Playstation Vita Prototype

Venocide

Looks like the PSPgo. It has a SD card slot, one of Sony's biggest mistakes was removing that. 

Sony's PlayStation Vita didn't take the gaming world by storm unfortunately, but at one point in time it may have stood a better chance. One of the poorest decisions by the bigwigs at Sony was the use of propriety memory cards instead of the much cheaper and readily available SD cards. It's a decision which has baffled many and has more than likely swayed handheld gamers in the other direction.

But did you know that an early prototype of the Vita included a few features that are missing from today's iteration? A video of the prototype being man-handled shows an early version of the machine with a HDMI port for throwing the Vita's content onto a bigger screen, 12GB of internal memory, and an SD port to expand it.

It's truly a shame that Sony decided against SD cards and we're still very much peeved at the platform holder for such a cock-up. There's a video down below that's well worth a watch if you're interested in what could have been. Just look at that PSPgo design, man.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/08/ps_vita_prototype_looked_a_lot_like_the_pspgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=13&v=tWJEY9uDlfY

To me, it has a unique design, it kinda looks like a mushroom and I like some of the feature like the HDMI port and especially the SD card slot.

So yeah, shame on you Sony for making us buy that expensive Vita memory card.

Also Id wish the Vita never have the back touchpad. It useless and annoying..

^ This. The Vita's back surface is incredibly smooth, it would have been so much better to have it covering all of the console's back, but with the touchpad, we instead have a largely unused plastic surface.

Reminds me of that idea once where Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page wanted to form a band with Keith Moon and John Entwistle from The Who. Namely, it's OK to see what might've been, but it's still a bootleg version of Led Zeppelin.

It's ugly and too small, memory card prices are irrelevant to people with disposable income, and I'll never get the urge to root a handheld console to a TV with an HDMI port when you could be using it as a handheld.

• Like 1

The article author jumps to conclusion and is not fully informed. A prototype having an SD card slot doesn't say anything about the final product. It might as well be an early prototype where they just test the concept and design, and simply chose SD for easy debugging. And since it indeed is a different design, that seems highly plausible. Chances that they considered using SD for the final product is very low. It is part of the business plan, the Vita 1000 was very expensive to manufacture.

The Vita 1000 models does have HDMI out, although it is a proprietary port which requires a proprietary cable. Because of this they ditched that plan.

I have said it before and I say it again: the Vita could have been successful in the end if Sony had kept pushing it, just like the PSP. Or even the PS3 (my dear, the first two years were horrendous for the PS3!)

Couldn't watch the video "need to log in", wth...

• Like 1