Resident Evil 2 Remake is Official

Aranea Highwind

There was actually some recent news about this remake, which made fans believe it would release some time this month. Now, as we approach the end of the month, that doesn't look probable. But, it definitely looks like something is about to happen soon. I am expecting the Resident Evil 2 Remake will release this year!

I do find it quite strange that we've gone this long without them showing off any gameplay, or even just a simple teaser trailer. I mean it's Resident Evil 2 - it never was a particularly big game. I hope this means they're focusing on making the game and it's nearing completion, not that they've silently canned it. They probably just have a small team working on it.

Edited by Undead Wolf

8 hours ago, ddracarys said:

There was actually some recent news about this remake, which made fans believe it would release some time this month. Now, as we approach the end of the month, that doesn't look probable. But, it definitely looks like something is about to happen soon. I am expecting the Resident Evil 2 Remake will release this year!

Something tells me it's not releasing this year. They would have showed off gameplay or announced something if this were happening 

• Like 1

i am worried myself. if any of these leaks are real they have already killed REmake 2.

OTS that will kill the atmosphere, the staple Crocodile fight/puzzle removed, Hunk removed (probably to re-sell as "dlc"), the Scenarios removed, Now that is if the leaks are to be believed.

I really hope the "leaks" are fake. If this game is not done like REmake 1 then they might as well just make a whole new game.

9 hours ago, StealthBlade98 said:

Something tells me it's not releasing this year. They would have showed off gameplay or announced something if this were happening 

The year just started, to cut off hope that the Resident Evil 2 Remake will not be releasing this year is just absurd. Besides, May - July is always the time where most of the big gaming news is put out. I would assume it would be announced during this time. PSX, E3, TGS, PGW, the VGAs and many other gaming events are still very much upon us. Don't disclose so easily.

This game will be in everyone's face when official word of release date comes out.

To the fans waiting for this (impatiently): play something else for the meantime. There's a smorgasbord of video games out now. Finish your backlog. Don't lie, you have one.

On 1/26/2018 at 2:09 AM, ddracarys said:

The year just started, to cut off hope that the Resident Evil 2 Remake will not be releasing this year is just absurd. Besides, May - July is always the time where most of the big gaming news is put out. I would assume it would be announced during this time. PSX, E3, TGS, PGW, the VGAs and many other gaming events are still very much upon us. Don't disclose so easily.

There's no reason not to disclose, we've heard NOTHING about this game since it's announcement. NOTHING. All we got is rumors and leaks. I mean a remake of a game like this which wasn't big to begin with shouldn't take this long. 

On 1/26/2018 at 3:30 AM, migsmeister said:

This game will be in everyone's face when official word of release date comes out.

To the fans waiting for this (impatiently): play something else for the meantime. There's a smorgasbord of video games out now. Finish your backlog. Don't lie, you have one.

Dude, we've been waiting for this game for almost 2-3 years by playing other games. So suggest we're impatiently waiting is just nonsense. We've been patient enough, we deserve actual legit information about this game with timeline when this could release and thus far we haven't gotten any. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StealthBlade98 said:

There's no reason not to disclose, we've heard NOTHING about this game since it's announcement. NOTHING. All we got is rumors and leaks. I mean a remake of a game like this which wasn't big to begin with shouldn't take this long.  

I understand your annoyances with this, but I still disagree. I don't know about you, but I personally have no idea how game development works. What I assume is that it's nonstop hard work until the project is almost done or finished, to a caliber where the directors are satisfied enough to release a trailer or some news. Bearing in mind how bumpy and harsh the original release of RE2 was, I'd say the guys at CAPCOM working hard on this deserve all the time they need. I can tell your a major Resident Evil fan, like myself, so wouldn't you want an Resident Evil 2 Remake to come out in it's best possible state, rather than a lazy remastering?

What you mentioned, about RE2 "not being a big deal to begin with", is largely false. Since you are a major fan of the series, you should know that RE2 is probably the most critically acclaimed game in the series. Not just from critics either, fans across the board have labelled RE2 as the pinnacle of the series. You may disagree, but that doesn't change fact I'm afraid.

Have some more faith friend, Resident Evil 2 Remake is coming this year. I only have my good feelings about this to back me up on that statement, which probably doesn't mean anything to you, but at least I know it myself deep inside. Maybe this will mean more to you than my words, and whether anything in that article is to be believed or not, the sudden increase in Resident Evil 2 Remake rumors / news / hints / leaks is enough to tell the game is definitely on it's way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ddracarys said:

I understand your annoyances with this, but I still disagree. I don't know about you, but I personally have no idea how game development works. What I assume is that it's nonstop hard work until the project is almost done or finished, to a caliber where the directors are satisfied enough to release a trailer or some news.

It's less to do with where the directors are satisfied with it as it is with the fans. Capcom has been messing up RE for years after RE4 released. Every RE game after that was disappointing and moving away form the core formula that made the games great. The reason why I believe we need information is because the fans who loved RE2 immensely and grew up with it such as I, need to know if the remake is the same as the original and not trying to change the formula to RE5 or RE7. This is a very important situation where everything hangs in the balance and if they do anything stupid with the remake it could come crashing down. This is why fans are worried the remake is simply thrown out or the game not going to be the same. The size of RE2 was not that big and the environments were static images. Outside of touching up the quality of the images it shouldn't take long to get something going to show off. I don't even think PS4 graphics fidelity is needed for RE2, hell PS3 graphics of RE2 is fantastic enough imo. But as i said before 2-3 years is simply unacceptable to not even show off 1 freaking trailer, or images of how it's coming along. We got plenty with RE5, RE6 and RE7 and those games weren't good. My annoyances is at a all time high with capcom with the silly design choices they've done over the years where something like RE2 and RE3 Nemesis(remakes) needs to keep the same formula we expect and show off progress of some kind. 

What you mentioned, about RE2 "not being a big deal to begin with", is largely false. Since you are a major fan of the series, you should know that RE2 is probably the most critically acclaimed game in the series. Not just from critics either, fans across the board have labelled RE2 as the pinnacle of the series. You may disagree, but that doesn't change fact I'm afraid.

No; What I said was "a game like this, which RE2 wasn't big to begin with" In the context of what I was addressing was not popularity but the size of the game wasn't big. Which i mentioned earlier that the environments were static images and don't need much processing power to render nor is there huge environmental things going on unless it's scripted. You simply misinterpreted what I was saying which you could have asked to elaborate more rather than assume I was saying one thing when I wasn't. 

Have some more faith friend, Resident Evil 2 Remake is coming this year. I only have my good feelings about this to back me up on that statement, which probably doesn't mean anything to you, but at least I know it myself deep inside. Maybe this will mean more to you than my words, and whether anything in that article is to be believed or not, the sudden increase in Resident Evil 2 Remake rumors / news / hints / leaks is enough to tell the game is definitely on it's way.

Sorry my faith is running very very short these days, and i've waited long enough. The time for excuses is over; The time for "waiting patiently" is over. The time for capcom to put up or shut up is now. 3 years is too long with NOTHING. Hell Final Fantasy 7 Remake has shown off more trailers and images than RE2 remake and that game is just as much critically acclaimed with the JRPG genre as RE2 is for Survival Horror Genre but the difference is FF7 Remake is vastly bigger with more stuff going on. 
It's simply unacceptable and i'm sick of excuses. With nothing being shown thus far for images, teaser trailers or the like to suggest it's coming out this year is foolish. I'm a fan of RE sure but i'm not stupid either capcom has made too many mistakes since Mikami left and right now i don't really have any positivity for this remake with the lack of information.

I don't want rumors I want concrete proof from capcom, the lack of transparency of what's going on and the step by step process and getting fans involved with the remake and thoughts is a MAJOR problem I have with capcom. If you guys want to blindly have positive thoughts on the remake and think it's coming this year with no real stuff being shown at all that's your prerogative but I'm not going to do this. Capcom needs to win me over with the remake that I been patiently waiting since RE1 Remake and RE-Zero Remake.

Edit: Also that link suggests changes including the crocodile section which if that is true will ruin the experience of the remake. I don't want anything changed and that link is suggesting from 4chan that things were changed. This is why my early comments were necessary. 

Edited by StealthBlade98

4 hours ago, StealthBlade98 said:

It's less to do with where the directors are satisfied with it as it is with the fans. Capcom has been messing up RE for years after RE4 released. Every RE game after that was disappointing and moving away form the core formula that made the games great. The reason why I believe we need information is because the fans who loved RE2 immensely and grew up with it such as I, need to know if the remake is the same as the original and not trying to change the formula to RE5 or RE7. This is a very important situation where everything hangs in the balance and if they do anything stupid with the remake it could come crashing down. This is why fans are worried the remake is simply thrown out or the game not going to be the same. The size of RE2 was not that big and the environments were static images. Outside of touching up the quality of the images it shouldn't take long to get something going to show off. I don't even think PS4 graphics fidelity is needed for RE2, hell PS3 graphics of RE2 is fantastic enough imo. But as i said before 2-3 years is simply unacceptable to not even show off 1 freaking trailer, or images of how it's coming along. We got plenty with RE5, RE6 and RE7 and those games weren't good. My annoyances is at a all time high with capcom with the silly design choices they've done over the years where something like RE2 and RE3 Nemesis(remakes) needs to keep the same formula we expect and show off progress of some kind.

You call yourself a fan, yet you cannot wait for a simple announcement that is obviously happening soon (I know it’s been years in the making, so has every other game been ever fyi), flat out mock the developers / CAPCOM (the developers of this series that you apparently love), you’re practically screaming for new content yet you disclose to play or like EVERY entry into the series after Resident Evil 4, you’re clentching onto hope that this remake is an exact copy paste of Resident Evil 2, which also tells me you don’t know how game development works either.

Hating the “new era” of Resident Evil is getting a bit old mate. And it sounds pretty vacuous too, considering how well most of the games sold and how extremely fun they were either way. My advice? If you love something this much, you should be willing to let it go. The game industry is changing, it started changing almost a century ago. Obviously the games will change too. You can either change with them, and accept the change. Or stay how you are now, hoping for a game that will never release. Good luck, either route you choose, you’ll need it!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

You call yourself a fan, yet you cannot wait for a simple announcement that is obviously happening soon (I know it’s been years in the making, so has every other game been ever fyi), flat out mock the developers / CAPCOM (the developers of this series that you apparently love), you’re practically screaming for new content yet you disclose to play or like EVERY entry into the series after Resident Evil 4, you’re clentching onto hope that this remake is an exact copy paste of Resident Evil 2, which also tells me you don’t know how game development works either.

Hating the “new era” of Resident Evil is getting a bit old mate. And it sounds pretty vacuous too, considering how well most of the games sold and how extremely fun they were either way. My advice? If you love something this much, you should be willing to let it go. The game industry is changing, it started changing almost a century ago. Obviously the games will change too. You can either change with them, and accept the change. Or stay how you are now, hoping for a game that will never release. Good luck, either route you choose, you’ll need it!

I think u mean decade not century cause I don't think we had gaming anywhere close to a century ago we barely had tv 60 years ago

22 hours ago, ddracarys said:

You do realize even games that has a long time table to develop has produced some information, images or videos within that span right? We got nothing but speculation and rumors from 4chan. That doesn't bode well for me nor gives me any real confidence in the final product. Telling me i need to wait longer is just nonsense. I waited 2+ years since the announcement playing other games how is that not patient enough? Or how about people who waited 20 years for a remake? Why is a game like Final Fantasy VII Remake getting more information, trailers and progress reports on it's development than this game? FF7 Remake was announced back in June 2015(i think). That's pitiful that capcom can't muster anything about this remake and you believe this is acceptable is rather sad. 
I have every right to criticize RE5, 6, 7 because they weren't RE-0, 1, 2, 3(Nemesis) and 4. 

It's one thing to expect changes it's another thing to see an important section like the crocodile one completely removed for some odd known reason if that is true. That's like removing the sections of RE1 HD that had the Hunter encounters which were vital parts of the game experience. 

22 hours ago, ddracarys said:

Of course the new ones sold well, they were catering to a different consumer type. RE7 changes with it's Player View really wasn't what I wanted and it felt like Capcom was trying to reinvent the wheel of survival horror rather than going back to what worked with the originals. I'm not alone in thinking this. I was critical about that game when i first heard about it just on the FPV alone. And after seeing the reception post launch alot of people didn't like it as it felt too much like F3AR or some other horror game with FPV than it did as a Resident Evil Game. RE5 was a run and gun shooter game with tons of ammo, there was hardly any traditional survival horror in that game. It was a good action game but it was a bad resident evil game. RE6 is an example of "trying to please everyone, pleases no one" and the quality was crap. Again the general consensus among fans was 6 was a huge disappointment and only Leon's Section was traditional RE style of gameplay. 

Telling me to let it go or change with them is all fine and dandy but you forget that Capcom were the ones saying they wanted to return to survival horror with RE7 and this propelled them remastering RE1 and RE-Zero Remakes and announcing RE2 Remake. So that response is rather conflicting considering capcom's stance on returning to its "roots", but they missed the ball with RE7. Not saying it was complete trash but it wasn't great either. 

• Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎27 at 6:42 PM, StealthBlade98 said:

Dude, we've been waiting for this game for almost 2-3 years by playing other games. So suggest we're impatiently waiting is just nonsense. We've been patient enough, we deserve actual legit information about this game with timeline when this could release and thus far we haven't gotten any. 

Lol, "we deserve"? As much as the idea of a RE2 remake is exciting, Capcom does not really need to remake it. No game NEEDS to be remade just because there's an audience for it. Any respectable creator/producer/developer should be pursuing a project on their own terms because THEY want to do it, not because someone's pressuring them to do it. How long it takes for them to complete it shouldn't be anyone's business. Anyone who doesn't like that can put their money someplace else, just like with everything. It's a free world, right? 

• Like 1

i am worried that all these "rumored" leaks might be right which is why they have said nothing. they know they are changing the game TOO much and are afraid of the backlash. If the game is not done like REmake 1 then i will put my money elsewhere. Does this game need a remake not really but if you are going to do a remake do it RIGHT.

Rumored leaks i have seen so far are:

NO A&B scenarios

NO alligator fight/Puzzle

OTS camera (killing the atmosphere and changing the game to a shoot-melee combo fest)

NO Hunk 4th survivor game (probably to be sold as disc locked content)

You can see why I am worried. I will wait and see IF they ever release any info or if they cancel the game out-right though.

FF7 look too different and that one also has me worried as well, plus with the whole divided game bit I will wait for a complete edition despite that being years. FF7 Re-Imagining looks to be more like a KH with a FF7 skin on it.

We will just have to wait and see what happens with both games. But Com is doing a terrible job right now while Square is at least making an effort.

I do agree with you on RE7, their whole point was "returning to the roots"  but instead we got something completely different from RE.

Edited by DarkHarmonixer
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 2:20 AM, migsmeister said:

Lol, "we deserve"? As much as the idea of a RE2 remake is exciting, Capcom does not really need to remake it. No game NEEDS to be remade just because there's an audience for it. Any respectable creator/producer/developer should be pursuing a project on their own terms because THEY want to do it, not because someone's pressuring them to do it. How long it takes for them to complete it shouldn't be anyone's business. Anyone who doesn't like that can put their money someplace else, just like with everything. It's a free world, right? 

You would have a point if capcom never announced a Remake of Resident Evil 2 and wanting to return to "Survival Horror Roots". The bottom line is Capcom knows financially they're not doing well and this won't really help them by screwing around with arguably the best RE game to fans. 

As far as how long it takes to complete it is merely observation with how small RE2 was in game size. The only reason it would take any longer is if they're bloating the size with PS4 graphics and soundfiles which is completely unnecessary. But still, even if this is the case, we should get periodic updates on how it's progressing. FF7 graphically and quality was abysmal but it's story and gameplay was addicting. Even that game is showing off something within the same time span. Saying it's not our business is a load of rubbish, sorry. The game is aimed at hardcore fans who loved the Survival Horror, other wise Capcom wouldn't have bothered to do it. 

On 1/31/2018 at 10:57 PM, DarkHarmonixer said:

i am worried that all these "rumored" leaks might be right which is why they have said nothing. they know they are changing the game TOO much and are afraid of the backlash. If the game is not done like REmake 1 then i will put my money elsewhere. Does this game need a remake not really but if you are going to do a remake do it RIGHT.

Rumored leaks i have seen so far are:

NO A&B scenarios

NO alligator fight/Puzzle

OTS camera (killing the atmosphere and changing the game to a shoot-melee combo fest)

NO Hunk 4th survivor game (probably to be sold as disc locked content)

You can see why I am worried. I will wait and see IF they ever release any info or if they cancel the game out-right though.

Wow with changes like this it may be best to just cancel the remake. Those are the core features that makes the game what it is and that makes me just as concerned and less hyped for it. 

On 1/31/2018 at 10:57 PM, DarkHarmonixer said:

FF7 look too different and that one also has me worried as well, plus with the whole divided game bit I will wait for a complete edition despite that being years. FF7 Re-Imagining looks to be more like a KH with a FF7 skin on it.

We will just have to wait and see what happens with both games. But Com is doing a terrible job right now while Square is at least making an effort.

I do agree with you on RE7, their whole point was "returning to the roots"  but instead we got something completely different from RE.

I think the difference with FF7 is Nomura and Kitase is trying to redo the game and touching up all the core story elements of Before Crisis, After Crisis, Crisis Core, FF7 and Dirge of Cerberus and combining all of that into a well crafted version of FF7 to make it less confusing. Redesigning areas and tweaking the gameplay to be more modern was likely going to happen. The combat looks fun to me so i'm not really concerned with this game as it's a different animal to RE2 which while changes are to be expected nothing crazy that alters the core features that made RE2 RE2. An example is like remastering RE3 Nemesis and not having Nemesis chase you through raccoon city and removing the train portion leading to a different mansion. It's just wouldn't work. FF7 is a bit more flexible with what they can improve and change as long as the core plot features are left in tack. What's making me excited with the whole game divided into several parts is properly remastering every area and not cutting things out. An idea of having Part 1 of FF7 Remake with a fully explorable Midgar that adds so much new content to the game including new exploration areas like all the reactors within midgar with quests being given to cloud to do certain things gives me chills of excitement; Or giving a huge lore improvement to the Turks and giving them limelight in this game while having the end of part 1 be after killing the Motorball on the shinra highway and cloud and barret saying there thing and telling us to head to kalm town. It would give a nice segue way into part 2 where they can properly put time and energy into the best parts of the game without sacrificing anything just to put everything on 1 disc. Think of it as Nostalgia with FF7 3 disc's :) 
I get why people would be upset over it but personally i think this is for the best to retain quality over everything as much as possible. My suggestion would be for Part 2 and 3 be like expansions to the first part as a reduced price of $39.99 then have as you said a complete edition with 3 discs in a game case or something. :P 

Edited by StealthBlade98
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, Aranea Highwind said:

Rely on Horror has been a trusted source before but these are just rumors. Below is an article that was published today about the RE 2 remake.

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/source-resident-evil-2-remake-to-be-best-looking-entry-to-date/

It all sounded great until they mentioned the camera perspective being OTS, similar to Resident Evil 4. I really hope that's not true as it would completely change the feel of the game. At the very least they should include an option to play with fixed camera angles. Either way, I hope they're right about the game being shown off at this year's E3. I really want to know how it's shaping up.