Sony vs Steam

Crespelio-X12

Sony vs Steam  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Sony vs Steam

• Steam
    • Sony

I don't really get the hype about Steam sales. Is it something cool to have a library of games you will never play because you bought them for 50 cents?

It's always nice to save money.  I can buy the same $60 game for the Steam platform as I would on Playstation, for half the price or less, BEFORE it's released.  Sure, some people take it to an extreme... I have 400+ games on Steam... but If you don't see the plus-side to that, you're nuts.

That aside, on topic, if you care even the tiniest bit about having your games in one place, just don't waste your time on PC.  I spent a year or two on PC, mainly on Steam, and now more than ever I'm jumping to GOG or Origin or uPlay or Rockstar Social Club or Battle.Net just to have access to all of my games.  In some cases, I have one or two games in a franchise on one service, and the rest on another (ie. Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, etc).  Different services, different libraries, different usernames, different passwords, different features available (or unavailable), different friends lists.  It's a first world problem sure, but it's a pain in my privileged caboose.  And it honestly makes Steam less appealing as a service because with some franchises/series, you HAVE to go elsewhere to get the full story.

And you know Steam will lose it's standing eventually.  It's only a matter of time until developers start looking at GOG or other services as their distributor of choice (in some cases they already have), especially if Valve keeps making so many dingbat decisions (like "paid mods")... so all of those people putting time and money into making their Steam profiles perfect with trading cards and badges and inventories and achievements are really living in the moment.

It's a problem you really don't (and won't) see on console since Microsoft and Sony are the only game is town, and that isn't likely to change since CD Projekt RED, EA and Ubisoft won't be building their own hardware anytime soon... like they did software to compete with Steam (GOG, Origin, uPlay respectively).

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I prefer PSN because I enjoy playing games on my consoles more than PC. Steam is certainly a great service but I'm of the opinion that Sony and PlayStation have the best exclusive games in the business and that is what matters to me. 

Parker

• Like 3

It's always nice to save money.  I can buy the same $60 game for the Steam platform as I would on Playstation, for half the price or less, BEFORE it's released.  Sure, some people take it to an extreme... I have 400+ games on Steam... but If you don't see the plus-side to that, you're nuts.

Objectively, I see the plus-side.

Subjectively, I don't because I don't care about AAA titles =D

Steam by far. Much better sales, has a huge list of games, and doesn't always go down or constantly get hacked, unlike PSN, which is the worst online service I've ever seen. PSN is so bad that many PS4 users decided to create a website called #BetterPSN for an improvement to the service towards Sony. :P

• Like 2

I'll buy physical games after I buy the digital copy if I like it enough. It's more support for a good game. I also like making the initial purchase physically if it's a good game that I know I'll want to have forever.

I do that kinda backwards, if it's a game I know I won't wanna keep forever then I'll buy it physically (and I generally buy physically anyway cause it's cheaper) but if I know I'll likely keep it forever then I'm fine with buying it digitally.

Steam by far. Much better sales, has a huge list of games, and doesn't always go down or constantly get hacked, unlike PSN, which is the worst online service I've ever seen. PSN is so bad that many PS4 users decided to create a website called #BetterPSN for an improvement to the service towards Sony. :P

Steam

Better sales (who is against saving money ??), free online, wider array of games (even Japanese developers started showing interest there lately. Not to mention tons of free games though few of them might be crap), doesn't go down as many times as PSN does, new refund policy.

Do you guys actually use Steam? xD

At least once or twice per week the SteamCommunity site randomly becomes completely unusable for probably 30-40 minutes at a time... which also controls things like the client's friends list, game downloads and general non-store related connectivity.  And if it's not completely down, the site even more frequently just refuses to load friend feed activity... or will randomly load activity from like three days ago like it just happened.  I've seen people complaining that for months (MONTHS) they couldn't get rid of group invite notifications, and that screenshots and videos randomly takes 24 hours to show up on their profile after saving them to the cloud (usually goes instantaneously)... if it works at all.  They've also had a ton of problems lately with bots mass spamming links to viruses that take over your account and send virus links to everyone on your friends list... so much so they developed a policy where new accounts have to spend $5 in the store before you can use basic Steam functionality like messaging.  The list goes on.

I'm sure Steam seems great if you just poke your head in from time to time, and maybe it's just because they offer more than other services that they have so many problems, but PSN is a well oiled machine compared to it.  Hacking incidents aside.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

Steam

• They have much better and much more frequent sales.
  • There are many more bundle deals than that of PSN, and these are generally much more worthwhile.
  • Games are generally cheaper than they are on all consoles.
  • They now allow for no-questions-asked refunds for any game you've bought so long as it's within 14 days, and you've played 2 hours or less.
  • They have many more quality free-to-play games than PSN.
  • I can add any non-Steam game to my library and play it while still chatting with friends over Steam.
  • There's a much more unified community with Steam, and store pages not only show the general feelings people have for a game, but also list reviews that are favourable, negative, and those found most helpful by other members of the community.
  • This goes for PC gaming in general, but I don't have to pay to play online multiplayer, there are many more customisation options for how I want my game to run, and mods can add a lot of longevity to a game by creating new gameplay experiences, or freshening up those in the base game. They can also tweak even the smallest of things to get the game running just how I like.

I prefer the PC/Steam.

Edited by CandiBunni
  • Like 4

Do you guys actually use Steam? xD

At least once or twice per week the SteamCommunity site randomly becomes completely unusable for probably 30-40 minutes at a time... which also controls things like the client's friends list, game downloads and general non-store related connectivity.  And if it's not completely down, the site even more frequently just refuses to load friend feed activity... or will randomly load activity from like three days ago like it just happened.  I've seen people complaining that for months (MONTHS) they couldn't get rid of group invite notifications, and that screenshots and videos randomly takes 24 hours to show up on their profile after saving them to the cloud (usually goes instantaneously)... if it works at all.  They've also had a ton of problems lately with bots mass spamming links to viruses that take over your account and send virus links to everyone on your friends list... so much so they developed a policy where new accounts have to spend $5 in the store before you can use basic Steam functionality like messaging.  The list goes on.

I'm sure Steam seems great if you just poke your head in from time to time, and maybe it's just because they offer more than other services that they have so many problems, but PSN is a well oiled machine compared to it.  Hacking incidents aside.

Do we actually use steam ? well I'm not sure about Lei fang, but I do and I prefer it over PSN. Once i'm done with PS4 I'm fully switching to PC, so I will be using it even more (Promiscuous Bacon is the name, you know in case you wanna act like a smart ass next time or still doubting whether I use it or not)

I never had any problems with the steam since I started using it 2 years ago and I use it DAILY. It doesn't go down as many times as PSN does (yes I'm repeating this again). It undergoes maintenance from time to time, but they don't last long and you can still play your downloaded games offline. If the site refuses to load or you are encountering problems with the client, that's probably due to either your shitty connection or crappy machine :)

My question, do YOU actually use steam as much as I and others do ? or you just like to make up stories and random crap ? I know you have something against the PC community (i remember seeing you talking crap on other thread regarding Batman AK's pc port)

Well oiled ?lol. Got hacked so many times, it has shitty servers and awful security. yeah, well oiled... You really need to learn the definition of well oiled ... rofl

Not saying it is bad, but it has nothing on steam

Ciao :P

Edited by Samurai Falafel

Well oiled ?lol. Got hacked so many times, it has shitty servers and awful security. yeah, well oiled... You really need to learn the definition of well oiled ... rofl

A lot of great examples here.... definitely put me in my place.  -_-  Maybe if you say how it's security causes it to get hacked a few more times.

If you do nothing but go on Steam, load up a game and be on your merry way... you probably don't notice many of the issues.  Games do still work when the service goes offline (though achievements won't timestamp).  If you actually use Steams community features on a daily basis though (which I can't imagine you do with 8 friends on the service; not a criticism, it's just relevant to my point)... it's issues start becoming apparent very quickly.  On almost a daily basis, something isn't working right, as I mentioned examples of in my previous post.

And if my "crappy machine" can run that abortion of a port that Batman Arkham Knight was, I sure as hell hope it can load the Steam website.  Though I guess blaming my connection or my PC makes for a pretty easy cop out.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

If you do nothing but go on Steam, load up a game and be on your merry way... you probably don't notice many of the issues.  Games do still work when the service goes offline (though achievements won't timestamp).  If you actually use Steams community features on a daily basis though (which I can't imagine you do with 8 friends on the service; not a criticism, it's just relevant to my point)... it's issues start becoming apparent very quickly.  On almost a daily basis, something isn't working right, as I mentioned examples of in my previous post.

And if my "crappy machine" can run that abortion of a port that Batman Arkham Knight was, I sure as hell hope it can load the Steam website.  Though I guess blaming my connection or my PC makes for a pretty easy cop out.

Wow, you actually know what I do on steam ? WHAAAAT???

I actually use steam community features such as the forums, guides, photo uploads,  browse recent activities. I only have 8 friends because those who I play with. I don't need more, but that doesn't mean I don't interact with the others or use other features. I never had any problems, so again it is either your machine or your shitty connection. I don't what's hard to understand about that 

So please, stop talking about stuff you don't know. Use the client and website as much as I do actually then reply to me...

I actually use steam community features, and such the forums, guides, photo uploads,  browse recent activities. I only have 8 friends because those who I play with. I don't need more, but that doesn't mean I don't interact with the others or use other features (. I never had any problems, so again it is either your machine or your shitty connection. I don't what's hard to understand about that 

I tend to horde Steam friends for the expressed purpose of having oodles of activity to read through every day.  I add anyone and everyone.  If they don't post, participate or communicate with me in some way shape or form, they get deleted.  Back not too long ago when I was more heavily into PC gaming, I would read through my friend feed literally morning, noon and night (thanks to the power of smartphones).  If I didn't personally experience issues... which to this day is just as common as I've said it is, I absolutely heard about the issues that went on when I wasn't around from the 100+ people from every time zone posting about it.

You don't have to get so heinously offended, the whole "Do you guys actually use Steam?" was really meant more as a light jab than anything.  I don't doubt that you use it.  Though the more you insist the service is perfect, the less inclined I am to think you use certain features as much as you say you do.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

You don't have to get so offended, the whole "Do you guys actually use Steam?" was really meant more as a light little jab than anything.  I don't doubt that you use it.  Though the more you insist the service is perfect, the less inclined I am to think you use certain features as much as you say you do.  Not that you care what I'm inclined to think.

1) I never got offended, after all both are nothing but sources of entertainment. You threw a light jab, I just responded. Maybe my response was a bit too much  :awesome:  (I'm always like this). I may sound offended, but I'm not. (I get offended if someone insulted me personally, not something I use or like). 

2) I never insisted that the service is perfect, nothing is perfect, not psn not origin not gog no no no nothing. I said it is better and explained why based on my experience. I've had a psn account way before I made a steam one. I use both daily, but lean more towards Steam.

PSN is getting there, Sony started doing these flash sales (not as good as steam, hold on there hold on, when there is a steam sale go compare the games and prices and see for yourself how the steam sales are better). However, they really need to do something about their servers quality, now that we are paying for the online portion I think we have the right to complain and demand a better service. Constantly being down really gets annoying after a period of time (this is something I -I as in Ion- and I repeat I never experienced on Steam based on a daily usage).

We cool now ? did I explain my point better than before ? I hope so, and sorry if I got a little bit rude above (it is my normal way of responding online) 

• Like 1

Steam by far, it's free, more stable than PSN, the sales are cheaper and far bigger/more frequent, the sense of community is much better thanks to a more fleshed out set of features and a game hub for each game(guides, customizable profiles, community forums where you can interact with developers and other players, ect.) , you have the Steam marketplace which gives players the opportunity to make real money to buy games and content and to top it of you have the absolute largest collection of games that dwarfs the competition.

It's a standard of quality and excellence I hope Sony will one day achieve.

• Like 2

The outages from hacker attacks aside; which are a big deal but lets be honest, no service is safe if the right group of hackers want it bad enough... I'd be curious if someone could elaborate on how often PSN goes down.  Since stability seems to be a common thread.

Not to say it doesn't happen, but in my 4-5 years of off and on owning a PS3 and/or PS4... I can't remember the last time PSN randomly disconnected me simply because of service instability, or wouldn't let me sign in.  At least outside of the odd scenario where it happens, then works the next try.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

The outages from hacker attacks aside; which are a big deal but lets be honest, no service is safe if the right group of hackers want it bad enough... I'd be curious if someone could elaborate on how often PSN goes down.  Since stability seems to be a common thread.

Not to say it doesn't happen, but in my 4-5 years of off and on owning a PS3 and/or PS4... I can't remember the last time PSN randomly disconnected me simply because of service instability, or wouldn't let me sign in.  At least outside of the odd scenario where it happens, then works the next try.

I don't experience outages as much as I experience inconsistency, I ever since PS4 was released I experience heavy bottlenecking to my download speeds sometimes which cripples them to the point that this happens (Shakey camera work sorry, it was meant for a friend to see if they knew it was wrong >_<):

Zye1Yrj.gif

There was also a point where I and my friends would experience message delay where it would take hours to send/recieve new messages for a few months. I have 50Mbps internet, and to have to deal with things like that on a service I'm actually paying for is pretty bad.

Edited by Hailst0rm_2
  • Like 1

I don't experience outages as much as I experience inconsistency, I ever since PS4 was released I experience heavy bottlenecking to my download speeds sometimes which cripples them to the point that this happens (Shakey camera work sorry, it was meant for a friend to see if they knew it was wrong >_<):

There was also a point where I and my friends would experience message delay where it would take hours to send/recieve new messages for a few months. I have 50Mbps internet, and to have to deal with things like that on a service I'm actually paying for is pretty bad.

That's a pretty fair concern, The download speeds happen to me as well, though I always just assume that it's just my wifi acting up.  I'm guessing you're probably wired in however... and taking hours to send messages is really bad on Sony's end.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

He said nobody buys physical games 

Your friend is a retard. I've lost count of the amount of people that say they hate digital games and prefer physical. I'm one of them. The only reason I would download a game is if I can't find a physical copy or it's digital only (Scott Pilgrim comes to mind). 

On the subject of the poll, I love Sony to death, but I have to give the edge to Steam simply because of their incredible prices for games.

Why are you being so defensive? ._. No one is forcing you to use Steam lol

But...

1235462_10151603392301681_1027968550_n1.

People are like "PC multiplayer is freeeeee!" and are acting like this would be a killerfeature or whatever. :D

At least Sony has no cashgrab-"I swear I will finish the game! ... (not)"-greenlight-games, which are always a patchwork out of different stolen ressources, like "Into The War" or "RIP" (FPS is a very popular genre for this), cost way too much and have microtransaction which are going to make you way to op, like in "Batla" eg. :P And then suddenly some game get removed and their servers closed because they made probably enough cash with it and bye bye, we see you in our next copy&pasted "game"!  :awesome:

The Reviews about these Greenlight games are always funny :D

Edited by Neputyunu

I think Steam is better service overall but the only reason why PC games are so cheap is because people can download them for free from illegal sites and to prevent that companies prefer to lower the prices. Also download speed is pretty amazing on ps4. I downloaded DRIVECLUB(26gb) in about 10hours while playing GTA Online :)