Completion percentage all over the place?

I like to think I'm a decent completionist. There are definitely better people at it than me. I play tons of games, get one or a few trophies and then move on to something else and don't bother with the ones I started, forever damning my completion %. That isn't the issue, just a quick introduction.

Now, onto the main event. According to PSNP, I have a completion of 49.69% at present.

Strange. If you go into statistics, under my average, it says I'm a 56.61%.

If I go on PSNTrophyleaders, furthermore, it also has my completion at 56%.

Finally, TrueTrophies also has it listed at 56%.

A bit of a discrepancy error there, no?

Why is PSNProfiles low balling me? And before you suggest I have hidden trophies... I don't.

Edited by Valyrious
  • Like 1

PSNP is your actual completion percent over all your games.

The average in the statistics (and also what's recorded on PSN Trophy Leaders and TT) is the average completion over all of your games.  An average is worked out by all adding all of your completion percentages for each individual game, then dividing that figure by the number of games in your list.

The 49.6% is your actual completion percentage, the 56% is your average so essentially there is no discrepancy.  It's just the difference between an actual and an average.  In the same way, if we looked at the median percentage (taking all the percentages and finding the middle one) it would be a different figure again.

Edited by RachP13
  • Like 3

The average in the statistics (and also what's recorded on PSN Trophy Leaders and TT) is the average completion over all of your games.  The average is worked out by all adding all of your completion percentages for each individual game, then dividing that figure by the number of games in your list.

The 49.6% is your actual completion percentage, the 56% is your average.

I see. Thanks for that clarification. I guess it then becomes the question of, which is more important to people? Personally, I don't give two craps what my overall completion score is. I don't play games strictly for platinums. If I did, you sure as hell wouldn't see a good amount of the games that I foolishly attempt. I view my average completion over all games far more insightful in the grand scheme of things.

The average in the statistics (and also what's recorded on PSN Trophy Leaders and TT) is the average completion over all of your games. The average is worked out by all adding all of your completion percentages for each individual game, then dividing that figure by the number of games in your list.

The 49.6% is your actual completion percentage, the 56% is your average.

Really? I thought it was worked out using points earned/points available Edited by Makise Kurisu

Really? I thought it was worked out using points earned/points available

It very likely is, guess I was just trying to give the differentiation between the actual and the average.  The average would still be calculated in the same way - all the points earned added up and then divided by the number of games played (and then the percentage calculated from there)

The average in the statistics (and also what's recorded on PSN Trophy Leaders and TT) is the average completion over all of your games.  The average is worked out by all adding all of your completion percentages for each individual game, then dividing that figure by the number of games in your list.

The 49.6% is your actual completion percentage, the 56% is your average so essentially there is no discrepancy.  It's just the difference between an actual and an average.  In the same way, if we looked at the median percentage (taking all the percentages and finding the middle one) it would be a different figure again.

Actually PSNP would be wrong since any 0% games aren't counted towards it.

I think PSNP works off of the xp total while truetrophies works off of the trophy totals as well so on PSNP a bronze and a platinum offer a different completion percent while on truetrophies they're the same.

I just calculated all of the percentages (5265) and divided them by the number of games (93) and it returned 56.61% so the principles of what I have outlined definitely work.

Actually PSNP would be wrong since any 0% games aren't counted towards it.

I think PSNP works off of the xp total while truetrophies works off of the trophy totals as well so on PSNP a bronze and a platinum offer a different completion percent while on truetrophies they're the same.

I've not really said that PSNP is right/wrong, I was just trying to explain the difference between actual values and average values.  I've taken a profile with 0% trophies on and the average on the statistics page here does include those.  Truetrophies also has it's own different XP calculations as well - it's down to personal preference as which figure people prefer to use.

The OP asked why the difference between the two figures, and I've attempted to answer that by providing an explanation of how the average calculation works.  They don't have any 0% on their profile so it's a relatively straightforward case.
Edited by RachP13

I just calculated all of the percentages (5265) and divided them by the number of games (93) and it returned 56.61% so the principles of what I have outlined definitely work.

I did the same thing 6219/79 got me 78.72 which is in my statistics.

T_T I could get that over 80% so easy. My cousin never responds to me when I ask to borrow his DBZ HD Budokai I started a couple years ago. <_<

• Like 1

I think 0% games are not included in this average

I've run a check on an account I know has 0% and they seemingly are included toward the average.

(rusty_knight17 - all the percentages combined including the 0% equal 386 and divided by 26 games brings back the average that is on the statistics page - 14.85%)

Maybe BlindMango or Sly could confirm how it all works, I believe there might also be a post already somewhere giving the breakdown of how it's all calculated.  Will have a search.

Maybe these could help clarify?

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/27622-completion-how-is-it-calculated/?hl=%2Bcompletion+%2Bpercentage#entry619687

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/24167-completion-percentage/?hl=%2Bcompletion+%2Bpercentage#entry523332

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/4570-completion-based-on/?hl=completion+percentage#entry75178

I believe hidden games can also have an impact on the completion percentage that shows on your trophy card.  Essentially I could hide all my incomplete games and artificially seem as though I have 100% completion on my trophy card.

I believe that PSN Trophy Leaders excludes anyone from the leader boards that have hidden games (although I could be mistaken)

Edited by RachP13
  • Like 1

0% games count towards total number of games played but I don't think it's included in the average completion rate, therefore you'd have to subtract the number of 0% games out of the total games played before you have an accurate completion calculation

I could be wrong

I always thought it was points earned/points available but unless my math is crap (and it probably is), I keep getting 91~% 93~% no matter what I do. 

So my average completion is 92.46%, but when I try to calculate it:

• Points Earned / Points Available (119,730/131,205) = 91.25%
  • Trophies earned / Trophies Available (4661/4986) = 93.46%
  • Percents / Total Percents = 93.3%

I have no 0% games and no hidden games, how on earth is this calculated then? xD

I always thought it was points earned/points available but unless my math is crap (and it probably is), I keep getting 91~% 93~% no matter what I do. 

So my average completion is 92.46%, but when I try to calculate it:

• Points Earned / Points Available (119,730/131,205) = 91.25%
  • Trophies earned / Trophies Available (4661/4986) = 93.46%
  • Percents / Total Percents = 93.3%

I have no 0% games and no hidden games, how on earth is this calculated then? xD

For the average percentage in the statistics page, it definitely works to add up all the percentages in the trophy list and divide by the number of games played (even with 0% games)  I've not yet figured out the figure on the trophy card page (even though all the previous topics indicate it's based on points)

Sly confirmed in one of the topics I made reference to that it's based on points and platinum trophies are not included so I wonder if you deduct the platinum trophy points from points earned and points available, and then did the same calculation, if that would = the trophy percentage on the trophy card.

My math is pretty good (I'm an accountant by trade :D)

Edited by RachP13

Oh I figured it out! For average completion on this website, trophies aren't given values of 15, 30, 90, and 180 oddly enough. They are given values of 1 (Bronze), 2 (Silver), 3 (Gold), and 4 (Platinum)

So earned trophies is:

• Bronze 3146 x 1 = 3146
  • Silver 1164 x 2 = 2328
  • Gold 284 x 3 = 852
  • Platinum 67 x 4 = 268
  • TOTAL = 6592

Unearned Trophies is:

• Bronze 181 x 1 = 181
  • Silver 94 x 2 = 188
  • Gold 36 x 3 = 108
  • Platinum 15 x 4 = 60
  • TOTAL = 537

So 537 + 6592 is 7131 total possible points I can earn.

6592/7131 = 92.46%!

Try it out on your profiles too :P You get each tier of unearned trophy by going to trophy advisor, turning DLC trophies on, then filtering only Gold, or only Bronze, etc...

Give this man a cookie! :)

Glad that was resolved...can you maybe sticky this calculation somewhere?  No doubt it will be asked again in the future

• Like 1

Oh I figured it out! For average completion on this website, trophies aren't given values of 15, 30, 90, and 180 oddly enough. They are given values of 1 (Bronze), 2 (Silver), 3 (Gold), and 4 (Platinum)

So earned trophies is:

• Bronze 3146 x 1 = 3146
  • Silver 1164 x 2 = 2328
  • Gold 284 x 3 = 852
  • Platinum 67 x 4 = 268
  • TOTAL = 6592

Unearned Trophies is:

• Bronze 181 x 1 = 181
  • Silver 94 x 2 = 188
  • Gold 36 x 3 = 108
  • Platinum 15 x 4 = 60
  • TOTAL = 537

So 537 + 6592 is 7131 total possible points I can earn.

6592/7131 = 92.46%!

Try it out on your profiles too :P You get each tier of unearned trophy by going to trophy advisor, turning DLC trophies on, then filtering only Gold, or only Bronze, etc...

"Average completion" is just an average of percents.

"Completion" is based on points/available points, platinums are not included.

• Like 1

"Average completion" is just an average of percents.

"Completion" is based on points/available points, platinums are not included.

Ahh, I see - So you do use 15, 30, and 90 for completion. You just exclude platinum points from it. Yeah, looks like you're right, I got 92.46% doing that as well xD Oh yeah, and I was saying "average completion" for that calculation instead of just "completion", sorry about that, bad habit of mine :P

Okay, so yup, Sly is right! Completion is points/available points, platinums are not included (Using 15, 30, 90). Though it's still odd how I got the same completion percentage using 1, 2, 3, and 4 (platinums included) lol.

Also, yeah as you said the average completion on the statistics page is different, average of percents.

We have figured out the great mystery! lol. We could've just waited until Sly woke up to tell us but hey, it was more fun this way, haha

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...