Cheaters, Hiding Trophies, Leaderboards

the thing is: this has been discussed many many times and i think the answers is: "it's not all that black and white and highly subjective."

some people consider boosting as cheating, some remote play, some both etc.

in both cases it's highly depending on HOW exactly these 'tools' are used, in my opinion.

if you boost by teaming up with someone and just play more or less "normally" while prioritizing certain trophies in your MP session, i'd say it's pretty legit.

If you do a boosting session like "ok, i quickly let you win 10 times and after that, you'll let me win 10 times", i can understand how someone would consider that 'cheating'. (i personally don't btw, but like i said: subjective) ;)

Same goes for remote play: if you simply use it as a couch-coop-emulator to play local-coop stuff with your friends, it's perfectly legit of course. perhaps your friends live far away or whatever... i personally think this is a really great feature sony did there!

If you use it to let someone get you trophies via remote-play, perhaps by even paying for it, it's at least highly questionable. but you could do that i the past too, by simply handing someone your vita who is more skilled than you or whatever. hell, i even remember stuff like that happening at school with a gameboy for example: "can you beat this boss for me, i can't progress the game :(" 

so your friend beats that particularly hard boss for you, so that you can continue the rest of the game normally. of course there were no trophies back then, that other people could bitch about ;)

personally i'm fine with all of the above cases, to be honest. they're not circumventing any systems or using tools/hacks or whatever, it's basically all part of the game.

as long as there are no external saves involved or someone simply randomly unlocked trophies with a hacked ps3 or whatever, it's fine by me...

but let me finish by stating one more time: it's highly subjective and i won't argue with anyone who has a different opinion on that matter :)

Edited by dernop

For what its worth remote play, boosting and coop I have no problem with it, that's just gaming to me.  What I don't like to see is gamers hiding trophies from games to artificially inflate they % completion to make their profile look better.  Your profile is what your profile is, don't be sneaky hiding stuff on it.

the thing is: this has been discussed many many times and i think the answers is: "it's not all that black and white and highly subjective."

some people consider boosting as cheating, some remote play, some both etc.

in both cases it's highly depending on HOW exactly these 'tools' are used, in my opinion.

if you boost by teaming up with someone and just play more or less "normally" while prioritizing certain trophies in your MP session, i'd say it's pretty legit.

If you do a boosting session like "ok, i quickly let you win 10 times and after that, you'll let me win 10 times", i can understand how someone would consider that 'cheating'. (i personally don't btw, but like i said: subjective) ;)

Same goes for remote play: if you simply use it as a couch-coop-emulator to play local-coop stuff with your friends, it's perfectly legit of course. perhaps your friends live far away or whatever... i personally think this is a really great feature sony did there!

If you use it to let someone get you trophies via remote-play, perhaps by even paying for it, it's at least highly questionable. but you could do that i the past too, by simply handing someone your vita who is more skilled than you or whatever. hell, i even remember stuff like that happening at school with a gameboy for example: "can you beat this boss for me, i can't progress the game :(" 

so your friend beats that particularly hard boss for you, so that you can continue the rest of the game normally. of course there were no trophies back then, that other people could bitch about ;)

personally i'm fine with all of the above cases, to be honest. they're not circumventing any systems or using tools/hacks or whatever, it's basically all part of the game.

as long as there are no external saves involved or someone simply randomly unlocked trophies with a hacked ps3 or whatever, it's fine by me...

but let me finish by stating one more time: it's highly subjective and i won't argue with anyone who has a different opinion on that matter :)

Boosting is manipulating the game to your will, so yes it's cheating but is needed considering the servers maybe be dead or being turned off soon. 

Edited by 3DS Master Race

Boosting is manipulating the game to your will, so yes it's cheating but is needed considering the servers maybe be dead or being turned off soon. 

YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE ANY TROPHIES, KAPPA

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE

I'LL DO WHAT I WANT, I'M 11 NOW. YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO ANYMORE, MEANIE!

Edited by Aela

YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE ANY TROPHIES, KAPPA

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE

I'LL DO WHAT I WANT, I'M 11 NOW. YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO ANYMORE, MEANIE!

How dare ones think they have guts to talk back to one with such disdain, you shall be punished! 

It looks like the conversation has dived into multiple different things but I'll give my two cents:

• I agree with the OP that if someone hides their trophies in a game that they cheated in, that shouldn't make them a non-cheater anymore (nor should it really adjust most of your stats on your profile since it's just a privacy feature and your trophies are technically "still there").
  • Boosting is not cheating, boosting is basically "Hey, I don't have enough friends with this game so we can help each other out, so I'll find random people". You're still working to get the trophies, you're just speeding up the process. Just like if there was a legitimate speedier way to get a single-player trophy, that's what everyone would do.
  • Hiding trophies isn't cheating, it's a "privacy feature" on PSN (I guess intended for people who don't want their trophy data being public). That being said, I've almost always seen people usually hide their trophies on this site basically to make their stats higher or make something on their profile look better, so while that's not cheating it's just ... always oddly used. In my opinion there really isn't much of a sensible reason to hide your trophies at all if you're fine with your trophy list being viewable to the public- I've always heard people hide their trophies for odd reasons like "ohh, I have too many low percents on my profile" or "I hid a game I don't like" or something like that. I've seen some people hide their trophies to simply raise their completion percentage. I don't really care what you do with your profile as it's yours, but I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of people probably point at hidden trophies is because there has yet to really be a truly reasonable use of it past it being a privacy feature.
Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

What if for example...

You hid all your PS3 games and wanted just a PS4 trophy profile?

A mate came over and brought his copy of NFL 15 and you played a couple of local multiplayer games, then your mate took the game and you never played it again so you would forever have a 0% complete game which you never owned... is it "fair" to hide this game?

Edited by ashkilljoy

What if for example...

You hid all your PS3 games and wanted just a PS4 trophy profile?

A mate came over and brought his copy of NFL 15 and you played a couple of local multiplayer games, then your mate took the game and you never played it again so you would forever have a 0% complete game which you never owned... is it "fair" to hide this game?

you can remove 0% games.

The leaderboard is based on points, not %completion, and when you hide a trophy you lose the points for it.. why should i be flagged as a cheater if i hide a trophy i haven t cheated for??

Hiding trophies is not cheating.. cheating is to steal points, IMHO

It looks like the conversation has dived into multiple different things but I'll give my two cents:

• I agree with the OP that if someone hides their trophies in a game that they cheated in, that shouldn't make them a non-cheater anymore (nor should it really adjust most of your stats on your profile since it's just a privacy feature and your trophies are technically "still there").
  • Boosting is not cheating, boosting is basically "Hey, I don't have enough friends with this game so we can help each other out, so I'll find random people". You're still working to get the trophies, you're just speeding up the process. Just like if there was a legitimate speedier way to get a single-player trophy, that's what everyone would do.
  • Hiding trophies isn't cheating, it's a "privacy feature" on PSN (I guess intended for people who don't want their trophy data being public). That being said, I've almost always seen people usually hide their trophies on this site basically to make their stats higher or make something on their profile look better, so while that's not cheating it's just ... always oddly used. In my opinion there really isn't much of a sensible reason to hide your trophies at all if you're fine with your trophy list being viewable to the public- I've always heard people hide their trophies for odd reasons like "ohh, I have too many low percents on my profile" or "I hid a game I don't like" or something like that. I've seen some people hide their trophies to simply raise their completion percentage. I don't really care what you do with your profile as it's yours, but I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of people probably point at hidden trophies is because there has yet to really be a truly reasonable use of it past it being a privacy feature.

Most of the trophies that people boost probably don't require teamwork, it's just that the person wasn't skilled enough or the servers are dead. There's nothing wrong with gaining assistance but if you think boosting isn't some form of cheating, then you're wrong. 

• Like 1

Most of the trophies that people boost probably don't require teamwork, it's just that the person wasn't skilled enough or the servers are dead. There's nothing wrong with gaining assistance but if you think boosting isn't some form of cheating, then you're wrong. 

I'll only agree to it in terms of ranked online trophies but player/private match and lobby trophies I wouldn't call cheating.

I'll only agree to it in terms of ranked online trophies but player/private match and lobby trophies I wouldn't call cheating.

Thank you for actually replying with a proper response. 

I agree too with private matches, I just don't know what to call it. I do believe boosting is needed but only for assistance, if one is just boosting games all the time, it shows that they clearly not worthy of having that plat.

• Like 1

Saying stuff like this makes me laugh at you, you bring nothing to this discussion and have yet to prove me wrong.

Big LOL to this.

Saying "if you think that way, you are wrong" is just plain stupid. I won't try to 'prove you wrong' since you "already know that i'm wrong". 

Thank you for actually replying with a proper response. 

I agree too with private matches, I just don't know what to call it. I do believe boosting is needed but only for assistance, if one is just boosting games all the time, it shows that they clearly not worthy of having that plat.

So if i play against people that sucks, will it be worthy?

Edited by lesk8vaincra

Big LOL to this.

Saying "if you think that way, you are wrong" is just plain stupid. I won't try to 'prove you wrong' since you "already know that i'm wrong". 

I never said that though, you think that I'm implying it but the fact is I never said it. If you had a logical response and shown me the error in my judgement, I would said "That you're were right". The thing is, you didn't even attempt to do that and called my post "Most full of shit answer of all time". On the other hand, Kochiya-Shana did do that and I have seen that my judgement may have been wrong.

So if i play against people that sucks, will it be worthy?

Good play on the sarcasm but it really didn't work this time.

I never said that though, you think that I'm implying it but the fact is I never said it. If you had a logical response and shown me the error in my judgement, I would said "That you're were right". The thing is, you didn't even attempt to do that and called my post "Most full of shit answer of all time". On the other hand, Kochiya-Shana did do that and I have seen that my judgement may have been wrong.

Good play on the sarcasm but it really didn't work this time.

Its not even sarcasm...

Boosting is just a legit way to savetime for a trophy. Do you alter the game? No. Do you break your save? No. Do you do anything else than what is needed for your trophy? No. Does it mean that you are better than another player? No, it only affects your trophy.

Playing against someone that can't play to win easily? Perfectly legit.

Playing for hundred of hours against people that are better than you? Also perfectly legit.

Playing against someone who doesn't care and let you win? Why wouldn't it be legit?

I never said that though, you think that I'm implying it but the fact is I never said it.

Well, do i need to quote it again?

Here it is:

but if you think boosting isn't some form of cheating, then you're wrong. 

Looks like a perfect example of "IF YOU DONT AGREE WITH ME YOU ARE WRONG", isn't it?

Edited by lesk8vaincra

Its not even sarcasm...

Boosting is just a legit way to savetime for a trophy. Do you alter the game? No. Do you break your save? No. Do you do anything else than what is needed for your trophy? No. Does it mean that you are better than another player? No, it only affects your trophy.

Playing against someone that can't play to win easily? Perfectly legit.

Playing for hundred of hours against people that are better than you? Also perfectly legit.

Playing against someone who doesn't care and let you win? Why wouldn't it be legit?

I would say that it's legit in some sense that you're still following the trophy requirements to a degree, but if you yourself got someone just to lose for you, you're clearly altering game statistics for your own gain. I can't tell people how to play but don't act like it's the only way. I use to really getting kicked out of rooms in SF4 because people were boosting and I was "in the way", go and ask grimydawg he must have experienced it as well. 

I would say that it's legit in some sense that you're still following the trophy requirements to a degree, but if you yourself got someone just to lose for you, you're clearly altering game statistics for your own gain

What's the point in this? We are always "altering game statistics for our own gain" while playing games.

when we have to farm kills, accumulate exp or bolts, evrybody's cheating? no, everybody's playing in the way the game allow us to do. Am i a cheater if i farm kill in chapter 5 in Hotline Miami? Am i a cheater if i accumulate bolts in the race-track in Ratchet&Clank? Am i a cheater if i maximize the statistics of Kratos from the menu screen in God of War III?  Hell no.

There's nothing in the trophy description that say "You can achieve this, that way but not this way", i can achieve the trophy in every way my ps3/ps4 controller allow me.

So, if i arrange the requirements for a trophy in a multiplayer match, i'm not enough skilled, and if i do it on singleplayer it's fine.. tell me why, tell me how you miseaure my skill, tell me when we have signed the contract with sony that force us to prove our ability at a certain level, or in a way and not in another one. Maybe my skill are better then someone else and allow me to help people in Tomb Raider MP, for example, tell me where it has been said that is forbidden, please. 

Edited by alebrego
  • Like 2