Youtuber asks dev to pay $22,000 to feature their game...

PleaseHoldOn

Things like this shows how some of the big you-tubers just got lucky instead of using their brains. If a list does leak and we find out many big or upcoming you-tubers are on it, it could halt their gaming career. PPDP is probably too big, so he probably won't take a hit (he's like the TSwift of gaming), but I think people like Ali-a and others wouldn't survive or it will cause problems which means some could lose their sponsorships.

Can we stop treating these guys like their word is the gospel now?  Please?

In all fairness, some games would be nowhere near as popular as they are today if it weren't for some YouTubers.

If this is true, His best chance would be to encourage some lesser known YouTubers to play his game and hope it catches on. That happened with FNAF as Markiplier only played the game after seeing another YouTuber (yamimash) play it.

Should've named and shamed, people with that kind of greed clearly aren't the type of good people they proclaim themselves to be and they don't deserve the fanbase they have.

Not only that, but it would provide more evidence and would probably get said YouTuber talking. I couldn't find much on Faultline Games or GISP aside from NS2: Combat so I'm taking his word with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

In all fairness, some games would be nowhere near as popular as they are today if it weren't for some YouTubers.

Well, I certainly don't care about that.  Especially since those popular games are likely all indie titles that I didn't like in the first place.  Like FNAF.

What I care about is the countless times I've talked to people about a game, just to have my thoughts rebutted with a YouTube link.  People need to get a mind of their own.  And if it takes these YouTubers getting called out for being as corrupt as the major review websites/publications that have gotten lambasted over the years to do so, then so be it.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/3kefgi/asked_to_pay_22000_by_popular_youtuber_for_our/cuwv517

One case asked for $22,000.

Another asked for 5% gross profit for six months for one "15 minute positive review".

Can we stop treating these guys like their word is the gospel now?  Please?

The next post by them was removed for raising suspicious flags. Not sure how much i would read into it and believe

You mean to say that the video game industry is indulging in the time honored practice of payola? Not surprised.

Actually, I am surprised. Surprised that people would be the least bit shocked something like this would exist. People trading money for favorable reviews of something is as ancient as people giving their opinion on things you can buy is.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 3

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-09-02-ftc-slaps-machinima-for-deceptive-xbox-one-ad-campaign

I think this has to do with what a few posters were asking to know. Name and shames a few. But alludes to a bigger case of false advertising, etc issues that might arise. Also, the main thing that bothers me throughout all of this is: you can't make any "negative" statement in honest reviews anymore. There was another big article a year or so ago about amazon reviewers facing discrimination for that by possible future companies, looking to sell their product.

It's a common thing in the youtuber scene, nothing new really. Not saying that makes it right, as it's unethical to say the least unless it's fully disclosed. Then again... whoever bases their opinion of a game on what a youtuber says about it, should get themselves checked out. You've got a brain for something, bloody use it to form your own opinion.

It's a common thing in the youtuber scene, nothing new really. Not saying that makes it right, as it's unethical to say the least unless it's fully disclosed. Then again... whoever bases their opinion of a game on what a youtuber says about it, should get themselves checked out. You've got a brain for something, bloody use it to form your own opinion.

I can't imagine any good coming from disclosing that (besides it being the obvious ethical thing to do) since I'm sure a lot of people would immediately stop respecting them and/or stop watching them since they'll simply be giving a biased review.

I agree with your last point completely. I do want to add that if you're watching a review trying to decide if you want a game, you should watch more than one to try and see if maybe there's some bias going on. You shouldn't take the word of just one person.