.

Now, if this trend continues for the next 3-4 years, then I think we have the serious problem you alluded to.

The points you make aren't unreasonable...I just don't agree with most of them.  I don't think gamers are expecting too much, I would speculate that all gamers want is games that release in a playable state, preferably fully working (some leeway will always be given for unexpected glitches & bugs etc...);  entertainment...isn't that what the industry is about?; and value for their hard earned 'buck'...games aren't cheap (big releases anyway).  Is that really too much to ask for?

The PS4 architecture was built with the input from industry devs themselves, it's pretty standard fare compared to the complexity of the PS3.  in effect it's much easier to work with.  That said, games will always flop and/or disappoint, I agree with that, but so much of this gen has been disappointing, and remember most of these AAA devs/publishers have now been in the industry for years/decades...they should know their way around a worthy product...I can't see the onus is on us gamers for mediocre products.

You say it 'might' be our fault because we're so demanding and the big companies feel the pressure of deadlines and releasing games in whatever state, but the truth is, any number of these releases have suffered long and numerous delays...The Order was delayed itself, some games for over a year...some we've yet to see!   Point being, we're not getting these games now, we're waiting and waiting and yet many of these games still release in a messy state, or leave us scratching our heads as to what exactly the devs have been doing for a year?!   And the companies that do release regularly, aren't really doing it because we demand, but for big profits on hyped up games, like COD, Battlefield...I'd add Assassins Creed now too, successful franchises that have turned into run of the mill production line, stagnant, mediocrity...they can't release these games fast enough, not because we demand they do, but because they know people will buy them...again, and again, and again...if we're guilty of something it's falling for it every time.   If companies truly listened to our demands then the PS4 line up would likely be vastly different from what it is now.   Sizeable fan bases have been asking for years for new instalments in old franchises, or remakes or reboots, or even sequels to recent games...all of which have gone unheard.  FFVII remake?  Dead Space 4?  New Jak & Dax?  Crash?  Resistance?  Monster Hunter?  Dragons Dogma 2?  Fallout 4?   Where are all these games if we're so demanding and all these companies are wilting under the pressure?  I'm sure we could all name many more...

Companies are losing money, or the ones that do, simply because they are releasing sub-par products, they are not listening to gamers, hence why so many have been quick to jump on The Order and it hours of cut scenes, QTEs and general lack of actual gameplay.  I don't know many (any) gamers that asked for that.  Someone made comparison with TellTale games, well, yeah, I get that, but that's what TellTale games are, cut scene QTE games, if it's not for you then don't buy it, but their games don't allude to be anything else, unlike The Order which is supposed to be a 3rd person shooter/action adventure...and I guess that's where hype comes in.   Someone else said we shouldn't get so hyped for games, but we only get hyped because companies are spending more time marketing their games than producing a quality experience...Destiny?   And it's false advertising too, games running on top end PCs that'll never look like that on PS4, elements of games that aren't in the finished product, devs talking about cutting edge innovation that turns out to be complete gibberish, withholding their products from reviewers until after release...because they know that when we know...the game won't sell.

I'm sure as gamers we are guilty of a few things, namely falling for hype and buying (literally) into some unsavoury practices these big companies have developed, but to say it's our fault that these companies are producing poor quality games?  I'm sorry, I just can't agree with that.  Again, your points aren't unreasonable, and they may be true specifically, but as a whole, no.   I don't grudge devs/publishers making a living, but when they start churning out generic, hyped, cash grabbing...all we care about is the profits, games...then that's on them, not us!

• Like 3

You get a plus 1 for that point( although they seemed to have not completely hated it that much based on their "round table") and another for the joke.

They were both intended as jokes. ;)

A very negative review from the Metro: http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/19/the-order-1886-review-victorian-folly-5069748/

They gave it 4/10 but say that they wished they could have given it a lower score, but felt they couldn't based on the fact that it works exactly as intended.

No, it's based on seeing a complete playthrough of the game. But this game has so many cutsceens that it's pretty much like playing it. The game has more cutsceens than gameplay time.

Oh, cool. I was just asking. I haven't watched the playthroughs yet, but I don't think I'll bother having read a number of reviews. If it was an apparently boring game, I doubt it'll make a better viewing experience. Just in case the game ever graces my PS4, I'd rather not have it completely spoiled.

The points you make aren't unreasonable...I just don't agree with most of them.  I don't think gamers are expecting too much, I would speculate that all gamers want is games that release in a playable state, preferably fully working (some leeway will always be given for unexpected glitches & bugs etc...);  entertainment...isn't that what the industry is about?; and value for their hard earned 'buck'...games aren't cheap (big releases anyway).  Is that really too much to ask for?

The PS4 architecture was built with the input from industry devs themselves, it's pretty standard fare compared to the complexity of the PS3.  in effect it's much easier to work with.  That said, games will always flop and/or disappoint, I agree with that, but so much of this gen has been disappointing, and remember most of these AAA devs/publishers have now been in the industry for years/decades...they should know their way around a worthy product...I can't see the onus is on us gamers for mediocre products.

You say it 'might' be our fault because we're so demanding and the big companies feel the pressure of deadlines and releasing games in whatever state, but the truth is, any number of these releases have suffered long and numerous delays...The Order was delayed itself, some games for over a year...some we've yet to see!   Point being, we're not getting these games now, we're waiting and waiting and yet many of these games still release in a messy state, or leave us scratching our heads as to what exactly the devs have been doing for a year?!   And the companies that do release regularly, aren't really doing it because we demand, but for big profits on hyped up games, like COD, Battlefield...I'd add Assassins Creed now too, successful franchises that have turned into run of the mill production line, stagnant, mediocrity...they can't release these games fast enough, not because we demand they do, but because they know people will buy them...again, and again, and again...if we're guilty of something it's falling for it every time.   If companies truly listened to our demands then the PS4 line up would likely be vastly different from what it is now.   Sizeable fan bases have been asking for years for new instalments in old franchises, or remakes or reboots, or even sequels to recent games...all of which have gone unheard.  FFVII remake?  Dead Space 4?  New Jak & Dax?  Crash?  Resistance?  Monster Hunter?  Dragons Dogma 2?  Fallout 4?   Where are all these games if we're so demanding and all these companies are wilting under the pressure?  I'm sure we could all name many more...

Companies are losing money, or the ones that do, simply because they are releasing sub-par products, they are not listening to gamers, hence why so many have been quick to jump on The Order and it hours of cut scenes, QTEs and general lack of actual gameplay.  I don't know many (any) gamers that asked for that.  Someone made comparison with TellTale games, well, yeah, I get that, but that's what TellTale games are, cut scene QTE games, if it's not for you then don't buy it, but their games don't allude to be anything else, unlike The Order which is supposed to be a 3rd person shooter/action adventure...and I guess that's where hype comes in.   Someone else said we shouldn't get so hyped for games, but we only get hyped because companies are spending more time marketing their games than producing a quality experience...Destiny?   And it's false advertising too, games running on top end PCs that'll never look like that on PS4, elements of games that aren't in the finished product, devs talking about cutting edge innovation that turns out to be complete gibberish, withholding their products from reviewers until after release...because they know that when we know...the game won't sell.

I'm sure as gamers we are guilty of a few things, namely falling for hype and buying (literally) into some unsavoury practices these big companies have developed, but to say it's our fault that these companies are producing poor quality games?  I'm sorry, I just can't agree with that.  Again, your points aren't unreasonable, and they may be true specifically, but as a whole, no.   I don't grudge devs/publishers making a living, but when they start churning out generic, hyped, cash grabbing...all we care about is the profits, games...then that's on them, not us!

Like I said at the very beginning of my post, the glitches and server problems are unacceptable, esp. for AAA companies. But once again, this could be caused by the pressure to release games and don't go through proper game testing.

I think some of it is that companies have huge ambitions and promise features they can't deliver on (yet). In time though, they'll figure out the new hardware and unsurprisingly, it's not an easy thing to do. In fact, I remember reading that Remaking The Last of Us was a "nightmare" and that's coming from arguably the best of the best in the industry.

Even with all the flops and negative criticism towards these early gen games, I still have high hopes for the rest of 2015 ;)

Like I said at the very beginning of my post, the glitches and server problems are unacceptable, esp. for AAA companies. But once again, this could be caused by the pressure to release games and don't go through proper game testing.

I think some of it is that companies have huge ambitions and promise features they can't deliver on (yet). In time though, they'll figure out the new hardware and unsurprisingly, it's not an easy thing to do. In fact, I remember reading that Remaking The Last of Us was a "nightmare" and that's coming from arguably the best of the best in the industry.

Even with all the flops and negative criticism towards these early gen games, I still have high hopes for the rest of 2015 ;)

I'd maintain though that any pressure felt to release a game is due to internal reasons, usually the 'bottom line', than anything to do with consumer desire.   Companies will release when it suits them, not us.

I have no doubt that producing games isn't easy work, but it is fairly well established that the PS4 hardware is more approachable for devs than that of the PS3.   I think you are correct on ambitions and promises and an unfortunate failure to deliver them...some are likely well intentioned...whereas others I'd wager are deliberately misleading and fall into that hype category.

Yeah, it's not all negative though, some great games on the PS4 already, just seems to be a touch (extra) of the cash grab culture from the industry heavyweights which isn't doing anyone any favours.  Still, I'm optimistic myself.  :)

As usual, don't look at review scores, but look at the actual review. A negative review score can be based on something you don't mind at all, and likewise, a good review score can be based on something you don't think matter at all and the game lacks in the departments you think is important. I'm probably not going to pick this game up before in a year when I bet it's going to be dirt cheap, but that's what I said long before the game was released.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

As usual, don't look at review scores, but look at the actual review. A negative review score can be based on something you don't mind at all, and likewise, a good review score can be based on something you don't think matter at all and the game lacks in the departments you think is important. I'm probably not going to pick this game up before in a year when I bet it's going to be dirt cheap, but that's what I said long before the game was released.

I totally agree with that. Scores serve a purpose, but if they're the only thing you read then you're missing all the context. 

On another note, I think I've found the first bit of reaction from Ready at Dawn to the bad reviews. It's here on Eurogamer Portuguese, so you'll have to use Google translate (and I'm sure some of the nuance might be lost by doing so). The jist of what they're saying is clear though: perhaps it was our fault for not communicating our vision for the game.

I think that's hogwash personally. The implication of what this guy says is "if you review it on our terms, then you'll come to a different conclusion". Bullsh*t. Sorry, but my gut reaction is that if it goes in my PS4 then it deserves to be reviewed against other games, and shouldn't be handled with kid gloves just because it's got a different "vision".

Maybe I'm too interested in this game, but I do feel some disappointment from the reviews. I was never too interested, and I was cautious about getting hyped for it, but I feel more disappointed for everyone else's sake really. Not a game that was ever particularly interested in, but it's always sad to see something that people have clearly worked very hard over get such a panning.

While there will be some pressure to release from the public, releasing a game too "early" is only ever the Devs or publisher's fault. For one, they can easily ignore the public pressure - it's their game and they can easily spin a delay into a good thing. With a lot of games, the publishers will have specific targets they have to meet. For example, Ubi will look at Q4 each year and say "right, to keep our shareholders happy we need 3 big name releases in Q4". Then it becomes a case of "what can we schedule for that window?" and "is it ready enough to ship?".

I might be wrong but, as I've said before, my sense is that devs these days get more praise than criticism for delaying a game in order to meet their standards.

• Like 1

And here they were expecting to sell 13 million copies. Lmao, well that was a load of shit. i'm not buying this it will be a rental especially since its an 7-8 hour platinum.

Or, according to the 100% Club on here, a 3.5hr platinum...! That's almost in the Megamind realm of trophy hunting simplicity...

• Like 1