Star Wars Battlefront: could have been a very different game

StrickenBiged

Leaked footage from Star Wars Battlefront 3, which was in development with Free Radical Design studios until LucasArts pulled the plug in 2006. 

In the video, you can clearly see space-to-ground and ground-to-space transitions, and battles which span entire areas of planets and cities. 

The gameplay appears to have been captured from multiplayer in some parts, and single player in others. Overall, it looks like a radically different game to that which EA is currently readying for launch, the Star Wars licence excepted, of course. 

More comments from Eurogamer here

___

EA/Dice had the skills to make a much better game, they just chose not to.

Why spend more time/money making a better game when most people will buy it anyway?

Why make a single player campaign when most people will buy it anyway?

Good job EA  :facepalm:

Yeah, I'm actually buying some Star Wars books with the money that was intended for Battlefront :D Good job EA, making people read books! :D

A Star Wars game without a story is like a sandwich without bread.

Edited by QuinlanLJ
  • Like 4

It was already leaked in '13 :P It's also good to mention that the cancelled BFIII did have a story, unlike EA's.

[video snip]

The Eurogamer article makes clear that this is a new leak. The footage is different and, based on my amateur comparison, it looks like the video in the OP is a bit further along in development.

Free Radical are too different to DICE, they are British and being British means they are automatically better. :awesome:

On a serious note, FR was miles ahead in the game in 2000 - 2008 they make Timesplitters and Second Sight. DICE are a beast company but their shooters always come out with some kind of glitches. 

• Like 1

What a shame that they will release this game with such a high potential without a campaign, just because they're focused now on the "12 years old kids community" (obviously because those spend more money on DLC's, season pass or whatever instead of someone who only plays a story once & puts his copy in his game collection) 

It's a ridiculous - but true - fact, that game industries today just thinking about their profit. 

(I actually don't want to make an offense on something, it's just my sight how I see it, nothing more)

A Star Wars game without a story is like a sandwich without bread.

My favourite parts of star wars, was when they discussed legislation and how people were violating peace treaties and demonstrating an act of war.

*insert Simpsons Cosmic Wars: The Gathering Shadow*

EA/Dice had the skills to make a much better game, they just chose not to.

Why spend more time/money making a better game when most people will buy it anyway?

Why make a single player campaign when most people will buy it anyway?

Good job EA  :facepalm:

This.

We all hate EA but lets face it they have some really smart and talented people working for them who if given the freedom could have made this game into something beyond our hopes and dreams. So far the game looks ok and fun but nothing like the first two.

• Like 1

Just wanna throw it out there since barely anyone played the PSP ones, Elite Squadron for PSP had

A (really fucking good) story campaign for single player

Traditional instant action mode with all the usual stuff

Relatively deep customization of your guy, story or not

Not just space battles, but also

The ability to go from shooting on ground into a ship and fight it out in space that everyone seems to really want nowadays

And it was a portable game. Some of you are bummed by the leaked footage about Battlefront 3, I'm bummed about the portable games being exceptional, and how good a proper PS3 Battlefront would have been.

And that kids, is why even though I enjoyed the Battlefront beta, I was immensely disappointed by it.

• Like 2

My favourite parts of star wars, was when they discussed legislation and how people were violating peace treaties and demonstrating an act of war.

*insert Simpsons Cosmic Wars: The Gathering Shadow*

I'm just gonna go ahead and think you're being sarcastic. Many people actually love the political part of the prequels. It was also necessary to have some politics in them just because of the fact that Obi Wan mentions, that there was a Galactic Republic before the Empire. They had to make some sort of storyline around the fall of the Republic, they couldn't just say "Woops, no more Republic, this is now an Empire.".

• 2 months later...

DICE/EA truly dropped the ball on this one. I've been a Battlefront fan ever since it came out abiut a decade ago, and the expectations for this game was high for them, which I am sure they understood seeing as they accepted to take on the challenge (unless they were forced to do it by EA) They're focus was the graphics and the authenticity. While it does look and sound amazing, the story, gameplay, and customizability lacks severely. They made the wrong move on investing heavily on recreating the scenes instead of the longetivity of their multiplayer game. The reason why its doubled the price for a quarter of a finished game is this: They cashed out taking the dev teams to the actual locations of where the movies took place and recreating them, add that with the increasing price of money it takes to make newer games, and you'll get an overpriced game with nice graphics and no substance. Its literally an outer shell that looks amazing with nothing inside.

I'd much rather pay $120 for a Battlefront with average/decent graphics that pay homage to the previous Battlefronts that includes everything that fans played and loved back when graphics meant nothing.

I remember seeing footage of that from way back. It looked so great. I would have loved to fly around on Coruscant and transition both space and ground battles. It's really sad knowing that Star Wars: Kinect is what took it's place at the time, and now this other Battlefront that's barely Battlefront at all. I guess it's too much to ask for a good Star Wars game now.