Why don't Rockstar let you buy extra songs for the radio?

I think they at least should enable the option of customizing your own radio, using the songs that are already in the game, Saints Row has been doing these for years and works wonders, I usually only like 2 or 3 song of some  radio station and dislike the rest, being able to make a list with the song that I enjoy would eradicate  most of my problems with GTA's radio station system.

• Like 1

Licensing songs to be in the game and licensing them to then in turn to sell them on again are completely separate contracts.

You may be aware of how temporary the contracts Rockstar possess with labels, with music being patched out of PC releases later down the line or for example.

Further, speaking for myself and I know a few others, I eventually just mute the TV and have something else on in the background when playing GTA at a certain point in its lifecycle.

Edited by LastPisTolman

So you want them to add music as a dlc?

if they made dlc for music then it should be free if they did make it we may need to pay up like £4 or something like that

How about giving us the option to add songs to the game like Gran Turismo has always had? No need at all to encourage even more dlc, the developers already leave parts of the game out and release it as dlc later. Edited by The German Eagle

The real question is why the hell would you want to pay for more music?

360 lets you play your own music.

PC lets you play your own music.

PS4 lets you play your own music.

I'm decently sure Xbone lets you play your own music.

Unless you're playing on PS3, you can put your own songs in with little to no effort. And if you are playing on PS3 and want more songs, how hard is it to turn the radio off and turn on an MP3 player?

Vice City, I think it was Vice City, got an update not tooooo long ago, all the update did was take out Billie Jean. Song licensees are a bitch, and considering your the first person I've EVER see who'd consider paying for more songs, I doubt it'd be worth it for them.

I won't lie, I'm not the biggest fan of GTA V's radios, I mostly flip back and forth between LS Rock Radio and Channel X, and a little bit of Vinewood Boulevard or whatever the hipster rock station is ... doesn't ruin the game for me sitting through a couple minutes of a song I'm not super into. You'd really be willing to spend money so you could hear a couple minutes of a different song every now and then? Seriously?

If I had to guess, it's probably because they've gone to fairly great lengths to make the radio stations function in a realistic way... stations changing depending on where you are on the map (urban/pop stations in the city, country stations in the desert, etc), stations intelligently continuing to play even when you aren't driving, stations in stolen cars specific to the NPC that owned it (ie. carjack a hispanic man and find out he was listening to spanish music), news reports interrupting the music appropriately based on events in the game world, etc.

If you listen to the radio in real life, you know you can't pick and choose specific songs you want to listen to.  Gotta flip around and find a new station. ;)

Yeah but it's not real life is it?

It's a game, a near perfect one at that, but the fact that the very name Grand Theft Auto in itself is about carjacking, you'd think there would be more player options when Inside a vehicle, say listening to any music available ingame and play them anytime and in whatever order you feel, would be a nice touch...

Just saying.

Yeah but it's not real life is it?

It's a game, a near perfect one at that, but the fact that the very name Grand Theft Auto in itself is about carjacking, you'd think there would be more player options when Inside a vehicle, say listening to any music available ingame and play them anytime and in whatever order you feel, would be a nice touch...

Just saying.

They were clearly aiming for a certain level of realism with the radio though, as I mentioned before.  By your logic, it'd be a "nice touch" if they could add the ability to teleport anywhere, anytime... because, you know, I really find it annoying when I have to drive (or fly if I stumble across a plane) all over the game map just to see the top of Mt. Chiliad.  For a game with such a large map, you'd think instantaneous teleportation would be a given.  I mean, HEH, it's not real life... is it?

I'm actually kind of surprised they never went for some kind of iTunes parody that let you buy music and make playlists

Now that'd be an interesting idea.  Another use for the plentiful in-game money too.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

They were clearly aiming for a certain level of realism with the radio though, as I mentioned before.  By your logic, it'd be a "nice touch" if they could add the ability to teleport anywhere, anytime... because, you know, I really find it annoying when I have to drive (or fly if I stumble across a plane) all over the game map just to see the top of Mt. Chiliad.  For a game with such a large map, you'd think instantaneous teleportation would be a given.  I mean, HEH, it's not real life... is it?

Now that'd be an interesting idea.  Another use for the plentiful in-game money too.

I think my point was more valid, as I said it's called Grand Theft Auto, as in cars, not Grand Theft Teleport, as in whatever that has to do with my origional point,

Well i feel i'm circling around the same thing, we were talking about music, but i think your on to something :)

• Like 1

I think my point was more valid, as I said it's called Grand Theft Auto, as in cars, not Grand Theft Teleport

Your point in response to me was that "it's a game so I should be able to do whatever unrealistic stuff I want to".  Hence the teleporting.  Teleporting is also an unrealistic thing that cars in a video game could do, and it'd certainly make a lot of sense considering the size of the map.

But while we're on this topic, it's also not called Grand Theft Radio... so... *shrug*

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Your point in response to me was that "it's a game so I should be able to do whatever unrealistic stuff I want to".  Hence the teleporting.  Teleporting is also an unrealistic thing that cars in a video game could do, and it'd certainly make a lot of sense considering the size of the map.

But while we're on this topic, it's also not called Grand Theft Radio... so... *shrug*

Mmmk, i think you're pulling at strings now, GTA is carjacking as in car related and what happens anytime you enter a vehicle? BAM music, this guy wanted more options for the music he likes to listen to and you turned it into some Back to The Future/DragonBallZ hybrid with teleporting, so yea it's more Grand Theft Radio then Grand Theft Teleporting.

Closing argument: discussion about the radio and the options surrounding it IS a valid back and forth conversation,

Hence where this convo started before it changed completely.

It's not unrealistic to think that there would be option to listen to your own variations in tunes, maybe the protagonist has an epic iPod or something, which would allow one to mix and mash the in game music... Not so far fetched is it? iPod/Teleporting, i'll let you deside.

Have a nice day :)

Mmmk, i think you're pulling at strings now, GTA is carjacking as in car related and what happens anytime you enter a vehicle? BAM music, this guy wanted more options for the music he likes to listen to and you turned it into some Back to The Future/DragonBallZ hybrid with teleporting, so yea it's more Grand Theft Radio then Grand Theft Teleporting.

Closing argument: discussion about the radio and the options surrounding it IS a valid back and forth conversation,

Hence where this convo started before it changed completely.

It's not unrealistic to think that there would be option to listen to your own variations in tunes, maybe the protagonist has an epic iPod or something, which would allow one to mix and mash the in game music... Not so far fetched is it? iPod/Teleporting, i'll let you deside.

Have a nice day :)

Someone asked why they wouldn't just let you take the songs on the radio and arrange them how you like.

I said, my guess was, they were trying to maintain a certain level of realism with how the radio functioned citing other realistic radio functionality they've already put the effort building into it.

Then you out of nowhere made an obvious statement as though to debate my guess... "it's a game, it doesn't have to be realistic" (paraphrasing)... clearly not understanding that I am not Rockstar, and was simply guessing that they WANTED it to be realistic.

So I escalated your clear attempt to annoy me by being stupid, with a ridiculous proposal of my own.  The teleportation.

And here we are...

Yes, an iPod idea could be a realistic alternative (though it wasn't your original suggestion, and you more or less copied it from another poster).  Yes, there's nothing technically stopping them from allowing you to build your own station with the songs they already have licensed.  I don't care.  I don't think that's the direction they wanted to go with it.  That's all.  Stop trying to argue with me.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Someone asked why they wouldn't just let you take the songs on the radio and arrange them how you like.

I said, my guess was, they were trying to maintain a certain level of realism with how the radio functioned citing other realistic radio functionality they've already put the effort building into it.

Then you out of nowhere made an obvious statement as though to debate my guess... "it's a game, it doesn't have to be realistic" (paraphrasing)... clearly not understanding that I am not Rockstar, and was simply guessing that they WANTED it to be realistic.

So I escalated your clear attempt to annoy me by being stupid, with a ridiculous proposal of my own.  The teleportation.

And here we are...

Yes, an iPod idea could be a realistic alternative (though it wasn't your original suggestion, and you more or less copied it from another poster).  Yes, there's nothing technically stopping them from allowing you to build your own station with the songs they already have licensed.  I don't care.  I don't think that's the direction they wanted to go with it.  That's all.  Stop trying to argue with me.

You're right, it was stupid (paraphrasing)

"more or less" isn't copying, i didn't read that post until now, i'm only replying to the reply posts I've been getting, mostly from you.

I will "copy" this though...

"Stop trying to argue with me" :)

• 1 month later...