Boosting skill based trophies?

Humonic

How do you guys/gals... hey ladies  :eyebrow: feel about boosting skill based trophies? 

Or maybe you don't boost, how do you feel about boosters who boost skill based trophies? 

If it's a grindy trophy that anyone can get if they put the time in like get 10,000 kills in multiplayer, who cares right? 

Boost that all day, all your doing is saving time. 

That's not a trophy that separates the peasants from the King/Queen... hey ladies  :eyebrow:

But say it's like for example get 100 wins, if you're bad.. you're not going to win. 

Go play free for all on a Call of duty game having never touched a CoD game before and get 100 wins. 

It's not gonna happen, you may give up before you get good enough to win. 

But you can boost it. 

How do you guys feel about it? 

In your opinion do you deserve the trophy if you boost a skill based trophy?

If you don't boost, do people who boost skill based trophies deserve them? 

It would be great if y'all could keep this discussion civil. :D

If you want to verbally abuse me do it via private message so this thread doesn't get locked. 

Or maybe this thread will get locked anyway for being too inflammatory lol, after all discussing things on a forum is just silly anyway.

I robbed a Brain Surgeon of all her money once.

When then the police came to take it back, I said, back off! 

It took real effort to rob that Surgeon, one friend had to hold her down while I went through her pockets to find her purse. 

Another friend had to sit near by in a get away vehicle and another two friends of mine had to be our alibis.

It took real team work and communication to rob that Brain Surgeon.

Therefore we deserve her hard earned money just as much as her! 

And all the police officers nodded in agreement and told me what hard working guys we all were and went home. 

It took real skill robbing that Surgeons hard earned money so we deserve it just as much as her! 

I know... it's a terrible analogy, you're not robbing trophies from another person and so on.

I'm just having a little fun being garbage. Let me be. ;)

1304528152_high-five-fist-bump-fail.gif

Edited by Humonic

I don't think it really matters either way, as long as they're not intruding on the people trying to play legit. I did all the online trophies in MKX legit but I'm not going to look down on or call out someone for boosting it. Who cares?

How would you feel if the Ultimate Battler trophy on Injustice was boostable via a second controller? 

I'm not asking if you or we should care lol, we shouldn't; it's none of our business and it's a for a trophy that doesn't physically exist.

What I'm asking is if the trophy is still deserved if it's boosted. 

Eh, if it's not hacking, then I'm not too fussed to be honest

From recall, I've boosted on two games: Battle Fantasia (dead servers) and Injustice (50 win-streak for x10 xp - to help level up)

Boosting skill-related trophies can be seen as cheap from the perspective of someone who got those trophies without boosting, I can understand that - but either way, they both still got that trophy, so in the end it makes no real difference (except from increased trophy rarity, possibly)

Edited by Aex
  • Like 2

Sigh.

Boosting still requires a lot of skill. You need to be able to manage a whole group of people in most cases, for extensive periods of time over multiple sessions. Uncharted 2, for example, took 80 hours of boosting. Me and my group had to stay motivated throughout all that time, and we had to co-operate to get shit done.

Ok, so you don't need to be good at the game (in most cases). You do however need to be good at being part of a crowd, and if you're the host, organizing and controlling a group of people, and improvising when something goes wrong (i.e someone not turning up).

Were those trophies skill based though? 

It took you 80 hours to boost, sure.

If you couldn't boost them, would you have to be extremely skilled at the game to get them?

If not, then that's not what I'm talking about. 

Were those trophies skill based though? 

It took you 80 hours to boost, sure.

If you couldn't boost them, would you have to be extremely skilled at the game to get them?

If not, then that's not what I'm talking about. 

Skill and luck. You need to do things like get x kills with x gun x times during one match x times overall. Triple Threat, for example, requires 3 secondary gun kills, 3 long gun and 3 grenades in one match for a medal, you need 15 medals.

Fighting someone with a pistol when they have an over-powered long gun could be done if you have a good skill, but it also relies on luck that your opponent is a bad shot.

Skill and luck. You need to do things like get x kills with x gun x times during one match x times overall. Triple Threat, for example, requires 3 secondary gun kills, 3 long gun and 3 grenades in one match for a medal, you need 15 medals.

Fighting someone with a pistol when they have an over-powered long gun could be done if you have a good skill, but it also relies on luck that your opponent is a bad shot.

Okay, still that's not an insane amount of skill require; most people would just get that over time.

Now say you got that legit, would you say the guy who boosted with a friend in 5 minutes deserves it just as much as you do? 

Even my CoD example is kinda weak, people would get it if they played enough. 

A real example would be the Ultimate Battler trophy on Injustice. :) 

Go and try that lol, once you've got it; tell me if you think boosters (if it was actually boostable) deserve it as much as you. 

Eh, if it's not hacking, then I'm not too fussed to be honest

From recall, I've boosted on two games: Battle Fantasia (dead servers) and Injustice (50 win-streak for x10 xp - to help level up)

Boosting skill-related trophies can be seen as cheap from the perspective of someone who got those trophies without boosting, I can understand that - but either way, they both still got that trophy, so in the end it makes no real difference (except from increased trophy rarity, possibly)

I can understand Battle Fantasia due to the reason you gave. Injustice on the other hand, I just don't know. 

I don't think it really matters either way, as long as they're not intruding on the people trying to play legit. I did all the online trophies in MKX legit but I'm not going to look down on or call out someone for boosting it. Who cares?

I do agree with Humonic a bit, it does seems like a lie if someone boosts the trophies without even trying first. 

Okay, still that's not an insane amount of skill require; most people would just get that over time.

Now say you got that legit, would you say the guy who boosted with a friend in 5 minutes deserves it just as much as you do? 

Even my CoD example is kinda weak, people would get it if they played enough. 

A real example would be the Ultimate Battler trophy on Injustice. :)

Go and try that lol, once you've got it; tell me if you think boosters (if it was actually boostable) deserve it as much as you. 

5 minutes? You're joking right? Everybody needs a turn - it'll take an hour if your session goes perfectly, probably even more. Also, to get it "legit", as you put it, you need to get 9 kills in one match. The kill limit is 50 for the entire team. There are 6 to a team IIRC. You need to be pretty skilled to get 9 kills - let alone under those painfully specific requirements.

And of course they deserve it. They earned it.

The only illegitimate methods of getting trophies in my opinion are

1) Shareplay

2) Hacking

3) PS4 auto-pop glitch

All of these you don't have to do anything at all. Boosting still requires effort on your part, and from the rest of the team.

(Cross-save is pretty damn cheap, and I wholeheartedly regret doing it for Motorstorm RC, but I still consider that legit because you did it once. You didn't actually earn it twice, but you've proven you can do it at least)

And nah, Injustice isn't my kind of game. I'm not going to buy and play a game I have no interest in to prove a point when it isn't necessary, because any online trophy is a good enough example.

Edited by madbuk

Boosting is still within the boundaries of the game. You just use the quickest method on earning the trophy. You're not hacking, you aren't breaking any rules of the game. Anybody who does it "legit" and looks down on your accomplishment is a fool.

In the end you still fulfilled the requirement needed for the trophy. Whether you took the hard road or the easy road is irrelevant.

• Like 1

Yes, a player deserves a skill-based trophy if they boost it. Because trophies don't really mean anything. Also, it's practically impossible to tell if anyone has earned any of the trophies they have now. Perhaps people hand the controller off and let other people play on their account. No one would really know. When you die, trophies will not be mentioned at your eulogy.

I can understand Battle Fantasia due to the reason you gave. Injustice on the other hand, I just don't know. 

I do agree with Humonic a bit, it does seems like a lie if someone boosts the trophies without even trying first. 

It's toward a grind trophy, and grind doesn't require skill anyway

It'd take 11 days to reach level 100 using the Hall of Injustice robot interactable method without any xp multipliers, and on the PS4, no rapid fire controllers currently exist, so I still had to sit there for 14 hours straight, and press the interactable button over 65,000 times with x15 xp nonetheless (I calculated it all up with my free hand)

Either way, I don't seek your approval

Boosting is still within the boundaries of the game. You just use the quickest method on earning the trophy. You're not hacking, you aren't breaking any rules of the game. Anybody who does it "legit" and looks down on your accomplishment is a fool.

In the end you still fulfilled the requirement needed for the trophy. Whether you took the hard road or the easy road is irrelevant.

Go do the ultimate Battler trophy on Injustice and say the people who boosted it (it was actually boostable) deserve just as much. 

5 minutes? You're joking right? Everybody needs a turn - it'll take an hour if your session goes perfectly, probably even more. Also, to get it "legit", as you put it, you need to get 9 kills in one match. The kill limit is 50 for the entire team. There are 6 to a team IIRC. You need to be pretty skilled to get 9 kills - let alone under those painfully specific requirements.

And of course they deserve it. They earned it.

The only illegitimate methods of getting trophies in my opinion are

1) Shareplay

2) Hacking

3) PS4 auto-pop glitch

All of these you don't have to do anything at all. Boosting still requires effort on your part, and from the rest of the team.

(Cross-save is pretty damn cheap, and I wholeheartedly regret doing it for Motorstorm RC, but I still consider that legit because you did it once. You didn't actually earn it twice, but you've proven you can do it at least)

And nah, Injustice isn't my kind of game. I'm not going to buy and play a game I have no interest in to prove a point when it isn't necessary, because any online trophy is a good enough example.

Auto popping is more legit then boosting imo... 

The trophy I'm talking about isn't an online trophy. 

If it was I'm sure Injustice wouldn't be sat at 0.8 rarity.

It's toward a grind trophy, and grind doesn't require skill anyway

It'd take 11 days to reach level 100 using the Hall of Injustice robot interactable method without any xp multipliers, and on the PS4, no rapid fire controllers currently exist, so I still had to sit there for 14 hours straight, and press the interactable button over 65,000 times with x15 xp nonetheless (I calculated it all up with my free hand)

Either way, I don't seek your approval

I know about Injustice, don't need you to explain it to me.  xD

Also I never ask you to seek my approval lol. 

Go do the ultimate Battler trophy on Injustice and say the people who boosted it (it was actually boostable) deserve just as much. 

Auto popping is more legit then boosting imo... 

The trophy I'm talking about isn't an online trophy. 

If it was I'm sure Injustice wouldn't be sat at 0.8 rarity.

To be honest, boosting is needed in certain cases but this excessive boosting a lot of people are doing nowadays is getting crazy.

Edited by ZeroXOF

Yes, a player deserves a skill-based trophy if they boost it. Because trophies don't really mean anything. Also, it's practically impossible to tell if anyone has earned any of the trophies they have now. Perhaps people hand the controller off and let other people play on their account. No one would really know. When you die, trophies will not be mentioned at your eulogy.

I never said trophies are important or mean anything.

They're meaningless actually, but we're on a forum about them, so we may as well discuss them. 

Thanks for the enlightening knowledge though. ;) 

And we disagree clearly.

I believe in survival of the fittest, you believe in participation medals apparently. 

Yes it's impossible to tell, but so what? 

I'm seeing a lot of people lie to themselves in an effort of self preservation lol. 

I do deserve my trophies, I do deserve my trophies! *rocks backwards and forwards in corner of the room*

I know about Injustice, don't need you to explain it to me.  xD

Also I never ask you to seek my approval lol. 

To be honest, boosting is needed in certain cases but this excessive boosting a lot of people are doing nowadays is getting crazy.

Boosting is necessary nowadays, sure.

I never said people shouldn't do it. ;)

I'm just asking if we deserve the skill based trophies we receive through boosting.

I think no, personally.

I don't deserve the online racing trophies I got on GTA V, I boosted them because I'm shit, I shouldn't have them but I do anyway. 

I have no problem with boosting, it's legit, it saves time, it makes grinding less boring, I can talk to others about stuff. What's not to like. I play games maybe 2-3 hours a week, so yeah I gladly boost.

I'm not talking about grinds... 

I'm talking about essentially cheating your way out of a skill based challenge. 

Boosting is necessary nowadays, sure.

I never said people shouldn't do it. ;)

I'm just asking if we deserve the skill based trophies we receive through boosting.

I think no, personally.

I don't deserve the online racing trophies I got on GTA V, I boosted them because I'm shit, I shouldn't have them but I do anyway. 

Of course but the trophy is part of the trophy list and it's not like you can just remove it. The ones you should be attacking are the people who boost the whole game and say it's easy even though it's not. 

Edited by ZeroXOF

I don't see why it would matter. Either way, you're fulfilling the requirements for the trophy. You're just doing it faster. This applies to "skill-based" ones as well.

I'll use the original example. If someone needs 100 wins, but is bad at the game, they'll still eventually get the 100 wins. As they play the game, they'll eventually get better. Boosting it still just shortens the time needed to get the trophy from the weeks or months it might take to get good enough, to the few hours or days it would take to boost.

As long as they're just boosting to get the trophies I don't really care, I mean it's just a trophy and then they'll stop playing the game and people who play "legitimately" won't be affected by it. If they're boosting to troll others, be ranked high on the in-game leader board, or to gain an unfair advantage when they stop boosting then I will disapprove of them.

Edited by theguytom