Doing a thing in school about video games

MarsipanRumpan

Hello.
Im working on a speech about why video games doesn't create violence as we often see in media (Especially News papers and TV)
Im asking for some help from the entire PSNP community here, I want to get as good of a grade possible. 
So does anyone of you have any links to articles, both for and against this topic, and maybe even stories of your own. It could totally be a story of your grandma saying something or a complete stranger.

I hope I can post this on PSNP and on the Off Topic area. If not, just close it. 

Thank you all for your help! :)

• Like 1

The number of people playing video-games has increased dramatically since videogames were created. 

If the position that videogames caused violence or agression were true, then with more and more people playing videogames we would expect to see more and more violence.

However, crime rates, and especially violent crime rates in the markets where videogames are typically available have gone down during the same time period. 

Look up the data for yourself which backs up all my statements above, and you have your talk. ;)

• Like 1

i mean, this is to me personally, but no doubt countless others, too

there are many video games i've played that have taught me things i hadn't known before and wouldn't have known otherwise as the schools here don't teach you about them

some quick examples would be mythology, greek, norse, other mythology

if mythology doesn't count as it's not "factual", then things like wars in our history, hundred years' war, the three kingdoms, japans samurai era etcetc

anywho back to my game about giant dragons and cyclops' people as i make it rain slimes!

In my personal experience:

• Games like Assassin's Creed and God of War helped me pass my history test. I'm not talking about things like Assassin's and Templars, but events, years and mythology.
  • After playing games for years my English has drastically improved (Dutch is my native language) up to the point where I'm among the best of my class for years when it comes to vocabulary, pronunciation, writing, and debating. I even passed as an American student more than once during the international studying week at the university (Dutch people usually have an awful accent when talking English).
  • Human stupidity knows no bounds: humans have been violent for as long as the race exists, while videogames have only been around for ~30 years (give or take). 
Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

Hello.

Im working on a speech about why video games doesn't create violence as we often see in media (Especially News papers and TV)

Im asking for some help from the entire PSNP community here, I want to get as good of a grade possible.

So does anyone of you have any links to articles, both for and against this topic, and maybe even stories of your own. It could totally be a story of your grandma saying something or a complete stranger.

I hope I can post this on PSNP and on the Off Topic area. If not, just close it.

Thank you all for your help! :)

If you want a good grade, you need to understand the concept of conclusions drawn, prior to investigation.

If you have not yet done the research, and read and assimilated all the information, (which you clearly havent, as you are asking for help to gather it here) then your sentence should read 'a speech about WHETHER videogames create violence'

I understand you clearly believe they do not (as do I, btw) but you can't decide your position and then go seeking information to back it up - that is shoddy work. Instead, you need to read informed argument from both sides of the arguement and then form an opinion.

Doing this will make your arguement stronger, whatever conclusion you draw, as you will be able to cite the examples and arguements of those you disagree wrh, and counter them effectively.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Movies have a longer history than Video Games and there have been far more violent Movies than violent Video Games.

Doom sold millions and yet an extremely small percentage of people that played that, went onto kill someone.

The media have an agenda to make Video Games look bad, Here's an example where a person was murdered and the media blamed the murder on 'Manhunt', However it's ironic that the Video Game was found in the Home of the Victim and not the Killer.

Link - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/new-twist-to-manhunt-murder-allegations

The first thing you should mention is the fact that games can and may be educational (Dragon made very good points).

Some people may look down on games just because they think they are pointless. 

That's true and that also annoys me that there are people who do think like that. If Video Games are pointless then I wonder what those people think about Sports or Movies or TV? Those things could be considered 'pointless' also, Then there's another thing to think about and that's - What's the point to anything? I'm being too Philosophical here lol

• 1 month later...