Older legendary armor and weapons from year 1 won't progress on year 2.

Aranea Highwind

Here some excerpt from the article.

"Older legendary armor and weapons from across Destiny’s first year are NOT set to progress in power as Year Two begins"

-The light system will be removed. The level caps will be of 40.

-Nolan North will be the new voice of the Ghost.
-You'll receive fewer duplicate items and more gear that's better than what you have.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/4/9095421/destiny-the-taken-king-level-cap-peter-dinklage-legendary-weapons

Game Informer reports that The Taken King will raise Destiny's level cap to 40, and that the expansion will restructure the entire progression system as well. Leveling will no longer be tied to Light; instead, you'll simply reach new levels by earning experience all the way from the beginning of the game to level 40. As you rank up, you'll unlock the ability to use new weapons and armor, which will still provide power gains. In addition,Destiny developer Bungie is tweaking the game's loot algorithm to take your existing gear into account, so you'll receive fewer duplicate items and more gear that's better than what you have.

Game Informer also reports that the legendary gear players have come to know and love — items that Bungie is referring to as "Year One" weapons and armor — won't get any stronger than it is now. The Taken King will kick off the second year of Destiny, and while Game Informer says Year One gear will suffice for the early part of the expansion, "dozens" of new Year Two weapons and armor pieces will quickly eclipse the existing items. Say goodbye to your 365-attack Fatebringers and Found Verdicts, Guardians.The Taken King will recast Destiny's Ghost, replacing the much-maligned Peter Dinklage with veteran voice actor Nolan North, according to Game Informer. North plays the role of Ghost in The Taken King's missions, and Bungie had him re-record all of Dinklage's existing dialogue, too — the expansion completely replaces Dinklage's performance with North's, eliminating the Game of Thrones star from Destiny entirely.

"There are definitely some weapons that you are going to find better versions of — there's going to be something that replaces that sniper rifle that you love," said Luke Smith, creative director on The Taken King, in an interview with Game Informer.

That's a pretty massive change and makes me want to get back into the game. The incessant grinding for horribly RNG'd loot made me stop playing almost a month after launch. Might go back now and clean up that plat.t I'm glad Dinklage got removed, he clearly didn't have the chops for VA.

Do not dismantle your existing gear yet. Here what Bungie community manager said a few minutes ago.

"There is a lot of new info in that article which I'm sure raises a lot of questions.. When DeeJ and the away team get back from gamescom next week we will share our plan for a series of Twitch events that will answer these questions. So you might hold off on dismantling anything until you have all of the info. Soon..."

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/144097729/0/0/1

Edited by Paige

Wow, I'm actually quite happy about this!As soon as I reached level 20 with my second and third chars, I opened blue engrams and got instant light level 24 and just passed my weapons to my other character. It was kind of absurd. I will love that exp will still be useful past 20. I don't consider weapon exp or mote of lights any representation of your leveling.

Hope they twink the engram system as well, I want more legendaries eng often, even though they are not supposed to give better stuff than what i have. I don't care.

Edit: about the dub, are they changing the international versions as well? The Sepiks Prime strike dub is HORRENDOUS. 

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 1

When I saw this statement, I felt sad and happy at the same time.

The sad thing: "Goodbye" to our ol' reliable VoG gear (I'll miss my warlock with Million Million and Cuirass of the Hezen Lords at max level), so no more Fatebringer, Vision of Confluence, Efrideet's Spear, etc. BUT, this doesn't mean these weapons will be rendered useless, I am pretty sure they will still be competitive, they were even being 65 attack points weaker before, so why should it be different now? At least by a short shot.

The good thing: We'll have different ways to beat the crap outta the enemies. I mean, what's the most popular loadout of PvE players? Fatebringer, Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn AFAIK. Now, we won't rely on these weapons as much as we did and we'll go after something new, giving us purpose to try something different and have fun with it (When I dropped my first No Land Beyond, I simply LOVED using that piece of scrap on PvE... at least on Roc strikes).

About Dinklebot, unfortunately I don't have much to say about him, mainly because most of the time I was playing Destiny in Portuguese, but the parts I've seen with his voice acting, I think it was a pretty decent job. Well, a Ghost is an AI (AFAIK) so a robotic voice... without showing emotions.... well, for me it was NOT UNexpected. Now that Dinklebot is going to say farewell, I will play Destiny in English to pay more attention to his job and see if I can have a better argument about his voice acting.
Well, let's just board this hype train and in late October I will chase Oryx... yeah, I will get there late because I'll play the Taken King on a PS4 and I plan to buy its Limited Edition PS4.

TL_DR: I liked all these changes, they will give us more ways to be unique, just like we already are with the armor.

Pretty big move to ditch the Light Leveling considering how much grinding people put in to get to 34. It will benefit me personally I guess as I am only a level 29 :D

Gutted that Dinklage is being dropped but I would lie if I was to say I am not looking forward to hearing Nolan North as the voice of your Ghost. 

I'm pretty sure we will begin at lv 20 as soon as TK drops. DeeJ said we're good to go with the gear we already have even if we are at level 26 AND, since they're beginning to give attention to XP levelling, they will continue from where they stopped: at XP Level 20. Accordingly to Destiny Tracker, the "XP level" for guardians after level 20 is called Prestige Level and I'm pretty sure this will continue too because I've seen a blue XP bar during "The Coming War" gameplay showed on DeeJ's interview to IGN. Well, for me all of this was pretty obvious since the start, but we didn't receive official words about this so, who knows? Still, I can bet one of my two Gjallarhorns that we'll resume from lv 20.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I'm actually quite happy about this!As soon as I reached level 20 with my second and third chars, I opened blue engrams and got instant light level 24 and just passed my weapons to my other character. It was kind of absurd. I will love that exp will still be useful past 20. I don't consider weapon exp or mote of lights any representation of your leveling.

Hope they twink the engram system as well, I want more legendaries eng often, even though they are not supposed to give better stuff than what i have. I don't care.

Edit: about the dub, are they changing the international versions as well? The Sepiks Prime strike dub is HORRENDOUS. 

Well, fuck all of this I've said before if you don't have DLC.

• Like 1