The Wii/Wii U Must-Have's?

PleaseHoldOn

Hey guys,

Fiddling around with my fancy new Wii U the last few days.  It came with Super Mario 3D World, which I actually am finding a little disappointing.  With people comparing it to Super Mario 64, I was hoping for less emphasis on coop and more of a "world" to get into (that castle in Mario 64 was a character in and of itself).  That didn't really happen, it's more of a mish mash of Mario 3 and Mario 64 with an isometric camera and coop.  Not that it's a bad game, but not really what I was looking for.  Kind of seems like the days of the classic Nintendo single player 3D platformer's have come and gone.

(Not to mention the thought of Mario in a cat suit crawling on all fours and saying "MEEOOWWW!" to the camera makes me really uncomfortable for some reason... which is almost all he does in this game!) xD

I don't want one game to lessen the experience though, and I'd really prefer that this thing not gather dust because it's a really solid little gaming system at the end of the day.  I know the obvious games to look into, Zelda Wind Waker HD, Super Smash Bros.  That Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze game.  A friend of mine suggested Hyrule Warriors.  I think picking up some Wiimotes and one of the Wii Sports games is a given because my family loves the bowling games.  I'll probably dabble into the virtual console stuff as well (ie. playing Mario 64 again lol).  Mario Galaxy (2 at least) is on my radar as well.

Are there any good single player 3D platformers out there on the Wii or Wii U?  Any "must haves"?  What other "must haves" do you think I should look into?  Thanks!

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I believe you should definitely check out the following.

• Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii game available on Wii U eShop | Requires Wiimote and Nunchuck)
  • ZombiU (Wii U game available for cheap at retail)
  • Super Metroid (SNES game available on Wii U eShop)
  • Metroid (NES game available on Wii U eShop)
  • Metroid Fusion (GBA game available on Wii U eShop)
  • Splatoon (Wii U game available at retail)
  • Mario Kart 8 (Wii U game available at retail)

I think you should check out Bayonetta 2 as well.

I cannot stress BCake93's suggestion enough. Loved the original Bayonetta on X360 and it's just heartbreaking that I can't play the sequel unless I fork over the cash for a Wii U, a console I wouldn't even use for anything other than Bayonetta 2.

• Like 1

Bayonetta 2

Super Mario 3D World

Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Hyrule Warriors

Xenoblade Chronicles

Splatoon

Mario Kart

Pikmin 3

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Wind Waker HD

Upcoming:

Mario Maker

Star Fox

Mighty No. 9

Bloodstained

Edited by pPpPancakes

I am not a fan of the Wii by any means but I do have a few games that I ended up enjoying. I will list them.

Transformers: The Game - This was actually a pretty well done movie-based game. It's a destructible open world, and has a lot of hidden goodies to find, which unlock "lost" episodes of the G1 TV series and a series of concept art for the game and various comic book covers by Dark Horse. You can freely switch between vehicle and battle mode, destroy the environment, and unlock different skins. It was a also touch that you can play two different campaigns as either an Autobot or a Decepticon, and it has two endings, one good and one evil. Depending on the level, you play as certain Transformers, but for the most part you play as either Bumblebee, Optimus, Megatron or Starscream. Aside from having a series of missions to access in the world, you can also enter zones that start an arena-style brawl with either Decepticons or Autobots as the enemies, depending on the faction you are currently playing as. It didn't hurt that the graphics were a huge leap forward for the Wii, but as a result, it suffers stuttering and fps dips at times.

Little King's Story - A cute RPG life-management sim that revolves around you becoming the biggest badass around. It's been years since I played it but I definitely remember that it was a lot of fun to play. Basically, you have to expand your village and make sure your subjects remain happy. you can oversee architecture and expansion of the village, and also explore the world and enter combat. However, in order save your game, you must return to the hub area, which can be strenuous if you are close to death and far away from it.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade - A game that originated on this very platform before the enhanced edition was ported to the PS Vita. A side scrolling platformer RPG, that dared push the boundaries of conventional role-playing. Hand painted environments, beautiful atmospheric music, epic boss battles, and a gripping story that combines Japan's golden age of mythology and a journey that would unite two seemingly unimportant characters on a quest to save the world. This game has two modes: hard and harder. Combat is not easy. It requires skill, and patience, but sticking with it to the end will prove a worthwhile experience.

Honestly compared to the 3DS, there's not that many I would suggest. I always think Nintendo excel more in the handheld department.

Having said that, I've sunk 300+ hours into each of Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 and they're both definitely worth buying, especially Splatoon (I actually prefer MK7 to MK8)

Speaking for Wii:

-Mario Galaxy

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl

-Mario Kart wii.

-Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

-Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition

-Resident Evil Archives (only if you didn't play them before).

Etc.

But the ultimate MUST have is:

The Homebrew channel and all its useful perks ;). Dunno if it's still available though.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

It is available on the Wii U through Smash Bros on the Wii, this is worth it to any Wii U owners a it makes the Wii U even more BC with NGC games being playable. Only problem is that you need an original Wii to Copy your NGC discs, the Wii U can't read them so you play off iso's instead. Sounds like I'm offering piracy, I'm really not, you can do this legitimately. I've had no problems with the Wii U doing this, it also means you can put away your old wii and NGC. If you have a look at my games collection on the topic of the same name, all of those Wii and NGC titles are now played off HDD, it is super convenient for imports as well. Nuff said, I have a fare share of legit digital games I've bought that I need to keep so hopefully Nintendo ignores this, it doesn't effect the Wii U.

I am tempted to buy a Wii U in the future and the games that peeked my interest were:

- Super Mario 3D World (Surprised that you found it disappointing, as I enjoyed playing it for 30 minutes the chance I got to play it)

- Bayonetta 2 (Played the first one and loved it and I believe the Wii U version comes bundled with the first game as well)

- ZombiU (Even though it has been announced for PS4 as a digital release, it's fun to play on the Wii U when I saw a friend play it)

- Hyrule Warriors (Only if you love Dynasty Warriors style games though)

- Splatoon (This game was very addictive when I had the chance to try it out) 

As for Wii games that I actually own and played:

- Resident Evil Zero (The point and shoot element is quite good)

- 007 Golden Eye (A must own even if you're not a James Bond fan)