Was your Vita worth it?

PleaseHoldOn

I have very mixed feelings on the Vita, I bought it for first party support, not AAA titles which Sony completely dropped the ball on. I bought it for PS3 remote play which turned out to be a lie and never worked with games that claimed they would support it.

When remote play hit PS4 it underperformed compared to my other streaming devices.

I did find a few enjoyable games however, they weren't necessarily what I was craving to play on a handheld but I made the best of it.

Aside from that, theres indies I could buy but I either own them or they can be purchased on a PC at a fraction of the price. All I have to look forward to now are JRPGs and with some luck, the occasional PS plus title. The high cost of memory cards is a pain.

If you really love Japanese games and indies and already have a 3DS I might recommend it but IMO its definitely the worst handheld I've ever owned. It had a lot of potential that it unfortunately will never reach.

I paid 100$ for my used Vita, have bought 20$ worth of games, a 20$ case, the rest are PS+ freebies. So, for 140$ I have a really nice gaming device with fun games for commute, travel or when it's my boyfriend turn to have the tv at home  :lol:

So yeah it's worth it ! (And will be even more this winter when I commute everyday 1h30 instead of taking my motorcycle to go to work)

1. That picture makes me cringe tbh

2. The 3DS has games like Mario, Fire Emblem and TLoZ while the Vita has obscure and creepy games like Monster Monpiece, Criminal Girls, etc. Vita needs more games like Uncharted, Gravity Rush and Unit 13. It's pretty much a portable PSOne at this point.

3. I think by Omega Neps you mean Omega Quintet (No clue what Neps means but sure...) Was going to buy the game on release for my gf since she likes turn-based games, Now that it was on a flash sale for 24$ I bought it for her and she thinks it's okay and doesn't mind it. God forbid someone else plays games on my PS4, right?

Omega Quintet is pretty creepy. I think you actually bought that for yourself

Would people recommend it for someone who has no interest in Japanese games?

Maybe, maybe not... Thats something you must find out by yourself.

Also, you have Japanese games on your profile, you know?

Gran Turismo

18px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png CyberHead

18px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Polys Entertainment

18px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Polyphony Digital

18px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Sony Computer Entertainment

Metal Gear Solid

Konami Computer Entertainment Japan (West) 

But dont worry, there are enough non-Japanese games (Have you a problem with Japanese people or so?) on Vita, even though I dont understand why people like you are buying Japanese consoles. Why not XBox? xD

You guys are awesome!   :D

Join Satoshi-mastaa and request a citizenship for Vitaland - a new and independent country somewhere in Europe - today!

The tinyprinted: By joinjing Vitaland you accept Kana Hanazawa as your only goddess.

Edited by Neputyunu

I think it was a good investment for me to buy, about a year ago. And I still say it was a good investment. Partially because I don't have a PS4 yet.

The games are good, there is the back catalogue of PS1 games, and there are a lot of exclusives (ToHR anyone?)

I do own a 3DS as well, as a context. And have owned a PSP (pre-PS3 days) and a DS...

Join Satoshi-mastaa and request a citizenship for Vitaland - a new and independent country somewhere in Europe - today!

Together we will destroy everyone who apposes the Vita way of life! Long live our noble Vita-tan!  :P

The tinyprinted: By joinjing Vitaland you accept Kana Hanazawa as your only goddess.

I accepted that a looooong time ago!  :)

Gran Turismo

Metal Gear Solid

But dont worry, there are enough non-Japanese games (Have you a problem with Japanese people or so?) on Vita, even though I dont understand why people like you are buying Japanese consoles. Why not XBox?

I don't mean games that are made in Japan. That's irrelevant. I don't like Japanese style games. Any games that have an anime artstyle really turns me off. It'd have to be a fantastic game to compensate for that. 

• Like 1

I don't mean games that are made in Japan. That's irrelevant. I don't like Japanese style games. Any games that have an anime artstyle really turns me off. It'd have to be a fantastic game to compensate for that. 

I dont understand the meaning of this. I mean, whats so fantastic about Call Of Duty or FIFA eg? :D

Anyway... you must decide yourself if you want a Vita or not. Nobody can answer you that, because it must fit YOUR likes and dislikes, not anyone elses.

But Vita has Call Of Duty and FIFA too.

Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Declassified_US_E

Edited by Neputyunu

Gran Turismo

Metal Gear Solid

But dont worry, there are enough non-Japanese games (Have you a problem with Japanese people or so?) on Vita, even though I dont understand why people like you are buying Japanese consoles. Why not XBox? xD

I must admit, I try and stray away from most Japanese games as well. A lot of them, in my opinion, just seem so absurd and over the top with half-dressed girls (or, sometimes, women) and it's incredibly creepy. This whole loli thing is rather disturbing, depending on what age some of the people on this thread are...

There are some Japanese games I've enjoyed (Ni no Kuni was great, and Final Fantasy Type-0 is good so far, and I love Kingdom Hearts) but it's hard to find Japanese games that aren't filled with under-dressed kids for some reason, and that is the problem I have with them.

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

Yea but definitely not a wise buy at the time. I got my Vita about 2 months ago at the latest. I knew I was going abroad this Summer for the month and had 2 options.

1. Buy a PS Vita and play games while travelling in my free time
  2. Buy a PS4 and survive a gruelling 4 weeks without games

Of course, I am broke so I chose the only option I could without missing out on games! The Vita! Due to Crossbuy I actually had about 10 games before even owning the console itself. It feels a little cheap playing the game game I've already Platinumed but Sly is a special case because I absolutely love those games and don't plan on Cloud syncing the trophies for any game on the Vita except Sound Shapes because I fucking hate it.

So was my Vita a good buy? yes... but I would have preferred the PS4 in the long run but sacrifices must be made! :(

Certainly was not. Sure, I played some of PS Vita's best exclusives: Gravity Rush (bought all DLC and 100% it), Uncharted: Golden Abyss (obtained platinum), and Killzone Mercenaries (obtained platinum) (been procrastinating on Resistance Burning skies), but the system was still not worth it overall. Most games are single player based, and obviously that doesn't go far for games like the above. I don't have the sufficient time put in to the Vita for me to claim it was worth it. If you have a PS3, PS4, and or Ds lite/Nintendo 3DS, I find the need for the Vita pointless. Little extra features like remote play are hardly worth buying the system for also.

This is by far my most least played system (in my life) of all the ones I've owned and own: SNES, NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advanced, Gameboy SP, all the Ds' pretty much (the extra sizes don't count), PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, Gamecube, Wii and lastly the Wii U, which I literally purchased less than 2 weeks ago (got my Vita almost 2 years ago and played and beat at least 5-6 games; with the Wii U, I've surpassed time spent on the PS Vita just playing one game on Wii U).

It's incredibly depressing seeing how the Vita has stacked up to my time over the handheld Nintendo systems. Nintendo always will be better in my opinion because they handle games better, and the different genres feel more "right" on the N. portable systems.

While the Vita is underrated to some degree, I definitely fine it prominently more overrated, as I mostly see the system being praised, which some of the praise seems false and forced to me. I get the "im going to defend this just because it gets too much hate or is too underrated" vibe from people when defending this system, which people fairly do more than you think. Sony's treatment towards this system is the reality of the viability of this system. Unlike a dying PS3 and dead PS2, those systems were abandoned because of age and the existence of their respective successor (systems). Vita, which is the most relevant form and system of its group, is dying and getting barely any support for other reasons.

Vita is the best console for me right now, P4G and IA/VT are 2 games I've been more excited about and will buy on release since Dark Souls II.  It also has a lot of great exclusive games (JRPGs especially) and lots of nice arcade type games.  I'm someone who values gameplay 100x over story and graphics so that is why I find the Vita line up more appealing.

Edited by QuantumMercury

If you have a PS3, PS4, and or Ds lite/Nintendo 3DS, I find the need for the Vita pointless.

I have all of those. My DS/3DS are my least used systems. I only use them for Pokemon and TLoZ. I actually use my Vita more often than I use my PS4 and about on par with my PS3.

• Like 1

I have all of those. My DS/3DS are my least used systems. I only use them for Pokemon and TLoZ. I actually use my Vita more often than I use my PS4 and about on par with my PS3.

If you've been buying the Pokemon games every year (and Zelda to especially), and assuming you spend a fair long amount of time on them, it should surpass your Vita playtime. PS4 is lacking a certain number of exclusives, so that's partly understandable, even though some remasters, new games, and other online games can easily have you spending a lot of time with PS4. On par with the PS3 is surprising, with the immense amount of games and exclusives PS3 has. I mean, PS3 has a great deal of great RPGs, so I don't understand the more associated time with Vita, if you have a PS3 alongside it (and assuming it wasn't bought long after the Vita/bought later on last).

The Nintendo handhelds actually has a lot of (majority of their) games (are exclusive to) the system and not multi plat OR 3rd party. Plenty of Vita games are already playable both on PS3 and/or PS4, so im just not going to count a person playing a game on their Vita that's also on PS3/4 when they have a PS3/4 like Dead Nation, Plant vs Zombies (whatever the name of this game is), Sound Shapes, Jak & Daxter Collection, Sly 4, much etc.

It could be your preferences as to why your Vita is pretty much your most used system. Like, if you hate, dislike, or do not enjoy competitive games, then that's one reason why you'd be on Vita more, etc.

I've only kept my Vita for (the delayed) Gravity Rush 2 and Daxter, which I've procrastinated on beating for a few months now (them lack of trophies; that lack of motivation).

Edited by inFAMOUS Precursor

If you've been buying the Pokemon games every year (and Zelda to especially), and assuming you spend a fair long amount of time on them, it should surpass your Vita playtime. PS4 is lacking a certain number of exclusives, so that's partly understandable, even though some remasters, new games, and other online games can easily have you spending a lot of time with PS4. On par with the PS3 is surprising, with the immense amount of games and exclusives PS3 has. I mean, PS3 has a great deal of great RPGs, so I don't understand the more associated time with Vita, if you have a PS3 alongside it (and assuming it wasn't bought long after the Vita/bought later on last).

The Nintendo handhelds actually has a lot of (majority of their) games (are exclusive to) the system and not multi plat OR 3rd party. Plenty of Vita games are already playable both on PS3 and/or PS4, so im just not going to count a person playing a game on their Vita that's also on PS3/4 when they have a PS3/4 like Dead Nation, Plant vs Zombies (whatever the name of this game is), Sound Shapes, Jak & Daxter Collection, Sly 4, much etc.

It could be your preferences as to why your Vita is pretty much your most used system. Like, if you hate, dislike, or do not enjoy competitive games, then that's one reason why you'd be on Vita more, etc.

I've only kept my Vita for (the delayed) Gravity Rush 2 and Daxter, which I've procrastinated on beating for a few months now (them lack of trophies; that lack of motivation).

I was just stating the fact. I spend more time on my Vita than the PS4 and Nintendo handhelds and on par with my PS3. I know you don't, but I do. Facts are facts. We're getting off topic, so this conversation is over.